Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2024, 01:29 PM   #3841
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
Aren't these awful works going on downtown all for the Green Line? The road "repairs" they do after are driving me mad.
The kind of work that they are doing means that they have to repeatedly tear out the same place, then patch for traffic again, etc.

This generally means temporary patches that aren't great, then when ALL the work is done, they go back and redo the whole area more permanently.
Old 05-10-2024, 01:35 PM   #3842
sleepingmoose
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonmaster View Post
Does anyone know how they count ridership? If it's solely based on ticket sales, how do they count monthly pass holders or the un-paid riders? Does transit run a counting algorithm off video feeds?
All newer trains have automatic passenger counters at each door. But Transit also still has data collectors to do counts until all the trains have that technology.
sleepingmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 10:37 AM   #3843
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

If train ridership has recovered to pre-pandemic levels, why are there only 3-car trains on the red line still? Is increased frequency the trade off?

I don't ride the train often, so I'm not sure if things are bursting at the seams during rush hour. 4-car trains seemed like a necessity before Covid, and if ridership has fully recovered, maybe something else has changed like time of day, trip length, etc. that has made 3-car trains "good enough" for now.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2024, 10:46 AM   #3844
Flacker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
If train ridership has recovered to pre-pandemic levels, why are there only 3-car trains on the red line still? Is increased frequency the trade off?

I don't ride the train often, so I'm not sure if things are bursting at the seams during rush hour. 4-car trains seemed like a necessity before Covid, and if ridership has fully recovered, maybe something else has changed like time of day, trip length, etc. that has made 3-car trains "good enough" for now.
It is the working going on at the storage barns that has required them to run 3-car trains on the Red line. It isn't going to be completed until early 2025. See the last paragraph at this link:
https://www.calgarytransit.com/plans...Expansion.html
Flacker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flacker For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2024, 10:53 AM   #3845
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacker View Post
It is the working going on at the storage barns that has required them to run 3-car trains on the Red line. It isn't going to be completed until early 2025. See the last paragraph at this link:
Interesting - thank you for the info. That makes sense. I could've sworn that they were rolling 4-car trains post-Covid for a while, so it wasn't just my imagination.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 10:59 AM   #3846
The Fisher Account
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Yes thanks. To be fair to CT, I have noticed more frequent Red Line trains which does help.
The Fisher Account is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Fisher Account For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2024, 11:51 AM   #3847
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Part of me would rather just have more frequent 3-car trains than less frequent 4-car trains. Don't know how viable that is in the long term though.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 12:25 PM   #3848
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

That only makes sense. For the rider seeing four of the 3 car trains per hour instead of three of the 4 car trains means less wait time. (Yes, there should be more per hour but keeping the math simple.) However that also means hiring 33% more drivers.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
c-train , calgary transit , information , lrt , renderings