Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2008, 03:14 PM   #21
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey_the_redneck View Post
I think Moon is too critical of our defense prospects in the WHL. He has trashed both Aulie and Negrin, yet they seem to be highly regarded by Sutter, and now in Aulie's case, Hockey Canada as well...........
I am not sure how I have "trashed" them. Many others seemed surprised that Aulie made and didn't expect him to make the team.

I pointed out that watching him play his style did not seem suited to the international rules/speed. Take a look at Wheatkings boards from last season during the play-offs, he wasn't the most popular player on the team. The Canes were a smallish, quick team and they gave him a lot of trouble.

In regards to Negrin I have said that he wasn't good enough to make the team this year and not likely next year as well, and certainly not in a top 4 role.

I would say that based on his results this year that has been proven true.

I am sorry that I don't immediately think our prospects are the next Robbie Schremp but if I watch someone play I don't care if they are drafted by Calgary, Edmonton or Pluto they still get evaluated the same.

Perhaps if some people didn't have such grandiose ideas about some of the prospects my realistic critiques about 3rd round and later picks wouldn't seem so much as "trashing" them but more about pointing out the realistic holes in their games.

I am sure that Sutter was big on a lot of other prospects he has had in the past that have never come close to the NHL as well.
moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 09:55 PM   #22
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
Because as I have stated many times Aulie has had trouble dealing with fast, smaller forwards in the WHL.

You get him out there with international refs that will call him for every elbow, hold, rough and I think he will really struggle.

He didn't look good against the average players in the WHL and with the forgiving (for his type of game) refs and that doesn't bode well for when the players get faster, better and the reffing gets more ridiculous.

Obviously the team Canada scouts saw something in his game but I have a hard time seeing what that could possibly having watched him play in the WHL.
Meh, Robyn Regehr was supposed to be a big slow oaf in 1999 (?) and turned out to be Canada's best defenseman.

There might be more ice, but there's also more distance to reach the net. If they played hockey on a soccer field with hockey nets, I don't think that will help the forwards that much more either. I don't believe in the physical/slow defenseman = bad on international ice, they just have to adapt.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:21 PM   #23
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanuthier View Post
Meh, Robyn Regehr was supposed to be a big slow oaf in 1999 (?) and turned out to be Canada's best defenseman.

There might be more ice, but there's also more distance to reach the net. If they played hockey on a soccer field with hockey nets, I don't think that will help the forwards that much more either. I don't believe in the physical/slow defenseman = bad on international ice, they just have to adapt.

Well Regehr was a first round draft choice so obviously had a bit more well rounded skills than Aulie.

Also I think that they are playing on NHL sized ice since the tournament is in Canada this year.

It isn't just the ice as much as it is the style and reffing that I think will cause trouble. However, as I said obviously the scouts have seen something and even with a "weak" defensive group this year being counted on to be a top 4 guy shows that they believe that he will be able to be successful.

Hearing that Teubert is supposed to be on the "shut-down" pair is equally if not more scary in my view.

This team will really miss Schenn and Doughty (amongst others).
moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 03:58 PM   #24
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post

This team will really miss Schenn and Doughty (amongst others).
Agreed... Personally I believe Sweden is the team to beat this year.
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 07:24 PM   #25
Ronald Pagan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Sweden looks really good.

Too bad it's in Canada this year as this is the one tournament that I have had the least confidence in in about 7 or 8 years.
Ronald Pagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 12:34 AM   #26
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Pagan View Post
I've ran that through my head a couple of times. What do scouts see that we, the knowledgeable hockey fan, don't?

It's a great question and I suppose if we knew the answer we would too look for those things. But it's puzzled me too. I wonder if they look more for at individual skills - break down the skating stride, how quick they get shot off - more of the technical abilities - while the rest of us getting caught just watching the player as a whole.

Just a guess though.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 12:40 AM   #27
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ Yeah I think so too. Pelech was drafted playing only a handful of games in his draft year, and putting 2 and 2 together with that St Louis Blues draft video, they seem to draft on things fans don't really take into consideration. A guy like Pardy for instance, everyone was ragging on cause he couldn't handle the puck stuff like that, but Keenan kept playing him because he knew there were more important things to the game that Pardy brought, like sound positioning. As fans, I guess we don't really don't appreciate when players keep their game simple and we look for the big hit, the scrambly play and the fancy goal. Everyone was dissapointed in Backlund thinking he flamed out, because he wasn't a young Hakan Loob here, but what makes Backlund great is he makes tough plays at his pace and confidently. I don't know much about Turris personally, but I'd imagine its the same - just fundamentals that are beyond a fans view.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:00 AM   #28
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

^Yeah exactly. Another example would be footwork. I know its important particularly for dmen - but can I watch two players and say which has better footwork. No way. From time to time I'll notice a dman screw up and think to myself 'boy his footwork seemed messed up there' but apart from those rare moments I have no idea how to watch a player and assess that part of their game.

I think it really is watching the game and entirely different level than we as fans do.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 01:28 AM   #29
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ Yeah, they really do see how all the intricate wheels and gears work to a player, I wonder if they ever read HF or CP or any other fan msg board and laugh at what morons we are.

I remember reading a long little article about how scouts evaluate players, all the different types of skating and shooting and passing and whatnot. I tried following it like a recipe and a few "busts" I predicted were Brad Boyes and Mike Cammalleri - whoops.

For that reason, I sort of gave up on evaluating new draftees and avoid picking winners, losers or who they should even pick at all unless there is a player that I might specially know. Niemsz? Wahl? Uh, great... I guess we'll find out in 5 years.

(Still like my sig form an icarus quote though)

Last edited by Phanuthier; 12-17-2008 at 01:31 AM.
Phanuthier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 11:09 PM   #30
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If size becomes an issue during the tournament, the Canadian team can send out their own two towers in 6-foot-6 Keith Aulie and 6-foot-7 Tyler Myers. "They seem to fit real well," explained Quinn. "They cover lots of territory, they're defensively sound and they both skate well."

Coming from a veteran NHL coach who has won at almost every international level,
"I know the coaches want me to be physical out there," said Myers. "That's what I'm going to try and do and Aulie's a great partner to have out there to shut guys down."
http://www.tsn.ca/world_jrs/story/?i...headlines_main
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote