Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2012, 08:48 AM   #361
mikey_the_redneck
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by valo403 View Post
And that has what to do with your asinine statement about women being raped on subways?

Admit it, you went with your usual baseless hyperbole approach once again
Wow ....you're really stuck on the subway thing. Raped/robbed, who cares? Try to see past that. If you don't agree that women are prone to being attacked after dark whether its robbery/rape etc., than you don't have a shred of common sense.
mikey_the_redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:50 AM   #362
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey_the_redneck View Post
Wow ....you're really stuck on the subway thing. Raped/robbed, who cares? Try to see past that. If you don't agree that women are prone to being attacked after dark whether its robbery/rape etc., than you don't have a shred of common sense.
I'm stuck on making you accountable for your BS claims. This is your routine, you make asinine claims that you can't support and then when you get called on it you back away and claim you meant something else. Typical garbage from mikey.
valo403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to valo403 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2012, 08:52 AM   #363
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeBass View Post
One of these pro gun posters used a theatre killing of unarmed people as an example of the need for people to carry guns.
Can you imagine if somebody shot somebody in a dark theatre and everybody else had a gun.

"40 shots rang out, 40 people fell, Patty and the killer may have missed each other but they shot that town to hell"

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2012, 09:02 AM   #364
mikey_the_redneck
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
Because it has no degree of apllication, it requires an immediate readyness to apply lethal force and you have to have the gun in your hand and be aware of what is going on, generally muggers thugs and drunken husbands don't give you that advantage.

Case in point the Fort Hood massacre, 13 dead 31 wounded, I would imagine every single victim had a gun, many of them on their person, all were well trained and well able to defend themselves, what they didn't have was forewarning. If someone is trying to shoot you, a burgler or disgruntled collegue or the like they are walking around with a gun in their hand, even if you have a gun on you, you are still effed in that situation, as the chances are you won't know what is happening or even if you do know someone is shooting people you don't know who it is, you won't be expecting that someone is trying to kill you, you will only realize this when the shooter opens up your office door and puts 3 or 4 rounds into you.

Having a gun gives you no advantage what so ever against someone else with a gun, you may be on even terms, but chances are if they are a better shot or have their gun out or has a bullet proof vest or is behind you or just knows what is going on when you don't then you're dead.
We had a thread in here about a single teenage mom who successfully blasted an armed intruder with a shotgun. If this woman was unable to have a firearm in her home, gun grabbers like you would most likely have blood on your hands in situations like this to achieve some idealistic utopia.

You can point out a successful mass shooting, but I could point out many instances where lives are saved as a result of gun use.

Flat out, I would feel far safer attending the University of Texas that allows concealed carry, than a place like Virginia Tech where you are prone to being shot up by a drugged up, psychotic student.

There is an inherent risk to living in a free society...

Under the liberal utopia, the people that would like to shoot their spouse will simply stab them instead. The absense of guns does not eliminate the will to kill.

Last edited by mikey_the_redneck; 04-13-2012 at 09:11 AM.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:08 AM   #365
mikey_the_redneck
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I'm stuck on making you accountable for your BS claims. This is your routine, you make asinine claims that you can't support and then when you get called on it you back away and claim you meant something else. Typical garbage from mikey.
What BS claim? That women get raped and robbed on subways? ...and that they brandish their pistols to deter a potential attack?

I never said there was a rape "epidemic" on subways, but it does happen, and attacks could happen almost anywhere....women, being the weaker sex are more prone.

What other routine asinine claims have I made? Maybe I can clear it up for you.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:18 AM   #366
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What BS claim? That women get raped and robbed on subways? ...and that they brandish their pistols to deter a potential attack?

I never said there was a rape "epidemic" on subways, but it does happen, and attacks could happen almost anywhere....women, being the weaker sex are more prone.

What other routine asinine claims have I made? Maybe I can clear it up for you.
Let's start with your entire posting history
Old 04-13-2012, 09:27 AM   #367
tussery
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
Case in point the Fort Hood massacre, 13 dead 31 wounded, I would imagine every single victim had a gun, many of them on their person, all were well trained and well able to defend themselves, what they didn't have was forewarning. If someone is trying to shoot you, a burgler or disgruntled collegue or the like they are walking around with a gun in their hand, even if you have a gun on you, you are still effed in that situation, as the chances are you won't know what is happening or even if you do know someone is shooting people you don't know who it is, you won't be expecting that someone is trying to kill you, you will only realize this when the shooter opens up your office door and puts 3 or 4 rounds into you.
Shows how much you know about military bases.

Edit:
http://www.defense.gov/news/newsarticle.aspx?id=56558
Quote:
Cone said. And in responding to a question, “As a matter of practice, we do not carry weapons on Fort Hood,” he said. “This is our home.”
http://www.latimes.com/news/la-na-fo...085,full.story
Quote:
The rules for carrying weapons on an Army post are standard throughout all bases, service officials said. The only personnel allowed to openly display weapons on the base are military police, said Lt. Col. Nathan Banks, an Army spokesman.

Service weapons are checked daily and are usually only allowed to be removed from an arms room for training on a range or maintenance. Personal weapons must be kept locked and registered with the base provost marshal. The military police keep a record of all of the weapons on a base, Army officials said.

Last edited by tussery; 04-13-2012 at 09:34 AM. Reason: Proof
tussery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:28 AM   #368
tussery
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
We had a thread in here about a single teenage mom who successfully blasted an armed intruder with a shotgun. If this woman was unable to have a firearm in her home, gun grabbers like you would most likely have blood on your hands in situations like this to achieve some idealistic utopia.

You can point out a successful mass shooting, but I could point out many instances where lives are saved as a result of gun use.

Flat out, I would feel far safer attending the University of Texas that allows concealed carry, than a place like Virginia Tech where you are prone to being shot up by a drugged up, psychotic student.

There is an inherent risk to living in a free society...

Under the liberal utopia, the people that would like to shoot their spouse will simply stab them instead. The absense of guns does not eliminate the will to kill.
They don't allow concealed carry on any University campus in Texas.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:52 AM   #369
Clever_Iggy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I agree, I think we're past the point of simply banning guns (not that there's anyway it could be done politically or legally). I do think that something lik Captain's plan of heavily punish any gun crime would be effective, but then we open the door to mass incarceration, which is already a problem in the US.

There's already a massive problem, the real question is how do we fix it without simply shifting it to another area. I don't know that I have an answer, but I do know that more guns isn't it.
Exactly. The war on guns would be as effective and detrimental to the US incarceration budget as the war on drugs.

Once people get past the fact that banning guns in the US simply will never happen, they're able to consider other possibilities for increasing gun safety and decreasing gun violence.
Clever_Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clever_Iggy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2012, 10:24 AM   #370
mikey_the_redneck
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tussery View Post
They don't allow concealed carry on any University campus in Texas.
Are you sure?

http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-201_162-20061383.html

Hmm, I'm not sure if that went through or not, but there a few other states that allow this, like Utah.

I came across this document showing that Concealed Handgun License Holders are some of the most peaceful, responsible people.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/adminis...Report2007.pdf

Total convictions = 61,260
Total convictions of CHL holders = 160
Total CHL holders in Texas = 470,000

That is pretty damn good....

Last edited by mikey_the_redneck; 04-13-2012 at 10:49 AM.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:42 AM   #371
tussery
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Are you sure?

http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-201_162-20061383.html

Hmm, I'm not sure if that went through or not, but there a few other states that allow this, like Utah.
They tried to pass a stand alone bill and it did not get support. Then it was attached to another bill, but it was found to be illegally attached, and campus carry died. UT and Texas A&M strongly oppose concealed carry on their campuses and spoke out against the original bill.
The Following User Says Thank You to tussery For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2012, 10:49 AM   #372
mikey_the_redneck
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tussery View Post
They tried to pass a stand alone bill and it did not get support. Then it was attached to another bill, but it was found to be illegally attached, and campus carry died. UT and Texas A&M strongly oppose concealed carry on their campuses and spoke out against the original bill.
Dang....Utah it is!
Old 04-13-2012, 11:27 AM   #373
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I'm more comfortable with states that allow open carry without loaded ammunition and without magazines (can carry them separately) than I am with concealed carry. That should be a reasonable compromise to all the gun-nuts out there.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2012, 11:30 AM   #374
mikey_the_redneck
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Let's start with your entire posting history
Haha ....countering my hyperbole with your own hyperbole....nice.
The Following User Says Thank You to mikey_the_redneck For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2012, 11:35 AM   #375
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Here:

http://gunowners.org/fs0101.htm

Even the anti-gun Clinton administration estimated 1.5 million/year gun defense acts while other sources peg it closer to 2.5 million.

Somehow I doubt you would ever know these figures by watching the big news networks.
You know both those numbers were from polls, right? You know that logic casts serious doubts on those numbers? The 2.5 million is due to a poll of 222 people extrapolated on the whole population. There are police reports for far less than 1% of those. And yes, not all will be reported, but in all these thwarted rapes and assaults, far less than 1 in 1000 report them? Come on mikey.

Edit: And while you seem to know my news watching habits, the reason that number isn't used is because it is bunk

Last edited by Street Pharmacist; 04-13-2012 at 11:46 AM.
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:43 AM   #376
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
See, I can't even begin to understand this sentiment. If I was a student at an institution that allowed concealed weapons, I would in no way feel safe. I would be on edge all the time.

Weapons do not belong in school situations period. Emotions and stress are already high enough without adding that into the pot.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:51 AM   #377
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIMking View Post
http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/articl...NEWS/110819846

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/articl...NEWS/120209873

http://crime.blogs.tuscaloosanews.co...-at-the-links/ (suppose to be a nice upscale apartment complex)

http://crime.blogs.tuscaloosanews.co...-in-northport/

http://crime.blogs.tuscaloosanews.co...spects-sought/

Yeah these thugs are really worried about gun laws huh?

http://crime.blogs.tuscaloosanews.co...traffic-stops/

stolen guns? these must be law abiding citizens

http://crime.blogs.tuscaloosanews.co...ported-stolen/

Also what attitude? That I believe in my second amendment rights? that I choose to carry a pistol legally? I have never had to brandish the weapon, nor do I hope to. I rather have the opportunity to defend myself if it happened. It's not like I can ask the bad guy to stop robbing me or raping my fiance for a few minutes until the cops show up.

I would rather go to some redneck bar in the sticks than walk in downtown Birmingham at night. The stats prove that people that have their permits are less likely to commit a crime or even use the weapon. If you don't want to go to the south you can always go to Chicago, or DC. I'm sure those gun free cities will protect you from robbers and such.

I'm not defending Zimmerman by any means, do ccw holders commit crimes? Yes they do, they just like everyone of us are capable of committing a crime with our without a weapon. I just think that the irrational fear of weapons is weird. That's like me saying every Canadian hockey player is missing half their teeth and are neanderthals because of Steve MacIntyre is a Canadian hockey player. Just because this guy killed a kid because he disobeyed orders from a dispatcher and was getting his ass handed to him doesn't mean that everyone or even a low percentage of us CCW holders are "vigilante" cops.

You do know that can do a citizen arrest here in the states right? With our without a weapon in your possession. So I guess every American is a "vigilante cop".

Please don't paint all ccw holders with such a broad brush. Not every German was a Nazi, nor am I a vigilante cop looking to "pop a cap in someone"

http://alabamaopencarry.com/forum/in...p?topic=3413.0

http://gunfacts.info/pdfs/gun-facts/...6.0-screen.pdf

Good read
Good god. Just because "gunfacts.org" puts "fact" before a number doesn't make it so. All of these "facts" are summarily dismissed by Daniel Webster and Dr. Jens Ludwig

www.bmsg.org/pdfs/myths.pdf
The Following User Says Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2012, 11:57 AM   #378
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Haha ....countering my hyperbole with your own hyperbole....nice.
If only it was hyperbole
Old 04-13-2012, 12:14 PM   #379
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll try my hand at this:

Fact: In 1998 12 women used a handgun in self defense and 1209 were killed by a handgun.

Fact: States with higher gun ownership have significantly higher rates of homicide.

Fact: Using a gun in self defense is no more likely to reduce the chance of being injured during a crime than many non lethal forms of protective action

Fact: After Washington DC enacted a handgun ban, the homicide rate declined by 25%

Fact: The National Academy of Sciences found that states that enacted right-to-carry laws did not in fact have lower crime rates once corrected for other factors

Fact: Having a gun in the home is associated with an increased risk of fatal/nonfatal unintentional shooting, criminal assault or suicide than to be used to injure or kill in self defense

Fact: The US has the highest rate of firearm death in the 25 high income nations

Fact: Firearm death in children aged 5 to 14 is 11 times higher than the other 25 highest income nations

Fact: People with a gun in their home are almost twice as likely to die in gun related violence than those who do not

so yeah, more guns, not less. Great idea.

Though I doubt you would see those numbers on your NRA supported websites you visit mikey

Last edited by Street Pharmacist; 04-13-2012 at 12:16 PM.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2012, 12:20 PM   #380
tussery
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I'm more comfortable with states that allow open carry without loaded ammunition and without magazines (can carry them separately) than I am with concealed carry. That should be a reasonable compromise to all the gun-nuts out there.
Yeah, and there will be plenty of idiots that would do just what you say with open mouth non-retention holsters and make an easy target for a gun theft putting yet another illegal firearm on the streets.

It's a stupid compromise.