Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: When will the ring road be completed?
1-3 years 8 3.85%
4-7 years 91 43.75%
7-10 years 65 31.25%
10-20 years 20 9.62%
Never 24 11.54%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-05-2020, 12:35 PM   #3881
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Actually I found the answer - you exit Stoney at Fish Creek Blvd interchange and it will take you west to 37 Street. Thx
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 12:37 PM   #3882
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
It sounds like you can no longer turn right northbound onto 37th Street from 22X?
Correct, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Actually I found the answer - you exit Stoney at Fish Creek Blvd interchange and it will take you west to 37 Street. Thx
Yes but 37 St is now a white elephant and you can't get to 22X, so you'll have to take 146 Ave west and use a gravelled 53 St to get to 22X, or detour east into the city and use McKevitt or Macleod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
Of the 4 sections, I love how the larger, most complex pieces are going to be done and open first (crossing wetlands at Weaselhead, numerous bridges, terraforming a steep hill @ COP, giant interchanges there as well)..... and yet the 2 sections that are just crossing fields are the last to open (37th to 22x, Hwy 8 to Old Banff). I know its all planned that way, but logically its the opposite of what you'd expect.
Yeah the whole thing is different because of the Tsuut'ina time constraint. The west leg is really only being split in half because of drama around the relocation of an Enmax power line, otherwise the entire ring would be done in 2022. So there is one more section split into a different timeline than originally planned.

The province was unsure they'd even have money to do the west leg when work started on the southwest.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 02:17 PM   #3883
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Would it not have been more sensical to throw more resources at the SW corner there to finish it to 22x and open at the same time, then to start the HWY 1/16th ave portion?
IIRC they used the earth removed in grading the hill near 16th ave for building other parts of the road (berm bridge in Weaslehead), so it made sense to get going there anyways.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 02:36 PM   #3884
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman View Post
Being a born and raised southern Calgarian, Westhills has always felt like driving to Golden, so not somewhere we typically ventured to. We decided to go check out the new road yesterday and I was genuinely blown away, not only from a quality standpoint, but from hopping on at Fish Creek Blvd we were at Westhills in like 5 minutes - in was actually quite shocking that it is that close when you can drive directly.

It really is going to be a game changer when the entire thing is done.

Same here. It was actually kinda mindblowing how quickly we could see Signal Hill up ahead.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Swift For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2020, 04:20 PM   #3885
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
IIRC they used the earth removed in grading the hill near 16th ave for building other parts of the road (berm bridge in Weaslehead), so it made sense to get going there anyways.
I don't think so? I may be wrong but I thought the trucks parallel to 101st street were always heading north loaded, not the other way.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 05:04 PM   #3886
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Looks like google maps has been updated to show the portion that is open now, no traffic data yet though (that I can see)
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 05:10 PM   #3887
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
Looks like google maps has been updated to show the portion that is open now, no traffic data yet though (that I can see)
It worked pretty good this morning, once I turned off of 22x . Before that it kept trying to get me on deerfoot or MacLeod.
keratosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 05:32 PM   #3888
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Google Maps is still not plotting the route correctly and maybe requires more travel data (which it gets from pinging Android phones) to estimate times. It's still doing some wonky things with the routing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Then it goes to 80 Km/h when it veers west and is 4 lanes! Just stupid.
To clarify, this is definitely just temporary as it's still a construction zone. The entire thing west of Sarcee will be 80 until work is done. Not sure if they're keeping it 80 till 2024 when the Highway 8 interchange is done which would be a bummer, but it will be 100 when all is said and done.
Old 10-05-2020, 07:08 PM   #3889
bob-loblaw
First Line Centre

Exp:

I live in the deep south, and we took it yesterday north from Fish Creek to Sarcee.

I have always hated the intersection at Richard Road and Sarcee, and out of all the intersections in the city, I can't believe the city hasn't built something there yet. I also can't believe they haven't done something at Bow Trail and Sarcee. There's absolutely no way I'd live anywhere there because of that.
bob-loblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 07:32 PM   #3890
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob-loblaw View Post
I live in the deep south, and we took it yesterday north from Fish Creek to Sarcee.

I have always hated the intersection at Richard Road and Sarcee, and out of all the intersections in the city, I can't believe the city hasn't built something there yet. I also can't believe they haven't done something at Bow Trail and Sarcee. There's absolutely no way I'd live anywhere there because of that.
Yeah I was always kind of surprised that the only work being done at Richard Road is adding another lane each way and tinkering with the light timings.

There was a study to do an interchange there but it didn't make it into the budget. In theory it's still shelved on the backburner to maybe get funded in 2023, although of course now the city is broke, so who knows
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 07:44 PM   #3891
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have to wait and see how well it does with the west leg in 2024. If we can not build it, it's better to not build it.
Old 10-05-2020, 07:48 PM   #3892
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob-loblaw View Post

The Bow Trail / Sarcee intersection is one of the worst for traffic. Sometimes you wait for 3 green arrows and still you can't make a left turn, even though all 4 corners have dual dedicated left-turn lanes. That's how congested it gets. But I suppose it will be forever before the city considers building an interchange.
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 07:56 PM   #3893
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bow and Sarcee is ridiculous. It has been completely redone, twice, since I have lived here. And both times, all they did was the exact same thing, only a little larger, resulting in the light sequence to take a little longer.

It is a terrible design, and should have been made into a cloverleaf 15 years ago.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2020, 07:58 PM   #3894
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I believe there was a study done a few years back on a interchange at Bow and Sarcee but it was decided to wait to see what happens with the ring road first. It didn't get nearly as far into the process as the proposed Richard Road interchange
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 07:59 PM   #3895
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cloverleafs are trash and nobody builds those anymore. Richmond Rd + Bow Trail interchanges + Sarcee widening is estimated at $250 million. Nope.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2020, 08:03 PM   #3896
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
Cloverleafs are trash and nobody builds those anymore. Richmond Rd + Bow Trail interchanges + Sarcee widening is estimated at $250 million. Nope.
As opposed to lights? Where people stop and go in winter traffic, creating ice and accidents?

What is there now is not better than a cloverleaf (or whatever the current version of cloverleaf is that cities do now)
Old 10-05-2020, 08:04 PM   #3897
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yep. Just clarifying that the interchange to be built would not and will not be a cloverleaf.
Old 10-05-2020, 08:08 PM   #3898
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
As opposed to lights? Where people stop and go in winter traffic, creating ice and accidents?

What is there now is not better than a cloverleaf (or whatever the current version of cloverleaf is that cities do now)
Richmond Sarcee might be a good candidate for a divergent diamond. High turning volumes in both directions and I think more limited through traffic.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 08:10 PM   #3899
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks Acey for providing updates on these projects. I accidentally ended up on a page from this thread from 7 years ago and you were posting very knowledgeable accurate information on these projects. So thanks for the last 7 years and maybe longer of posting.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 08:11 PM   #3900
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
Yep. Just clarifying that the interchange to be built would not and will not be a cloverleaf.
Okay, what would it be?

(btw, I really appreciate all the info you bring to this thread)