Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 10:55 PM   #3801
meritmat
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwkayaker View Post
A BIGGER gun would be a fitting American policy. How about making an effort to remove guns and easy access to guns?

The school where this shooting took place is a huge area with many buildings. How many armed guards and bigger guns are needed?

After Sandy Hook, the authorities were talking about putting AR-15s in school offices. That was a desperate response to a national problem. Schools have such dynamic environments that I don’t know how you completely control access to the building. Given the number of windows and doors (all required for fire safety) there are so many access points. If two kids were coordinating their efforts, it would be simple for one kid to go to class, ask to use the washroom at a specified time, and open a door for his buddy with the weapons. Unless fences are built around schools, similar to prisons, to ensure a single access point you will always have weaknesses.

Somebody asked earlier if teachers would avoid teaching in American schools due to safety concerns. I am a teacher and I wouldn’t teach in that environment even though the odds of it happening at my school would be slim. I was also a principal for years. The thought of having a gun in my office so that I could deal with intruders is just so foreign.

I can’t imagine what these teachers and students are experiencing. While I was a principal, I had 3 incidents where an individual walked by the school with a rifle (these were all on reserves). At the time, there were individuals with mental illness living beside the school. One of the events happened while the kids were outside on recess. Another event involved the police who failed to notify me that they were doing a drug bust at a trailer about 200 feet away. During one incident, a student noticed my concern and told me the guy walking by was her dad and he wouldn’t do anything—he was only the local drug dealer. All of these incidents were uneventful but it is a sickening feeling.

yes yes I agree, but were at a worst case scenario. We have an active shooter and face it, I would say one with mental issues. The target has to be neutralized. Would an armed teacher help? Maybe but that's asking a lot of somebody whos trained to educate people. Security guard? maybe but we all know that costs money. No easy answers
Old 02-14-2018, 11:01 PM   #3802
missdpuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah and the armed guard or teacher would probably have to be near sniper level or risk even more problems.

It’s just so so sad.

Well happy Valentines and good night.

Here’s to something a bit more pleasant tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-14-2018, 11:09 PM   #3803
wwkayaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by meritmat View Post
yes yes I agree, but were at a worst case scenario. We have an active shooter and face it, I would say one with mental issues. The target has to be neutralized. Would an armed teacher help? Maybe but that's asking a lot of somebody whos trained to educate people. Security guard? maybe but we all know that costs money. No easy answers
An armed teacher wouldn’t be an option in my experience. The majority of the teachers I worked with don’t have the personality/disposition to use a gun to neutralize a shooter. It’s just not who they are. I owned guns and shot regularly; as a principal I would have been willing to neutralize a shooter to save kids. But it comes back to dynamics. I certainly wouldn’t have a gun on me all day. If the firearm was in the office, that would be useful about 25% of the day for me. While the kids were in class, I was making my rounds and interacting. Typically, I was in my office sporadically throughout the day but mostly when the kids were not at school yet in the morning or after they had gone home. Guards would be the answer but that makes for a very unfriendly teaching environment. Obviously if my choices were guards vs deaths, I’m taking guards.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:14 PM   #3804
meritmat
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

yup, were very lucky to live in a country were its not a big problem. And thank you for your service, I might have been one of those bratty kids you taught
The Following User Says Thank You to meritmat For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2018, 01:17 AM   #3805
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is nothing you can do to protect people in the US from guns in any way shape or form short of limiting access to guns or making everyone wear a full Kevlar body suit.

A guard in a every school would cost billions and would just be the first person that got shot, staff with guns are untrained, unlikely to be in the right place in time and would just get shot by the police when they arrived, and there's no rule that says your armed teacher doesn't get fed up of the little punks lipping him off either, if you did miraculously make the building safe then the shooter's just going to wait till recess and take out the playground.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:34 AM   #3806
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theinfinitejar View Post
AR-15s aren't even banned in Canada, there's no way it's ever happening in the States.

The difference is here you have to go through a lot more hoops and background checks to get one.
You're leaving out the part where an AR-15 in Canada is restrictive to a 5 round mag as opposed to up to 100 round mags in the U.S.

To get an idea of what a large capacity mag on an AR-15 can do watch below.

Old 02-15-2018, 01:41 AM   #3807
theinfinitejar
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
You're leaving out the part where an AR-15 in Canada is restrictive to a 5 round mag as opposed to up to 100 round mags in the U.S.

To get an idea of what a large capacity mag on an AR-15 can do watch below.

Kind of, but there are 10 round mags available due to the way the law is written.

Into the Sun.
Old 02-15-2018, 04:15 AM   #3808
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Its always sobering to see these charts.

Spoiler!
Old 02-15-2018, 06:20 AM   #3809
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Listening to some of these kids being interviewed on CNN, man, they are very eloquent. Extremely bright. Well organized thoughts and able to answer reporter’s questions quickly and able to elaborate on their initial responses. Some seem so grown up. As a dad I’m really impressed with these young people.
Old 02-15-2018, 06:32 AM   #3810
missdpuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
oh really?

that's really cool... i remember reading a great story on Richard Sherman's dad who stayed humble too... i believe he worked for the sanitation department in SF, and he was still there even after Sherman hit it big....

i like those stories where the parents do so much for their kids and don't expect anything out of it...

