Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2015, 01:12 PM   #361
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robaur View Post
Darth Maul was ####ing bad ass! As a kid, I was scared of him.

Kylo Ren looks like a ##### ass bitch who I would slap around on Friday and twice on Saturday. I went with a group of 6 people and they all felt the same way. What good is a villain if you think you could probably #### kick him. Character development be damned. Cut the emo crap out.
Spoiler!
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2015, 01:14 PM   #362
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You're so cool by making this typical PC comment. Like so cool man. So modern. So advanced. Super cool.

The premise of my post was first mentioned by my girlfriend. Yes, a woman. She didn't think Star Wars was going the Hunger Games model, and then just dismissed it as a marketing ploy to get a more female demographic interested in Star Wars. All this time, for the past 35 years, Star Wars has been a male dominated universe so this is a drastic change.

So get off your super cool, modern, advanced, PC high horse.
So do you think they have a female lead just because they wanted a female lead, or because they wanted to sell more toys to little girls?

I'm thinking it's the first one...
Old 12-21-2015, 01:18 PM   #363
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
So do you think they have a female lead just because they wanted a female lead, or because they wanted to sell more toys to little girls?

Its Disney so it was certainly about selling toys.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2015, 01:23 PM   #364
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Who cares that it's a female lead?
I'd rather stare at Rey for 2 hours than another dude anyways.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to polak For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2015, 01:25 PM   #365
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Its Disney so it was certainly about selling toys.
This franchise was about selling toys long before Disney ever got their mitts on it.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2015, 01:26 PM   #366
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Speculation:

So, assuming that Rey is Ren's sister (I'm sticking with that theory until the movies prove me otherwise), could she be the reason he turned to the dark side? He makes a few mentions to Solo not being a good father, that she sees him as a father-figure, and that she "didn't miss much".

Maybe he finds out that they separated them at birth for safety reasons and it is why he becomes enraged at his parents and turns away from the Jedi. maybe Snoke offered a way to find her?
Old 12-21-2015, 01:28 PM   #367
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Speculation:

So, assuming that Rey is Ren's sister (I'm sticking with that theory until the movies prove me otherwise), could she be the reason he turned to the dark side? He makes a few mentions to Solo not being a good father, that she sees him as a father-figure, and that she "didn't miss much".

Maybe he finds out that they separated them at birth for safety reasons and it is why he becomes enraged at his parents and turns away from the Jedi. maybe Snoke offered a way to find her?
the twin thing all over again?
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 01:28 PM   #368
scotty2hotty
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Surprisingly, this 'After Viewing' thread is starting to put a dark cloud on what was a great film. I really enjoyed it ... but man ... some of you guys really suck the joy out of things.

I think I'm going to stick to the hope and anticipation of the 'Pre-Viewing' thread for a while.

Looking forward to catching the movie a second time!

And yes, I won't let the door hit me on the way out ....
Old 12-21-2015, 01:32 PM   #369
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
In the EU Han and Leia had twins, but I don't know if the new movies are using any of the EU at all. I think they had boy and girl twins and an son.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2015, 01:34 PM   #370
robaur
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

It's all about the money. Definitely selling more toys, expanding their fan base = more profits. While the guys are still going to watch it cuz its Star Wars and tbh...Daisey Ridley is quite easy to look at...works both ways for them. From a business POV, it's smart as hell having a female lead.

Look at hunger games....what keeps most men hooked is that Jennifer Lawrence is a bombshell.
robaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 01:35 PM   #371
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty2hotty View Post
Surprisingly, this 'After Viewing' thread is starting to put a dark cloud on what was a great film. I really enjoyed it ... but man ... some of you guys really suck the joy out of things.

I think I'm going to stick to the hope and anticipation of the 'Pre-Viewing' thread for a while.

Looking forward to catching the movie a second time!

And yes, I won't let the door hit me on the way out ....
Yeah lots of nit-picking at small elements of what was a very good movie overall.

Guess that goes with the territory when making a Star Wars movie.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 01:38 PM   #372
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
The seeming "rehash" of it wouldn't really bother me for a couple reasons:

A) Twins are hereditary, it wouldn't exactly be a crazy coincidence that twins have twins.

B) While they obviously mention it in the original trilogy, they don't really explore the twin thing between Luke and Leia at all in the movies. It mostly just seems like a reason why Leia and Luke don't have any romantic tension.

I think Lucas always meant to explore Leia's force sensitivity much deeper ("No. There is another.") but for some reason he never did. Or maybe figured he would explore it further in films that never actually happened. But the implications of the offspring of Anakin being twins and having powerful force abilities was never really explored. I wouldn't mind seeing it approached here and if that could truly bring a "balance".

So while, yes, they are twins, again! That doesn't mean that anything else has to be even remotely similar.
Old 12-21-2015, 01:39 PM   #373
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
In the EU Han and Leia had twins, but I don't know if the new movies are using any of the EU at all. I think they had boy and girl twins and an son.
Jacen and Jaina. Surprisingly I remember that from years ago as a kid when i read a book starring them.

That said, if you follow the canon of some of that literature, then Kylo Ren is very much (if not exactly) Jacen.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 01:58 PM   #374
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

If if Rey is there daughter why is their no recognition from Han or Leia.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2015, 02:00 PM   #375
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Kylo Ren looks like a malnourished Darth Vader wannabe. It's almost as if he decided to go to Toys R Us and buy a Halloween costume.

Was getting into the character when he had his mask on but when he took it off...I lost all "fear" that you're supposed to have for a a lead villain. Looked like a prepubescent boy with daddy issues.

Don't forget that he got his ass beat by a chick who picked up the lightsaber for the first time. Like seriously? The guy has been training his whole life and has been guided by Luke Skywalker....is also his blood...but gets his ass beat by someone in their first lightsaber duel....and we, as audience members, are supposed to fear this villain? LOL!
I'm actually surprised nobody has addressed this post yet.

Up until Kylo had killed Han Solo he arguably still had some good in him, you weren't supposed to fear him you were supposed to see his transition to the dark side in this film.

Also I really doubt that was her first lightsaber duel. My guess is she was one of the Jedi Luke was training previously.
jg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 02:02 PM   #376
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulator75 View Post
Seriously, why the hell not?

Go drag your knuckles back to your cave and evolve through an ice age or two...
Well you certainly proved you've evolved beyond primal and simplistic rage based responses.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 02:07 PM   #377
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

It was awesome how Josh Groban removed his mask to fight Rey, I think it helped with his character.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2015, 02:07 PM   #378
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

My theory is Rey was just an exceptionally gifted force user that Luke recognized when she was young, then hid her on Jakku from Ren & others in the care of "an old friend", Max von Sydow. After his Jedi academy failed and he unknowingly trained the next Sith/dark leader, Luke exiled himself like Yoda did after his failure against old Palps. His hope was the the youngling that he hid away on Jakku would one day find him and he would train her. He hid himself away so that she would need to prove she is worthy by finding him. I also believe Snoke knows this, and that's why he told Hux to bring Ren to him to complete his training. Episode 8 will be an epic showdown between two highly trained force users.

Of course, the only way this theory holds water is if Luke wiped her memory, or at least blocked any memory of him and the academy, then set her up with a foster family. Not sure if this is possible or even morally correct by Jedi standards, so we definitely need an uber nerd to clarify. Probably CC.

The only other possibility with that theory is that Luke recognized her force ability while she was a baby/toddler, and Ren when on his attack at the same time. He hides her away, and she has no memory because she was too young at the time.

In my world, Luke is the next Yoda so he would have remained strictly adherent to Jedi code of no attachment and no children. That's why I think Rey isn't his child. Furthermore, it would be a little silly for Leia and Han to constantly mention their son, but not their daughter. I don't believe Ray is a Skywalker.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2015, 02:08 PM   #379
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg13 View Post
I'm actually surprised nobody has addressed this post yet.

Up until Kylo had killed Han Solo he arguably still had some good in him, you weren't supposed to fear him you were supposed to see his transition to the dark side in this film.

Also I really doubt that was her first lightsaber duel. My guess is she was one of the Jedi Luke was training previously.
My guess is that Kylo will also require some cybernetic enhancements after taking that blaster shot to the torso. He may not be able to remove the mask next time.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 02:22 PM   #380
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like how no one seems to know Max von Sydow's characters name, but 'Max von Sydow' is a perfectly acceptable Star Wars name anyways so it doesn't matter.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post: