Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2011, 05:49 PM   #361
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
So you guys who are buying the tires online: do you just take them into a tire shop for mounting on the rims? What do shops charge just for mounting?
Budget about $25 per tire. More so if you have a TPMS (tire pressure monitoring), but not sure what the price is for that.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:22 PM   #362
flamefan74
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
I would sure like to know how some of you are saving when buying tires online. After I factor in shipping (sites that don't charge shipping have higher prices on the tire), mounting and balancing, there is simply no way I can save versus buying locally.
Maybe it depends on the tire size or the brand? I got a price from tiretrends.com for $589 delivered. The same tires at a local tire shop were $920. Tire trends also gave me a price of $875 delivered with steel rims, mounted and balanced. The local shop was $1275 for the same rims and mounting and balancing. It pays not to shop local for me.

Tire size is 205/55R16.
flamefan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:50 PM   #363
Jackpot_Smooth
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

After looking all summer for winter tire deals and having 1010tires crawfish on an online price, i found that urban expressions here in town to be pretty close to any online price. within about $90 after you factor in about $100 to mount and balance the tires. Plus i won't have to lug them to the shop.
Jackpot_Smooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:20 PM   #364
prarieboy
Late Bloomer

Exp:

Quote:
I would sure like to know how some of you are saving when buying tires online. After I factor in shipping (sites that don't charge shipping have higher prices on the tire), mounting and balancing, there is simply no way I can save versus buying locally.
I just got some tires from 1010tires.com.

Fountain Tire wanted about $2000 installed and I payed $1450 delivered from 1010tires. After that Royal Oak Audi charged me $129 for balancing and install so I saved about $400.
prarieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:54 PM   #365
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by prarieboy View Post
I just got some tires from 1010tires.com.

Fountain Tire wanted about $2000 installed and I payed $1450 delivered from 1010tires. After that Royal Oak Audi charged me $129 for balancing and install so I saved about $400.
$2,000? WTF? Is it a dually with 10 ply tires?
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:58 PM   #366
BagoPucks
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackpot_Smooth View Post
After looking all summer for winter tire deals and having 1010tires crawfish on an online price, i found that urban expressions here in town to be pretty close to any online price. within about $90 after you factor in about $100 to mount and balance the tires. Plus i won't have to lug them to the shop.
+1 for Urban expression
BagoPucks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:11 PM   #367
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Urban Expression was nice and answered all my questions. I ended up getting Nokian WRG2 SUVs which meant Kal-Tire
Old 10-06-2011, 12:06 AM   #368
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy89 View Post
I bought a car this spring that needs the same specs as yours. What did you end up with for Winters? Any place/tires you recommend?
I went with Continental Wintercontact T810 S. I was also considering Nokian Hak R's ($$$) and Pirelli Sotozero 240 Serie II. I would have gotten the Pirellis but they are out of stock indefinitely. Dunlop 3D's only have special tread for the first 40%, so I'd avoid those. Falkens suck. Not too much else for choice out there in that size.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2011, 12:08 AM   #369
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
I've bought tires for a few people in the last few years. Every time but 2 I found them cheaper local, or so close that I went local. This time I saved $400 when you factor in $100 for mount and balance.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:25 AM   #370
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamefan74 View Post
Maybe it depends on the tire size or the brand?
Possible.

I shop around, and outright avoid certain tires stores, fountain tire being one of them. Canadian Tires sometimes has good deals. I bought some tires from Payless Tire a couple of years back, a really small place but they did a fine job of mounting and balancing and I saved a lot of money.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:58 AM   #371
prarieboy
Late Bloomer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
$2,000? WTF? Is it a dually with 10 ply tires?
LOL!! No, Michelin 18" speed rated all seasons.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:46 AM   #372
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkrogan View Post
I've bought tires for a few people in the last few years. Every time but 2 I found them cheaper local, or so close that I went local. This time I saved $400 when you factor in $100 for mount and balance.
I've never found local to be cheaper even with a fleet discount I get at a tire wholesaler. I'm the tire hook-up for a lot of my friends and family and you can save a frack-ton online. Who knows, though, maybe there are exceptions.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:47 AM   #373
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
LOL!! No, Michelin 18" speed rated all seasons.
If you're dropping that much money on tires, why spend it on all seasons?

You can get $1000 summers that will be better in warm temperatures and $1000 winters that will destroy those on snow and ice.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2011, 12:43 PM   #374
prarieboy
Late Bloomer

Exp:

Quote:
If you're dropping that much money on tires, why spend it on all seasons?

You can get $1000 summers that will be better in warm temperatures and $1000 winters that will destroy those on snow and ice.
Mostly laziness I suppose. I don't plan to drive the car in winter unless necessary so I'll live with the reduced performance in both seasons.

I get what your saying though.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:18 PM   #375
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Especially speed rated tires. Are you really going to go fast with all-seasons?
Old 10-06-2011, 02:56 PM   #376
prarieboy
Late Bloomer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackArcher101 View Post
Especially speed rated tires. Are you really going to go fast with all-seasons?
Probably not. I'm not a fast driver by any stretch. There are very few options for All seasons for my car. I don't need extreme peformance in either season so these mesh nicely with my desire to always have a nice looking rim and the fact that I'm too lazy to change/store them.

On another note. If the car manufacturer says your tires should be rated for 280 kph are you allowed to put on tires rated for say 180kph? If so I could have saved a bundle.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:27 PM   #377
rd_aaron
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Try Treadline Tires & Wheels. I was looking at some Continentals on TireRack which came to about $170/tire after shipping. I called Treadline and they had them in stock for $190/tire installed. I was pretty impressed with the service too.
rd_aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 04:09 PM   #378
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
On another note. If the car manufacturer says your tires should be rated for 280 kph are you allowed to put on tires rated for say 180kph? If so I could have saved a bundle.
Absolutely. They have to match tires to the top speed/governer of the vehicle for liability reasons, you don't.

If you put tires rated for 180, just don't drive faster

Do you mind if I ask what kind of car? The only Audis I can think of capable of 280 are the R8, S6 and maybe the S4. Putting all seasons on any of those makes me
Old 10-06-2011, 04:22 PM   #379
the-rasta-masta
First Line Centre

Exp:

Seeing as this thread is relevant, I am selling a set of brand new Blizzak winter tires on BMW wheels right now if anybody is looking for a good deal. Tell me your from Calgarypuck and I'll let them go for $700.

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ306554855
the-rasta-masta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 06:54 PM   #380
prarieboy
Late Bloomer

Exp:

Quote:
Absolutely. They have to match tires to the top speed/governer of the vehicle for liability reasons, you don't.

If you put tires rated for 180, just don't drive faster

Do you mind if I ask what kind of car? The only Audis I can think of capable of 280 are the R8, S6 and maybe the S4. Putting all seasons on any of those makes me
It's an A6. The Speedometer goes to 280kph. I haven't had it to that speed and I won't say here how fast I've driven it but it does go.

For me it's a family sedan for criusing around town and a great ride on the highway. Performance summer tires just don't make sense since I drive like a, well, the 46 year old guy I am.