Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2024, 12:19 PM   #361
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yet every other scouting service has figured it out
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 12:20 PM   #362
Ziggy Lidstrom
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemit14 View Post
I have this unshakeable feeling that, even if he is still listed on most draft boards at 7th to 10th overall come draft day, I think he ends up being taken in the top 5 - even the top 3.

Can anyone speak to any weaknesses that stand out in his game that keeps him from being a top 5 ranking right now? Is it just that he was not projected to be this good based on his bantam draft? Does he have that common issue with power forwards in junior where the effort is inconsistent?

I think the only weaknesses are passing, defensive play and no sustained success.

This guy is going number two and maybe number one. We need a top three pick. I’d prefer top two. If we trade Marky , Tanev, hanifin and lindholm I think we could do it with a bit of lottery luck We are 22nd in the league but with those trades we could end bottom 5. So we could have a shot. If I were conroy I do what I can to secure lindstrom at almost any cost.
Old 01-12-2024, 12:36 PM   #363
Tbull8
First Line Centre

Exp:

After Celebrini the top 10-15 seems wide open. All it takes is for a couple teams to start a run on dmen. Looking at the reverse standings I could see Ottawa, Buffalo, Columbus, and SJ all going D if they aren't picking at 1.
Tbull8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 12:53 PM   #364
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbull8 View Post
After Celebrini the top 10-15 seems wide open. All it takes is for a couple teams to start a run on dmen. Looking at the reverse standings I could see Ottawa, Buffalo, Columbus, and SJ all going D if they aren't picking at 1.
Maybe. If their scouts are as high on Lindstrom as we are, I don’t think they’ll pass over him simply because they need more defencemen in their prospects pool. People could say the same thing about the flames. They need both centres and defence so I think they will take best player available at their pick.
stemit14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2024, 11:35 AM   #365
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dunno where else to put this, I'm not a real prospect guru so I don't know, but why did Andrew Cristall go 40th overall in last years draft? Size or something?

His production was nuts, he was over a point per game in draft MINUS 1 year, and then in his draft year he puts up 95 points in 54 games, and it's not like he was on a stacked team.

Now he's tearing the WHL a new one this year over 2 points per game. I like Honzek, and I hope he turns out fine, but he's not even in Cristall's stratosphere when it comes to pure offensive talent. How does he get taken 24 spots before Cristall?
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2024, 11:37 AM   #366
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Dunno where else to put this, I'm not a real prospect guru so I don't know, but why did Andrew Cristall go 40th overall in last years draft? Size or something?

His production was nuts, he was over a point per game in draft MINUS 1 year, and then in his draft year he puts up 95 points in 54 games, and it's not like he was on a stacked team.

Now he's tearing the WHL a new one this year over 2 points per game. I like Honzek, and I hope he turns out fine, but he's not even in Cristall's stratosphere when it comes to pure offensive talent. How does he get taken 24 spots before Cristall?
NHL GMs do what NHL GMs do and overthink his production because of his size and skating...how did the WJC not even invite him to selection camp.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2024, 11:38 AM   #367
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
NHL GMs do what NHL GMs do and overthink his production because of his size and skating...how did the WJC not even invite him to selection camp.
It's nuts lol
Old 01-13-2024, 11:43 AM   #368
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

It’s not nuts
There are very few players that overcome both size and skating issues.
Players need a way to separate in the nhl particularly skilled guys so they have room to make plays.
If you can’t separate with skating or size it’s tough. You need to have unreal hockey sense which he might have.
But the reasons he dropped are legit. Few players like him make it.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2024, 11:46 AM   #369
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

On the flip side players that produce in junior like him, especially in their draft-1 and draft year pretty much always make it.

Also I think his skating issues are overstated he doesn't have amazing straight line speed, but his edge work and ability to deceive with his movement are very strong.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2024, 01:00 PM   #370
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
It’s not nuts
There are very few players that overcome both size and skating issues.
Players need a way to separate in the nhl particularly skilled guys so they have room to make plays.
If you can’t separate with skating or size it’s tough. You need to have unreal hockey sense which he might have.
But the reasons he dropped are legit. Few players like him make it.
Well, he's not THAT small.

Also, he was putting up similar point per game production in his draft minus 1 season as Honzek is in his draft plus 1 season.

I'm not trying to pick on Honzek, I'm just a Flames fan so when I see a guy doing what Cristall is I always take a peak to see how many times the Flames passed on the guy haha

I like to torture myself
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2024, 01:05 PM   #371
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well, he's not THAT small.

Also, he was putting up similar point per game production in his draft minus 1 season as Honzek is in his draft plus 1 season.

I'm not trying to pick on Honzek, I'm just a Flames fan so when I see a guy doing what Cristall is I always take a peak to see how many times the Flames passed on the guy haha

I like to torture myself
Worry about it when he is the show lol
Bonded is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2024, 01:11 PM   #372
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

What's going to be interesting is how much Barkley Cattons production is tied to Cristall. But, if he's a bigger, better skating Cristall out of the box, he's gonna go high. Higher than he ranked IMO.

Edit: Cristall wasn't spurned by just the Flames, by everyone, including Team Canada. Which in retrospect may not be a big deal singe they didn't even medal.
Old 01-13-2024, 05:39 PM   #373
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cristall doesn’t have good straight line speed, needs plenty of work. I have faith in him though, because he has good agility and edge work in small spaces, plus the puck-protection of a 6’3” power forward. I’ve witnessed him shake off plenty of attackers, manoeuvre through traffic with the puck, and play the cycle. Mangiapane was in a similar boat as Cristall- he was passed over once in the draft because he was small and slow, but managed to bring his speed up to a respectable level. Marty Murray was small and slow, but came up in a time when fixing a player’s skating wasn’t as possible as it is now.

Smaller players usually have a longer runway to the NHL, and that runway gets longer with each deficiency they have- that’s just how it is. If Dylan Strome was 5’10”, he wouldn’t be in the NHL. Cristall has superstar talent though, so he’s already got a leg up.

Last edited by Sandman; 01-13-2024 at 05:42 PM.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2024, 12:33 PM   #374
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Cayden Lindstrom out 4-6 weeks with upper body surgery. Sounds shoulder or collar boney to me.
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 12:50 PM   #375
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze2 View Post
Cayden Lindstrom out 4-6 weeks with upper body surgery. Sounds shoulder or collar boney to me.
Sucks for him to have to miss the top prospects game.

From what I've heard it's the wrist, happened in practice returning from Xmas break.
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2024, 12:53 PM   #376
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sucks for him to have to miss the top prospects game.

From what I've heard it's the wrist, happened in practice returning from Xmas break.
maybe he will slip to 10-16 range
TheIronMaiden is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2024, 01:03 PM   #377
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I don't know if I would have been too upset if the Flames picked him 16th as it would have been a swing for the fences pick even with his skating deficiencies. Perrault was the guy I was hoping for because I think he's going to be a very productive player in the NHL but being a US player I can understand passing on him if he's grouped up with Canadian and European players that you also like. Honzek seems like a good prospect and hopefully the Flames were right to pick him where they did.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 02:38 AM   #378
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Draft Thoughts, 2024 Edition, Part 1:

I would like to talk about a couple of my favorite D-men for the upcoming draft, that aren't in the "Big Seven".

Leo Sahlin Wallenius is the prototype of a certain kind of D that seems to be becoming more common- a six-foot, puck-moving, offensive blueliner with speed. This kid is up there with the best in terms of speed in this draft, and as Steven Ellis of Daily Faceoff says, his speed is "maybe the best among defenders in this class". His speed made him a standout in the Hlinka Gretzky tournament, as I can personally attest, and he was the leading scorer amongst defensemen for Team Sweden (second in the tournament to Henry Mews) with 1 goal, and 4 assists in 4 games. At the time of this writing, he has some eye-popping stats with the Vaxjo Lakers of the J20 League in Sweden, with 25 points in just 30 games- good for 3rd in that circuit amongst defensemen, at the age of 17 (he doesn't turn 18 until April). Wallenius is a quality two-way player who brings a bit of everything with him to the rink- he's not the biggest player, but what he lacks in strength, he makes up for in tenaciousness, and constantly being a pest to attackers. He wields an excellent defensive stick for pokechecks, takeaways, and blocks. He still manages to employ some physicality, and can show a bit of a competitive chip on his shoulder, as his 24 PIM might suggest. Wallenius can be used in all situations, and is adept on both sides of special teams. He can be flashy at times, and seems to have a penchant for high-end outlet passes, but I would say he keeps it simple most of the time so as to not sacrifice his defensive duties for risky offense. His specialty is playmaking, and he has a wide variety of ways he can deceptively distribute the puck, and demonstrates elite vision and IQ when doing so. He can pinch, or join the rush, but does so judiciously most of the time. Despite having a tight two-way game, some say he could tune-up his gap control a bit, and even more say he needs to improve his shot- he can get it on net consistently, but it needs better velocity. in addition, like most kids his age, he needs to get much stronger. He reminds me a bit of our own Etienne Morin. Look for him late in the first round, or early second.

Henry Mews is another D-man I had an opportunity to watch in the Hlinka, and has many of the same attributes and deficiencies as another standout in the tourney in Sahlin-Wallenius. Like his Swedish counterpart, he plays an advanced two-way game, and plays a more simplified approach in order to preserve his defense, sacrificing some flash and dash. Many OHL watchers wanted to see Mews explode offensively more than he has, despite having 34 points in 36 games currently, but he doesn't activate as much as they want him to- this tells me that there is much more in this player than he's showing numbers-wise, even though his numbers are exceptional. Mews is an effortless skater and puck-mover, and from what I've seen, he often shines in transition- both carrying and passing. He is capable of driving play from the backend, but perhaps showed this off more in the Hlinka more often than he does in the OHL, as scouts would like to see him do it more often. Mews' primary weapon is his playmaking and passing, augmented by his elite vision and IQ. He has an excellent shot, but perhaps doesn't use it enough, as he only has 6 goals so far. 7 points in 5 games to lead all D in the Hlinka, even though he often had less ice-time than some of his teammates, and was relegated to the second units of both special teams much of the time. He was one of my favorites to watch. Mews is calm and poised under pressure, comfortable in any situation, and has the will and compete to win board battles- despite not being the biggest skater on the ice (6'0",185lbs). There's an inate ability here to seemingly always make the right play at the right time, in all 3 zones. Like most D of his size and ilk, he will need to bulk up and get stronger, and play with more pace to better showcase his play-driving capabilities- I'm betting his numbers skyrocket next season. Look for him in the late first, early second.

Wallenius' teammate on both the Vaxjo Lakers, and team Sweden at the Hlinka Gretzky Cup, is smooth skating rearguard Alfons Freij- who, like Wallenius, has put up some great numbers in the J20. 9 goals and 23 points in 29 games, which puts him 5th in the league for D, and he put up 4 points in 4 games at the Hlinka, putting him 5th for D in that tournament as well. Freij has a touch more size than Wallenius, at 6'1",192lbs, and is an explosive skater in his own right with a very aggressive, dynamic style. He has an attack mentality, and loves having the puck on his stick, carrying it with confidence with his skillful puckhandling. He's an excellent transporter of the puck, both with his feet in skating from the D zone all the way through to the other end of the rink, or through his deft passing- be it either the short pass, or his expert long bombs to streaking teammates. Freij may be one of the top puck-movers from the backend in this draft, and he can pull off passes that most can't see- and the confidence to try, even when they don't connect sometimes. There's a risk-taking component to his game, and not everything he tries works 100% of the time, but more often than not, it does. He's always working hard to make things happen. He has top-tier vision and creativity, and sees the ice better than most. Freij makes it look easy, and is a threat in the offensive zone, both on and off the puck with his ability to perform and move in traffic, draw attackers to him, and his ability to attack (and create) open space. He can shoot the puck hard and accurate, and get it on net through traffic pretty consistently. There's a physical component here too, although he's not a huge hitter, and needs to get a bit stronger. As good as he is offensively, he can be an adventure in his own zone- he can defend the rush with his speed, but lacks the same zeal in his own zone as he puts into his offensive play. Freij is still considered a two-way defenseman, but this dimension in his game needs work-it's definitely not a glaring weakness. He still exhibits excellent gap control, and has an active stick. Many say that his decision-making in the D zone is a concern, and that he can be pressured into making mistakes. Freij is another D to look for in the late first, early second.

When searching for info to digest on Leo Sahlin Wallenius, one may come across a highly unheralded defenseman playing for Farjestad in the J20, and leading all D in that league in goals and points, by the name of Noel Fransen. 15 goals and 34 points in 33 games- Axel Sandin-Pelikka had 16 goals and 36 points in 31 J20 games in his Draft year. From all accounts, Fransen is a first-round talent, but isn't appearing on anyone's lists. I urge anyone to go watch his highlights and tell me that he's not first/second round material. Fransen exhibits high-end skating and vision, and has every weapon at his disposal- passing, shooting, hockey sense, and is even a good defensive player. Franson is cool and collected, skating with his head up to scan the ice for options, and always seems to make the right choice. Defensively, he shows anticipation, keeping his opponent to the outside, and employing an active stick. He seems to be ahead of the play in all 3 zones. Fransen is a quality puck-mover, and is a confident and capable carrier as well- he has the speed, agility, and stickhandling to weave through traffic from one end to the other with possession. He stays active in the offensive zone to scan for options, and open up space for teammates. If there's a weakness, it may be his size (6'0",179lbs),and physicality. It will be interesting to see what happens, but I think we'll hear more about this kid the closer we get to the Draft- much like last year, with Simashev and Gulyayev.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2024, 10:09 AM   #379
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks Sandman - I love your long and detailed breakdowns!!
Calgary4LIfe is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2024, 02:46 PM   #380
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

What are everyone’s thoughts on Eiserman at this point? He looks to be dropping in the draft rankings and he is trending to possibly drop out of the top ten. Going into this season, most draft rankings had him top 2-3. I am mixed about him overall. To me, at this point, he is the most high risk/high reward type of player. His shot is truly elite and his goal scoring has been really impressive. But the fact that no other aspects of his game have really improved over the last few years of development is concerning… he’s still very poor defensively and has not really shown much play-driving or play-making ability.

He could be a really good fit on the right team. For example, if San Jose picked up Celebrini at first overall and then used their pick from Pittsburgh to select Eiserman… it could be a fantastic pick. He would be a great complimentary piece to play-driving centres like Celebrini or Bedard.

I don’t really think he would be a great fit for Calgary right now though. There are quite a few other players that I would value over him at this point. Of course, it all depends on who else would be available when the flames make their pick.
stemit14 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stemit14 For This Useful Post:

Tags
2024 nhl draft , nhl draft