Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 09:44 PM   #361
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan
BA101 your bleepingcomputer link also recommends running Spybot and Adaware before trying Hijack this.
ssshhhhhhhh
Old 05-18-2006, 09:44 PM   #362
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

If your homepage has been hijacked, I'd go the your control panel- double click Internet Options and write down what the homepage address is so you'll know who or what you are dealing with. Then click on Use Default. I've used WinPatrol to remove unwanted programs but your milage may vary.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:00 PM   #363
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cSpooge
you could also try... start->control panel->power options
Can't find power options under start/control panel.

To Bobblehead, it is a laptop but it's definitely not a low battery. It also happens when it's plugged in.

I'l read the rest of the new posts to see if I can figure this out.
Old 05-20-2006, 09:24 AM   #364
cSpooge
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy
Can't find power options under start/control panel.

To Bobblehead, it is a laptop but it's definitely not a low battery. It also happens when it's plugged in.

I'l read the rest of the new posts to see if I can figure this out.

if you're running windows xp open control panel and on the left there should be a thing for you to switch to classic view... it should show up then.
Old 05-25-2006, 12:05 PM   #365
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Its most definately spyware if you cant surft away from a particular page. The fact that your sons IE works fine rules out an IE issue.

I reccomend the following:

SpyBot S&D
AntiVir
Windows Defender

After you have found and removed it, I reccomend upgrading to IE 7.

MYK
Old 05-25-2006, 12:25 PM   #366
cSpooge
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykalberta
Its most definately spyware if you cant surft away from a particular page. The fact that your sons IE works fine rules out an IE issue.

I reccomend the following:

SpyBot S&D
AntiVir
Windows Defender

After you have found and removed it, I reccomend upgrading to IE 7.

MYK

don't forget HiJackThis!... which will tell you exactly where and what is causing you're browser to get stolen.
Old 05-29-2006, 09:14 PM   #367
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

anyone have code tags they can post here or, preferably, PM to me?
Old 06-07-2006, 03:27 AM   #368
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Cleaning a laptop fan?

My laptop fan has been getting louder and louder. I can see dust has built up on the fan blades. I've tried canned air and even a vacuum to get as much dust out as possible, but it looks like a more thorough cleaning is needed. Has anyone ever opened up their laptop to clean the fan? Is this a risky thing to do? The warranty has expired so I can't void it by opening. It doesn't have a dedicated panel for just the cpu/heatsink, so I would have to remove 5 or 6 screws for the entire bottom panel. Is it better to take it to a computer tech? Who and how much?

Thx
Old 06-07-2006, 10:07 AM   #369
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Every laptop is different, and some are easier to access than others. I'd look for a forum dedicated to your model and ask them how easy it is. I know from talking with some techs that there are some models they hate working on simply because it is a PITA to get at certain componenets.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Old 06-16-2006, 03:07 AM   #370
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

don't work on it on the carpet.
Old 06-16-2006, 03:46 PM   #371
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

just don't move when working on it on the carpet. I've never done damage by working on a computer on the carpet, but I've heard of people who have. Either I was extra carefull or just lucky.
Old 06-25-2006, 07:12 PM   #372
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

How do I paste a URL like the following into a forum as an avatar? I tried but get an error message: Invalid File. The URL looks like this (I've added spaces so it doesn't actually download; I want you to see the URL without the actual avatar):

[URL =http://imageshack.us] [IMG] http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/3...ldwing28tc.gif [/IMG] [/url]

Last edited by MoneyGuy; 06-25-2006 at 07:17 PM.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:02 PM   #373
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

For an avatar you just use the link by itself with no IMG or URL tags in the control panel.

The worst I've ever done is reach around to unhook a printer right after taking off my winter jacket. On a tile floor. Without grounding myself first.

Shock actually hurt, and blew the parallel port circuit on the motherboard. Hello addin parallel port card.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:23 PM   #374
jolinar of malkshor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Anyone here play WOW. I downloaded the latest patch and I can't get it to work now. It keeps telling me that the download is corrupt. Anyone know any solutions?
Old 07-05-2006, 12:24 AM   #375
STeeLy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't play WoW... but a common solution is re-dowload from another site and re-install
Old 07-06-2006, 11:24 AM   #376
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Here's the story, my aunt and uncle are staying with us for the new few weeks while on vacation. Which is cool. But for some reason my uncle's laptop won't pick up our wireless router.

Now it'll pick up the faint network from across the street (which is secured) but won't pick up our signal even when right next to the router.

Now my laptop picks up the signal fine, as does my bro's desktop (both wireslessly of course).

Any ideas on why this might be? A setting on the router maybe?

Any help would be appreciated

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Old 07-06-2006, 11:47 AM   #377
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout
Here's the story, my aunt and uncle are staying with us for the new few weeks while on vacation. Which is cool. But for some reason my uncle's laptop won't pick up our wireless router.

Now it'll pick up the faint network from across the street (which is secured) but won't pick up our signal even when right next to the router.

Now my laptop picks up the signal fine, as does my bro's desktop (both wireslessly of course).

Any ideas on why this might be? A setting on the router maybe?

Any help would be appreciated
I'm guessing it may be a difference between the wireless protocol - 802.11 a/b/g?
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Old 07-06-2006, 12:43 PM   #378
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead
I'm guessing it may be a difference between the wireless protocol - 802.11 a/b/g?
Turns out it must have been the router afterall. My brother came home and was unable to use his desktop. I unplugged the router, waited 45 seconds plugged it back in and it's working fine now.

Odd that I still had the net fine, but I guess the router realizes that I'm the important one anyhow.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Old 07-16-2006, 04:06 PM   #379
Eddie Bronze
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was just talking to a buddy of mine who suggested that I try a memory test program on my computer. It's been hanging a lot lately when I've got 3 or more programs running at the same time.

He told me the best programs are the ones where you have to put them on a floppy and then re-boot the computer and use the program from the floppy. Does anyone on here know where I could get a good one to check my computer out?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-16-2006, 05:32 PM   #380
cSpooge
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Bronze
I was just talking to a buddy of mine who suggested that I try a memory test program on my computer. It's been hanging a lot lately when I've got 3 or more programs running at the same time.

He told me the best programs are the ones where you have to put them on a floppy and then re-boot the computer and use the program from the floppy. Does anyone on here know where I could get a good one to check my computer out?

Thanks in advance.
this would be what he is talking about:

http://www.memtest86.com/
Closed Thread