Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2024, 07:56 AM   #21
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Had to take my daughter to school for 730am and there was a ton of traffic every where.

16th is closed between Sarcee and Home Road has a huge impact.
Old 06-06-2024, 07:59 AM   #22
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Me looking at the Southerners for their water

nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2024, 08:00 AM   #23
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze2 View Post
Man, if one of my lines failed and impacted this many people I’d go to jail. Why the hell do we allow this. This line would score pretty damn high on the old risk matrix on the consequence side. Imagine if this was a gas line? CEO would be lynched. But it’s water so whatevs.
In the risk matrix it doesn’t end up very high though. You don’t kill anyone, it’s just water so environmental damage is low, you don’t really sell water so financial impact is negligible, cost to repair is a little more but doing NDE to avoid these incidents would be costly, so you are left with reputation which again doesn’t really matter when you have a monopoly. Sounds like a 2, not moving the needle.

I think the old risk matrix is why this type of event happens.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2024, 08:01 AM   #24
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Enjoy the hard water
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2024, 08:05 AM   #25
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Live update from the city:

Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2024, 08:08 AM   #26
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gondek literally just said Outdoor is the only true "no-go" but showers etc. are "strongly" recommended against for the time being.

Curious to see if we see much usage drop by homeowners. I WFH so I can be as greasy as I want but I'm sure most suckers that have to go into the office today did not/will not forgo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2024, 08:10 AM   #27
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:
Icon41

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Gondek literally just said Outdoor is the only true "no-go" but showers etc. are "strongly" recommended against for the time being.

Curious to see if we see much usage drop by homeowners. I WFH so I can be as greasy as I want but I'm sure most suckers that have to go into the office today did not/will not forgo.
I imagine a large percentage didn’t even know about it till after they showered and used the water this am.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2024, 08:10 AM   #28
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I got up early enough to beat the advisory and had already showered so I don't have this conundrum, but if I'm honest I would probably have taken a quick one regardless.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2024, 08:12 AM   #29
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm sure we can suck it up and pull off the shower where you briefly turn water off while soaping/shampooing.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2024, 08:12 AM   #30
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean if everyone knocks 5 mins off a shower that is substantial savings I'm sure.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2024, 08:13 AM   #31
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I imagine a large percentage didn’t even know about it till after they showered and used the water this am.
I literally got out of the shower to see the alert, so yeah, all the thousands of people that get to work at 7:30 or earlier likely went about their business as normal.
Old 06-06-2024, 08:15 AM   #32
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
God-damned pinkos at Silly Hall can screw themselves if they think us southsiders oughtta share our water with those miscreants up north! *shakes fist*
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2024, 08:15 AM   #33
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
In the risk matrix it doesn’t end up very high though. You don’t kill anyone, it’s just water so environmental damage is low, you don’t really sell water so financial impact is negligible, cost to repair is a little more but doing NDE to avoid these incidents would be costly, so you are left with reputation which again doesn’t really matter when you have a monopoly. Sounds like a 2, not moving the needle.

I think the old risk matrix is why this type of event happens.
And the AER would crucify you with this thinking. It would not be a low. Financial impact is huge. Tough to quantify but huge. It’s no one’s fault other than budgeting. We had a failure due to gravity. Didn’t impact anyone, just a fart of gas before esds kicked in. We now do geotechnical assessments of any line in a slope, drone mapping, depth of cover. Pinned to the wall because of a design flaw 40 years ago. Pipe fails and the entire city gets emergency texts, that keeps me up at night if I was the person responsible.2 not a chance 2.
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2024, 08:20 AM   #34
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just do your part. Drink beer, leave the water for fighting fires.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2024, 08:21 AM   #35
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
God-damned pinkos at Silly Hall can screw themselves if they think us southsiders oughtta share our water with those miscreants up north! *shakes fist*
Where once it was latte sippers vs. Yop gobblers, it is now Southies vs Northies.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2024, 08:22 AM   #36
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

I know enough about the line in question to know that it's a biiiiig ####ing feeder main; several feet in diameter. I didn't know it had been leaking since last night...

I bet we'll never know, but I wonder if the emergency alert went out because at this point, half a day later, the waterworks team couldn't get it fixed so to get it done ASAP they reckoned they'd hit the proverbial nuclear button and shut distribution from Bearspaw off entirely. Gnarly, if so.
The Following User Says Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2024, 08:23 AM   #37
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
City wide alert tells me that this break is significant enough and will probably take a while to fix resulting in water being redirected (is that possible?) from the Glenmore for the whole city now.

At least that’s my take as an armchair expert
That's not the Timun way of doing things though. He is one of our foremost experts.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2024, 08:25 AM   #38
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Where once it was latte sippers vs. Yop gobblers, it is now Southies vs Northies.
Oceania had always been at war with Eurasia!
The Following User Says Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
HHW
Old 06-06-2024, 08:25 AM   #39
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I know enough about the line in question to know that it's a biiiiig ####ing feeder main; several feet in diameter. I didn't know it had been leaking since last night...

I bet we'll never know, but I wonder if the emergency alert went out because at this point, half a day later, the waterworks team couldn't get it fixed so to get it done ASAP they reckoned they'd hit the proverbial nuclear button and shut distribution from Bearspaw off entirely. Gnarly, if so.
"Leaking" seems generous. The picture of shouldice looked like a lake.
Old 06-06-2024, 08:27 AM   #40
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Do they do inspections on this big pipe? I only know pressure pipe, are small leaks just common? You probably can’t pressure test these lines, do they have inspection pigs of some sort? Just curious. Cameras? But you have to shut down for inspections.
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote