Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2024, 03:02 PM   #3881
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
I mentioned this before but it doesn't make a whole lot of sense that a military/exploration vessel would have so many anxiety ridden, command questioning and mentally unstable crew members. I get that it's supposed to make them more interesting characters but it makes me question the hiring practices of the Federation.

On TNG you believed any one of the main cast members could take over command of the ship if they had to. Some less successfully than others but if I were an ensign I wouldn't worry as much as I would if Tilly suddenly sat in the chair. Even Troi had her chance and did a fine job.

I guess it helped that they built each character up over many seasons so we knew that, while they had flaws, they were all capable officers.
Oh! I completely agree!

Crusher took over once and flew into a Sun and that turned out okay.

Its like...in a way, it reminds me of 'Foundation.' Not the TV show, the books.

Because Seldon felt that the minor degradations of standards were clues to the fall of society.

I dont know Tilley. But I'll tell you what. If they do a 'Tilley has to work on a Klingon ship for a week episode' I would watch that. Especially if its directed by Frakes.

"Hi Klingons...where is Tilley?"

Nothing. But. Shoulders.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 11:16 AM   #3882
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
Icheb
RIP lol
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 11:20 AM   #3883
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
RIP lol
Considering Icheb in Picard I have to say, I'm always up for a little Star Trek Spite.

If I was an actor and they wanted to brutally murder my character just for lulz or spite? I'd be there for that.

"Lets do this!"

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 05-07-2024, 09:04 AM   #3884
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2024, 11:11 AM   #3885
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

no hopes, no personality, no point

I get the feeling that a wide portion of youth feel like they're currently drones in the collective. Worrisome!
Old 05-07-2024, 01:21 PM   #3886
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
I mentioned this before but it doesn't make a whole lot of sense that a military/exploration vessel would have so many anxiety ridden, command questioning and mentally unstable crew members. I get that it's supposed to make them more interesting characters but it makes me question the hiring practices of the Federation.

On TNG you believed any one of the main cast members could take over command of the ship if they had to. Some less successfully than others but if I were an ensign I wouldn't worry as much as I would if Tilly suddenly sat in the chair. Even Troi had her chance and did a fine job.

I guess it helped that they built each character up over many seasons so we knew that, while they had flaws, they were all capable officers.

Spoiler!
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2024, 03:41 PM   #3887
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
no hopes, no personality, no point

I get the feeling that a wide portion of youth feel like they're currently drones in the collective. Worrisome!
I dunno man...lately I think the Borg might have been on to something.

I envision myself as Andy Dufresne on a Borg Cube doing Taxes...

"So they made you pay for that implant? Thats a deduction, you can write that off!"

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2024, 08:31 AM   #3888
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Didn't you watch the lower decks borg gag? the lower decks on the cube are just batteries. Maybeeeee borg accountants have higher station than accountants in our society though?
Old 05-08-2024, 08:39 AM   #3889
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had a random shower thought today.

Is the federation a pseudo military dictatorship, run by Starfleet?

1. Starfleet and the Federation are separate entities.
2. Starfleet's command structure reports in some way to the federation council, but not directly. It's more like a single employee situation.
3. Starfleet holds the monopoly on force within federation space (and potentially within the entire alpha quadrant post dominion war.)
4. Starfleet enforces all regulations on behalf of the federation, and mediates disputes between member worlds or worlds seeking membership. Often, they do these using Starfleet regulations or codes rather than laws passed by a federation council.
5. Starfleet controls all foreign relations for the federation. There are federation ambassadors, but they are supported by the starfleet diplomatic core and are shown to by and large be sycophantic or airheaded upper class folk from member worlds. The real work gets done by starfleet, often not even diplomatic core members but by ship crew.
6. It was trivially easy for starfleet to depose the federation council on a single world before the dominion war under Leyton, and thereby take military control of the whole federation.
7. Starfleet admirals largely broker peace deals during war time with opposing bodies (Khitomer, Dominion)
8. Foreign powers seem to value starfleet admirals and starfleet command over the federation presidency. (Gowron notably)
9. Starfleet command seems to have power to assign ambassadors to planets (worf)

What does the federation council do?
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2024, 08:42 AM   #3890
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh and one more point, they're relentlessly and aggressively expansionist, with an insidious and lavacious culture, steadfast in their moral supremacy.
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2024, 08:54 AM   #3891
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Leyton tried to have a coup to make it a Junta. As it is it's not very different from any other military reporting to an elected body. Just that starfleet is a like a catch all for a lot of things.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 09:03 AM   #3892
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

But it's not just for a lot of things, it's a catch all for pretty much everything to do with interstellar relations and force. That means it is the only real functional organ of the federation council. And since most of Starfleet reports into a self selected chain of command with only a tenuous link at top to the elected council...

