Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2018, 11:24 AM   #21
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Backs deserves an A.
direwolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 11:27 AM   #22
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Wonder View Post
So if they take the A off Brouwer, does that sour the mood in the room. There were rumblings last year that he was miserable to be around because he didn't think he belonged on the 4th line, would ripping the letter make it even more toxic?

And since his NMC is over, could the flames send him down?

I’ve never heard anything like what you’re talking about. But *if* he were to have his letter stripped and *if* his response is to pout and get salty rather than play better and earn it back, then he has no business being anywhere near this team anyway.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mrdonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2018, 11:28 AM   #23
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
Where are these rumblings from? I've never heard anything like that, quite the opposite actually.
I believe it was either on the Fan morning show or on the TV broadcast. It may have been pure speculation but it wouldn't be surprising that a player who expected top 6 minutes was assigned to the 4th line and may have been unhappy about it.
The Boy Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 11:29 AM   #24
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

this annoys me a little bit, but Brouwer never had a NMC.

He had a full NTC. It is now a 15 team NTC.

NMC prevents assignment to the minors and expansion draft protection.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2018, 11:29 AM   #25
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So if they take the A off Brouwer, does that sour the mood in the room. There were rumblings last year that he was miserable to be around because he didn't think he belonged on the 4th line, would ripping the letter make it even more toxic?

And since his NMC is over, could the flames send him down?
None of us are in the dressing room so we really don't know what the situation is. But from a fan's perspective, I personally couldn't give 2 craps if it sours the room, hurts his feelings and he sulks all day long if the A is torn off his sweater. All the 'problems' surrounding Troy Brouwer fall as his feet and his alone. If you're making 4.5 million, you best be performing like a 4.5 million player. Then, and only then will I ever agree with a player who decides to sulk his way through a demotion that he feels he doesn't deserve.

Nothing GMG more then highly paid players who complain about their role, when they fail time and time again to live up to their contract. Should Johnny Gaudreau be relegated to 3rd line duty, sure I can get on board with him sulking about it given how he performs. I sided with Tanguay when he was uphappy about his role, given that he put up PPG the season before and then got moved down the lineup. To a certain extent, I even agreed with D. Hamilton not being happy about his role going forward with the team with Brodie moving up to play with Gio. Those guys all earned their paychecks and earned the right to be unhappy about those changes. I can understand their position.

But a guy like T-Bro who has failed at his job pretty much 2 months into his new contract, gets paid 4.5 million/yr, and negotiated a partial NTC to boot?

Get outta here with that whining crap.

I would make the captains:

C - Gio
A - Monahan
A - Backlund

Give it to the guys who have been here for a while, play against the oppositions top guys, and who show up every game and set the example for the team to follow. Heck I would even consider giving it to Gaudreau. He's by far the team's best player most nights, is underpaid for what he brings, and seems to have a hand in convincing players to sign with Calgary and then welcoming them as soon as they sign. I wouldn't be surprised to see Johnny rocking the A one day soon.

Last edited by Huntingwhale; 07-03-2018 at 11:33 AM.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2018, 11:34 AM   #26
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think the issue is whether it sours Brouwer. It's whether it sours the room or causes division. Like it or not, he likely has friends on the roster (though I'm pretty sure his best buddy was Versteeg and he's gone). But also, there are probably guys who just don't like stripping a letter from a player at all.

Maybe they should do a combination of player choice and coach's decision by having the players do a secret ballot of guys they want as A's and the coaches pick from them. If Brouwer is at the top of that list, I don't think we as fans have any cause for complaint.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 11:35 AM   #27
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
this annoys me a little bit, but Brouwer never had a NMC.

He had a full NTC. It is now a 15 team NTC.

NMC prevents assignment to the minors and expansion draft protection.
Ahh my apologies, I saw many posts last year talking about how he couldn't be sent down so I assumed that it was a NMC.
The Boy Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 11:42 AM   #28
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I believe it was either on the Fan morning show or on the TV broadcast. It may have been pure speculation but it wouldn't be surprising that a player who expected top 6 minutes was assigned to the 4th line and may have been unhappy about it.
It was the 960 morning show. I can't recall if it was Pinder or Boomer but they mentioned whispers he wasn't happy about his role.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2018, 11:45 AM   #29
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I get the feeling that people place too much weight on wearing a letter in that other people can't be leaders or maybe they feel slighted if they aren't named captain.

A true leader will lead whether they are given the leadership role or not. A true and effective leader can help lead the group to follow the lead of the people given the leadership role.

I don't really care who gets the letters as long as the person is not incompetent as a leader.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2018, 11:49 AM   #30
CsInMyBlood
Franchise Player

Location: F*** me. We're so f***ing good, you check the f***ing standings? Lets f***ing go! F***ing practice!
Exp:

After all the rave reviews that Backlund was given from the coaching staff, his players and the media during the worlds after captaining the Swedes to gold I would be shocked if it wasnt given to him. Backlund said he loved the challenge and was honoured to be the choice as captain.

Brouwer needs to be off this team, never mind wearing a letter. You think anyone in that dressing room would bat an eye if Brouwer was stripped of it? Still annoys me that he was just handed it before he played one game in this jersey.

With the years of service and the way he bleeds being a Flame, Backlund deserves that A.

Backlund for Selke 2017 2018
Oilers suck.
CsInMyBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CsInMyBlood For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2018, 12:08 PM   #31
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CsInMyBlood View Post
After all the rave reviews that Backlund was given from the coaching staff, his players and the media during the worlds after captaining the Swedes to gold I would be shocked if it wasnt given to him. Backlund said he loved the challenge and was honoured to be the choice as captain.

Brouwer needs to be off this team, never mind wearing a letter. You think anyone in that dressing room would bat an eye if Brouwer was stripped of it? Still annoys me that he was just handed it before he played one game in this jersey.

With the years of service and the way he bleeds being a Flame, Backlund deserves that A.
I would not be shocked if there were some guys that didn't like it. Some because he's friends with them and some because they don't like it when anyone gets stripped of a letter.

Are there guys who don't like that he has one? Maybe, but I haven't heard anything like that. I just think fans are the last ones to be concerned about on this.

I wouldn't be surprised if Backlund has turned down an A before. Or not put his name forward, if that's their process.
Old 07-03-2018, 12:14 PM   #32
brew
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Earned and deserved

brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to brew For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2018, 12:23 PM   #33
camm13
Scoring Winger

Exp:

If you're wearing a letter, you need to take ownership of it. What exactly has Brouwer done for the Flames, certainly doesn't lead by example on the ice. Does he wear it cause he's a good locker room guy? That's a load of garbage. I personally would like to see Backs or Hamonic get the A.

Look at the situation in Sj where they moved the captaincy from Thorton and Marleau. The team went on just fine. What is it saying to the rest of the team, when this guy who literally brings nothing to the team, gets to wear the A.
camm13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 02:26 PM   #34
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by camm13 View Post
If you're wearing a letter, you need to take ownership of it. What exactly has Brouwer done for the Flames, certainly doesn't lead by example on the ice. Does he wear it cause he's a good locker room guy? That's a load of garbage. I personally would like to see Backs or Hamonic get the A.

Look at the situation in Sj where they moved the captaincy from Thorton and Marleau. The team went on just fine. What is it saying to the rest of the team, when this guy who literally brings nothing to the team, gets to wear the A.
They missed the POs that season. 89 points after 111 the year before (yes, they lost in the first round but to the Kings who eventually won the cup, and they came closest to beating the Kings in any round.

Also it caused bad blood:

https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/j...hut-his-mouth/
Old 07-03-2018, 03:29 PM   #35
sempuki
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Neal has worn A on back to back SCF teams. He's got to be a lock here. We paid for a guy with leadership skills, let him lead.
sempuki is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sempuki For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2018, 03:41 PM   #36
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sempuki View Post
Neal has worn A on back to back SCF teams. He's got to be a lock here. We paid for a guy with leadership skills, let him lead.
I've said it before. You don't need a letter on your jersey to lead.

You should be a leader and committed to leading to earn a letter on your jersey though. Is/was that an issue in Calgary?

So I don't care who wears the letters. If there isn't anybody capable of wearing the letter then give it to Neal so that somebody who isn't prepared to lead isn't looked upon to lead but I don't think that is an issue here.
The Following User Says Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2018, 03:41 PM   #37
Mattman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Is there a limit to how many assistant captains you can have?

I remember when the Oilers had 4 one year, but I don't think they had a captain.
https://www.nhl.com/news/oilers-name...eason/c-782173

If so then I would go:
C - Giordano
A - Monahan
A - Backlund
A - Hamonic

I think that's a hard earned and stable leadership group there that carries over when Gio is gone and Backlund eventually down the road.
Old 07-03-2018, 03:44 PM   #38
sempuki
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Icon27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
I've said it before. You don't need a letter on your jersey to lead.

You should be a leader and committed to leading to earn a letter on your jersey though. Is/was that an issue in Calgary?

So I don't care who wears the letters. If there isn't anybody capable of wearing the letter then give it to Neal so that somebody who isn't prepared to lead isn't looked upon to lead but I don't think that is an issue here.
A letter is tacit approval. It shouldn't stop you, but it does mean something.
sempuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 03:44 PM   #39
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattman View Post

I remember when the Oilers had 4 one year, but I don't think they had a captain.

If so then I would go:
C - Giordano
A - Monahan
A - Backlund
A - Hamonic

I think that's a hard earned and stable leadership group there that carries over when Gio is gone and Backlund eventually down the road.
One player must wear the 'C' and two players must wear the 'A' (or at least a max of two) per game. You can rotated through who gets the letters if you want.

I remember one year the Minnesota Wild had a different captain each month.

A couple of years ago the Flames had different alternates for home/away games.

So, no limit to who you want to wear letters or be leaders, but only so many per game can.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2018, 03:45 PM   #40
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattman View Post

If so then I would go:
C - Giordano
A - Monahan
A - Backlund
A - Hamonic

You can have 4 A’s if no one wears a C.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote