Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2009, 01:06 AM   #21
Human Torch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
The interference calls from when I'm trying to one time pucks drive me insane. I get at least 2 or 3 a game.
Hold L2, this was patched in quite some time ago.
Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Human Torch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2009, 09:17 AM   #22
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hey guys, I got my first look write up posted over at the EA Forums
http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/233172.page
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2009, 10:18 AM   #23
HOOT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't know if this has been talked about but what about Fantasy Draft?

I've decided not* to buy another NHL game until this feature becomes available.

*I say that now but it will probably change by Sept. like every year
HOOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 12:00 PM   #24
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Thanks very much for the write-up Jobo. Some comments:

Board play - That sounds really awesome. One of the previous games had tie-ups on the boards that were fun to get into, but they weren't overly effective. The fact that you can battle and kick the puck loose sounds very intense.

Soft/hard passes
- At first I was a little hesitant about how much I'd like this idea, but I'm starting to come around on it. I love the addition of the soft and hard passes. So often I want to send a bullet pass and it ends up just being an awkward floater. I also like the idea of banking the passes off the boards.

The Crowd is alive - I'm not holding my breath, but this does excite me. For whatever reason when I get scored on at home and fans wearing my teams jersey stand up and clap it really bothers me. When you say the crowds are smart this year I really want to believe you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOT View Post
Don't know if this has been talked about but what about Fantasy Draft?

I've decided not* to buy another NHL game until this feature becomes available.

*I say that now but it will probably change by Sept. like every year
They seem to be rolling out the updates in 3 chunks. There was a tweet that was sent out asking people who they wanted to hear from first, the gameplay guy, the dynasty guy or the online guy. I guess we'll find out about fantasy drafts when the dynasty guy talks.

Last edited by Russic; 05-15-2009 at 12:04 PM.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 12:18 PM   #25
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flip View Post
Skill stick was kind of a big deal but didn't change how you play the game much. Just how the actual person handles their controller. Play creation and Practice are good but REALLY minor changes IMO.

Be a pro is good in theory but has so many glitches and problems that like I said before, by the time they fix it, it'll be NHL 2012 and really it should be a free patch for 09 that fixes the glitches.

At most there should be a new NHL every 2-4 years, no more often. They should have frequent FREE patches that fix minor but annoying glitches. Even if the patches cost like $10 it would be worth it.

As it stands now the system of minor updates to actual gameplay and AI are few and far between and for $70 a year I feel ripped off and trust me I play a lot of NHL.
How would they make money? I absolutely understand your point, but chances are all this would do would be to appease people like me and you. I think they rely a lot on the buzz these games generate for sales, and having them only come out every few years would really kill that.

Technically, can't you pretty much emulate exactly what you want? If you want major updates every 2-4 years, couldn't you just play 09 until 12 comes out? True you wouldn't get constant gameplay updates, but you would save the $$.
Old 05-15-2009, 01:23 PM   #26
flip
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
How would they make money? I absolutely understand your point, but chances are all this would do would be to appease people like me and you. I think they rely a lot on the buzz these games generate for sales, and having them only come out every few years would really kill that.

Technically, can't you pretty much emulate exactly what you want? If you want major updates every 2-4 years, couldn't you just play 09 until 12 comes out? True you wouldn't get constant gameplay updates, but you would save the $$.
That is exactly what I do. I haven't bought 09, although I've played it quite a bit. Before 08 I had 06 for a few years.

Sounds like EA is getting closer to a good game this year. I'll probably end up buying it.
flip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 03:30 PM   #27
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flip View Post
That is exactly what I do. I haven't bought 09, although I've played it quite a bit. Before 08 I had 06 for a few years.

Sounds like EA is getting closer to a good game this year. I'll probably end up buying it.
Then I think we've reached the end of the debate. I think you'll be pleased with 10. It sounds like big changes came last year and with 10 they focused on ironing out the kinks (which were there).
Old 05-15-2009, 03:44 PM   #28
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

I wonder if the ducking during fighting will make use of the accelerometer in the SIXAXIS controller for PS3? That would be great!
Old 05-15-2009, 04:08 PM   #29
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have no problem buying hockey games every year. It's $60 for hours and hours of gameplay. I play around 300 games per year (1 a day), so it's well worth my cash.

I think I have purchased every single game from 2000 onwards (bought 2K games in 2000 and 2004).

09 was the best hockey game ever made, and these finishing touches are just going to polish it up.
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 04:09 PM   #30
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

^^^The worst EA NHL game in my opinion was 2005. Hit fest with no create a player! Brutal year!
Old 05-15-2009, 04:16 PM   #31
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper is King View Post
^^^The worst EA NHL game in my opinion was 2005. Hit fest with no create a player! Brutal year!
2004 was far and away my least favorite. I swear the players actually tried to go offside, if you carried the puck within 5 feet of the blue line your guy would make a massive auto deke to take the puck out of the zone and bring it back in immediately, and the glass would break about twice each game.
Old 05-15-2009, 04:28 PM   #32
Cliche
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think I said it earlier before, but with EASHL it's pretty much an MMO now, and viewing from the games played not including the offline component, I've got over 300(Some should have their virtual silver sticks already) games played. I'll probably wind up swapping or getting credit at an EBgames for 09 when I get 10, even if it is a dollar.

I'm also hoping that they'll rectify the stats some how. Pulling stats manually was a chore, and if you look at say... DICE's Battlefield series, they had web-accessible stats for a while now.

Still the greater emphasis on physical play benefits my play style, although it seems I'll have to work on positioning my player again. (LW is now strange to play, as well as RD) No more chip puck ahead, check(poke or otherwise) and recover puck on gaining the offensive zone.

Also with regards to video etc, it'd be incredibly difficult to improve the rendering engine, and most of the work should be on underlying game mechanics and generating new animations.

Last edited by Cliche; 05-15-2009 at 04:34 PM.
Cliche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 07:33 PM   #33
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I am really looking forward to the new board work and physical aspects.

Those are two things I already model my game after. I am very much a boards, pass, pass, shot guy, and you just can't get that in this game.

I wonder, if you will be able to call for different velocity passes, or will the AI know, depending on how far you are?

It would be nice to get a nice laser for a one timer, but a nice softy to tea it up in the slot.

Interesting options.

Boy am I looking forward to running guys through the boards, knowing it will pay off in the later periods...and hopefully, late in series'.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 09:45 PM   #34
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Hopefully they add Goalie fighting, goalie penalties (like slash players when your the goalie and someone is near the crease). It would be good to update the goalie, as he is rather bland now (yet fun), like slashing people, pushing people, tripping people. Although not everything is called, only sometimes.

A update to the Dekes would be nice too, more selection and fluidity. Drop passes, like real ones.

But the most IMPORTANT THING!! NO MORE REPLAYS ONLINE!! For Ranked matches it is ok because most people don't watch them, but for OTP someone ALWAYS watches ALL of them, and it ruins the game. A 20 minute game turns into 45 minutes because of this. I am sure EA WON'T fix this, but it would be so much better if they did. Also, when someone pauses, it doesn't pause the game for everyone, because again, people always wait the ENTIRE 30 seconds, it is a waste of my time, that I want to be playing the game, not have a stupid "Waiting for user" screen.

Please EA fix this!!!!!! Talk some reason into them Jobo.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 09:51 PM   #35
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

jobo, any effort to get more american minor leagues in there? for years we have had a bunch of european leagues, but only recently got even the ahl. i know the european teams help sales over there, but i think a similar approach would help american sales.

i had not bought an nhl game in years till i found out i could be QC in nhl 08. thats what got me back into it. even if its just the echl, its making a huge step into getting more americans to get psyched about the game.
This individual is not affluent and more of a member of that shrinking middle class. It is likely the individual does not have a high paying job, is limited on benefits, and has to make due with those benefits provided by employer.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 10:24 PM   #36
flamestalker
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbles View Post
jobo, any effort to get more american minor leagues in there? for years we have had a bunch of european leagues, but only recently got even the ahl. i know the european teams help sales over there, but i think a similar approach would help american sales.

i had not bought an nhl game in years till i found out i could be QC in nhl 08. thats what got me back into it. even if its just the echl, its making a huge step into getting more americans to get psyched about the game.
Maybe the Canadian Junior Leagues? I like the idea of more American minor leagues too.

Are you guys gonna make the wireless motion control as part of the fighting? Maybe pushing the control forward to jab your opponent with your hand on the player?
flamestalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 01:56 AM   #37
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper is King View Post
Yeah I think I played about ten games in 05 before going back to 04. Terrible game.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 11:11 AM   #38
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamestalker View Post
Maybe the Canadian Junior Leagues? I like the idea of more American minor leagues too.

Are you guys gonna make the wireless motion control as part of the fighting? Maybe pushing the control forward to jab your opponent with your hand on the player?
i am sure that would be hugely popular for you guys too. obviously sales are strongest in canada so it might have the toughest justification in sales, but i think its worth it too.

i can honestly say i have never played games as the european teams. for the most part i don't know any of the players and just really am not that into it. however i have loved playing ahl games as i know most of the players.
This individual is not affluent and more of a member of that shrinking middle class. It is likely the individual does not have a high paying job, is limited on benefits, and has to make due with those benefits provided by employer.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 08:52 PM   #39
Bibtin Tex
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
The interference calls from when I'm trying to one time pucks drive me insane. I get at least 2 or 3 a game.
hold left trigger for xbox 360 (don;t know ps3 controls) and then you are alwasy ready to one time it, only in the offensive zone though
Bibtin Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 05:40 PM   #40
dustyanddaflames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Hey jobo, when can we expect some more screens of NHL 10 or even maybe a video or two... cant lie, I am getting a little happy in my pants thinking about this game...
dustyanddaflames is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ea sports , hockey , nhl 10 , soundtrack , video games