I don't know, doesn't seem like much of a democracy to me. Add to this the perceived difficulty in joining starfleet at all and the Federation presents as a sort of philosopher-king model of governance.
Old 05-08-2024, 09:05 AM   #3893
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Oh and one more point, they're relentlessly and aggressively expansionist, with an insidious and lavacious culture, steadfast in their moral supremacy.
Starting to sound more like a religion. Planets are like "nooo, the damn Federation is back. Sally, don't answer the door this time, they really like to moralize on us!"
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2024, 09:13 AM   #3894
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
But it's not just for a lot of things, it's a catch all for pretty much everything to do with interstellar relations and force. That means it is the only real functional organ of the federation council. And since most of Starfleet reports into a self selected chain of command with only a tenuous link at top to the elected council...

I don't know, doesn't seem like much of a democracy to me. Add to this the perceived difficulty in joining starfleet at all and the Federation presents as a sort of philosopher-king model of governance.
They're the only organ that we see. But yeah, it's a limitation of all the shows choosing to echo that element from TOS all though out.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 11:27 AM   #3895
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Starting to sound more like a religion. Planets are like "nooo, the damn Federation is back. Sally, don't answer the door this time, they really like to moralize on us!"
"Excuse me sir, do you have a moment to talk about the Federation?"
Old 05-08-2024, 11:29 AM   #3896
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I gave Discovery 3 honest tries and I just couldnt get into it.

Its like they thought swinging for the fences was their only choice so they had to have a magic propulsion drive on a ship Captained by Jesus with Klingons being turned into humans and....it just got progressively dumber and dumber.

There are so many things wrong with it but ultimately? Its just not Star Trek.

Its just not Star Trek in anything but name and tangential relation.
I hate Disco with a passion.

Every character is flawed, except for Burnham.

And not just flawed. They're very flawed. They're all basically losers in some horrible way.

And only she can save them.

Screw Disco.
Old 05-08-2024, 11:35 AM   #3897
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2024, 12:06 PM   #3898
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
I hate Disco with a passion.

Every character is flawed, except for Burnham.

And not just flawed. They're very flawed. They're all basically losers in some horrible way.

And only she can save them.

Screw Disco.

LOL I still have last weeks episode on my PVR, Frankly I read the story line "Michael and Tilly go undercover". And I literally said, I don't know if I can watch a Tilly centric episode, especially with her undercover.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 12:23 PM   #3899
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
LOL I still have last weeks episode on my PVR, Frankly I read the story line "Michael and Tilly go undercover". And I literally said, I don't know if I can watch a Tilly centric episode, especially with her undercover.
Does she put on those glasses with the fake nose and moustache but otherwise just stay in her Starfleet Uniform?

Old 05-08-2024, 12:24 PM   #3900
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I had a random shower thought today.

Is the federation a pseudo military dictatorship, run by Starfleet?

1. Starfleet and the Federation are separate entities.
2. Starfleet's command structure reports in some way to the federation council, but not directly. It's more like a single employee situation.
3. Starfleet holds the monopoly on force within federation space (and potentially within the entire alpha quadrant post dominion war.)
4. Starfleet enforces all regulations on behalf of the federation, and mediates disputes between member worlds or worlds seeking membership. Often, they do these using Starfleet regulations or codes rather than laws passed by a federation council.
5. Starfleet controls all foreign relations for the federation. There are federation ambassadors, but they are supported by the starfleet diplomatic core and are shown to by and large be sycophantic or airheaded upper class folk from member worlds. The real work gets done by starfleet, often not even diplomatic core members but by ship crew.
6. It was trivially easy for starfleet to depose the federation council on a single world before the dominion war under Leyton, and thereby take military control of the whole federation.
7. Starfleet admirals largely broker peace deals during war time with opposing bodies (Khitomer, Dominion)
8. Foreign powers seem to value starfleet admirals and starfleet command over the federation presidency. (Gowron notably)
9. Starfleet command seems to have power to assign ambassadors to planets (worf)

What does the federation council do?
I find your thoughts on this matter intriguing and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Have you any pamphlets or other literature outlining your positions?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post: