Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 08:49 PM   #3961
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Wait, what??? Are you suggesting a hunter uses an AR-x as a rifle for hunting?

Seriously, that if that is what you are suggesting, that is the dumbest thing I have heard in years. No hunter needs more than a magazine of four rounds to take down their prey. If they do, they should take up hunting prey in the deli section of the local market.

There is no doubt that the bump stock is for fun, but the reality is that it makes an AR a weapon of mass murder if put in the hands of someone with an agenda. But there is the rub, guns can be for fun, or they can be for committing mass murder.

No I wasn’t suggesting that. But people use them for hunting more than you would think. Google it for yourself.

I agree with your second paragraph. I was trying to make the same point with mine. The only person who would have a serious use for a bump stock is a mass murderer. They should be banned, but I have no faith that they will be.
Old 02-17-2018, 09:21 PM   #3962
wwkayaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
This girl is a badass.

I don’t have any faith in the current government doing anything about guns. However, the kids involved in this shooting are giving me hope; the kids at this high school are a small group but kids are so adept with social media that I can see a larger movement happening.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to wwkayaker For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2018, 10:24 PM   #3963
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwkayaker View Post
I don’t have any faith in the current government doing anything about guns. However, the kids involved in this shooting are giving me hope; the kids at this high school are a small group but kids are so adept with social media that I can see a larger movement happening.
Lets hope so. However my American relatives are about as liberal as they come. My Aunt stopped flying thier flag once Trump was elected, and vowed never to fly it again until he was voted out. They have a freaking arsenal of guns that were handed down to them when her dad died. When we visited them and I asked what they were going to do whith all of them, they replied that they would keep them in the family and hand them down to my cousins. Its crazy, like its a part of the family.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:41 PM   #3964
wwkayaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have tried to understand the gun lust but I don’t get it. I spend my summers in Boise, Idaho and have many friends who own guns and hold strong 2nd amendment views. I even got one friend to take me shooting where I got to fire a glock handgun and an AR-15. Honestly, the glock scared me more as I had never fired a handgun. The AR-15 looks mean but it really is like a .270 or such provided it doesn’t have alterations done to the firing mechanism.

Here’s my stance and I own guns. If the government wanted to restrict/confiscate guns in an effort to stop more school shootings, I would hand over my guns without issue. Owning a gun just isn’t as important as a child’s life.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:50 PM   #3965
wwkayaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 Ball View Post
Lets hope so. However my American relatives are about as liberal as they come. My Aunt stopped flying thier flag once Trump was elected, and vowed never to fly it again until he was voted out. They have a freaking arsenal of guns that were handed down to them when her dad died. When we visited them and I asked what they were going to do whith all of them, they replied that they would keep them in the family and hand them down to my cousins. Its crazy, like its a part of the family.

I don’t think the process will be quick. In the past year, the women’s movement has been gaining traction. I don’t have the source, but several months ago I read an article stating that the percentage of women entering politics had increased significantly.

I’m hoping the kids can build their voice and make an impact. I taught for years and I’m happily surprised with the speaking ability of the teenagers from Florida. They have a great message and charisma which could gain momentum.

Immigrants have a whole other battle. But, IMO groups that have been held down or undervalued are demanding a voice.
Old 02-18-2018, 12:16 AM   #3966
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Meh. There are protests and calls for change after every shooting. Nothing is going to happen this time.

I love America and Americans but their country is broken. The love of guns and belief they equal freedom is crazy and dangerous. You are not the land of the free. Gambling and prostitution are mostly illegal, they have the most prisoners in the world, you can't drink til you are 21, and you can't even buy a freaking kinder surprise egg, yet easy access to killing machines makes you free. Idiots.
Old 02-18-2018, 04:29 AM   #3967
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
This girl is a badass.
The youth of tomorrow will crush stupidity groups like the NRA and the GOP
Old 02-18-2018, 07:57 AM   #3968
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Or they sell out and lose their ideals.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 02-18-2018, 08:54 AM   #3969
missdpuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Calls for gun control grow louder after shootinghttps://www.wptv.com/news/state/calls-for-gun-control-grow-louder-after-parkland-shooting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-18-2018, 08:55 AM   #3970
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Or they sell out and lose their ideals.
This is something I've been wondering about, too. Which way is this going to go. Millennials and down have crushing debt...what are they going to do if someone offers them a couple mill to miss a vote. Or vote a certain way. Will government have some massive upheavals within the next decade or so...or will it be business as usual. I hope for change, and worry about business as usual.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:12 AM   #3971
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I've often said that the only way that America will ever change their gun rules and other policies is if there' a uprising followed by a 10 year dictatorial regime.

You guys might think I'm joking, but things are a complete mess down there in terms of basic freedoms, health care, gun control and economic reality.

But they won't think that things are bad and will continue to ignore the need for change and reform until everything that they take for granted and refuse to fight for is taken away.

American's are at their best when they have to fight for something that they believe in with all of their heart.

I mean lets be honest, America hasn't had good leadership in about 60 years, they have Presidents that get captured by the system and pretty much give up during their first term because there is a fear of or inability to change.

You want a change to gun control? Then a super being has to take control of the government and remove guns in the name of stability and public safety. You need to find a President that's willing to put the military on the streets and collecting civilian fire arms.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 02-18-2018, 10:52 AM   #3972
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
...put the military on the streets and collecting civilian fire arms.
It is not likely that the US military will do that, and I think a very large number of law enforcement wouldn't support it, either.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:13 AM   #3973
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

I'm starting to think that this quote, mis-attributed to Thomas Jefferson:

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

is going to effectively become:

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government lobbying groups."

I think change is not going to come from the government of the United States, I think if change is going to come it will be with a takeover of the NRA (either infiltration or intimidation).

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Old 02-18-2018, 11:15 AM   #3974
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
I think change is not going to come from the government of the United States, I think if change is going to come it will be with a takeover of the NRA (either infiltration or intimidation).
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 02-18-2018, 12:58 PM   #3975
Canuck-Hater
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Ain't that the truth. So proud of these kids.

https://twitter.com/user/status/965224744449605632
Old 02-18-2018, 01:32 PM   #3976
Point Blank
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think it's incredibly amazing that these teens are rallying for change, but also feel saddened that the teens feel the need to do this. Shouldn't the adults be the ones who make meaningful change to the system?
Originally Posted by Hockey Fan #751 View Post
The Oilers won't finish 14th in the West forever.

Eventually a couple of expansion teams will be added which will nestle the Oilers into 16th.
Old 02-18-2018, 02:20 PM   #3977
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

it starts somewhere - just like the environmental movement.

Good on these kids.
Old 02-18-2018, 02:23 PM   #3978
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Point Blank View Post
I think it's incredibly amazing that these teens are rallying for change, but also feel saddened that the teens feel the need to do this. Shouldn't the adults be the ones who make meaningful change to the system?
One could say, they've had their chance(s) and have yet to step up.
Old 02-18-2018, 02:48 PM   #3979
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

I hope this is a start of a major youth movement.
Old 02-18-2018, 03:07 PM   #3980
Cowperson
CP Pontiff

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
I hope this is a start of a major youth movement.
The Baby Boom generation came of age in the 60’s and 70’s and were also called “The Protest Generation” and originators of the “Counterculture Movement.”

“Don’t Trust Anyone Over 30” was a slogan that came from that generation.

Now they’re apparently the conservative, intransigent, 60 and 70 year olds young people of today are angry at.

Some things never change.
Closed Thread