Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-26-2020, 04:09 PM   #3941
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
I was just day dreaming today about how lucky Bennett is to finally be free of Jankowski. Bennetts game needs intensity and speed, and Jankowski is about as fast and intense as a pillow fight in a seniors home.
One of the most aggravating things about watching games last season was to see Bennett carry the puck in, sweep to the net or grind to the back of the net, launch a stealth pass out to Janko or Reider, and Janko or Reider being completely bamboozled.

I'm actually really looking forward to the bottom six Flames this year, and that's in complete mirror image to how I feel about watching the top six.
Old 10-26-2020, 04:22 PM   #3942
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

This nose-to-top-of-head measurement direction this thread has taken is fantastic... Is Johnny the smallest player in the league? Who would be in that conversation?
Old 10-26-2020, 04:49 PM   #3943
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gerbe
Old 10-26-2020, 05:22 PM   #3944
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
One of the most aggravating things about watching games last season was to see Bennett carry the puck in, sweep to the net or grind to the back of the net, launch a stealth pass out to Janko or Reider, and Janko or Reider being completely bamboozled.

I'm actually really looking forward to the bottom six Flames this year, and that's in complete mirror image to how I feel about watching the top six.
I really didn’t see a whole lot of that TBH. Bennett usually lost the puck nearer the blue line.
Old 10-26-2020, 05:41 PM   #3945
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I really didn’t see a whole lot of that TBH. Bennett usually lost the puck nearer the blue line.
You may have seen what you saw, but the numbers imply Bennett's line had one of the highest scoring chance rates in the league. But Bennett was the only one finishing when Bennett was on the ice.

Specifically, Bennett had an on-ice expected goals of 24.19 but only 17 were scored. Of that, his own chances were 7.29 xG and he scored 8 goals.

The other four players on the ice with him had 16.9 expected goals and scored... 9 goals.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 10-26-2020 at 05:45 PM.
Old 10-26-2020, 06:02 PM   #3946
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
You may have seen what you saw, but the numbers imply Bennett's line had one of the highest scoring chance rates in the league. But Bennett was the only one finishing when Bennett was on the ice.

Specifically, Bennett had an on-ice expected goals of 24.19 but only 17 were scored. Of that, his own chances were 7.29 xG and he scored 8 goals.

The other four players on the ice with him had 16.9 expected goals and scored... 9 goals.
I did see what I saw. I fear we are romanticizing Bennett’s full season based on him being one of the better skaters of a bad bunch in the POs.

I’m not crazy about the expected goals stat, frankly.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2020, 07:34 PM   #3947
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

CAR makes a lot of sense for Laine. Fellow Finn(s) on the top-line, and they've got a glut of solid, young, cost controlled D-men heading into the ED.

Trocheck+Slavin/Skjei. Could easily add another quality piece and take back something lesser from WIN.

Teravainen-Aho-Laine
Foegle-Staal-Svechnikov
Dzingel-Necas-Niedereiter
McGinn-Martinook-Fast

Slavin-Hamilton
Gardiner-Pesce
Bean-Fleury

They'd even have a little more cap room to upgrade their goaltending (MAF, or go all in on the Finns with Rask)
Old 10-26-2020, 08:01 PM   #3948
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
CAR makes a lot of sense for Laine. Fellow Finn(s) on the top-line, and they've got a glut of solid, young, cost controlled D-men heading into the ED.

Trocheck+Slavin/Skjei. Could easily add another quality piece and take back something lesser from WIN.

Teravainen-Aho-Laine
Foegle-Staal-Svechnikov
Dzingel-Necas-Niedereiter
McGinn-Martinook-Fast

Slavin-Hamilton
Gardiner-Pesce
Bean-Fleury

They'd even have a little more cap room to upgrade their goaltending (MAF, or go all in on the Finns with Rask)
Slavin is a top 5 defenseman on the planet and has a good contract. He’s worth more than Laine + a 1st. Not to mention he’s the core and backbone of that team.

Last edited by 1qqaaz; 10-26-2020 at 08:05 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2020, 08:30 PM   #3949
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
Slavin is a top 5 defenseman on the planet and has a good contract. He’s worth more than Laine + a 1st. Not to mention he’s the core and backbone of that team.

Fair, albeit hyperbolous.

The point is CAR can easily afford to part with the rumoured price, though I’m not certain Skjei and Trocheck gets it done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-26-2020, 09:15 PM   #3950
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Slavin is a top 10 D in the league, close to top 5 than top 10 (view him as #6 or #7). It would be Laine+ for Slavin.

Pesce/Skjei + Trochek + 2021 2nd would be a hard to pass up by Winnipeg. And, the Canes would be hard to compete against with snipers Laine and Svechnikov on different lines in the top 6.
Old 10-26-2020, 10:23 PM   #3951
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18YrOldSamBennett View Post
Gaudreau used to come to the restaurant I worked at a few years back, I am 5'6 and he's about the same height as me. The 5'9 they have Johnny listed at is generous.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk
I've stood beside Johnny at a prospects camp, and there's no way he's 5'9", he's shorter than that. I met Ferland at an autograph signing-he's listed at 6'2", but he's actually the same height as me, and I'm 6 feet tall. He was eye to eye with me.

