Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2021, 03:29 PM   #3781
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Spending a minute or two raking a bunker does not slow down pace. Pace is dictated by the rate at which people move, being ready to hit when its your turn, playing from the appropriate tee boxes, knowing where your ball is (people tend to look 50- 80 yards beyond where they hit) and not looking for your stupid ball forever.

As for the Mulligan men, re loaders and cheaters, if this is something that bothers you I would suggest starting to look for new partners. I use to be one of these guys but grew out of it. Nobody wants to say they shot 108, but if that's your score, that's your score. The only way you will see any improvement is to count everything all the time. I shot hi 95- 105 for several years even I was a much improved golfer over that time. I just started to count my score honestly and couldn't see any improvement, yah cause I cheated all that time to try to keep it under 100.
Old 04-08-2021, 03:34 PM   #3782
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
Spending a minute or two raking a bunker does not slow down pace. Pace is dictated by the rate at which people move, being ready to hit when its your turn, playing from the appropriate tee boxes, knowing where your ball is (people tend to look 50- 80 yards beyond where they hit) and not looking for your stupid ball forever.

As for the Mulligan men, re loaders and cheaters, if this is something that bothers you I would suggest starting to look for new partners. I use to be one of these guys but grew out of it. Nobody wants to say they shot 108, but if that's your score, that's your score. The only way you will see any improvement is to count everything all the time. I shot hi 95- 105 for several years even I was a much improved golfer over that time. I just started to count my score honestly and couldn't see any improvement, yah cause I cheated all that time to try to keep it under 100.
Yah people are slow because they wait for everyone to hit instead of just playing and playing the wrong tees and looking for balls for too long. That alone accounts for 98% of slow play.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2021, 03:43 PM   #3783
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Yah people are slow because they wait for everyone to hit instead of just playing and playing the wrong tees and looking for balls for too long. That alone accounts for 98% of slow play.
Hacks like myself "playing the tips" is entirely ridiculous on most courses. And really does it matter whose got honors? Waiting for the fairway to clear so the low handicapper who hits 280 can lead off is just stupid while the 150- 200 yd hitters all could've tee'd off in that time. Not a big deal if the pace is slow, but if you're the ones holding up the course, get friggin playing.

Last edited by Derek Sutton; 04-08-2021 at 03:47 PM.
Derek Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 03:50 PM   #3784
Ragnar
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

There's nothing worse than a guy/gal with a full minute pre-shot routine only to duff it 20 yards.
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ragnar For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2021, 04:38 PM   #3785
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
There's really no single thing that's the golden bullet. But it's one of those little things that adds up after a while.
I got in a fight with Dion a couple years ago arguing this exact point. The essence of the argument was putting you driver in the bag instead of hanging on to it driving to your second shot. 30 seconds on 14ish tee shots is 7 minutes per 18 holes for that activity alone.

It all adds up.

Golf isn't a race, I freely admit it. But there are lots of things you can do to hurry the F up. Sub 4 hour rounds should be normal, not the exception.
Old 04-08-2021, 04:40 PM   #3786
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
I got in a fight with Dion a couple years ago arguing this exact point. The essence of the argument was putting you driver in the bag instead of hanging on to it driving to your second shot. 30 seconds on 14ish tee shots is 7 minutes per 18 holes for that activity alone.

It all adds up.

Golf isn't a race, I freely admit it. But there are lots of things you can do to hurry the F up. Sub 4 hour rounds should be normal, not the exception.
And that’s the problem here in Calgary. Your basically lucky to get in a 4 hour round these days.
Old 04-08-2021, 09:47 PM   #3787
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post

It all adds up.

To argue your point, myself and my buddies regularly play a round on average of 3 1/2 hours if nobody is holding us up. If you keep your balls out of trouble and play ready golf, that in itself should speed up the pace of play.

That said I do see your point and it is a valid one.

Looking for lost balls is IMO the biggest reason for slowdowns on a course. Too many golfers think they are married to their golf balls.
Old 04-08-2021, 09:51 PM   #3788
Leondros
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
To argue your point, myself and my buddies regularly play a round on average of 3 1/2 hours if nobody is holding us up. If you keep your balls out of trouble and play ready golf, that in itself should speed up the pace of play.

That said I do see your point and it is a valid one.

Looking for lost balls is IMO the biggest reason for slowdowns on a course. Too many golfers think they are married to their golf balls.
What about my $6 pro v1s? If I didn’t look for them I would be out $70 a round minimum!
Leondros is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Leondros For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2021, 11:14 PM   #3789
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leondros View Post
What about my $6 pro v1s? If I didn’t look for them I would be out $70 a round minimum!
Don't worry about them.
I always find them while looking for my miss hit noodles. They go to a good home .
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2021, 09:06 AM   #3790
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Looking for lost balls definitely slow things down, but I think the biggest culprit is very few people play ready golf and seem to live and die by the idea that the furthest person away from the hole must shoot first. If you are at your ball and can hit safely, then what the heck are you doing waiting around?

I think this is most apparent with approach shots. If you get up to your ball and other are still looking / walking / getting ready, then just hit your shot. Guys on opposite sides of the fairway could hit their approaches as essentially the same time.

The green is the next biggest time suck on this. If you are all on the green and arrive there at the same time, then play furthest from the hole first. But people often arrive at slightly different times and are spread out quite a bit. If you can go while others are getting to their ball and getting ready, then just go.

Next round think about how much time you are standing at your ball and you are ready to go, but are waiting for someone else to get ready.
Old 04-09-2021, 09:54 AM   #3791
Leondros
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
Don't worry about them.
I always find them while looking for my miss hit noodles. They go to a good home .
I love playing at the fancy courses as there is typically a 20 - 40% chance I find a virtually brand new tp5 or Pro V.
Leondros is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Leondros For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2021, 10:12 AM   #3792
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

I was wondering if AB later adopts the draconian stay at home order akin to the Ontario one, what would it mean for Golf. Even in Ontario, Golf is alive and kicking still amidst the stay at home order.

https://www.blogto.com/sports_play/2...urses-ontario/
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 10:22 AM   #3793
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leondros View Post
I love playing at the fancy courses as there is typically a 20 - 40% chance I find a virtually brand new tp5 or Pro V.
Banff is absolutely amazing for this. A quick detour through a slightly wooded area off a fairway can yield 5-6 top end balls if you're held up ahead.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 10:23 AM   #3794
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone have any suggestions on cart bags? My stand bag zipper broke and I need a new one.

Going with a cart bag because I never carry my clubs. Either I use my push cart or take a power cart.
Old 04-09-2021, 10:44 AM   #3795
prarieboy
Late Bloomer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Anyone have any suggestions on cart bags? My stand bag zipper broke and I need a new one.

Going with a cart bag because I never carry my clubs. Either I use my push cart or take a power cart.
I've been very happy with my Sun Mountain bag that I have been using for three seasons now. Plenty of storage, cooler pocket and the top cover has held up really well. There is some wear at the bottom of the outside pocket seams but it's holding up fine. No broken zippers or any other parts.

I never walk and golf between 60-75 rounds per year so it's seen a lot of use. Highly recommend.
prarieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 11:12 AM   #3796
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

One thing that bothers me the most is when players aren't prepared with an extra ball. If you are someone that occasionally hits a mulligan off the tee have a second ball in your pocket so that you don't have to run back to the cart to get a new one. The same goes for lost balls. I can't believe how many people go off into the trees or long grass to look for a ball but don't bring a fresh ball in case they don't find one.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2021, 11:17 AM   #3797
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
One thing that bothers me the most is when players aren't prepared with an extra ball. If you are someone that occasionally hits a mulligan off the tee have a second ball in your pocket so that you don't have to run back to the cart to get a new one. The same goes for lost balls. I can't believe how many people go off into the trees or long grass to look for a ball but don't bring a fresh ball in case they don't find one.

Any true hacker has dropped another ball and is in their back-swing before their first one hits whatever it is it's going to hit before the ground.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 11:27 AM   #3798
Macman
Self Imposed Retirement

Exp:

That's why early morning tee times are good if you want to avoid slow play. I also like being out there on a weekend afternoon though too.

I think I did a 6 hour plus round once at Maple Ridge and don't think I've been back there since. City courses can be bad for slow paced play.
Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 11:38 AM   #3799
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman View Post
That's why early morning tee times are good if you want to avoid slow play. I also like being out there on a weekend afternoon though too.

I think I did a 6 hour plus round once at Maple Ridge and don't think I've been back there since. City courses can be bad for slow paced play.

5.5 to 6 hours at Maple has happened to me multiple times. Basically end up drinking everything, smoking everything, doing pushups or chipping drills to keep busy.

Bluedevil hit me with a 6 hour round after they lifted their extra spread time between tee times for Covid. I mentioned to the pro shop that 6 hours isn't acceptable for a $120+ round and they argued that it didn't happen! Made them check the GPS and the gave me 4 rainchecks to leave.
TSXCman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TSXCman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2021, 12:37 PM   #3800
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

as a guy who routinely logs scores around 100, i always an extra ball and tees in my pocket. If i hit tow wayward shots off the tee, i drop a ball on the fairway in the general area of the exit point, or where i might have hit to had i been able to execute my tee shot.

personally, i find i play better, when the pace is quick. I love those early morning rounds where you can get it done in 3 hours or less.

Last year i was playing by myself at Heatherglen, caught up to a threesome and joined them. The threesome had a serious 12 yr old golfing. and he was slow, pulled out his rangefinder for almost every shot. Including the second shot on par 5's when he was 300 or so out. I wanted to ask him why.......just hit the ball, learn to estimate how far away you are by looking. Needless to say, i was mad at myself for opting to stick with this group

it seems like the days of the tiger tunnel or the spiderman on the green are somewhat over......

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow