Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2023, 08:16 AM   #3941
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
are you stupid? this thread wasn't bumped for the entire regular season..
Or were you too busy flying around the US at your young age! lol

But thanks for posting the most absurd, ridiculous post in CP history for some laughs!
This thread wasn’t bumped in the season because people have finally surrendered that Bennett is a decent player. (Everyone except you)
That and he was injured all year.
I am loving the Benny and Chuckie show in the playoffs.
Old 05-23-2023, 08:51 AM   #3942
Bandwagon Surfer
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I find it funny that the the Flames and Oilers both have player development issues, but for opposite reasons.

Historically the Oilers have given their young players too long of a leash, gifted them spots on the top lines, did not correct bad habits, and did not give them enough veteran support. They end up with players that rack up individual points, but don't play a good team game, and are not strong in the less fun defensive aspects of the game.

Historically the Flames have given their young players too short of a leash, filled all open spots with veterans, and force them to play roles they are not suited for. Training camps seem to have a double standard where veterans get a pass, while young players get demoted for the slightest mistake. They end up with players that have no confidence, play like they are holding their stick too tight, and have lost the game.

Exceptional talent can break through this, but both teams lose a lot of the potential value of their mid tier prospects.
Bandwagon Surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bandwagon Surfer For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2023, 09:32 AM   #3943
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
Half of his line mates in Florida were linemates of his in Calgary. I think we probably had the right players.
Yeah, just looking at Florida's PP1 setup:

Montour
Barkov - Reinhart - Bennett
Tkachuk

There's no reason Calgary could not have tried

(Andersson?)
Gaudreau - Lindholm - Bennett
Tkachuk

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 09:37 AM   #3944
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI View Post
This thread wasn’t bumped in the season because people have finally surrendered that Bennett is a decent player. (Everyone except you)
That and he was injured all year.
I am loving the Benny and Chuckie show in the playoffs.
.... all year. he missed 18 games.

If he was a decent player in the regular season would it have taken Florida to game 81 to qualify for the playoffs? yeah no.

But playoff wise, he is back to his usual playoff Messier/Gretzky self. Max power!
Old 05-23-2023, 09:54 AM   #3945
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
.... all year. he missed 18 games.

If he was a decent player in the regular season would it have taken Florida to game 81 to qualify for the playoffs? yeah no.

But playoff wise, he is back to his usual playoff Messier/Gretzky self. Max power!
Yup 21G, 31A, 52pt pace. Not decent at all.
Old 05-23-2023, 09:58 AM   #3946
CFO
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Sam Bennett is not a 1st line player. He is an important physical 2nd liner. Important for teams but not to be overpaid.

He reminds me of a Michael peca type player
CFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 10:02 AM   #3947
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Bennett is a fine player.

Not a top 5 pick, top line franchise player

But a guy every team needs to win.

Treliving had a golden nugget on his hand and decided to go with scrubs instead
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flamesfan05 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2023, 10:07 AM   #3948
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan05 View Post

Assuming a top 5 pick can only be a top line franchise player is dumb. And why no one wants to play here.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 10:08 AM   #3949
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Assuming a top 5 pick can only be a top line franchise player is dumb. And why no one wants to play here.
Yup only moron would assume that

I didn’t. They are two different things

Did you?
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 10:18 AM   #3950
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan05 View Post

I agree, he's not a franchise player in the sense of a Jack Eichel or such, but I also think he gets underrated for things like his 200 foot game, especially by our fanbase who only got to see him play the wing, or drag around Lance Bouma / Troy Brouwer types when he did play centre

I think Bennett is closer to a lot of solid two-way 2nd-7th-ish pick centres - Jonathan Toews, Elias Lindholm, Sam Reinhart, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Jordan Staal, Kyle Turris, Brayden Schenn, Mika Zibanejad, Mark Scheifele, Pierre Luc-Dubois, Sean Couturier, etc than most here would admit. Only one of these guys was drafted 1st overall, and that was a weak draft where the best forwards were probably drafted 58th and 104th.

Yeah, it's easy to value offensive powerhouses like Draisaitl or such, and maybe Bennett isn't that for his team. But he's pretty much an average top five pick. That he can elevate hikself when games are more meaningful might even tip the scale in his favour relative to a guy like Lindholm who has been a non-factor in the playoffs

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 05-23-2023 at 10:20 AM.
Old 05-23-2023, 10:50 AM   #3951
AFireInside
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
I agree, he's not a franchise player in the sense of a Jack Eichel or such, but I also think he gets underrated for things like his 200 foot game, especially by our fanbase who only got to see him play the wing, or drag around Lance Bouma / Troy Brouwer types when he did play centre

I think Bennett is closer to a lot of solid two-way 2nd-7th-ish pick centres - Jonathan Toews, Elias Lindholm, Sam Reinhart, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Jordan Staal, Kyle Turris, Brayden Schenn, Mika Zibanejad, Mark Scheifele, Pierre Luc-Dubois, Sean Couturier, etc than most here would admit. Only one of these guys was drafted 1st overall, and that was a weak draft where the best forwards were probably drafted 58th and 104th.

Yeah, it's easy to value offensive powerhouses like Draisaitl or such, and maybe Bennett isn't that for his team. But he's pretty much an average top five pick. That he can elevate hikself when games are more meaningful might even tip the scale in his favour relative to a guy like Lindholm who has been a non-factor in the playoffs

He's nowhere near as good as those players. He's good in the playoffs, and he's a decent second line player. On a lot of teams he'd be on the third line.
AFireInside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 11:01 AM   #3952
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFireInside View Post
He's nowhere near as good as those players. He's good in the playoffs, and he's a decent second line player. On a lot of teams he'd be on the third line.
this is exactly why people push back

49 point career high vs. players that have scored 80-90-100+ lol

then you get called a hater
Old 05-23-2023, 11:02 AM   #3953
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:

Lol No.

Bennett is great at what he does, but he's a middle six centre with lots of jam. He's not an elite offensive producer. Even for Florida, he has 14 points in 24 playoff games, while getting top 6 minutes.

He's definitely the kind of player you need to win in the playoffs, but he's nowhere near a legit #1 centre. Where is this elite 2-way game coming from too? He's great at jamming the puck in around the net. He's not even playing a shut down role for Florida.

Toews has a Selke, a Conn Smythe, a Mark Messier Award, 2 olympic gold medals, etc... Just no. Not a chance Bennett would get chosen for an olympic team right now.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2023, 11:03 AM   #3954
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, just looking at Florida's PP1 setup:

Montour
Barkov - Reinhart - Bennett
Tkachuk

There's no reason Calgary could not have tried

(Andersson?)
Gaudreau - Lindholm - Bennett
Tkachuk
That's way I say they treated Bennett like an outcast. There is no way they would let him play with those players. People say he was given opportunities but it's pretty hard to have any confidence when you've been constantly jerked around. He said of himself that Florida let him play and didn't try to manage him.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 11:03 AM   #3955
drewtastic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Even the street signs in Penticton mock us Flames fans...never the twain shall meet...

(Spoilered for size.)

Spoiler!
drewtastic is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to drewtastic For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2023, 11:11 AM   #3956
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewtastic View Post
Even the street signs in Penticton mock us Flames fans...never the twain shall meet...

(Spoilered for size.)

Spoiler!
I don't know, too many red lights.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 11:20 AM   #3957
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewtastic View Post

(Spoilered for size.)

Spoiler!
If you get a ticket going through the red light at Bennett Ave, you don't have to pay because it will get called back.
Old 05-23-2023, 01:29 PM   #3958
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Lol No.

Bennett is great at what he does, but he's a middle six centre with lots of jam. He's not an elite offensive producer. Even for Florida, he has 14 points in 24 playoff games, while getting top 6 minutes.
He didn't get top 6 minutes under Brunette (rookie HC, not re-upped). He got top 6 minutes under Quennville (5 in 5) and Maurice (11 in 14). And you're conveniently omitting the 15pts in 19 games he had the three postseasons prior in CGY too, where he also didn't get top six minutes.

