Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2022, 12:22 PM   #21
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
The Colorado watershed is under a great deal of stress and the states that rely on it have been put on notice to better manage its resources. In Arizona we are already feeling the pinch as feed lots and associated alfalfa fields are being shuttered. Alfalfa, used for cattle feed, is a very water intensive crop. The other plant in these fields, cycled in to keep the soil somewhat healthy, is cotton which is also very water intensive. There is a shift going on and farmers are now selling off their properties for development, which just increases urban sprawl and demand for water. Thankfully residential water use is a smaller impact and rationing in this regard is not expected. Industrial and agricultural use will feel the pinch as the State moves forward in protecting this precious resource. Of the seven states who gain benefit from this watershed, Arizona is listed as priority six, so we have to really manage our resources carefully. What makes the issue more difficult is the increase in soluble solids in the water because of additional runoff as a result of wild fires. Our aging critical infrastructure continues to be stressed because of changes in turbidity and the demand for clean drinking water. It is a significant concern, but one the state and municipalities are doing their best to manage. No panic yet, but agencies are keeping a very close eye on things.
Peggy Hill stated it the best

Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2022, 01:49 PM   #22
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
I’m not sure that is entirely accurate.
Vancouver seems to have no issues dumping their sewage into the ocean. It’s a little hypocritical I would say.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 01:51 PM   #23
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I blame Phoenix.

In all seriousness, Canada has to start taking major efforts to protect our water. We have the largest fresh water sources in the world, and they're gonna come for it.
Old 05-01-2022, 02:10 PM   #24
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
I blame Phoenix.

In all seriousness, Canada has to start taking major efforts to protect our water. We have the largest fresh water sources in the world, and they're gonna come for it.
My favorite was a fully fledged out plan to flood a large portion of the east side of the Kootaneys, through the Shuswap basin I think, creating a massive reservoir that could then be piped down to the south. In the early 2000s. It even went as far as to map out potential costs, which were reasonable because water is essentially free!

Soon after there was a mini-series put out called H20, that starred Paul Gross and dealt with the political side of a future water war. I should watch it again, the replay will probably hit harder nowadays.
Old 05-01-2022, 02:17 PM   #25
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
My favorite was a fully fledged out plan to flood a large portion of the east side of the Kootaneys, through the Shuswap basin I think, creating a massive reservoir that could then be piped down to the south. In the early 2000s. It even went as far as to map out potential costs, which were reasonable because water is essentially free!

Soon after there was a mini-series put out called H20, that starred Paul Gross and dealt with the political side of a future water war. I should watch it again, the replay will probably hit harder nowadays.
There were proposed plans several years ago to dam James Bay and turn it into a large fresh water reservoir for export. I can't imagine how difficult the engineering would be or how expensive it would be. One day it might make sense to go forward with something like that. From what I recall at the time, it made more sense to do something like that in the east as opposed to the west because the topography would facilitate the flow of water south more easily without the need for a lot of pumping.

i am not worried about the U.S. ever invading Canada for water, but there may come a day where they put substantial economic and political pressure on us to sell them water.
Old 05-01-2022, 04:14 PM   #26
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Vancouver seems to have no issues dumping their sewage into the ocean. It’s a little hypocritical I would say.
It was the 5th world city Victoria, but they finally have a wastewater plant in 2021 after going more than 127 years without one...!!!!

If you ever get told off by a Victorian about climate issues and tar sands, tell them to get bent.
Old 05-01-2022, 04:14 PM   #27
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
There were proposed plans several years ago to dam James Bay and turn it into a large fresh water reservoir for export. I can't imagine how difficult the engineering would be or how expensive it would be. One day it might make sense to go forward with something like that. From what I recall at the time, it made more sense to do something like that in the east as opposed to the west because the topography would facilitate the flow of water south more easily without the need for a lot of pumping.

i am not worried about the U.S. ever invading Canada for water, but there may come a day where they put substantial economic and political pressure on us to sell them water.
We’ll sell them Edmonton’s water and keep the good stuff for ourselves.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 04:14 PM   #28
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also California had record snow fall levels in December and it's still in a mega drought.

Game over man!
Old 05-01-2022, 04:20 PM   #29
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Can't remember, does Airdrie have its own water supply?
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 04:24 PM   #30
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Can't remember, does Airdrie have its own water supply?
Buy from Calgary
FormerPresJamesTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 04:35 PM   #31
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
It was the 5th world city Victoria, but they finally have a wastewater plant in 2021 after going more than 127 years without one...!!!!

If you ever get told off by a Victorian about climate issues and tar sands, tell them to get bent.
Dilution in the ocean was a good solution for Victoria. It had fairly minimal impact of the pipes were maintained. Just because dumping raw sewage sounds terrible doesn’t mean it is. We should be supporting things like sewer dumping because it was a sound practice over allowing emotional wins.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2022, 04:55 PM   #32
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Dilution in the ocean was a good solution for Victoria. It had fairly minimal impact of the pipes were maintained. Just because dumping raw sewage sounds terrible doesn’t mean it is. We should be supporting things like sewer dumping because it was a sound practice over allowing emotional wins.
Was a good solution? lol sounds like typical hypocrite Victorian excuses. but big bad pipelines are bad... They deserve $2.20/litre gas.

If was such a good idea why would all other major North American coastal cities have sewage plants?
Old 05-01-2022, 05:28 PM   #33
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
I blame Phoenix.

My town sold ours to Nestle for penny’s… yay.

Stop buying bottled water you jackoffs.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2022, 06:43 PM   #34
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Was a good solution? lol sounds like typical hypocrite Victorian excuses. but big bad pipelines are bad... They deserve $2.20/litre gas.

If was such a good idea why would all other major North American coastal cities have sewage plants?
Victoria is unique being on an island out in deeper waters with rapid currents.

The issue is that they are anti pipeline not that they are pro sewer pipe. You being anti sewer pipe is as ridiculous as them being anti pipeline.

How can you expect them to educate themselves on the advantages of pipelines when you refuse to do the same.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...-alone-alberta

The actual linked editorial of ocean scientists referenced in the above is better but I can’t seem to access it anymore. But the gist is that once you are away from the outflow pipe the sewage is not detectable.

Last edited by GGG; 05-01-2022 at 06:48 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2022, 07:59 PM   #35
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Victoria is unique being on an island out in deeper waters with rapid currents.

The issue is that they are anti pipeline not that they are pro sewer pipe. You being anti sewer pipe is as ridiculous as them being anti pipeline.

How can you expect them to educate themselves on the advantages of pipelines when you refuse to do the same.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...-alone-alberta

The actual linked editorial of ocean scientists referenced in the above is better but I can’t seem to access it anymore. But the gist is that once you are away from the outflow pipe the sewage is not detectable.
Lame. I guess you guys don't mind swimming in pee pee and poo poo water...

If it was such a non-issue why did they finally build a treatment plant? Why was Mr. Floatie a thing? Why was Washington State filing lawsuits and promoting tourism boycotts.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...lant-1.5867582

Old 05-01-2022, 08:01 PM   #36
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Climate change and overconsumption.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 09:33 PM   #37
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Lame. I guess you guys don't mind swimming in pee pee and poo poo water...

If it was such a non-issue why did they finally build a treatment plant? Why was Mr. Floatie a thing? Why was Washington State filing lawsuits and promoting tourism boycotts.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...lant-1.5867582

Because the anti pipeline activists you are calling hypocrites control enough of the Victoria/BC political process they decided to waste a billion dollars. Why do pipelines get protested? It’s simply because emotions are more powerful then logic.

You might say that foreign interests funded activism against a pipeline.

Also the BC and Federal governments mandated they had to treat the effluent. The science to support spending 1 billion on treatment just doesn’t exist. The Tyee has a good discussion. The argument for treatment is essentially ethical and What-If

https://thetyee.ca/News/2016/08/24/V...age-Treatment/

I assume that you go swimming 1km offshore and 40m deep right?

Edit: one more thing to add, Why are you repeating Danielle Smith and Brian Jean talking points?

Last edited by GGG; 05-01-2022 at 09:47 PM.
Old 05-01-2022, 10:12 PM   #38
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know why you guys are talking about Victoria. Acidification is a global problem. Think the Yangtze, Pearl, Ganges, or Kavari where everything down current at the mouth is dead. Hypoxia in the South China Sea and South Pacific. These are way bigger problems than pipelines, but NIMBY.
Old 05-02-2022, 08:21 AM   #39
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Climate change and overconsumption.
This is amazing. Obviously it was climate change! If only everyone was as green as us we would still be able to dump raw sewage into the ocean!
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 09:30 AM   #40
RobotTalk
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Getting a bit off topic, but on the whole dumping raw sewage in the ocean engineers are taught that 'the solution to pollution is dilution,' so if the currents allow for it then it's not the WORST way to deal with sewage.

Now, if you really want to stick it to BCers on the island and lower mainland who give you grief about oil and gas you should point out that the BC economy is propped up by drug manufacturing and providing financial services, including money laundering, for the worlds largest and most violent criminal organizations, such as El Chapo's Sinaloa cartel. But hey, almost no one in Canada pays attention to the fact we're a narco state so they probably don't even know that's a thing.
RobotTalk is offline   Reply With Quote