Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2016, 12:47 PM   #21
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

hit up sbarro's at 333 canal street?!?!

unlike having more than one hurricane at pat o'briens you wont regret this stop

oh and I have heard that you should bring beads, lots of beads......
Old 09-07-2016, 01:01 PM   #22
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroc View Post
Heading down with the wife. Definitely looking to party, as well as do some touristy things.

Regarding the actual Mardi Gras event... do you just stroll around the streets and look at boobs, or is there tickets for hosted parties that I should be looking into?
I think what most people don't realize is that Mardi Gras isn't an "event" exactly like stampede. Mardi Gras is just the one Tuesday in February or March. All the stuff that people usually associate with Mardi Gras is just the lead up to the final Tuesday. There are no tickets to get or anything. There's no particular place in the city that holds special events or anything. It's just a regional party for about a month. The events really are all the parades that happen in the city and surrounding area. Make sure to check out a few of them while you're there. The big one is Krewe of Bacchus that happens on fat Tuesday. They'll have a celebrity as the parade King.

Since you're in New Orleans, obviously check out Bourbon Street, but do not spend your whole trip there. Honestly as a local now, I haven't been there in months. It's just a giant tourist trap. Imagine the main strip in Banff but without the mountains.

The best part of the French Quarter in my opinion is Decatur Street. Take a walk down there, to Jackson Square. There's usually a bunch of street bands playing jazz music right in front of the church there. It's pretty awesome.

For partying, go down to Frenchman street. It's the birthplace of jazz music. There are a few live jazz venues along that street that are loads of fun. When my friends came to visit in May, we spent every night there and we had a blast. The party also doesn't stop in New Orleans. So you can be our until sun rise. Oh and the state of Louisiana allows open liquor in the streets. So go to a bar, buy a drink and ask for a to go container if you want to leave.

Make sure you get out to see the garden district and Magazine Street. It's where all the locals with some money live and hang out. Lots of good restaurants and bars there.

If you wanna get out of the city, I heard that the plantation tours are fantastic, but honestly I haven't gotten to do that yet.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to _Q_ For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2016, 01:05 PM   #23
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Go visit St. Francisville, LA - the home of great Louisianian novelist, Walker Percy.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 01:19 PM   #24
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post
I think what most people don't realize is that Mardi Gras isn't an "event" exactly like stampede. Mardi Gras is just the one Tuesday in February or March. All the stuff that people usually associate with Mardi Gras is just the lead up to the final Tuesday. There are no tickets to get or anything. There's no particular place in the city that holds special events or anything. It's just a regional party for about a month. The events really are all the parades that happen in the city and surrounding area. Make sure to check out a few of them while you're there. The big one is Krewe of Bacchus that happens on fat Tuesday. They'll have a celebrity as the parade King.

Since you're in New Orleans, obviously check out Bourbon Street, but do not spend your whole trip there. Honestly as a local now, I haven't been there in months. It's just a giant tourist trap. Imagine the main strip in Banff but without the mountains.

The best part of the French Quarter in my opinion is Decatur Street. Take a walk down there, to Jackson Square. There's usually a bunch of street bands playing jazz music right in front of the church there. It's pretty awesome.

For partying, go down to Frenchman street. It's the birthplace of jazz music. There are a few live jazz venues along that street that are loads of fun. When my friends came to visit in May, we spent every night there and we had a blast. The party also doesn't stop in New Orleans. So you can be our until sun rise. Oh and the state of Louisiana allows open liquor in the streets. So go to a bar, buy a drink and ask for a to go container if you want to leave.

Make sure you get out to see the garden district and Magazine Street. It's where all the locals with some money live and hang out. Lots of good restaurants and bars there.

If you wanna get out of the city, I heard that the plantation tours are fantastic, but honestly I haven't gotten to do that yet.
All good advice.

However if you work in O&G and have connections, lots of companies have parties during Mardi Gras.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 01:30 PM   #25
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

Frenchman Street was epic for jazz. If you want jazz on Bourbon you can try the Royal Sonesta Hotel. For the most part, though, Bourbon sucks. I spent the one night there, and then never left Frenchman Street.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to V For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2016, 01:34 PM   #26
jroc
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm actually staying at the Royal Sonesta! Good to hear that's a good spot on Bourbon! I guess I'll have to make it down to Frenchman Street quite a bit too.
jroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 09:39 PM   #27
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

Magazine street and frenchman quarter
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote