Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2018, 06:36 PM   #361
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

With it coming out in May, it will probably only be a teaser with Smith in costume as the Genie tomorrow.
Old 10-10-2018, 06:54 PM   #362
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

I generally like Smith as an actor, but as the genie? No way. Was Jim Carrey not available? Eddie Murphy could probably do it justice as well.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2018, 07:49 PM   #363
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if they are going in different direction where the Genie is more serious and not randomly throwing in 20th century pop culture references.
Old 10-10-2018, 08:29 PM   #364
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
I wonder if they are going in different direction where the Genie is more serious and not randomly throwing in 20th century pop culture references.
That was really Robin Williams' schtick. Melissa McCarthy might have made for a good genie.

I could see this not going real well for Will Smith.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 12:41 PM   #365
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

First look of Vin Diesel as Bloodshot
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 12:57 PM   #366
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post

First look of Vin Diesel as Bloodshot

He's must have hit the gym recently:

blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 06:42 PM   #367
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

When is Vin due?
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:01 PM   #368
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

He is groot....a big fat smoking groot!
Old 10-12-2018, 07:29 AM   #369
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

That is just an artists concept of what he will look like based on designs. Although they could just photo shop in the abs, and the hair. Maybe the guy who did cavils mustache is available.
KPJ
Old 10-12-2018, 07:41 AM   #370
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

That photo is a few years old by now, isn't it?
Old 10-12-2018, 07:21 PM   #371
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Terry Rossio
@TerryRossio
So strange that literally the only words spoken in the new Aladdin trailer happens to be a rhyme that my writing partner and I wrote, and Disney offers zero compensation to us (or to any screenwriters on any of these live-action re-makes) not even a t-shirt or a pass to the park.

10:23 PM - Oct 11, 2018
853 people are talking about this
Interesting. Apparently writers have approached Disney asking for some form of compensation, as little as a park pass, and were told no.

Like, it is totally in Disney's right, thems the breaks.. but you gotta feel like that is just bad business. I understand how it would work though, you give the first one a park pass, the next one wants more, then more.. and it snowballs. You either give the credit and proper compensation, or nothing at all.
Old 10-13-2018, 09:25 AM   #372
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Interesting. Apparently writers have approached Disney asking for some form of compensation, as little as a park pass, and were told no.

Like, it is totally in Disney's right, thems the breaks.. but you gotta feel like that is just bad business. I understand how it would work though, you give the first one a park pass, the next one wants more, then more.. and it snowballs. You either give the credit and proper compensation, or nothing at all.
One day Disney is going to go full 'Evil Empire' with their own compounds and Mickey Mouse in the White House and the Kremlin and internment camps for Non-Disney personnel and I'm going to get the pleasure of telling you that I told you so from my Mountain-top bunker!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 09:41 AM   #373
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm sure he got paid to write the original screenplay, which Disney would own and have all the copyrights to and be able to do whatever they want with. They're under no obligation to compensate the original writers, because they already compensated the original writers to create it for them to use. If they wanted additional pay for any 'down the road' remakes, they should've thought of that when signing their contracts. That's business.

Everyone is out to bad mouth the companies screwing over the artists, but these guys make their own beds. It's like that author of The Witcher trying to get a bunch of money out of CD Projekt Red now when he sold the full rights to them for pennies thinking the game would flop. Sorry, it's not a charity.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 09:59 AM   #374
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I never posted teh article I should do that, it goes on to talk about how the original deal was for anything involving this screenplay in an animated sense, at the time they never even thought about live action. So if this was a new animated movie, the original writers would be due compensation as per their contract, but even using the same screenplay, characters, lines that this guy wrote in a LIVE ACTION nullifies the original contract and any compensation.

That does change the dynamic of this in that it wasn't just a here it is and we're done, it was a here it is and anything in the future we will take care of you agreement. Being that it is Live Action, but still completely based on the original contracted content... means Disney can not pay them a dime and there is nothing they can do about it.

So they DID put the future pay in their contracts thinking they were taking care of themselves and protecting themselves, but the whole 'live action' loop hole thing wasn't even brought to light until they went to Disney saying What the hell where is our compensation!?!? And Disney replied like the guy from Jurassic park, Nuh uh uh, you didn't say the magic LIVE ACTION word.

For instance, for the Aladdin animated sequels, they were given compensation.

I don't care enough to argue it, I just wanted to make sure that point was clarified. I still love Disney and will continue to gobble up anything they put in front of me.

Last edited by GreenLantern; 10-13-2018 at 10:01 AM.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 10:17 AM   #375
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I never posted teh article I should do that, it goes on to talk about how the original deal was for anything involving this screenplay in an animated sense, at the time they never even thought about live action. So if this was a new animated movie, the original writers would be due compensation as per their contract, but even using the same screenplay, characters, lines that this guy wrote in a LIVE ACTION nullifies the original contract and any compensation.

That does change the dynamic of this in that it wasn't just a here it is and we're done, it was a here it is and anything in the future we will take care of you agreement. Being that it is Live Action, but still completely based on the original contracted content... means Disney can not pay them a dime and there is nothing they can do about it.

So they DID put the future pay in their contracts thinking they were taking care of themselves and protecting themselves, but the whole 'live action' loop hole thing wasn't even brought to light until they went to Disney saying What the hell where is our compensation!?!? And Disney replied like the guy from Jurassic park, Nuh uh uh, you didn't say the magic LIVE ACTION word.

For instance, for the Aladdin animated sequels, they were given compensation.

I don't care enough to argue it, I just wanted to make sure that point was clarified. I still love Disney and will continue to gobble up anything they put in front of me.
Wow...that is Evil.

Brilliant....but ultimately evil.

Was Disney's Lawyer Al Pacino from 'The Devil's Advocate?'

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 10-13-2018, 11:04 AM   #376
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
“The studio owns the content on an animated feature,” he wrote. “When the films were made, no one foresaw a live action remake so nothing was contracted. Disney has been approached many times for some kind of compensation fee (I asked for a Disney pass) but they answered no, zilch, nada.”
https://www.cbr.com/terry-rossio-aladdin-teaser/
Old 10-13-2018, 11:07 AM   #377
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yep. So "As per my contract, I'm not owed anything. So when I contacted them and asked for compensation, they said no."

Shocker. But we're all meant to feel bad.
Old 10-13-2018, 11:09 AM   #378
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

lol

So much anger. A path to the darkside.
Old 10-13-2018, 11:16 AM   #379
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Yep. So "As per my contract, I'm not owed anything. So when I contacted them and asked for compensation, they said no."

Shocker. But we're all meant to feel bad.
Quote:
lol

So much anger. A path to the darkside.
I know, but its basically a technicality.

Disney are within their rights to the letter of the law.

But it wasnt in their contracts because their lawyers never foresaw a live action version of a cartoon that was released in 1992.

You cant blame Disney too much because they are technically correct...

But still, you can see their point. They're skating by on a technicality.

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2018, 11:17 AM   #380
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

??

I'm not angry about it. Just pointing out that it's a little ridiculous for him to think he'd be owed something outside of his contract. A Disney pass? Come on. The guy sold one of the most expensive movie scripts of all time for millions of dollars (Deja Vu). Not to mention all the other film work he's done that I'm sure hes been paid very well for. I think he can afford to get in to Disneyland.