Another fun thing to see is Anquan Boldin weedeating his yard.

He is sooooo polite and remembers where he came from.

In fact, most of the guys I’ve met from Pahokee are so polite it’s unreal.

Go Muck City!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-15-2018, 06:34 AM   #3811
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

What a ****ty world we live in where we're talking about teachers packing heat.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2018, 06:37 AM   #3812
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Another thing I’ve been thinking about. What about having a group of law enforcement officials and mental health professionals that creep social media looking for these kind of posts like the shooter had posted. In many cases there are signs and hints online of what these kids are up to. Most are dealing with depression, many have photos with their weapons posted online. If the guns aren’t going away then maybe we need to have a group of professionals dedicated solely to looking for, tracking and eventually making contact with people that fit these sorts of profiles. I’m sure it would be an enormous task but it would be something, right? I think some of these shooters could be reached if officials were organized and actively looking for these kinds of things online.

I don’t know, maybe that’s an impossible thing. The internet is a big place.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2018, 06:54 AM   #3813
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Another thing I’ve been thinking about. What about having a group of law enforcement officials and mental health professionals that creep social media looking for these kind of posts like the shooter had posted. In many cases there are signs and hints online of what these kids are up to. Most are dealing with depression, many have photos with their weapons posted online. If the guns aren’t going away then maybe we need to have a group of professionals dedicated solely to looking for, tracking and eventually making contact with people that fit these sorts of profiles. I’m sure it would be an enormous task but it would be something, right? I think some of these shooters could be reached if officials were organized and actively looking for these kinds of things online.

It's not even that hard. Just listen to people like this guy's math teacher when they report issues with people. Everyone knew this kid was nuts. They wouldn't even let him carry a backpack on campus. They expelled him. Every single time this happens it's the same thing. No one is surprised. Ever. The real trick is getting someone into treatment against their will. Never going to happen in the land of the free.

I just read that the FBI was even notified of his creepy social media posts. They knew everything about this guy but there's not much you can do. You could probably slap him on the wrist for making threats and just piss him off even more.

Last edited by OMG!WTF!; 02-15-2018 at 07:11 AM.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:04 AM   #3814
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

The people who were taking care of him, must have known he had some mental health issues? Why would they allow him to have a gun like that? Sure they made him "lock it up", but he was allowed to keep the key!! WTF.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:35 AM   #3815
HockeyIlliterate
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
How have no republican leaders or Congress members not been attacked, murdered, etc. over this?? I just can't understand this inaction!
Don't forget that Congressman Steve Scalise voted to repeal the rule that restricted gun sales to the mentally ill, only to later be shot by a mentally ill person.

And what did Congress do in response?

Not a damn thing.

Clearly, the Republicans in Congress only care about four things: Guns, God, Money, and Military. And they are doing their best to ensure that at least one of those things bankrupts or kills us all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Aren't the NRA's actions in buying government inaction an inherent declaration of war on Americans themselves????
And on this point, look at the Mueller investigation and follow the (Russian) money: rumor is that the Russians funneled money through the NRA to support Trump and the Republicans.

So in this respect, it isn't t just the NRA that is declaring "war" on Americans, but possibly Russians as well.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:41 AM   #3816
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd love to see the next Dem President label the NRA a terrorist organization, even just as a token measure. It's amazing that such a small group (4 million members) can exert total control of political will on such a preventable issue.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:45 AM   #3817
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by meritmat View Post
yup, were very lucky to live in a country were its not a big problem. And thank you for your service, I might have been one of those bratty kids you taught
lol, we're thanking principals for their service now? It's not a volunteer gig - they make $130k/year in Calgary and only work nine months a year.

These shootings in the USA are so exhausting. Like religious people and Trumpsters, when people don't care about facts there's nothing you can do to change their minds.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:49 AM   #3818
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post

I don't know. So we should all of a sudden take away every citizen's right to privacy and limit freedom of speech, which are basic human rights in any advanced nation, all for some twisted understanding of the second amendment? "Throw the weirdos in jail, but don't take away my god given right to own a gun!"

The second amendment isn't even grammatically correct for ####s sakes. Just eliminate that portion of the US constitution, ban firearms and live a normal life like everyone else in the first world.

Last edited by _Q_; 02-15-2018 at 07:55 AM.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:00 AM   #3819
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

This David Jolly guy, former Republican lawmaker was on CNN last night and today, and has very realistic take on Republicans and guns.

Also like how CNN is calling out FL. gov Scott and Cruz etc.

Scott basically said the exact same thing last night as he did after Pulse night club shooting, like reading from a script, "learn from the shootings and fix the problems", which is bs.

Here he is last night

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/964010097172189184

Last edited by DuffMan; 02-15-2018 at 09:09 AM.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:03 AM   #3820
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Speaker Ryan in radio intv on Parkland, FL shooting: "it’s just a horrific, horrific, horrible shooting. I think we need to pray, and our hearts go out to these victims. And I think, as public policymakers, we don’t just knee-jerk before we even have all the facts and the data"
They don't have enough data yet?

Ryan is another that needs to leave politics asap. Just spineless.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread