Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2019, 02:17 PM   #21
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I did watch Jay. He was bad. So was the rest of the team. Brent Sutter was an abysmal coach. Those years were tough to get through.

And here's a mini-ATL for this signing.

Quote:
Absolutely perfect.
Quote:
Surprised we got him that cheap. Dude has gone from "hated" to loved!
Quote:
Who would have thought this board would be happy about a JayBo extension and we should be, he has been amazing since December, perfect cost and term for the team
Quote:
Thought we'd need 2 years at about that cap hit, love it at 1 year. I bet he'll be fine with 1 year extensions until retirement as long as he's performing well. Sort of mutual options based on trust of each party.
Quote:
Love it. This buys us a year for the left side, which will allow Ed to try and win back the team's confidence. We absolutely weren't going to replace J-Bo's contribution for less money than this and the 1 year term is ideal in case of injury or hitting an age wall.

There is nothing not to like about this.
Quote:
Love. It.
Quote:
Pretty ideal from a team perspective. Glad to have him back for next year.
Quote:
Great deal for both sides. For those saying Blues should have let him walk, you need to look closer at the UFA options.
Quote:
Excellent move. Score one for the old guys who can still play.
Don't think you'll see many Oilers fans saying this about Russell.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2019, 02:21 PM   #22
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I did watch Jay. He was bad. So was the rest of the team. Brent Sutter was an abysmal coach. Those years were tough to get through.

And here's a mini-ATL for this signing.
Nice. Way to leave out those other early posts about how he played well for six months . Way to pick and choose Scorp. Would you like me to go back and quote the two previous years of posts about wanting to put him on waivers? Why did you leave out the Twitter list showing how bad his advanced stats were this year?
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 02:22 PM   #23
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Bouwmeester got screwed because he was a smooth skating, puck moving D-man who scored by being in on the rush. His talent was abundantly clear in Florida and his proper usage was obvious to everyone in the hockey world.

Then he came to Calgary and after a hot start by the Flames, stone age Sutter infamously held a media scrum to state that while we were winning we weren't wining the right way. After that he beat the team into a defensively minded, pucks out, puck deep **** team. Rendering Bouwmeester's offensive skill useless and submarining the entire Flames roster.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2019, 02:23 PM   #24
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyhow everyone has an opinion, I think the guys track record clearly shows he is not a guy you want to go to war with to win anything.
Old 04-08-2019, 02:26 PM   #25
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

He's fine, he's got skill and fills in great, unlike Kris Russell. His only problem was he's always overhyped.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 02:32 PM   #26
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just my opinion, however, Blues have the best record in the NHL since Jan 1 for a few reasons. One of those reasons is that Bouwmeester returned to health and along with his partner Parayko were one of the elite shutdown pairs in the NHL.
Anybody who has watched Blues games can and will attest to that.
3.25 million for one season is a ridiculously good bargain for the Blues.

What happened 5 years ago with the Flames has zero impact on that opinion.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to timbit For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2019, 02:39 PM   #27
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

We gave Bouwmeester 12% of the cap. The expectations were obviously going to be a lot higher here. He wasn’t a bad player here.

The Blues are giving him less than 4% next year. It’s a great deal.
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 02:44 PM   #28
BACKCHECK!!!
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Going to explain or are you just doing a fly by for thanks from posters who obviously choose to ignore how bad Bouwmeester was for us? Kris Russell played way better for us AINEC.
I think you have an irrational hate-on for a guy who was the best defenceman on the Flames for much of his time in Calgary.

We're talking about teams where Curtis Glencross was 2nd in team goal scoring, and Chris Butler was on the top D pairing.

The Flames dressed some bad rosters. And the only thing Bouwmeester is guilty of was not being able to carry a bad team to a playoff spot they didn't deserve.

Last edited by BACKCHECK!!!; 04-08-2019 at 02:47 PM.
BACKCHECK!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 02:47 PM   #29
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BACKCHECK!!! View Post
I think you have an irrational hate-on for a guy who was the best defenceman on the Flames for much of his time in Calgary.
So you are saying Jay Bouwmeester was a better D man than Giordano, Regehr, and Sarich. Ok
Old 04-08-2019, 02:49 PM   #30
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought Bouw looked incredibly slow the first game against the Flames this year. Looked way better the second game. His injuries definitely affected his play. Still wouldn't take him.
Old 04-08-2019, 03:02 PM   #31
BACKCHECK!!!
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
So you are saying Jay Bouwmeester was a better D man than Giordano, Regehr, and Sarich. Ok
Yes. That's why he led the Flames in ice time every season he was here, and was top-10 in the NHL in TOI throughout his prime years.

Last edited by BACKCHECK!!!; 04-08-2019 at 03:06 PM.
Old 04-08-2019, 03:05 PM   #32
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Going to explain or are you just doing a fly by for thanks from posters who obviously choose to ignore how bad Bouwmeester was for us? Kris Russell played way better for us AINEC.
Bouwmeester is what he is, and for $3.25M, of course I take him over Russell.

Bo was overpaid and over used here, but there has never been a time in his life where Kris Russell was a better player.
GreenLantern2814 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 03:10 PM   #33
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Oh yes, a guy who's game degrades under pressure worse than any other hockey player I have ever seen is just a fantastic D man. With the exception of team Canada carrying him one year the guy has been a career loser. Perhaps you should go back and look at the tapes of when he played for us and how terrible his game became when the pressure was on. I would not want Bouwmeester back if he volunteered to play.
Quote:
Nice. Way to leave out those other early posts about how he played well for six months . Way to pick and choose Scorp. Would you like me to go back and quote the two previous years of posts about wanting to put him on waivers? Why did you leave out the Twitter list showing how bad his advanced stats were this year?
This has been your opinion for a decade. In that same time, people like Quennville and Babcock have seen him as a player they want on their team, and play him in a crucial role. Based on that, I have no problem saying your opinion is wrong, and blinded by hatred.

As for his recent play, yes, he's been criticized while he was playing injured and recovering from injury, but now that he's healthy people who watch him every day rave about his play.

If you wouldn't want him on your team for free, I don't want you picking my team.

Last edited by Mike F; 04-08-2019 at 03:13 PM.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 03:13 PM   #34
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
This has been your opinion for a decade. In that same time, people like Quennville and Babcock have seen him as a player they want on their team, and play him in a crucial role. Based on that, I have no problem saying your opinion is wrong, and blinded by hatred.
Here, let me help educate you. An opinion cannot be wrong, it is an opinion. I won't pick for your team, it's ok. I will take the guys we have now over him, I am great with that
Old 04-08-2019, 03:15 PM   #35
BACKCHECK!!!
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Here, let me help educate you. An opinion cannot be wrong, it is an opinion. I won't pick for your team, it's ok. I will take the guys we have now over him, I am great with that
No, but they can be dumb.

Last edited by BACKCHECK!!!; 04-08-2019 at 03:20 PM.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to BACKCHECK!!! For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2019, 03:20 PM   #36
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BACKCHECK!!! View Post
No, but they can be stupid.
That is your opinion.
Old 04-08-2019, 03:20 PM   #37
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

This contract gives me some hope the Flames can find a trade partner for Mike Stone this summer.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 03:20 PM   #38
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes, it can.
Flat Earthers, global warming deniers, holocaust deniers, anti-vaccers.
'Nough said.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to timbit For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2019, 03:23 PM   #39
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit View Post
Yes, it can.
Flat Earthers, global warming deniers, holocaust deniers, anti-vaccers.
'Nough said.
Those are beliefs, not really opinions. What one person disagrees with is fine, a differing opinion is also fine. There is a big stretch between someone having the opinion a D man is not very good and the Earth is flat.
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2019, 03:24 PM   #40
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

ok ok ok let's not blow this out of proportion dudes it's a signing on a team that has nothing to do with the Flames

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post: