Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2024, 12:17 PM   #3961
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Polar Vortex sucks. Why can't the arctic just keep its cold air to itself? We're supposed to get more leaky arctic air as climate change messes up the gulf stream.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 12:24 PM   #3962
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Polar Vortex sucks. Why can't the arctic just keep its cold air to itself? We're supposed to get more leaky arctic air as climate change messes up the gulf stream.
Is this really a climate change thing? I feel like we've had these cold snaps for as long as I can remember and it's just part of life here. Also, in my business we call this "reversion to the mean". Warm December and now a cold January.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2024, 12:28 PM   #3963
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Is this really a climate change thing? I feel like we've had these cold snaps for as long as I can remember and it's just part of life here. Also, in my business we call this "reversion to the mean". Warm December and now a cold January.
We had cold snaps but they were different. I don't recall polar vortices penetrating as far south growing up, it was never a thing in the news like it is expected to come now every year just like summer smoke season.

Changes in temperature differences can make the polar vortex expand to more southern latitudes. While this phenomenon occurs naturally, climate change is expected to impact the frequency and severity of polar vortex events.

https://www.eesi.org/briefings/view/...ortex%20events.
Old 01-10-2024, 12:45 PM   #3964
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's a tired trope to hear from many people that chalk up every unpleasant weather experience as 'increasing in frequency/intensity due to climate change' and the over the top new terminology now used to describe long witnessed weather phenomenon. It's frustrating because it's hypocritical to have people say on one side of their mouths 'weather does not equal climate' and then have the same people attribute all weather events that feature low or high temperatures and/or low or high precipitation using new hyperbolic terminology that makes it seem in people's memories that the weather event is 'unprecedented' or a new thing. We didn't hear about Polar Vortexes in 1989, but it sure as heck got down to the -30s and 40s in Alberta in cold snaps in the past.

- 'Polar Vortex' - formally called an arctic outflow
- 'Atmospheric River' - heavy coastal rains
- 'Heat Dome' - used to simply be called a heat wave

All that said, I don't want this post being dismissed as some sort of climate change denialist rant. In my mind the evidence is provided over long term trends of observations. Eg. on the Calgary Weather Records twitter account it was interesting to see that the rain on January 1st this year is not unprecedented in Calgary's history, but that the only other time in 120+ years of history it occurred in 2016. Furthermore on that same account it's interesting to note that for most incidences of warmer temperature records they seem to be herded in more recent years. That's the story and the evidence, not the mere existence of a 'Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious Yeti cooler absolute zero Kelvin vortex' in January. "I never remember there being Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious Yeti cooler absolute zero Kelvin vortexes in the 1980s and 90s, must be due to climate change, if only we paid more carbon tax!"

Last edited by Cowboy89; 01-10-2024 at 12:54 PM.
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Cowboy89 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2024, 12:47 PM   #3965
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
We had cold snaps but they were different. I don't recall polar vortices penetrating as far south growing up, it was never a thing in the news like it is expected to come now every year just like summer smoke season.

Changes in temperature differences can make the polar vortex expand to more southern latitudes. While this phenomenon occurs naturally, climate change is expected to impact the frequency and severity of polar vortex events.

How exactly? I feel like I've gone through cold snaps like this for my entire life in Southern Alberta.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2024, 12:48 PM   #3966
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Yeah, this legit is the first time all winter things have felt normal.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2024, 01:02 PM   #3967
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Bill Matheson used to call these the dreaded Siberian High that would settle in over Alberta for a few days.

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 01:09 PM   #3968
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Honestly, growing up I had no idea whether parts of the mid-west or south were getting super cold temperatures. I just think that's part of being a kid (or whatever).

One thing about the span of media (and not just social media, but more national and global coverage overall) is that we hear all the bad news stories more frequently. When the coverage is all local, there are just less bad news stories that are extreme, so it seems infrequent. But on a national and global scale you see/hear these things all the time and things seem so much worse. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't, but it can definitely feel worse just because of recency bias.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2024, 01:33 PM   #3969
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
How exactly? I feel like I've gone through cold snaps like this for my entire life in Southern Alberta.
And usually for like, a week, not just a few days then right back to being mild
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 01:35 PM   #3970
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Honestly, growing up I had no idea whether parts of the mid-west or south were getting super cold temperatures. I just think that's part of being a kid (or whatever).

One thing about the span of media (and not just social media, but more national and global coverage overall) is that we hear all the bad news stories more frequently. When the coverage is all local, there are just less bad news stories that are extreme, so it seems infrequent. But on a national and global scale you see/hear these things all the time and things seem so much worse. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't, but it can definitely feel worse just because of recency bias.
Oddly enough in the vein of this post, the Polar Vortex news / terminology could actually be evidence of warming temperatures over time. In the 2020s temperatures like this are now noteworthy while in the 70s & 80s and before we just called it January or Winter and the phenomina didn't have a specific name.

I now live in the US and one thing I find interesting is historical pictures of places in the US with tonnes of snow, frozen over rivers, and ice jammed streams. Eg. the Ohio river in Cincinnati frozen over in the 1970s. Ice jams on the Mississippi in St Louis Missouri in the 1920s. These are now places where snow and freezing temperatures are infrequent and limited to isolated weather events and the norm isn't to have snow on the ground for extended periods longer than a week. There's people in their 40s & 50s who have never experienced a frozen over Ohio river in Cincy or Mississippi river in St. Louis.
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 01:51 PM   #3971
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

IIRC, the last two winters each had one of these polar vortexes for a brief period and then, outside of them, we experienced a very mild winter.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 01:54 PM   #3972
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Obviously my statement that I don't recall cold snaps like this or that the weather was different back then is probably reflective of getting older and perception of the world being very different when we were kids. That said, I can't explain it but I don't recall these -40 cold spells just like I don't remember the summers being full of wildfires. It's very anecdotal.

What I have read - and that is likely due to the increased focus on climate change both in academia and in news media these days - is that the warming trend causes the air streams that normally keep cold air circulating only in the arctic to break down. We will get more unstable temperatures and more extreme swings. Overall the trend will be warming, but the break down of things like the gulf stream from rising ocean temperatures etc. is what allows the polar vortex air to slip down to more southerly latitudes.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2024, 02:00 PM   #3973
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Completely anecdotally and without looking it up; maybe it just stands out more these days because rather than just dipping 10-15 degrees to reach -30 or worse, we're jumping all the way there from around 0
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 02:06 PM   #3974
curves2000
First Line Centre

Exp:

Let's not debate climate change and how it may or may not be affecting what is arguably a very cold few days in Southern Alberta and Canada as a whole. That's just normal. We don't need divisive political chat in the mega weather thread.

Let's get back to the previous conversation we had a while back regarding Parka's and winter jacket's! What is everybody rocking these days for warmth ??

Anybody hear of this company before? Anybody live in Winnipeg that knows if a factory actually exists? https://arctic-bay.ca/

The old British Military adage 7 P's apply to weeks like this one. Proper Planning and Preparation Prevent Piss Poor Performance.

Or we can do the Canadian version

Proper Parkas (Canada Goose?) and Preparation Prevents Pissy People Pissed Off!!!

All jokes aside. It's cold out there so stay warm but I am also kidding about the Parka thing. If anybody has indeed purchased a parka like above, I would like to know their thoughts.
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 02:29 PM   #3975
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
Let's not debate climate change and how it may or may not be affecting what is arguably a very cold few days in Southern Alberta and Canada as a whole. That's just normal. We don't need divisive political chat in the mega weather thread.

Let's get back to the previous conversation we had a while back regarding Parka's and winter jacket's! What is everybody rocking these days for warmth ??

I bought a few down filled vests from Uniqlo from their clearance/sales sections for $30 before the holidays. Just as warm as a Canada Goose vest. I used to have heavyweight parkas but I'm trending toward ultra-light and comfortable for winter. I'm going the way that a lot of climbers are toward lightweight but high-tech. Layering all these together makes a massive difference and adds flexibility compared to one heavy parka. The warmest thing I have in my layering is actually this North Face future-fleece.

https://www.thenorthface.com/en-ca/m...5J7S?color=I0D
Old 01-10-2024, 02:44 PM   #3976
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

If you remember cold snaps "like this one" you're old:

Quote:
"Alberta gets cold snaps every winter. We can expect at least one," said Alysa Pederson, warning preparedness meteorologist for Environment and Climate Change Canada.

"The last time Calgary hit -30 as the daytime high was actually in 2004 in January. So it hasn't happened where -30 has been our daytime high in a long time."
source

Since 2000, there have been six years (2001, 2007, 2011, 2015, 2016, 2023) where the temperature in Calgary never got below -30 at all. In the previous 115 years there were nine such years, one of which was 1999.

If you remember temperatures hitting -40, you're either talking about wind-chill or you're very old. Calgary has not reported a low temperature of -40 or colder since 1954.

Source
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to driveway For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2024, 02:48 PM   #3977
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveway View Post
If you remember cold snaps "like this one" you're old:

source

Since 2000, there have been six years (2001, 2007, 2011, 2015, 2016, 2023) where the temperature in Calgary never got below -30 at all. In the previous 115 years there were nine such years, one of which was 1999.

If you remember temperatures hitting -40, you're either talking about wind-chill or you're very old. Calgary has not reported a low temperature of -40 or colder since 1954.

Source
I think we're just talking about today so far. It's -20. Fairly standard issue for a Calgary day in January.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2024, 03:04 PM   #3978
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
Bill Matheson used to call these the dreaded Siberian High that would settle in over Alberta for a few days.
"that most dreaded of all meteorological phenomena, the Siberian High", to quote him and that was from the 1980's. Polar Vortex has been around forever.

The man was legendary, his weather forecasts were fantastic.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2024, 03:05 PM   #3979
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I think we're just talking about today so far. It's -20. Fairly standard issue for a Calgary day in January.
And plus, no need to get pedantic about a specific temperature. Once it hit's -30 or whatever with a slight breeze it's just plain cold. Is it a few degrees warmer than that other time? Maybe, but I don't care.
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2024, 04:04 PM   #3980
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post

Anybody hear of this company before? Anybody live in Winnipeg that knows if a factory actually exists? https://arctic-bay.ca/

The old British Military adage 7 P's apply to weeks like this one. Proper Planning and Preparation Prevent Piss Poor Performance.

Or we can do the Canadian version

Proper Parkas (Canada Goose?) and Preparation Prevents Pissy People Pissed Off!!!

All jokes aside. It's cold out there so stay warm but I am also kidding about the Parka thing. If anybody has indeed purchased a parka like above, I would like to know their thoughts.
Ya, keep that brown bag on your head if you think discussing the changing climate in a weather thread is off base. It's not political unless you make it so.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post: