Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2008, 04:49 PM   #21
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pope04 View Post
Every Christmas Eve, my wife and I do the prep work for Christmas Morning Lifesaver, which is hurled in the oven as the kids open presents Christmas morn. I don't have the exact recipe, but it wouldn't be Christmas without it. White bread without crusts, eggs, ham, green and red pepper, green onion. I'll see if I can find the recipe.
My mom makes something like that too.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 05:00 PM   #22
Flamesoholic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Girl View Post

Might as well throw this out here, anyone have any mint and chocolate dessert recipes? Maybe something that incorporates candy canes. I have a bunch of them and would love to use them.

You could also try a mint and chocolate cream pie. I haven't made one myself but a friend of mine made one last year and she said is was super easy.
You could use the candy canes as stir sticks for hot chocolate.
Old 12-10-2008, 05:08 PM   #23
Ford Prefect
Has Towel, Will Travel

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pope04 View Post
Every Christmas Eve, my wife and I do the prep work for Christmas Morning Lifesaver, which is hurled in the oven as the kids open presents Christmas morn. I don't have the exact recipe, but it wouldn't be Christmas without it. White bread without crusts, eggs, ham, green and red pepper, green onion. I'll see if I can find the recipe.
Ya, we make that some years too. We're going to have a boat load of relatives staying with us at Christmas this year, so thanks for bringing it up. We'll have to make it this year for sure.

My contribution to this thread is ... I make Rusty Nails every year at Christmas, and only at Christmas. It's my equivalent of egg nog.

Edit: Here's a link for Christmas Morning Lifesaver recipe, also called Christmas Morning Wifesaver:

http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,195,1...225195,00.html

Last edited by Ford Prefect; 12-10-2008 at 05:11 PM.
Ford Prefect is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ford Prefect For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2008, 05:11 PM   #24
Eastern Girl
Crushed

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesoholic View Post
You could also try a mint and chocolate cream pie. I haven't made one myself but a friend of mine made one last year and she said is was super easy.
You could use the candy canes as stir sticks for hot chocolate.
That's a great idea.

Thanks.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:02 PM   #25
pope04
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The only time I crave eggnog - with the requisite splash of Cap'n Morgan's - is around Christmas. Tastes like hell in any other season, but mmmmmmmmmm, it's good now.
pope04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 07:03 PM   #26
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitterballen

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oliebol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Croquette

These are my three favourite holiday treats.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 07:42 PM   #27
annasuave
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Spinach Salad. The secret ingredient is... BACON!

1 bag (or 1 bunch) baby spinach
1/2 pound of bacon
3 green onions - finely chopped
4 eggs (boiled)
6-8 large strawberries - sliced
6-8 large mushrooms - sliced
1/4 cup raspberry vinegar
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
tablespoon of poppy seeds
Sugar to taste
Pepper to taste

1. Cook bacon in microwave until crispy
2. Pour about 1/3 to 1/2 of the bacon drippings into a heat proof measuring cup. (discard the rest)
3. Put cooked bacon in freezer to chill
4. Peel and chop/slice boiled eggs. Reserve some cooked yolk for the dressing
5. Add vinegar and oil to bacon drippings in measuring cup. Add sugar and stir until disolved. Add egg yolk and stir until disolved. Add green onions, poppy seeds and pepper. Adjust ratio of oil, vinegar, sugar and poppy seeds to your taste. Stir and set aside
6. Toss spinach with strawberries and mushrooms
7. Just before serving - get bacon out of freezer and crumble into dressing
8. Toss salad with dressing and top with egg slices - serve right away.

Putting some egg-yolk in the dressing acts as an emulsifier and stops the dressing from separating. Bacon makes it goooood.
annasuave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 09:27 AM   #28
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

This is our traditional xmas morning breakfast...

Peach & poppyseed sour cream pancakes

Nutrients per pancake
4g protein
6.9g fat
19.2g carbohydrates
1g fibre
1mg iron
88mg calcium
178mg sodium
154calories
Good source of folacin

Preparation time 15 minutes
Cooking time 4 minutes per batch
Makes 14 to 16 medium pancakes

4 small peaches

2tbsp (30 mL) butter
2cups (500 mL) all-purpose flour
1/4cup (50 mL) granulated sugar
2tbsp (30 mL) poppy seeds
1tbsp (15 mL) baking powder
1/2tsp (2 mL) salt
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups (375 mL) milk
1 cup (250 mL) regular or light sour cream
1tsp (5 mL) vanilla
butter for cooking pancakes

1.Peel peaches, if you wish, then slice into thin wedges. Microwave 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter in a small bowl until melted. In a large bowl, using a fork, stir flour with sugar, poppy seeds, baking powder and salt. Make a well in centre. In a medium bowl, whisk eggs with milk, sour cream, melted butter and vanilla. Pour into flour mixture and stir just until evenly mixed.

Melt about 1 tsp (5 mL) butter in a large frying pan over medium heat. (Save time by cooking on a large griddle or simultaneously in 2 pans.) Use a 1/4-cup (50-mL) measure to pour batter into hot frying pan. Depending on size of pan, add 1 to 3 more pancakes. Immediately top each with 2 or 3 peach wedges and push into batter. Cook until pancake surfaces are covered with bubbles and edges are lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Turn and continue to cook until pancakes are golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Place on a plate and keep warm in a low-temperature oven while cooking remaining pancakes. Delicious drizzled with maple syrup.
The Following User Says Thank You to ricosuave For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2008, 09:50 AM   #29
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
There seems to be tradition for most, and I think we should share recipes!!!!
I usually make apple strudel for dessert. My Mom made her own strudel dough but I have never been able to duplicate how thin and delicate she could make it so I cheat and use store bought phyllo (filo). This recipe will serve 8 to 10 and it is easier to make this apple strudel than apple pie.

APPLE STRUDEL

9 sheets phyllo (filo) dough – in frozen foods where you find pie shells and puff pastry
½ cup unsalted butter, melted

2 tsp icing sugar
¼ tsp cinnamon for sprinkling

9 large apples
1 cup raisins (dark seedless California)
¾ cup brown sugar
4 Tbsp flour
2 tsp cinnamon

1. Center a large 11” springform pan on a piece of foil. Fold foil part way up sides of the spring form pan. This prevents butter and juices from leaking out during baking.

2. Filling: I normally use around 5 Granny Smith and Jonagold for the other 4 but all Golden Delicious works too. Peel the apples, cut in half and core. Cut each half into 3 pieces, so 6 wedges per apple. Cut each wedge into 4 to 5 slices, not too thick, not too thin. In bowl, toss together the apples with the brown sugar, flour and cinnamon; set aside. The easiest way is put all the ingredients in an ice cream pail and shake vigorously to incorporate the apples with the dry ingredients. Stir with a large spoon to make sure apple slices on the bottom are coated with the dry ingredients.

3. Arrange 1 sheet of the phyllo on work surface such as a large cutting board, keeping remaining phyllo covered with damp towel to prevent drying out. Brush the sheet of phyllo lightly with butter. Top with second sheet; brush lightly with butter. Top with third sheet but do not butter. Each time, cover your reserved phyllo with a damp cloth so it does not dry out. If it dries, you wont be able to separate the sheets.

Spread one-third of the filling in strip along closest long edge of phyllo, leaving 1/2-inch (1 cm) border at each end. Sprinkle a small handful, approximately 1/3 cup, of raisins over the apple filling. Fold ends over and roll up firmly jelly roll style. Repeat with the remaining ingredients to make 2 more rolls. Snake two of the rolls on the outside of the pan and push them tightly towards the outside to make a large cavity in the inside. It will look like a donut with a hole in the middle. Coil and fit the third roll in the inside, being careful not to break it. If any of the rolls do break, take a bit of phyllo and cover the broken portion. Brush the whole surface of your strudel liberally with melted butter.

4. Preheat the oven to 425°F. Put the strudel in the bottom third of the oven and bake for 15 minutes. Reduce the temperature to 375°F and bake for 50 minutes longer or until golden brown and crisp. You can test with a fork to see if the apples are cooked but I find this time to be dead on accurate.

5. Remove the strudel from the oven and remove the foil from the springform pan. Put the springform pan on a large serving plate. Loosen the clamp on the outside of the springform pan but don’t remove the side of the springform pan. Let the strudel cool for about an hour. After an hour, you can remove the loosened side of the springform pan.

The strudel can be set aside at room temperature for up to 6 hours. It should not be covered and refrigerated because the phyllo pastry will lose its crispness. It can be reheated just until warm in a 375°F oven for about 10 minutes. It is nicest served warm.

Sprinkle with icing sugar and a little cinnamon. A small scoop of vanilla ice cream is the perfect accompaniment.

Note: Left over phyllo pastry can be refrozen. Put a sheet of wax paper on top of the stack of phyllo and now roll the phyllo up. Wrap with saran and put back in the box the phyllo came in. Put the box of phyllo in a plastic bag and freeze. One box of phyllo pastry will make 2 strudels, possibly 3 depending on the brand that you buy.

Here are the before and after pictures.

redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redforever For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2008, 10:38 AM   #30
Top Shelf
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Bacon Wrapped Water Chestnuts

This is the basic recipe, I usually throw in some Soy Sauce, and fresh garlic and let marinate over night if I have the time.

INGREDIENTS

• 1 cup ketchup
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 16 ounces sliced bacon
  • 2 (8 ounce) cans water chestnuts, drained
DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. In a saucepan, combine ketchup, brown sugar and Worcestershire sauce; heat just to boiling. Pour sauce over bacon and water chestnuts.
  3. Cut bacon slices into thirds. Cut some of the bigger water chestnuts in half. Wrap chestnuts in bacon and secure with toothpicks; place in a 9x13 pan.
  4. Bake in preheated oven until bacon is completely cooked, about 45 to 50 minutes.
Top Shelf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Top Shelf For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2008, 10:51 AM   #31
notoepik
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have a good mint and chocolate recipe I will have to dig up tomorrow for you EG....

Meanwhile you go get that Texas Potato Recipe from your Mom

I have quite a few traditional recipes we make. I have always hosted Christmas, and I wanted to make traditions from my girls. What I really never thought about, was that I was also making traditions for my nephews. Now that they are married with kids of their own, they want recipes, or better yet, to come to Aunt Becky's for Christmas. Makes me feel good that they enjoyed their visits so much they want the foods and games to continue with their own families

I will post some recipes when I get done laying the new floor in the family room
notoepik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 11:42 AM   #32
ShaolinFlame
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think I win.

Deep Fried Stuffing Balls

Pack stuffing into 1 inch diameter balls.
Insert small piece of turkey meat into centre of stuffing ball.
Roll through flour, then egg, then breadcrumbs.
Deep fry in hot oil.
Get fat and be merry! Also anyone who tries them will instantly love you.

Flames-Flyers-Stamps-Jays
ShaolinFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 12:06 PM   #33
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaolinFlame View Post
I think I win.

Deep Fried Stuffing Balls

Pack stuffing into 1 inch diameter balls.
Insert small piece of turkey meat into centre of stuffing ball.
Roll through flour, then egg, then breadcrumbs.
Deep fry in hot oil.
Get fat and be merry! Also anyone who tries them will instantly love you.
That's bitterballen pretty much to a tee. I find it best when dipped in dutch mustard.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 01:22 PM   #34
boobaloo
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Pistachio Salad...very easy and yummy. Almost like dessert with your turkey!

1 pkg Instant Pistachio Pudding mix
1 can Crushed Pineapple
2 cups miniature marshmallows
1 tub cool whip, thawed

Mix pudding, pineapple thoroughly. Fold in Cool whip and marshmallows. Chill overnight.

Looks green and festive
boobaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 03:26 PM   #35
Eastern Girl
Crushed

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by notoepik View Post
I have a good mint and chocolate recipe I will have to dig up tomorrow for you EG....

Meanwhile you go get that Texas Potato Recipe from your Mom
That would be awesome.

I will ask her to forward me the recipe for those potatoes and post it. They really are quite good, extremely popular in my family.
Old 12-13-2008, 03:52 PM   #36
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

I quite often make just half of the Christmas Wife Saver and then make this to go along with it. Both can bake in the oven at the same time and then you have a bit more variety for your breakfast/brunch. Serve with a bit of fresh fruit and some bacon or sausages or ham on the side.

BLUEBERRY MAPLE BREAKFAST BAKE

1 loaf of white bread
4 oz cream cheese
2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries, divided
8 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cups milk
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup melted butter

1. Preheat oven to 350F.

2. Use good quality bread such as a French or Italian loaf. Remove crusts from bread and cut into small cubes, enough to fill your baking dish. Cut cream cheese in small cubes (makes about 1 cup). Grease a 9x9 inch deep baking dish. Place half of the bread cubes in the dish. Scatter cream cheese cubes and 1 cup of blueberries over the bread. Top with remaining bread cubes and blueberries.

3. In a bowl, combine eggs, milk, maple syrup and butter. Carefully pour over bread mixture. Cover and refrigerate overnight or bake immediately.

4. Bake until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, about 1 hour, covering with aluminum foil if edges brown too much. If you have refrigerated this over night, either increase the baking time a bit or let the dish warm to room temperature before baking.

5. To serve, sprinkle the top with icing sugar and cut into squares. Accompany with a dollop of whipped cream and some homemade blueberry sauce (see below) if desired.

Yield: 9 portions.

Now if you want this to taste truly outstanding, serve with a dollop of whipped cream and some blueberry or raspberry sauce. The fruit sauce can be prepared the night before as well.

BLUEBERRY SAUCE

3 cups blueberries
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup liquid honey
2 Tbsp cornstarch
1/4 cup water
2 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp lemon juice
2 Tbsp ruby port (optional)

In a small dish, combine the cornstarch and 1/4 cup cold water. Mix until smooth.

Place the blueberries in a large saucepan. Add 1/4 cup water. Bring to a quick boil. Stir in honey and bring back to a boil.

Slowly add the cornstarch solution to the boiling blueberry mixture. Boil and stir constantly for around 2 minutes.

Stir in the lemon juice, port (if using) and butter. Cover, refrigerate and cool completely.

Note 1: Try not to stir the blueberries too rigorously while you are cooking them. You want the sauce to have mostly whole blueberries. In other words, you do not want jam.

Note 2: You could use frozen blueberries but will have to modify the recipe. Put the frozen blueberries in a colander over a bowl and thaw. Put the liquid that drains from the blueberries in a large saucepan with half of the blueberries. Proceed and cook as above. When the sauce is done, add the reserved blueberries and stir in. Cover and refrigerate.

You could use fresh raspberries in which case, use only 1/4 of the berries when boiling and cooking the sauce. Fold the balance of the raspberries into the hot cooked sauce.

Note 3: This makes quite a large amount of sauce but it halves easily.

And if you want something truly simple to make the morning of Christmas, try these pancake squares and serve them with a dollop of whipped cream and the blueberry sauce from above. They probably won't take quite as long to bake, so if you are making them along with the Christmas Wife Saver recipe, put them in the oven a bit later.

PANCAKE SQUARES

3/4 cup milk
2 Tbsp melted butter
1 large egg
1 Tbsp sugar
1 cup flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 350°.

Lightly grease an 8” x 8” baking dish.

In a large mixing bowl, beat together milk, butter and egg. Add the sugar and then gradually beat the flour in. Carefully stir in the baking powder and salt. Pour batter into prepared pan. If desired, sprinkle top with your favorite fruit.

Bake for 20-25 minutes. Serves 4-6.

Cut in squares and eat with butter and syrup or else serve with a dollop of whipped cream and a fruit sauce.

Note: This can be doubled and baked in a 9 x 13 pan. Baking times might have to be adjusted for the larger pan.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redforever For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2008, 03:54 PM   #37
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Nothing.

I usually sleep in.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2008, 05:39 PM   #38
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boobaloo View Post
Pistachio Salad...very easy and yummy. Almost like dessert with your turkey!

1 pkg Instant Pistachio Pudding mix
1 can Crushed Pineapple
2 cups miniature marshmallows
1 tub cool whip, thawed

Mix pudding, pineapple thoroughly. Fold in Cool whip and marshmallows. Chill overnight.

Looks green and festive
This is a GREAT dish. Love it.

But just pineapple? Bah. Put in instead a can of fruit cocktail (make sure you remove the liquid though). Now that is good....

Did I say how much I like this .
RedHot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 05:42 PM   #39
BuzzardsWife
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

smoked salmon spread
brazil nut balls
shortbread
nanaimo bars
stuffed french toast (xmas breakfast)
bacon wrapped scallops
chocolate crinkle cookies
white chocolate candy cane bark
Old 12-13-2008, 05:45 PM   #40
BuzzardsWife
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Shelf View Post
Bacon Wrapped Water Chestnuts

This is the basic recipe, I usually throw in some Soy Sauce, and fresh garlic and let marinate over night if I have the time.

INGREDIENTS

• 1 cup ketchup
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 16 ounces sliced bacon
  • 2 (8 ounce) cans water chestnuts, drained
DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. In a saucepan, combine ketchup, brown sugar and Worcestershire sauce; heat just to boiling. Pour sauce over bacon and water chestnuts.
  3. Cut bacon slices into thirds. Cut some of the bigger water chestnuts in half. Wrap chestnuts in bacon and secure with toothpicks; place in a 9x13 pan.
  4. Bake in preheated oven until bacon is completely cooked, about 45 to 50 minutes.
i make the same thing but just soak them in soya sauce and brown sugar..yummmm..my mom always made these every Christmas Eve..I always half cook the bacon before wrapping the nuts