Quote:
He's definitely the kind of player you need to win in the playoffs, but he's nowhere near a legit #1 centre.
Who is the evaluator of "legit-ness"?

Quote:
Where is this elite 2-way game coming from too?
Actually watching his play in all three zones?

Quote:
He's great at jamming the puck in around the net. He's not even playing a shut down role for Florida.

Toews has a Selke, a Conn Smythe, a Mark Messier Award, 2 olympic gold medals, etc... Just no.
Funny, the year Toews won his Selke, HE was not even playing a shut down roll for Chicago, Marcus Kruger was. He was a solid centre, but he was as much a product of playing with Hossa, Saad, Kane, Keith, Seabrook as anyone.

I say this as someone who considers Toews a prototypical center - those other factors speak more to the opportunity Toews was afforded having been drafted by a bad team that put him in a #1 centre role. He was never a Crosby tier player, not even a Kopitar tier player. He was a really good two-way centre on some really good teams.

Quote:
You think ToewsNot a chance Bennett would get chosen for an olympic team right now.
Toews was on the 4th line of the 2010 olympic team on a line with Mike Richards. Mike Richards is probably the 1:1 closest player to Bennett ever. But Bennett would "not have a chance". It's only in people's revisionist history that Toews is some Yzerman tier superstar. He wouldn't be the #1C on a team with prime Barkov at any point in his career either.

Last edited by GranteedEV; 05-23-2023 at 01:36 PM.
Old 05-23-2023, 01:49 PM   #3959
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Towes was not some elite producer, but he was chosen for the Olympics partly because he was, rightly or wrongly, viewed as an elite two way forward right from his junior days, because he was a cup winner, because his name was said in the same breath as Kane.

Bennett would not make the Canadian Olympic team right now, as a centre for sure and I'd also say not as a winger.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 02:43 PM   #3960
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
He didn't get top 6 minutes under Brunette (rookie HC, not re-upped). He got top 6 minutes under Quennville (5 in 5) and Maurice (11 in 14). And you're conveniently omitting the 15pts in 19 games he had the three postseasons prior in CGY too, where he also didn't get top six minutes.

Who is the evaluator of "legit-ness"?

Actually watching his play in all three zones?

Funny, the year Toews won his Selke, HE was not even playing a shut down roll for Chicago, Marcus Kruger was. He was a solid centre, but he was as much a product of playing with Hossa, Saad, Kane, Keith, Seabrook as anyone.

I say this as someone who considers Toews a prototypical center - those other factors speak more to the opportunity Toews was afforded having been drafted by a bad team that put him in a #1 centre role. He was never a Crosby tier player, not even a Kopitar tier player. He was a really good two-way centre on some really good teams.

Toews was on the 4th line of the 2010 olympic team on a line with Mike Richards. Mike Richards is probably the 1:1 closest player to Bennett ever. But Bennett would "not have a chance". It's only in people's revisionist history that Toews is some Yzerman tier superstar. He wouldn't be the #1C on a team with prime Barkov at any point in his career either.
I really like Bennett.

I'm not going to get into an argument about whether he is on par with peak Toews, because, with all due respect, arguing that Bennett is on the level of peak Toews is complete nonsense.

I guarantee you that Sam Bennett is not getting Selke votes. Bennett can cause some takeaways by playing aggressively. He also create an equal amount of giveaways, by just being not that smart. Last year Florida gave him 73.7% offensive zone starts. And yes, I've watched many Florida playoff games this year. Tkachuk and Bennett are not spending that much time in their own zone. Neither are especially fast skaters, and the coach is letting them just do their thing in the offensive zone, which is probably the best way to play those two.

Even having amazing chemistry with Tkachuk, he's only on pace for 65 point this season, and you're comparing him to 100 point elite #1 centers.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote