Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2010, 12:13 PM   #21
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

We've invested a first round pick in Irving, so I would think it's definitely his job to lose in Abbotsford. He looked great in the WHL and watching him in development camps, so I'm hoping he is continuing to progress. Keetley has stuck around and I'm curious if he still has some upside or if he's reached a plateau. Both him and Irving spent time in the ECHL last year IIRC.

On a related note, it looks like Kevin Lalande (whom we traded to Columbus for mid-round draft pick played in 55 games last year in the AHL.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 12:18 PM   #22
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
We've invested a first round pick in Irving, so I would think it's definitely his job to lose in Abbotsford. He looked great in the WHL and watching him in development camps, so I'm hoping he is continuing to progress. Keetley has stuck around and I'm curious if he still has some upside or if he's reached a plateau. Both him and Irving spent time in the ECHL last year IIRC.

On a related note, it looks like Kevin Lalande (whom we traded to Columbus for mid-round draft pick played in 55 games last year in the AHL.
it was a 4th round pick, which was later swapped to trade up and draft Ryan Howse
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 01:28 PM   #23
c.t.ner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
it was a 4th round pick, which was later swapped to trade up and draft Ryan Howse
Which isn't a bad return. I see a bit more upside with Howse than Lalande.
c.t.ner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:15 PM   #24
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Quote:

IMO, he has hit his peak. both years in QC he was streaky, and though I only saw the team once last year, judging by his stats, it looked to be more of the same. if i recall guys like wilhelm and monster mcguire commented with much of the same reaction as QC fans had in their 2 years. the guy gives up lots of sloppy rebounds and can be out of place.

i felt in irvings year in QC, he grew a lot and developed well. from october to may he made good progress. however, it sounded like this year he did have more setbacks. as others have said, he still has a long time.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 10:20 AM   #25
Eddie Bronze
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He had a 2.86GAA and .912SV% and yet the Jackets didn't think enough of him to bring him back, he sits as an unsigned UFA at this point with the majority of teams having their NHL and AHL guys signed or at least qualified.
Eddie Bronze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 01:06 PM   #26
jeremywilhelm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I could see the flames getting Lalande back. I wish they never traded him.
jeremywilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 07:01 PM   #27
Beerfest
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremywilhelm View Post
I could see the flames getting Lalande back. I wish they never traded him.
Why?
We got a 4th round pick for him and now have the chance to sign him for free.

Funny enough I was just talking to my dad about him, saying that maybe we should bring him back.
Beerfest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 03:51 AM   #28
icarus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
Well, here's the full story.

It all began with the free agent signing of one Mr. Robert A. Boughner on the second day of free agency in 2001. Mr. Boughner plied his trade with the Flames for a couple years before being dealt to the Carolina Hurricanes for a 4th in 04 and a 5th in 05.

The 4th was used to select Kris Hogg, who unforunately never amounted to anything for the Flames, and the 5th was used to pick Kevin Lalande.

Kevin Lalande, as discussed, was traded to Columbus for a 4th round pick in 09. So you can almost look at Boughner having been traded for a 4th in 04 and a 4th in 09.

Anyway, that 4th 09 pick was packaged along with a 3rd in 09 to move up in the 3rd round in 2009 to select Ryan Howse. But the 3rd the Flames traded to move up was gained from trading down in the first round to take Tim Erixon.

It seems the Flames must have been very high on Howse at the 09 draft and not expected him to drop to the 3rd round because they essentially traded down in the 1st round just to trade up in the 3rd (throwing in the 4th as well).

In a reductionist analysis, the Flames acquired Ryan Howse for Bob Boughner and dropping down a few spots in the first round of the 09 draft.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:49 PM   #29
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:

I would hope that Sutter doesn't view it as "We've invested a first round pick". That pick is a sunk cost, you give the job to the kid who has the best combination of ability and potential whether he's a first rounder or a seventh rounder.

That said, the kid who looks like he has the best potential is probably Irving.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote