Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2013, 08:29 AM   #21
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

I actually see this having little benefit to current Steam users outside of those that:

A) Have money to burn.
B) Are looking to upgrade their current systems.
C) Want to play their games on a TV and either don't want to move their PC around or would like a dedicated box.

This really all about Valve trying to grab some of the console market. And as Rathji pointed out, a lot of people simply don't understand how much better Steam really is.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:52 AM   #22
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
I actually see this having little benefit to current Steam users outside of those that:

A) Have money to burn.
B) Are looking to upgrade their current systems.
C) Want to play their games on a TV and either don't want to move their PC around or would like a dedicated box.

This really all about Valve trying to grab some of the console market. And as Rathji pointed out, a lot of people simply don't understand how much better Steam really is.
Gaming enthusiasts have always been primarily PC gamers, and enthusiasts are what drive the market. Once a few console only kids visit their friends who have a Steam box running most of the same games they have on their Xbox but paid a fraction of the price for, they're going to get interested. All Valve really has to do to drive sales is to get some killer Steam exclusive titles, namely Half-Life 3 (which I'm betting has been delayed just for this purpose)

There's a reason that you've seen Sony and more recently Microsoft get more aggressive in their online distribution methods, Valve trying to expand beyond the desktop PC into the living room represents a big threat to them
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:01 AM   #23
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Gaming enthusiasts have always been primarily PC gamers, and enthusiasts are what drive the market. Once a few console only kids visit their friends who have a Steam box running most of the same games they have on their Xbox but paid a fraction of the price for, they're going to get interested. All Valve really has to do to drive sales is to get some killer Steam exclusive titles, namely Half-Life 3 (which I'm betting has been delayed just for this purpose)

There's a reason that you've seen Sony and more recently Microsoft get more aggressive in their online distribution methods, Valve trying to expand beyond the desktop PC into the living room represents a big threat to them
Exactly. Valve is a threat because Sony and MS are so far behind in regards to the digital distribution sphere. And let's not forget the new family sharing plan that Steam is now beta testing. That is HUGE. It's a feature Microsoft really nailed for the Xbox One and it's a major blow to the system now that it's been removed. Say you convince a few of your more "casual" friends to try a Steam box then you can instantly lend them hundreds of games to get them hooked.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:52 AM   #24
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm a console gamer who doesn't do any PC gaming. I like console gaming because I never have to mess around with compatibility issues and upgrading to the latest video cards or getting a better processor to run the latest and greatest games. I pop the game into my PS3 / PS4, and I know it will run, and run optimally. No screwing around with settings.

Now, I haven't done any PC gaming in 10+ years, but I remember the whole nightmare of it back in the day with games like NHL97, Need for Speed 2, etc.

Maybe it's changed now, who knows. But I'm not a FPS or RTS gamer anyways (play mostly JRPG), so I guess I'm probably not this thing's intended audience.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:14 AM   #25
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
I'm a console gamer who doesn't do any PC gaming. I like console gaming because I never have to mess around with compatibility issues and upgrading to the latest video cards or getting a better processor to run the latest and greatest games. I pop the game into my PS3 / PS4, and I know it will run, and run optimally. No screwing around with settings.

Now, I haven't done any PC gaming in 10+ years, but I remember the whole nightmare of it back in the day with games like NHL97, Need for Speed 2, etc.

Maybe it's changed now, who knows. But I'm not a FPS or RTS gamer anyways (play mostly JRPG), so I guess I'm probably not this thing's intended audience.
This is exactly the point of a Steam box. They're basically making a consolized PC that you simply hook up to your TV. Do honestly think that the only games on PC are FPS and RTS? Name a AAA console release that isn't a first party exclusive and I'd almost guarentee that it's on PC/Steam. There are tons of platformers, RPGs, racing, adventure and indie games. A lot of games work with 360 controllers right off the bat. I don't see why you'd NEED to upgrade anything on one of these Steam boxes provided they have similar specs/price to a PS4/One.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:33 AM   #26
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's definitely interesting to me.
I'm a Mac user, and obviously I dislike the lack of Mac games, but hate needing to dual-boot to access the games I'd like to play. I don't own a console, because typically the games I'm interested in are more likely to be for computer than console. And I really like the convenience of the Steam distribution model. This ticks a lot of boxes for me and I'll definitely be keeping an eye on it to see if it does really fit my needs.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:02 AM   #27
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does Steam offer sports games? What about the market that wants to play NHL, FIFA or Madden against their buddies while having a few beers? Consoles are perfect for that.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:13 AM   #28
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
Does Steam offer sports games? What about the market that wants to play NHL, FIFA or Madden against their buddies while having a few beers? Consoles are perfect for that.
Considering EA has a monopoly on sports games and they started their own online distribution platform to compete against Steam I doubt SteamOS will ever compete in that genre
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:16 AM   #29
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
Steam has some sports games. Mostly of the 2K variety. However, these Steam boxes will be able to run other PC games as well so you aren't limited to only what's available on Steam. I know that FIFA is available via Origin and I believe Madden is returning to PC this year.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:20 AM   #30
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Steam also carries a lot of racing games, and a boatload of the "Manager" series games which are very very very popular.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:22 AM   #31
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Steam also carries a lot of racing games, and a boatload of the "Manager" series games which are very very very popular.
So popular that Football Manager is a playable "character" in Sonic Racing.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cDnStealth For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2013, 11:24 AM   #32
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

And to the surprise of no one and disappointment of everyone, Valve's final announcement is a controller and not a certain third game.

http://store.steampowered.com/living...eamController/

Spoiler for size
Spoiler!

The thing looks funky. It's an interesting idea and it's neat that they've thought of left handed people. Sound like the entire design will evolve based on beta tester feedback.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:10 PM   #33
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
And to the surprise of no one and disappointment of everyone, Valve's final announcement is a controller and not a certain third game.
Arg man, I'm not a hardcore gamer by any means, so my opinion is probably worth squat...but..

Two trackpads, is this like the iPad's virtual controls? If so then pass, I'll stick with PS4. The sole reason I do not buy iPad games is that my fingers hurt from smashing them into a hard surface after 20 minutes of playing. This appears to be the same thing.

And as someone who is a HL fan, I completely agree with you. However, I have totally given up that I will ever see a decent HL sequel in my life time.

Probably turn into the Duke Nukem joke, 10 years from now, just to kick me square in the junk.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 04:57 PM   #34
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think it will be like the iPad controls. Seems like an interesting idea, but definitely would need to try it out first.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:07 PM   #35
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
Arg man, I'm not a hardcore gamer by any means, so my opinion is probably worth squat...but..

Two trackpads, is this like the iPad's virtual controls? If so then pass, I'll stick with PS4. The sole reason I do not buy iPad games is that my fingers hurt from smashing them into a hard surface after 20 minutes of playing. This appears to be the same thing.

And as someone who is a HL fan, I completely agree with you. However, I have totally given up that I will ever see a decent HL sequel in my life time.

Probably turn into the Duke Nukem joke, 10 years from now, just to kick me square in the junk.
Without even trying one I couldn't even begin to guess how they would function. I am not a fan of track pads. I hate using those things on laptops. That being said, I can see the potential depending on what the material is like. I wouldn't be trading in my current controllers but I'd be interested in trying one out.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:42 PM   #36
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not to mention I would be shocked if someone didn't release a version of MotionJoy or something similar for SteamOS that enables the use of PS3/4 or 360/One pads very quickly.

Quote:
Old 09-28-2013, 11:59 AM   #37
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Ok so here's a question for you nerds:

I'm going to be building an HTPC in the next few weeks/months. What should I be holding out for in relation to this steam OS?

Is there a baseline for components that would be recommended to run this OS?
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:33 PM   #38
LockedOut
Franchise Player

Exp:

Steam Machine specs for a prototype revealed by Valve. No mention of price but looks pretty damn expensive to me at least on the high end.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/valve-r...totype-6415349
LockedOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:49 PM   #39
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Steam Machine and SteamOS are two different beasts (though Steam Machines will likely run SteamOS).

What kind of HTPC is required to run SteamOS stably is unknown. I honestly would just build a minimum spec PC with a half decent CPU for the time being. Don't bother with a GPU until it's known whether one (or a minimum one at least) is required.

Quote:
Old 10-04-2013, 10:38 PM   #40
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockedOut View Post
Steam Machine specs for a prototype revealed by Valve. No mention of price but looks pretty damn expensive to me at least on the high end.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/valve-r...totype-6415349
A beast like that might as well be running Windows, no need to gimp it with a streamlined OS.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote