Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2014, 11:58 AM   #21
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Prosciutto and fresh mozarella with good bread. The vegetables and dressings can be altered, but those core ingredients make for an amazing sandwich.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2014, 12:08 PM   #22
NSFL
Random Title Change!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by strombad View Post
Maybe it's my very English mother, but one of my other favourites (and quite possibly the simplest of sandwiches) is the Cucumber.

Rye or whole wheat bread (but nothing seedy)
Heaps of cucumber sliced medium
Mayo
Salt & Pepper

Classic "tea" sandwich, but it's impossibly good for the lack of ingredients. It's also the most frustrating sandwich to have a sandwich shop make, "I'd like only cucumber please, no, no other vegetables, just cucumber, more cucumber than that please, well I'm not getting anything else so I'd like some more..." etc etc.
I'm going to try that sandwich. It sounds like the blandest possible sandwich known to man, but I've read too many turn of the century english fiction lately and I wanna see what this tea sandwich is all about. I tried devil ham and it was suck.

NSFL=Not So Funny Lady. But I will also accept Not Safe For Life and Not Sober For Long.

You know you wanna read about nail polish:

http://polish-holic.blogspot.com/
NSFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 12:26 PM   #23
strombad
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSFL View Post
I'm going to try that sandwich. It sounds like the blandest possible sandwich known to man, but I've read too many turn of the century english fiction lately and I wanna see what this tea sandwich is all about. I tried devil ham and it was suck.

The bread is important. Don't go crazy. It can't be white, just because most white is too "sticky", but it also can't have seeds or be TOO out there. A fresh, plain rye or whole wheat is the way to go.

And use mayo, or hellmans, BUT NEVER MIRACLE WHIP. The secret to the sandwich is keeping it as plain and uneventful as possible. Somehow it's the only way it's any good.
strombad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strombad For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2014, 12:28 PM   #24
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by strombad View Post
The bread is important. Don't go crazy. It can't be white, just because most white is too "sticky", but it also can't have seeds or be TOO out there. A fresh, plain rye or whole wheat is the way to go.

And use mayo, or hellmans, BUT NEVER MIRACLE WHIP. The secret to the sandwich is keeping it as plain and uneventful as possible. Somehow it's the only way it's any good.
A sandwich that bores my tastebuds to sleep......mmmmmmm sounds good.
undercoverbrother is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2014, 01:47 PM   #25
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

This, my fine-feathered friends, is the single greatest sammich in the history of the universe:

FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2014, 05:50 PM   #26
NSFL
Random Title Change!

Exp:

French toast ham and cheese?

NSFL=Not So Funny Lady. But I will also accept Not Safe For Life and Not Sober For Long.

You know you wanna read about nail polish:

http://polish-holic.blogspot.com/
NSFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:05 PM   #27
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
This, my fine-feathered friends, is the single greatest sammich in the history of the universe:

Yes please, I'd like that, I'd like that very much please.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:13 PM   #28
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Montreal smoked meat sandwich

Old 05-08-2014, 06:22 PM   #29
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Montreal smoked meat sandwich
Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner. My favourite would be Le Main...it is right across from Schwartz's but is so much more delicious!
ben voyonsdonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:41 PM   #30
19Yzerman19
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If you're downtown, the ahi tuna club at local is a current favourite.
19Yzerman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:41 PM   #31
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Prosciutto and fresh mozarella with good bread. The vegetables and dressings can be altered, but those core ingredients make for an amazing sandwich.
Do I have a treat for you...

Caffe Mauro - NW corner of 10th Avenue @ 8th Street SW. Order the 'Prosciutto bocconcini'. Freshly made focaccia, the tastiest, most tender prosciutto you've ever tried, roasted red peppers, tasty bocconcini... god damn I want one right now.
TorqueDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:42 PM   #32
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I've been to Caffe Mauro a few times, great sandwich, not worth it for the disaster service.

Peppinos makes a great prosciutto bocconcini too.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2014, 09:23 PM   #33
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Agreed....although while you can find great bread (my favorite is from Sidewalk Citizen in Kensington) and prosciutto in this city, I still have yet to find great mozzarella. Which is a real shame, because a good buffalo mozzarella is one of the best things in life.

Personally, while it's not technically a sandwich, I think there is nothing better than some really good fresh crusty bread, and some really good fresh butter. That's it. Maybe with a tiny bit of sea salt.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:37 PM   #34
SHOGUN
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Peppinos has the best sandwiches in Calgary imo.
SHOGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:50 PM   #35
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some fresh sub buns from Linas, piled with some nice fatty cappocolo, harvarti, mayo, mustard, tomato, and nuked in the microwave for 15 seconds.

Cucumber sandwiches are good, but never had them on anything but whatever bread. They were the vegetarian option for a wedding I went to at the Empress, and they were delicious.

My personal faves for quick sandwich - any kind of bread, peanut butter, and either sliced bananas or sliced dill pickles.

The peanut butter and banana can be fried like a grilled cheese for extra crispy + warm peanut buttery goodness.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:52 PM   #36
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Agreed....although while you can find great bread (my favorite is from Sidewalk Citizen in Kensington) and prosciutto in this city, I still have yet to find great mozzarella. Which is a real shame, because a good buffalo mozzarella is one of the best things in life.

Personally, while it's not technically a sandwich, I think there is nothing better than some really good fresh crusty bread, and some really good fresh butter. That's it. Maybe with a tiny bit of sea salt.
Have you tried the Italian Markets in Tuxedo?
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:04 PM   #37
WCW Nitro
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I was reading something about a Nutella burger; a doughnut with nutella, strawberries, kiwi, and passion fruit.
WCW Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:06 PM   #38
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
Have you tried the Italian Markets in Tuxedo?
If you mean Linas and Italian Supermarket, then yes...both stores are great. The mozzarella isn't bad I guess, but Ive been a little spoiled and got used to the really good stuff in Italy, and unfortunately nothing else comes close. Apparently buffalo mozzarella doesn't travel well, so you can't really import the fresh stuff.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:09 PM   #39
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOGUN View Post
Peppinos has the best sandwiches in Calgary imo.
I had one of those today from the Bridgeland store (which doesnt make them on-site, but ships them from the other store). They don't look like anything special, but then you start eating the thing, and it's a great time.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:45 PM   #40
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Cucumber sandwiches sound like the definition of misery and pain. Why would anyone do that to themselves?

My favorite two are:

1) roasted chicken + garlic aioli + pickle (preferably pickled turnip like you get on a shawarma, but regular pickles work) inside a sausage bun and toasted. So simple but so god dammed good.

2) rye bread + Sriracha aioli + pastrami + kimchi + gouda cheese. Melt the cheese and then close it up and toast the sandwich. Again so fricking good.

Of course the boconcini prosciutto at caffee Mauro or a nice shawarma are also excellent options.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote