Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2021, 02:37 PM   #3801
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good lord, Charles Dance is epic casting.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 07:16 PM   #3802
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Back to Batman...

Over te last three days I've watched Begins, Dark Knight and DKR.

Batman Begins: I love this movie. I recall seeing it a half dozen or so times at the theatre in Lethbridge when I was in Uni. One of the things I noticed watching BB along with a dozen other Batmans the last month, is it highlights Batman’s compassion - a trait often overlooked on film.

Dark Knight: Truly, what a film. I forgot how goddamn gripping it is, I'm sure I didn't take my focus of the TV for a second. It's so, utterly impressive how Nolan stick handles the story and tone of this movie while continually building up the suspense.

Dark Knight Rises. I'd only seen this perhaps twice, and not for many, many years. It capped off the trilogy nicely and was enjoyable, but I think it just didn't--couldn't--live up to its own expectations. Additionally, many familiar with Batman saw the plot twist(s) coming a mile away, unlike the Dark Knight where nobody knew.

Compassion, Fear, Hope: The Nolan trilogy

So now that i've watched all the live ones:

Batman 8.5/10
Batman Returns 8/10
Forever 2/10
Batman & Robin 2.5/10
Begins 8.5/10
Dark Knight 10/10
Dark Knight Rises 7/10
Batman vs Superman 4/10
*Bonus* Mask of the Phantasm: 8/10
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sr. Mints For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2021, 07:33 PM   #3803
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Batman 8/10
Batman Returns 6.5/10
Forever 4/10
Batman & Robin 2.5/10
Begins 8.5/10
Dark Knight 7/10
Dark Knight Rises 5/10
Batman vs Superman 4/10
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 10:51 PM   #3804
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Batman 8/10
Batman Returns 6.5/10
Forever 4/10
Batman & Robin 2.5/10
Begins 8.5/10
Dark Knight 7/10
Dark Knight Rises 5/10
Batman vs Superman 4/10
I'd say this is a pretty fair and accurate list, except for the last one, it's at least as bad as B&R

Batman vs Superman 2.5/10
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 10:04 AM   #3805
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

For me I'd have to go:

Batman 7/10
Batman Returns 8.5/10
Batman Forever 6.5/10
Batman and Robin 7.5/10
Catwoman 2.5/10
Batman Begins 9/10
The Dark Knight 10/10
The Dark Knight Rises 10/10
Batman v Superman 9.5/10
Suicide Squad 6/10
Joker 9/10
Zack Snyder JL 10/10

Last edited by Nadal Fan; 09-28-2021 at 10:10 AM.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 03:29 PM   #3806
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Green Lantern 11/10
Old 09-28-2021, 03:32 PM   #3807
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Green Lantern 11/10
Even the most jaded and ludicrous of fans would not make that claim.

Even NadalFan couldnt defend that rating.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 04:58 PM   #3808
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Green Lantern should have been this awesome space opera trilogy that concluded with Hal facing off against Sinestro and the yellow lanterns. Ryan Reynolds Green Lantern should have been the first movie in the DC connected universe with Man of Steel next, and we could have seen the two side by side along with Ben Affleck and Gal Gadot . Just a wasted opportunity that I don't know if we will ever get a chance to see properly on the big screen again.
Old 09-29-2021, 04:39 PM   #3809
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

I'm actually quite excited for the Green Lantern tv series. The most interesting part of the GL concept was always the GL Corps. GL Corps stories are just more episodic and would work much better in a tv show than a movie. Even the Sinestro arc, would be much better in a tv show, where you can slowly build his turn over the course of a season or two.

A major problem with the movie was they had one foot in and one foot out the door with the galactic corps story line and the down to earth Hal Jordan storyline.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2021, 04:41 PM   #3810
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
Dark Knight Rises. I'd only seen this perhaps twice, and not for many, many years. It capped off the trilogy nicely and was enjoyable, but I think it just didn't--couldn't--live up to its own expectations. Additionally, many familiar with Batman saw the plot twist(s) coming a mile away, unlike the Dark Knight where nobody knew.
What plot twist are you talking about in The Dark Knight? That Dent becomes Two Face? Rachel's fate? Batman becoming the fugitive? (common superhero trope even back to the Spider-Man cartoon) I don't remember anything in that film that really seemed like a twist.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 04:49 PM   #3811
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

The awful twist that Talia Al Ghul was the kid that escaped the prison and Bane works for her.

TDKR truly is an abomination. It’s not campy or low budget but for story and plot it’s easily the worst of all Batman movies.

It also completely shreds any dignity and understanding Nolan had for the Batman character. Fights 2 bad guys, retires for 8 years, lets the city get destroyed, nukes the whales and retires to France. What a coward they made Bruce Wayne. Yuck.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 09-29-2021 at 04:51 PM.
Old 09-29-2021, 05:32 PM   #3812
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

TDKR seemed like they were really going for a Frank Miller vibe, but the problem was that doesn't really vibe with the realistic approach they took to the first two movies. Frank Miller's work generally, imo, doesn't translate great to live action, unless it's pure style like Sin City and 300 and/or there's a significant amount of parody. The first two movies in the Nolan trilogy just had an entirely different tone than the last one.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 01:46 AM   #3813
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
What plot twist are you talking about in The Dark Knight? That Dent becomes Two Face? Rachel's fate? Batman becoming the fugitive? (common superhero trope even back to the Spider-Man cartoon) I don't remember anything in that film that really seemed like a twist.
You got me there. I meant nobody knew what was going to happen next in the dark knight
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 09:03 PM   #3814
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Venom 2 was really good and the end credit scene was just <chefs kiss>
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stang For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2021, 12:00 AM   #3815
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just got out of Venom 2, and I have to say I enjoy it. Rachets up the sillyness of the first one to 11, and it works. Very fast paced film so you don't get a lot of back story of Carnage but they do a good job giving you enough information. Plus if you played Maximum Carnage on SNES you already know everything about Carnage you need. Avoid spoilers of the after credit scene, it's going to be discussed alot tomorrow so be warned.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2021, 08:24 AM   #3816
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Damn I forgot about Maximum Carnage, such a good game.

Serkis said he pushed the pace/kept the run time short on purpose to match the presence of the characters themselves. Sounds like it worked out well.

Dang I wasn't planning to go to the theatre for this one but now I might have to.. I haven't been to a theatre since Endgame. Not really because of COVID but mostly because I have just gotten so used to watching these movies in my living room with my own snacks, pause for pee breaks and lack of mouth breathers.
Old 10-01-2021, 09:39 AM   #3817
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Just to add guys, go internet dark until you see this end credits scene. Already had a major news outlet ruin it with the title of an article, lol.

I know.. me of all people deserve that, but I want to try and help the rest of you. I would completely stay off social media.
Old 10-01-2021, 09:45 AM   #3818
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

I did the only sensible thing and just ruined it for myself. Frankly, I'm not surprised. By the spoiler, I mean. I am a little surprised that I spoiled it for myself so quickly. Usually I prefer to avoid spoilers at all costs.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2021, 09:49 AM   #3819
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Spoiling yourself for the end credits means there's no need to go to the theater, so that's a win win IMO.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2021, 10:25 AM   #3820
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

This is a good point actually... now I can just wait and it’s still pretty exciting regardless. Thank you sirs for making me feel better.