Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-2012, 08:10 PM   #21
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delgar View Post
All of my purchased music is now blocked and I can't access it as iTunes thinks I'm not the account holder. And if those music files are really DRM free why am I being asked to validate my account????
Have you tried playing them in VLC instead?
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:19 AM   #22
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delgar View Post
I'm pretty choked that I would not have this problem had I just downloaded those albums via torrent.
That's exactly why I find the whole argument for DRM to be so weak. The paying customer (whom the industry needs so much) is constantly penalized and inconvenienced for buying legitimately. And DRM does nothing to prevent piracy because it is circumvented so easily. /rant

Did you get your iTunes account sorted in the end?
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:06 AM   #23
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm taking a mostly amoral approach to this. I think I represent a significant chunk of digital media consumers when I say my top 3 priorities are convenience, convenience, and convenience. When an illegitimate source makes media acquisition easier than its legit counterparts, that's the avenue I take.

Even 5 years ago that meant I obtained most media illegally. Today there are few excuses for most people not to purchase their media. Rdio, iTunes, Netflix, etc. are all ultra-convenient with totally reasonable compromises.

The thing that keeps me from going totally legit is the fact that almost none of online media providers (that I'm aware of) offer high fidelity media. I want lossless audio. I want high bitrate video. I'm aware that most don't notice the difference between 256kbps audio and FLAC. But those who do have probably sunk a big chunk of dough into their media equipment and will happily pay a premium to use that equipment to its full potential.

Here's what I get illegitimately that I'd pay a premium for:
- I see a movie trailer I like and I add that to a movie queue via my phone. When a torrent is posted of that movie in 1080p 7.1 DTS at a high bitrate, it's automatically downloaded into my media center, metadata fetched, and shows up, ready to watch.
- I "subscribe" to TV shows (most of which are on channels I already subscribe to) which are also automatically downloaded in high bitrate form. These land in my media center with metadata in a UI vastly superior to any DVR I've seen. Certain shows are automatically converted to iPad-compatible format and synced wirelessly for commutes.
- I get notifications of FLAC/ALAC releases of my favorite artists/bands in my news feed. If it's something I don't have it's one click to download & add to iTunes. iCloud makes it immediately available in 256kbps on all my iDevices, while it stays in ALAC in my main library.

I realize that I'm part of a niche with the high fidelity demands - but I'll go legit when there's a legit service that can match my illegitimate service.

(Side note - I actually "steal" very little, but this is counter to my point. I have piles of unopened blu-rays, CDs, and records. I wanted to illustrate that cost isn't the deciding factor for many who use illegitimate means to acquire media.)

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:52 AM   #24
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Can anyone enlighten me as to why Netflix Canada and Netflix US have different offerings? Is it only because a rights holder in one country decides it is beneficial for Netflix to show their media, while the rights holder in another country decides it isn't? Is the CRTC involved in anyway? Do rights holders have full control over how much they can ask for a licensing agreement, or is it regulated in anyway?

Also, does anyone know if Netflix is breaking their regional licensing agreements by only checking ip address for a client's location, thereby allowing Canadians (for example) to view US content via a proxy?

Right now, I'm on the fence on using a proxy (free or otherwise) to view US netflix content while in Canada. I know others see no problem with it - I just want to be informed so I can make a decision I'm comfortable with.
psyang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:39 PM   #25
CubicleGeek
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyang View Post
Can anyone enlighten me as to why Netflix Canada and Netflix US have different offerings? Is it only because a rights holder in one country decides it is beneficial for Netflix to show their media, while the rights holder in another country decides it isn't? Is the CRTC involved in anyway? Do rights holders have full control over how much they can ask for a licensing agreement, or is it regulated in anyway?
It has to do with distribution rights for the region. A show that Netflix has bought distribution rights for in the US, may already be purchased for broadcast in Canada by a local content provider, thus excluding it from being picked up by a competitor. Or simply, Netflix may not be electing to pick up the distribution rights for that content in Canada for whatever reason (regulatory, not being able to come to a reasonable dollar amount from the content owner, and etc.).

It's the similar to why Flames games are blacked out on Center Ice in the Calgary area - Sportsnet, TSN, or CBC already own the rights to distribute those games in this region. So it doesn't even have to be at a national level.
CubicleGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CubicleGeek For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2013, 05:02 PM   #26
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought this was a discussion about mc hammer, as everyone knows he is too legit too quit.

Anyways, I mostly download from iTunes. For some music I convert it from youtube to mp3.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:33 AM   #27
Mike Vernon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
I thought this was a discussion about mc hammer, as everyone knows he is too legit too quit.

Anyways, I mostly download from iTunes. For some music I convert it from youtube to mp3.
I am also disappointed that this is not a Hammer thread.
Mike Vernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:43 AM   #28
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Majority of the things I download are things I already have the rights/ability to watch through perfectly legal means through either Netflix or the fact that I pay for all the cable channels. Television shows, specifically. The difference is that I don't have to fuss about with my PVR and wait for it to come on again.

Then again, the networks are of the opinion that, if you don't watch the commercials (including skipping them with a PVR), you're not viewing the show legitimately.

As for music, I signed up for the Xbox Music Pass, so for a monthly fee, I get as much streaming music as I can handle, on my phone or my PCs.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:06 PM   #29
fredr123
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Majority of the things I download are things I already have the rights/ability to watch through perfectly legal means through either Netflix or the fact that I pay for all the cable channels. Television shows, specifically.
What the rights holders want to make clear is that you've only purchased the rights to consume those media in a particular way.

Paying for cable only gives you the right to watch those shows as they air (or when you get around to watching those PVR recordings). You did not pay for the right, in their mind, to transfer those recordings to your computer and watch them there or on your mobile devices. There are separate licenses available for them. Heck, lots of television stations put many of their shows online for viewing whenever you want... but it's a limited run of episodes, there is lag between when a new episode is aired and when it shows up online, and you usually have to put up with a ton of ads.

What you're doing is not legal. Never has been. But it should be if rights holders came to their senses.

I'm convinced there are some smart people that run these companies. They know the way things are trending and it is all just a matter of time before a la carte options and online streaming services prevail. There will be ways to consume media that are sufficiently convenient and sufficiently inexpensive that piracy will fade away.

This will require a correction in revenues generated by record companies and television/movie studios. They are/were making an artificially large amount of money doing what they were doing so naturally the urge to resist change that threatens those beaucoup bucks is tremendous. We are seeing this already with iTunes. It's so easy to buy a track that it's not really worth your while to pirate music unless you are looking for something obscure or a wicked high bit rate. There's still room for improvement, but people are coming around to the idea in large numbers.

Television and movie people will come around to it eventually as well. You know we will have reached a tipping point when Game of Thrones, the most pirated television show of 2012, is available on Netflix. Maybe it makes sense to lock down their content to HBO Go on some level, but eventually, that content will reach a wider audience and generate more money for the studio if it is more accessibel.
fredr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:18 PM   #30
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredr123 View Post
What the rights holders want to make clear is that you've only purchased the rights to consume those media in a particular way.

Paying for cable only gives you the right to watch those shows as they air (or when you get around to watching those PVR recordings). You did not pay for the right, in their mind, to transfer those recordings to your computer and watch them there or on your mobile devices. There are separate licenses available for them. Heck, lots of television stations put many of their shows online for viewing whenever you want... but it's a limited run of episodes, there is lag between when a new episode is aired and when it shows up online, and you usually have to put up with a ton of ads.

What you're doing is not legal. Never has been. But it should be if rights holders came to their senses.

I'm convinced there are some smart people that run these companies. They know the way things are trending and it is all just a matter of time before a la carte options and online streaming services prevail. There will be ways to consume media that are sufficiently convenient and sufficiently inexpensive that piracy will fade away.
Format shifting for personal use has never been legal?
Old 01-04-2013, 01:33 PM   #31
fredr123
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
Format shifting for personal use has never been legal?
I'm assuming TD was in Canada although I'm really not sure. Things may be different in the USA.

Taking stuff you own in one format and converting it to another Ripping a CD into mp3 form on your hard drive is probably okay. The BMG decision clarified the private copying exemption for music.

What TD was talking about (I pay for cable so I should be able to download the show I could have watched when it first aired or that is currently sitting on my PVR) is arguably not format shifting. Regardless of whether it is a violation of the Copyright Act, it is almost definitely a violation of whatever licensing terms are involved with the distribution of that media. Buying a DVD doesn't give you the right to rip it to your iPad to watch on the plane, for example.
fredr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:40 PM   #32
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Never suggested it was, only that I feel less guilty about it....
Quote:
Buying a DVD doesn't give you the right to rip it to your iPad to watch on the plane, for example.
And that's complete rubbish, which is why I would feel the same way about doing that, too.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2013, 03:22 PM   #33
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Buying a DVD doesn't give you the right to rip it to your iPad to watch on the plane, for example.
Only if the DVD contains DRM, which 99% of commercial discs do. Had the digital locks provisions not been included in C-11 this would have been totally ok.

Quote:
New section 29.22 of the Act provides that a consumer has the right to reproduce for a private purpose any work or protected subject-matter if the source copy was legally obtained (this has been referred to as the “format-shifting” provision). Under subsection (3), this provision is only applicable where Part VIII does not apply. In other words, this exception would not apply to the copy of a musical work made onto an audio recording medium as defined in section 79 of the Act. Bill C-11 does not propose to amend section 79, for example to refer to media and devices. Therefore, under the bill, reproductions for private use on anything other than CD-Rs and Mini-Disc will not give rise to any remuneration to authors, publishers, performers or sound recordings makers.58 The extent of the format shifting right, though, is more circumscribed than the private copying right found at section 80 of the Act. As well, the format shifting exception does not apply to works protected by technological protection measures.
But in reality I think you're safe to rip away. The odds that anyone gets prosecuted for copying a movie to their iPad for personal use are basically nonexistent.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2013, 03:36 PM   #34
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

NM, DownInFlames beat me to it in a much nicer formatted post
Old 01-04-2013, 03:57 PM   #35
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
That's exactly why I find the whole argument for DRM to be so weak. The paying customer (whom the industry needs so much) is constantly penalized and inconvenienced for buying legitimately. And DRM does nothing to prevent piracy because it is circumvented so easily. /rant

Did you get your iTunes account sorted in the end?
Nope, still isn't fixed though I haven't tried since that night. Used the Shaw cable music channels instead, as my playlists in iTunes didn't work, and I don't have any playlists in other programs.

I think the problem has something to do with my "match" subscription expiring. Screw apple though, I've bought my last mp3 from them.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:13 PM   #36
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Bumping to bitch about my current problem.

When Windows 8 came out I took advantage of the early upgrade price, and separately bought 3 licenses for my home --- main computer, laptop, home theater computer.

I was emailed each time with the keys and purchase information etc.. I didn't keep the emails, but cut and pasted them into word documents and then saved them on a separate home server.

Since 8.1 comes out, I upgrade just the main computer, though perhaps I should not have as I had the preview installed first and now after the fact I hear installing the real upgrade over the preview could cause issues.

Within a day I have a complete failure of the OS and I end up having to do a complete reinstall.

In the course of doing so, the OS won't activate saying my key is invalid.

I get on the phone with Microsoft tech support, and they connect to my computer to help, try to use my key, and say, yes, its invalid. Then they say there is nothing they can do.

So I get off the phone, and then try to use the key I bought for the laptop... apparently its also invalid!

I have never shared these keys. I have never been the victim of a knowing hack. The keys worked when I last installed the OSes.

Now I'm faced with several hours of tech support/account support demonstrating to Microsoft that I did in fact purchase their software to get new keys. Or I can use another method and activate the OS on my own in about 5 minutes.

Even more frustrating is that other companies from whom I've bought software are able to activate my purchased software very easily, verifying I bought it without having to go through a bunch of hoops. Examples include Stardock and Adobe (though Adobe's update prices are awful).

I'm not sure why I paid Microsoft in the first place at this point. Being legit has not provided me any benefit other than the knowledge I paid.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:37 PM   #37
cyrust
Draft Pick

i started buying vinyl records from artist i love and blu rays of movies i enjoy watching. again, it's not hard to go legit considering how much it cost to go on a movie date. 18 bucks avg for 3d/avx movies (x2) plus 20-30 bucks on concession.
cyrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:56 AM   #38
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Here's an update to my problem. I purchased the windows 8 upgrade through "Arvato Digital Services". The keys worked when purchased, but now don't, and this company appears to not be in business anymore.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:20 AM   #39
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yikes :/

I bought 2 legit copies of Windows 8 back in July, but I haven't upgraded either to 8.1 yet due to reports of mouse lag in games.

As far legitimacy in OSes goes, out of the 6 (running) PCs I have in my house, only 1 is running a pirated copy of Windows (7 Ultimate). It's pretty neat to be able to do updates without worrying about bricking my PC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:28 AM   #40
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Yeah it pisses me off. Looks like I'll be shelling out $360 for 3 new licenses. Dammit.