My brother met Bennett, and he swore they were the same height-and my brother is a shade over 6'2". It kind of gels with the story that Bennett measured 187cm at one of the training camp weigh-ins, which is a shade under 6'2".
Old 10-26-2020, 10:35 PM   #3952
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
I've stood beside Johnny at a prospects camp, and there's no way he's 5'9", he's shorter than that. I met Ferland at an autograph signing-he's listed at 6'2", but he's actually the same height as me, and I'm 6 feet tall. He was eye to eye with me.

My brother met Bennett, and he swore they were the same height-and my brother is a shade over 6'2". It kind of gels with the story that Bennett measured 187cm at one of the training camp weigh-ins, which is a shade under 6'2".
I met Bennett and Monahan in January. I’m 6’1”, and there was no notable difference between the three of us height-wise. So I’d comfortably agree with Bennett being listed at 6’1” or slightly taller and Monahan at 6’2”.
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2020, 05:10 AM   #3953
scotty2hotty
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I’ve never met any of them and I’m 5’10”.
Old 10-27-2020, 07:23 AM   #3954
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty2hotty View Post
I’ve never met any of them and I’m 5’10”.
I used to be 5'10" and a tiny bit, and always rounded up to 5'11". lol

but I think aging has me down to 5'9" now.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2020, 08:22 AM   #3955
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
I used to be 5'10" and a tiny bit, and always rounded up to 5'11". lol

but I think aging has me down to 5'9" now.
I was 6'2 and 3/4". I too am sure that I have shrunk, maybe by 3/4". So I went the opposite way and just say I'm 6'3".
Old 10-27-2020, 09:15 AM   #3956
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

The thread title should be changed to height rumours and speculation.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2020, 09:24 AM   #3957
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post

I have noticed the same thing in AC’s video compilations.
Old 10-27-2020, 10:38 AM   #3958
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
I did see what I saw. I fear we are romanticizing Bennett’s full season based on him being one of the better skaters of a bad bunch in the POs.

I’m not crazy about the expected goals stat, frankly.
Whether you like the stat or not it's available, and he looked it up.

So he's not really romanticizing anything ... just summarizing the numbers.

There will be better ways to zero in on this stuff in the future, but given the current state of analytics Bennett has always created more value in terms of chance generation than he does in actual goals.

So why?

1. Him - lack of finish? Hard luck?
2. Linemates - once again lack of finish, but also potentially lack of quality he's playing with.

The sample size will need to be repeated in the regular season, but at least we saw a number of games where Bennett played with linemates with better hands (Dube) and what that could mean.

Will be really interesting if he starts the year on the third line, centering better linemates.
Old 10-27-2020, 10:58 AM   #3959
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Whether you like the stat or not it's available, and he looked it up.

So he's not really romanticizing anything ... just summarizing the numbers.

There will be better ways to zero in on this stuff in the future, but given the current state of analytics Bennett has always created more value in terms of chance generation than he does in actual goals.

So why?

1. Him - lack of finish? Hard luck?
2. Linemates - once again lack of finish, but also potentially lack of quality he's playing with.

The sample size will need to be repeated in the regular season, but at least we saw a number of games where Bennett played with linemates with better hands (Dube) and what that could mean.

Will be really interesting if he starts the year on the third line, centering better linemates.
It's almost a given that any player will have better stats if he plays with better line mates. Guys like Neal aside of course.

My comment on the particular stat is simply that I'm not sold on its validity. I'm much more happy to look at other stats that support Bennett being the best player on the Flames.

I'm just not seeing the creativity from Bennett that people are ascribing. I'm much more often seeing him taking advantage of plays commenced by line mates - banging in rebounds, etc. That's a good thing, but IMO he's still the guy he's always been. The team's just gotten deeper around him.
Old 10-27-2020, 11:10 AM   #3960
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
It's almost a given that any player will have better stats if he plays with better line mates. Guys like Neal aside of course.

My comment on the particular stat is simply that I'm not sold on its validity. I'm much more happy to look at other stats that support Bennett being the best player on the Flames.

I'm just not seeing the creativity from Bennett that people are ascribing. I'm much more often seeing him taking advantage of plays commenced by line mates - banging in rebounds, etc. That's a good thing, but IMO he's still the guy he's always been. The team's just gotten deeper around him.
Well if you like the stat it's not as simple as that.

Bennett was creating personal chances, and overall chances, but his linemates weren't producing. A guy that can't produce at all with stiffs is likely to to better with better players, but it's not the same exactly.

But that aside ... nothing in expected goal stats suggests creativity. Just a total weighted look at shot attempts and scoring chances coming up with a model's answer of expectation.

A player could be a bull in a china shop that creates chances without being all that creative.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread