Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2024, 03:54 PM   #21
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
My own purely speculation is that Rasmus has been playing through some sort of injury or 2 and that he’ll be getting surgery once the season is over. He’ll be better next season again.
Frankly he hasn't been the same since the Detroit incident. Like, he's been good for the most part but the lights defitely been dimmed from where he was at performance wise prior to the incident.
Old 03-29-2024, 03:55 PM   #22
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

The minute Hanifin was traded is the time Andersson was off limits. Sure, if the right deal came along and someone overpaid then I’m all for it. However, look at how bad the D is without Tanev and Hanifin right now. Imagine that without Andersson. Do you want to steer away the confidence of our top goalie prospect? He does need help. Andersson imo should be a Flame his whole career if possible, it’s always hard to find reliable RHD that can eat 22+ mins a game.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2024, 04:43 PM   #23
the-rasta-masta
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post

Doesn’t have quite the offensive game we all hoped
I would say he’s surpassed expectations offensively. 50 points two years ago, 49 last year, and could get to 40 points this year still, despite reduced PP time and a lack of top end talent to pass the puck up ice to.

In the last 30 years the list of Flames defenceman who’ve had a 50 point season is pretty short. Housley, Phaneuf, Wideman, Giordano and Andersson.
the-rasta-masta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to the-rasta-masta For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2024, 04:55 PM   #24
Ba'alzamon
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-rasta-masta View Post
I would say he’s surpassed expectations offensively. 50 points two years ago, 49 last year, and could get to 40 points this year still, despite reduced PP time and a lack of top end talent to pass the puck up ice to.

In the last 30 years the list of Flames defenceman who’ve had a 50 point season is pretty short. Housley, Phaneuf, Wideman, Giordano and Andersson.
Hamilton.
Ba'alzamon is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ba'alzamon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2024, 04:58 PM   #25
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

I actually think the lack of right shot dmen that might be available and are good that if a team offered a haul for Anderson the Flames should look at it. If you are looking for a right shot dman who is available via trade or UFA the list is extremely small. When you factor in the contract for the next two seasons and it is basically him that could be available, can easily play in the top 4 and has a good contract.

Losing him would really hurt an already bad group of dmen but if the return was high enough I would look at it if I was Conroy. I would really only do it if the team was drafting a dman with their first pick in this draft, because they would only have one legitimate top 4 NHL dman if they traded Rasmus.
Aarongavey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 05:32 PM   #26
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
The team traded away 3 of their top 6 blue liners already this season. Why on earth would fans immediately put the bullseye on one of the two remaining defenseman on the roster that have top 4 pedigree? You have to keep some NHL caliber players as this organization isn't going to go the Sharks/Hawks route of icing and AHL roster in the NHL.
Agree with the rest of your post, but this is an AHL roster now.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 02:52 PM   #27
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Andersson will be here long term, I am very confident on that.
It makes me very happy to see you say this, given your connections to the organization and because I am a massive Rasmus fan. I think it was the 2020 offseason, but there was a season when he had a down year and CP was mostly down on him too (I'd guess around 75% wanted him gone), while me and a small minority continued to have faith in the guy.

Rasmus is a solid defenceman and the sort of defenceman you need to keep in the organization. He's easy to get down on for some because their expectations of him are out of whack, and they assume that someone who plays top minutes needs to get 55+ every season when he simply isn't that kind of player. There's room in the top 4 (and tremendous value) for guys who chip in here and there, can move the puck out calmly with their first pass, aren't disasters defensively and have a voice in the room. These defencemen are everywhere in the league and make their teams better.

I bet he'll come in around 6.5-7.5 AAV in 2 years (cap is going up, Calgary tax), which lines up for a 2/3 dman in his age group who produces the way he does.

Rasmus was one of my choices for captain in the offseason. I'm a big fan and have always been perplexed at why it *feels* like the majority of this board are done with the guy and would prefer he be traded.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 03:03 PM   #28
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anderson is one of the last guys I would get rid of. Good player and seems like a leader in the room.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Goriders For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2024, 03:24 PM   #29
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goriders View Post
Anderson is one of the last guys I would get rid of. Good player and seems like a leader in the room.
Are you prepared to sign him to a long term contract when his contract is over?
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 03:50 PM   #30
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
I think that’s what people are saying, yes.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 03:52 PM   #31
BigThief
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

If Goriders doesn't sign him I will
BigThief is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigThief For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2024, 05:34 PM   #32
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I think that’s what people are saying, yes.
Even if that is 8 years?
Old 03-30-2024, 09:57 PM   #33
BigThief
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Even if that is 8 years?
Yeah man, 100%. That's what I'm saying, eight years max amount that year
BigThief is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 11:42 PM   #34
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Trade him while he still has term. We just saw what UFAs get you and it isn't great.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 07:39 AM   #35
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackey View Post
Trade him while he still has term. We just saw what UFAs get you and it isn't great.
The Flames did alright. They traded Hanifin to a team that looks like it will be a bubble team in 2026 for a 2026 1st round pick unprotected, a 3rd round pick that has an outside chance to become a 2nd and a dman who looks like he will be a regular in the NHL.

They traded a 50-60 point center for a 1st round pick, a 4th round pick, one very good defensive prospect and another defensive prospect and a current NHL player who is better offensively than the one they traded away and has one year left on his contract.

They traded a 5/6 dman for a 3rd and a 5th.

And they traded a top 4 dman for a 2nd, a former 2nd and a 3rd that could become a 2nd.

Over the summer they traded a 30 goal RW for a 30 goal winger and a 3rd round pick.

I might be missing something but what you get for UFA’s seems pretty good.
Aarongavey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 10:20 AM   #36
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
The Flames did alright. They traded Hanifin to a team that looks like it will be a bubble team in 2026 for a 2026 1st round pick unprotected, a 3rd round pick that has an outside chance to become a 2nd and a dman who looks like he will be a regular in the NHL.

They traded a 50-60 point center for a 1st round pick, a 4th round pick, one very good defensive prospect and another defensive prospect and a current NHL player who is better offensively than the one they traded away and has one year left on his contract.

They traded a 5/6 dman for a 3rd and a 5th.

And they traded a top 4 dman for a 2nd, a former 2nd and a 3rd that could become a 2nd.

Over the summer they traded a 30 goal RW for a 30 goal winger and a 3rd round pick.

I might be missing something but what you get for UFA’s seems pretty good.

It can get you a bunch if quantity, but the jury is still out as how much quality they got.

That’s the nature of rentals.

Trading players with term may get you some actual quality.

Now, the hope is that some of the quantity may get you some quality. But that’s not certain.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2024, 03:45 PM   #37
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Why wouldn’t you if you wanted to keep him. Of course.

Would you want to perpetuate the Flames as an undesirable place to play. This season and the previous have set them on that trajectory. They better start dealing with that if they want to be a cup contender. To think they are going to get there strictly through intentionally being uncompetitive and drafting high is laughable. They are going to need free agents and to retain their current talent as well.

We are becoming Buffalo west
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 04:06 PM   #38
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Would you want to perpetuate the Flames as an undesirable place to play. This season and the previous have set them on that trajectory. They better start dealing with that if they want to be a cup contender. To think they are going to get there strictly through intentionally being uncompetitive and drafting high is laughable. They are going to need free agents and to retain their current talent as well.

My problem with signing him to an 8 year contract is that he will be 30 years old when his contract starts. I guess we’ll see how he ages in the next two years. I think you may need to plug your nose and extend players when you are in your contention window even though those contracts may not age well. But I don’t think Calgary will be in any kind of contention window in two years. I just think it would be better asset management to trade him rather than extend him.
Old 03-31-2024, 04:12 PM   #39
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I think extending Andersson would be a mistake.

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2024, 04:19 PM   #40
butterfly
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Having a 38-year-old Rasmus Andersson will certainly prevent that.
butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote