Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2024, 11:14 AM   #21
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
To me the problem of McMahon is the gameday experience. It's not the marketing or the product. And sure, maybe they do have more fans, but it's still a cavern. I suppose YMMV, but I'd rather have a more out of the way place like Spruce Meadows and a better gameday experience personally.
I will always remember playing a Provincial League final at McMahon stadium.

Initially we thought it would be so cool! McMahon!! It was going to be awesome!

Do you want to know what the environment of McMahon stadium is like when you're playing in front of a raucous crowd of about 50 people?

Its not good.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2024, 11:14 AM   #22
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

McMahon is Centrally located???

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2024, 11:16 AM   #23
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
McMahon is Centrally located???
Hm...yeah. Its pretty much in the centre of the City and pretty close to an LRT station.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2024, 11:18 AM   #24
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Hm...yeah. Its pretty much in the centre of the City and pretty close to an LRT station.
Nah I reckon it isn't.

Certainly it is easier with C-Train, but it isn't central IMO

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2024, 11:28 AM   #25
Addick
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
To me the problem of McMahon is the gameday experience. It's not the marketing or the product. And sure, maybe they do have more fans, but it's still a cavern. I suppose YMMV, but I'd rather have a more out of the way place like Spruce Meadows and a better gameday experience personally.
Yup, I totally get it. Watching Mustangs games at McMahon led me to believe that the venue is probably incompatible with footy. However, the Cavs surprised me with ATCO Field and I would love for Wild FC to do the same even if they have a much larger challenge.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”

- Roberta Brandes Gratz
Addick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Addick For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2024, 11:29 AM   #26
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Even a packed McMahon would have a terrible atmosphere for a soccer game. It’s about as bad a location I could think of. Playing out of there is a recipe for failure if you ask me.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2024, 11:34 AM   #27
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Nah I reckon it isn't.

Certainly it is easier with C-Train, but it isn't central IMO
In a city that goes from 144th Ave North to 212 Ave South, I'd suggest an address on 24th Ave is fairly central.

As for atmosphere, as somebody that is a Dino football season ticket holder, 2000 people @ McMahon doesn't make for a great atmosphere. 7000 is better (that's one side almost half full), but I'm not sure that is a reasonable expectation.
Hopefully the new turf coming in will not have any lines sewed in.
Old 05-31-2024, 04:19 PM   #28
ditty
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I'm really interested to see how this team is received by both the soccer community as well as the general public.

I've been a Cavs season ticket holder in 109 since the beginning and have brought quite a few general sports fans to games. Those who returned all cited the atmosphere as the biggest reason. The Foot Soldiers have created something that is so unique to other sports events in the city and I feel that's become the major draw for your average sports fan who catches the odd Cavalry game. Little kids who don't care about the soccer love jumping up and down, kicking the metal floor and banging the drums. I honestly think the fan atmosphere has been possibly the key component to whatever success the Cavs have had in drawing your average sports fan or family to Spruce Meadows. When I've watched the odd game on the other end of the main stand (section 102 or 103), the experience is vastly different. It feels like any other sporting event. When I'm in 109, I know I'm somewhere very unique in the sports landscape in Canada.

I have heard a few people share with me that they think Cavs tickets are overpriced and I tend to agree. I think my season tickets are priced quite fairly (though they're the lowest in the main stand) but the price I pay jumps around $10 to $40 if you buy my seat for a single match. $40 to sit basically in line with the six yard box is overpriced, in my opinion. But, Surge basketball tickets seem even pricier and I think the Surge is a good comparable when it comes to the level of the leagues. So, maybe I'm kind of stuck in the 90s when it comes to what I think is fair value for entertainment.

I do think the Wild have an opportunity to develop a niche market, naturally including families with girls who play soccer but also families just generally looking to attend a sports game. But I'm in agreement with others who say that playing out of McMahon will seriously hamper the game day experience. Will the advantage of being in a much more central location than Spruce Meadows help balance that out? I'm really not sure. If your natural target market is families and you play on the weekend, is LRT access that much of a carrot? If Wild tickets are, say, 20% cheaper than Cavs tickets, does that tip the scales for some people? I really don't know.

Anyway, I will definitely attend Wild games and I look forward to seeing what kind of fan experience and on field product the club creates. The league and the club seem pretty solidly financed, so that's encouraging. The salary cap level indicates to me that they will be able to attract some good talent, both in North America and beyond.

As someone who attended Calgary Boomers games in 1981 and supported every pro soccer team in the city since, I never thought I'd see the day where Calgary would support pro soccer, long term. Now we've got the opportunity to support two teams in this city. It's a great time to be alive as a Calgary soccer fan.

Last edited by ditty; 05-31-2024 at 04:23 PM.
ditty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ditty For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2024, 06:22 PM   #29
Howie_16
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

When can we expect the Wild to play their first home match? I want to be there!
Howie_16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2024, 10:39 AM   #30
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
From what I've heard, Spruce Meadows were asking an insane amount to rent their stadium...
Was talking to a few people last night after we got flooded out of Shouldice.

Someone mentioned there should be a triple header at Spruce Meadows.

Cav's league one team followed by the women's game and then a CPL game.

One price ticket gets you in for all three. Logistically could be an issue but it was an interesting idea.

Mccree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mccree For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2024, 12:00 PM   #31
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Now that would be a fun day.
Old 06-11-2024, 10:03 AM   #32
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

The league has signed a multi year deal with CBC.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/cbc...ague-1.7230184
The Following User Says Thank You to Swift For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2024, 10:41 AM   #33
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great for the league to get exposure on TSN and CBC, which hopefully leads to more butts in seats at the end of the day. I would be surprised if any TV money comes into the league but maybe NSL is more valuable to these networks than CPL.

Also maybe this means that games won't just be called and covered out of a broom closet in Toronto...

Last edited by shermanator; 06-11-2024 at 12:16 PM.
shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 10:51 AM   #34
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is kind of laughable that the CBC signs a deal with the NSL but never the CPL.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 04:20 PM   #35
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

^ They did have a deal with CPL, it just didn't last long.

CBC was in on MLS and NSL. I'd argue they helped grow the MLS in Canada quite a bit in the early days. Such a shame they bailed on the CPL so quickly.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2024, 10:34 PM   #36
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
^ They did have a deal with CPL, it just didn't last long.

CBC was in on MLS and NSL. I'd argue they helped grow the MLS in Canada quite a bit in the early days. Such a shame they bailed on the CPL so quickly.
Or that the CPL 'bailed' on them to go to a narrowcasting choice?
The Following User Says Thank You to Julio For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2024, 12:16 AM   #37
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, there are more larger corporate national sponsors behind the NSL compared to the CPL, similar to the PWHL after they unified their pro leagues and got a business plan in place which attracted corporate and media partners.

The CPL and CSB took the MediaPro income and kept both a defined income stream and the control over the media partner. Same goes for some sponsorship.
browna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 01:34 AM   #38
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

SAIT? Perhaps get in while they’re still building, and get stands thrown in?
Mount Royal 1?!

The most ideal solution, is to have the semi pro clubs get involved with the city and the foothills renovation (field house)..
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 07:58 PM   #39
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
northern super league , soccer