Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2019, 08:50 AM   #21
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
This one is hilarious.

"Player A tore his ACL last year, Player B had leukemia. Player C just played like dog shart last year but now he's back to being a regular contributor. And the winner is..."
Shouldn't McDavid win for playing while clearly being on his deathbed?
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 09:12 AM   #22
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

It hurts my soul to say it, but if the Hart was awarded in the spirit it's intended then McDavid would get it.

He's the only worthwhile piece and the only one that drives a play in that dumpster fire up north. Across the league, he's undoubtedly the most valuable player to his team.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 09:18 AM   #23
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:
Default PHWA midseason awards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
It hurts my soul to say it, but if the Hart was awarded in the spirit it's intended then McDavid would get it.

He's the only worthwhile piece and the only one that drives a play in that dumpster fire up north. Across the league, he's undoubtedly the most valuable player to his team.
Is that true to the “spirit” of the award? I would expect that in order to qualify as value in comparison to all other players in the League a player’s contribution needs to engender some success. In other words, what have the Oilers tangibly achieved this season for all of McDavid’s vaunted contributions?

McDavid’s Oilers are the definition of an unsuccessful hockey team, so while he makes them a good deal better than they would be in his absence, they are still a losing, hemorrhagic franchise that appears committed to years of failure and ineptitude beyond 2019. No one should get an award for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 01-24-2019 at 09:22 AM.
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2019, 09:58 AM   #24
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
Goaltenders don’t typically provide enough offence to win a hockey game by themselves.
There are people who have created formulas for ‘point shares’

https://www.hockey-reference.com/abo...nt_shares.html

What they try to do is use as a basis goals for and against, compared to league averages, then try to correlate those to expected wins, and distribute the contribution amongst the players.

It’s a concept they have used in other sports so have made a model for hockey.

Top 3 in point shares for goalies happen to be the three mid season nominees
https://www.hockey-reference.com/lea...9_leaders.html
DeluxeMoustache is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2019, 10:02 AM   #25
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:

Not to quibble, but if I understand the metaphor usage correctly, tire fire is technically more appropriate than dumpster fire. Tire fires burn for a much longer time.
DeluxeMoustache is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2019, 10:08 AM   #26
Scornfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
There are people who have created formulas for ‘point shares’

https://www.hockey-reference.com/abo...nt_shares.html

What they try to do is use as a basis goals for and against, compared to league averages, then try to correlate those to expected wins, and distribute the contribution amongst the players.

It’s a concept they have used in other sports so have made a model for hockey.

Top 3 in point shares for goalies happen to be the three mid season nominees
https://www.hockey-reference.com/lea...9_leaders.html
Ekholm is also the leader in defensive point shares. The Hart votes mirror the offensive point shares list as well. I think you're on to something
Scornfire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scornfire For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2019, 10:29 AM   #27
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Most valuable is always tough. How much should the criteria be team success? Oil are 7rh in Pacific, 12th in West. You may say McDavid is best player. Hard to equate that to valuable when his team is dog####.
Vezuna is best goaltender, period.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 10:40 AM   #28
Groot
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
“Halfway through the season, the stars begin to emerge,” PHWA president Mark Spector said. “Our PHWA members dig into the stats to give readers a glimpse of who will be in Vegas on Awards night in June.”
While I'm happy to see the Flames in 6 of the 10 categories, the fact the Mark Spector is the President of the PHWA had to issue a statement praising the players/coaches/GM's on the list makes me even happier. I imagine he alternated vomiting and crying while typing up the statement.
Groot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 10:45 AM   #29
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

strangely I don't care too much about Johnny winning the Hart, but I'm incredibly emotionally invested in Gio winning the Norris.

Don't be ####heels Eastern media.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2019, 10:48 AM   #30
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
strangely I don't care too much about Johnny winning the Hart, but I'm incredibly emotionally invested in Gio winning the Norris.

Don't be ####heels Eastern media.
It's because there are other viable options for the Hart than Gaudreau. Not that he wouldn't deserve it, but so do others.

Gio deserves the Norris. He is the best defenseman in the NHL this season. If you don't think that you aren't watching hockey properly. In fact, he wouldn't be out of place in the Hart conversation either and I wouldn't be surprised to see him with a few votes there too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groot View Post
While I'm happy to see the Flames in 6 of the 10 categories, the fact the Mark Spector is the President of the PHWA had to issue a statement praising the players/coaches/GM's on the list makes me even happier. I imagine he alternated vomiting and crying while typing up the statement.
I've always thought that the PHWA voting on awards was dumb, but when I found out Spector was the president I decided all awards voting was meaningless. Hockey Ops personnel and/or player reps from each team should be voting.

Last edited by Coach; 01-24-2019 at 10:50 AM.
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 11:03 AM   #31
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I can totally live with Gaudreau and Peters as nominees.

But Gio better win if he keeps this up. It will be an eastern media robbery if he doesn’t.
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 11:12 AM   #32
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo45 View Post
I can totally live with Gaudreau and Peters as nominees.

But Gio better win if he keeps this up. It will be an eastern media robbery if he doesn’t.
It is now to the point that Giordano should be nearly a "shoe-in" if trends continue as they have until the end of the season. If he is within a couple points of scoring leaders among defensemen, I think he wins the Norris Trophy this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2019, 11:18 AM   #33
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Is that true to the “spirit” of the award? I would expect that in order to qualify as value in comparison to all other players in the League a player’s contribution needs to engender some success. In other words, what have the Oilers tangibly achieved this season for all of McDavid’s vaunted contributions?

McDavid’s Oilers are the definition of an unsuccessful hockey team, so while he makes them a good deal better than they would be in his absence, they are still a losing, hemorrhagic franchise that appears committed to years of failure and ineptitude beyond 2019. No one should get an award for that.

Any interpretation of the definition of an award that rewards players becasue the rest of the team is no good, is, well... no good.
Old 01-24-2019, 11:38 AM   #34
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sean Monahan should be awarded the Lady Bing award.

He's got freaking 10 PIMs and about 8 of those were bullcrap penalties.

He wouldn't hurt a fly.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 12:13 PM   #35
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
Most valuable is always tough. How much should the criteria be team success? Oil are 7rh in Pacific, 12th in West. You may say McDavid is best player. Hard to equate that to valuable when his team is dog####.
Vezuna is best goaltender, period.
It's not like McDavid is running away with the scoring title. He may do that once they are eliminated and mail things in to get him a scoring title like last season but he and Gaudreau are neck and neck in scoring and the difference being Johnny is integral to the best team in the conference and McDavid integral to one of the worst. Not really a difficult decision IMO. Maybe they should make a new trophy for fastest skater to he could get an award every year to make Oilers fans happy.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 12:36 PM   #36
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Gibson is literally carrying Anaheim on his back.

Figuratively
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to heep223 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2019, 12:58 PM   #37
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

News Update

The Mayor John Hoven @mayorNHL
UPDATE: In speaking w/ @ThePHWA brass, while there are no plans to release exact numbers, I was able to glean a few interesting nuggets - Kucherov vs Gaudreau for the Hart was pretty close & Giordano won in an absolute landslide; Rielly wasn't anywhere near him in Norris voting.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 01:03 PM   #38
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do Leafs media have more votes than other teams? I really don't know how anyone could make a case Rielly has been better than Gio. At this point Leafs media is the only thing that should prevent Gio from finally getting his due.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 01:13 PM   #39
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

While I agree that McDavid has been more valuable to his team than any single player has been to their respective teams... I do not in any way think he should get the Hart trophy for it. Lots of really good players have been robbed of that trophy over the years because the rest of their team was terrible and couldn’t make the playoffs. If those guys weren’t given the trophy because of that reason, then no exception should be made for McDavid.

Iginla is the perfect example. He was far and away the most dominant player in the league in 2002 and didn’t get the Hart. I know it’s because of one homer Montreal sports writer but it’s also because the flames didn’t make the playoffs so he lost votes there as well. If they start changing the criteria for who legitimately deserves this trophy than it’s another slap in the face to the guys in the past who deserved it and didn’t get it. Can’t be making exceptions to this criteria just because it’s McDavid and everyone wants to put him on the generational pedestal.

stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 01:26 PM   #40
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default PHWA midseason awards

Mcletsgo is leading his crappy team all the way to the bottom of the league once again. Yes he is basically the only player able to generate scoring, but a fat load of good it’s done them in the success department.

What, so without him the Oilers are 20 points behind everyone else instead of nosediving at the quarter mark of the season? Who cares if the end result is another 1st overall in Shelbyville regardless.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote