Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 08:45 AM   #361
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
5th overall+ dvorak+ Fischer or the coyotes can suck a lemon.

Dvorak and Fischer are interesting prospects but they're nothing special. Not first round picks and not showing too terribly much so far in the NHL. The 5th overall is a lottery ticket. Meanwhile dougie is an established top pair d. No way we make a trade for less than this.
The only way we make a trade for less than that is if Dougie has made it known he'd prefer to play with his brother. That potentially could be a thing. i dont think it is, but it's possible.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:46 AM   #362
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hamilton for B.Tkachuk doesn’t make sense but he is also the only piece I can see the Flames moving that would allow them to acquire him. I don’t see how the Flames can subtract Hamilton without a sure fire top 3 forward joining the team immediately.

I don’t know who else the Yotes could add that makes any sense. Galchenyuk? Dvorak? Strome? Non of those players + Brady (who probably doesn’t play in the nhl next year) will not improve this team.

The Coyotes coveted Hamilton a couple of years ago (lead to the rumors where Burke said they would never trade Dougie because he skates like a deer). He then claimed Freddie on waivers which could have been a favor or could have been his plan.

Trading Dougie for prospects and picks clears $5.75M in cap space which would give the Flames $18.25M to play with (likely more with the cap going up) scary to think Treliving would improve the top 6 via free agency which would require huge term and money overpayments to a Neal or JVR.

Brady Tkachuk would be an awesome add I just don’t see a Hamilton deal for him that makes the Flames better right away.

Hamilton+Bennett
For
5OA (Tkachuk)+Hjalmmerson+Strome

Brodie+Jankowski
For
RoR

????
Old 06-20-2018, 08:51 AM   #363
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by goflamesgo18 View Post
Replacing hamilton with hjalmarsson is a downgrade but gives brodie an opportunity on the top pairig with gio again and could work out well. Plus you get to draft a guy like Tkachuk.

Also Valimaki, Andersson, Kylington are all close to ready.
I would say adding Hjalmmerson would allow the Flames to move Brodie in a separate trade for a top 6 forward.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:55 AM   #364
Royle9
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If the Flames are stupid enough to trade Dougie to Arizona for the 5thOA then I'd hope to Christ they wouldn't burn the pick on Brady. I'd be more inclined to go:

CGY: Dougie Hamilton + B level prospect (Bennett/Jankowski) -

to

ARZ: 5thOA, Christian Fischer (RHS RW) + Dvorak or Strome

Then I'd be using the 5th pick to draft Zadina (if he falls) or Wahlstrom which is touted as the dynamic offensive scoring machine of the draft, his release is already NHL ready and I can see him being the next Patrick Laine.

Losing Dougie would be an immediate impact, but you've then just strengthened your right side long term while gaining a potential franchise scoring RW.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Wahlstrom
Takchuk - Dvorak/Strome - Fischer
Ferland - Backlund - Frolik

Last edited by Royle9; 06-20-2018 at 09:20 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Royle9 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2018, 09:09 AM   #365
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

geez, you'd think that we currently had one young Sedin twin and needed the other in order to maximize their powers. if this guy was the exact same player but named Brady Smith, how hot of a take would that be to suggest giving up Dougie for him on morning radio?
Old 06-20-2018, 09:15 AM   #366
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
geez, you'd think that we currently had one young Sedin twin and needed the other in order to maximize their powers. if this guy was the exact same player but named Brady Smith, how hot of a take would that be to suggest giving up Dougie for him on morning radio?
Yeah it doesn’t make sense for where the team is at. If Brady Smith was a top
5 pick projected to be a mean power forward then he would be an intriguing piece if that is what the Flames wanted.

At this stage they need a top line right wing or another scoring center. Moving Hamilton for a prospect eliminates the best asset to acquire that piece.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:18 AM   #367
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Big fan of Matthew Tkachuk, and I’m sure his brother will do well. But I wouldn’t like the idea of having two 20 & 18 year old brothers as part of the leadership group on the team. Let Matthew do his thing, his bro can play elsewhere.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2018, 09:21 AM   #368
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe they can just get Brady to come here as a college UFA. He is already entering his 2nd season at BU. Just two more seasons after this season. Get that education Brady, it is worth it.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:31 AM   #369
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Maybe they can just get Brady to come here as a college UFA. He is already entering his 2nd season at BU. Just two more seasons after this season. Get that education Brady, it is worth it.
I may be wrong, but I think it is draft year + 4 even if they graduate after the third. Meaning he would be one of the least likely to pull that move.
Old 06-20-2018, 11:06 AM   #370
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Major View Post
I may be wrong, but I think it is draft year + 4 even if they graduate after the third. Meaning he would be one of the least likely to pull that move.
This is correct. The only way Brady Tkachuk makes it from college to unrestricted free agency is if he is drafted by the Oilers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 06-20-2018, 11:16 AM   #371
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Major View Post
Incorrect. An unsigned College draft pick can become a UFA on August 15 following the completion of his senior year.

Quote:
If a Player drafted at age 18 or 19 is a bona fide college student at the time of his selection in the Entry Draft, or becomes a bona fide college student prior to the first June 1 following his selection in the Entry Draft, and remains a bona fide college student through the graduation of his college class, his drafting Club shall retain the exclusive right of negotiation for his services through and including the August 15 following the graduation of his college class. The Club need not make a Bona Fide Offer to such Player to retain such rights.
Old 06-20-2018, 11:29 AM   #372
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Nah, I still don't have much respect for players who do that. If he is drafted by a team, then go freaking play for that team and don't screw them over.
The Following User Says Thank You to keenan87 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2018, 11:46 AM   #373
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Big fan of Matthew Tkachuk, and I’m sure his brother will do well. But I wouldn’t like the idea of having two 20 & 18 year old brothers as part of the leadership group on the team. Let Matthew do his thing, his bro can play elsewhere.
I don't see the issue. The reason people consider Matthew a leader is because he is. You can't put an age on leadership. When I was 18 I had the same mentality, and in my work force I had a lot of sway over my much older co workers. Saying that I don't necessarily want to trade for Brady.
Old 06-20-2018, 11:48 AM   #374
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahan For Mayor View Post
I don't see the issue. The reason people consider Matthew a leader is because he is. You can't put an age on leadership. When I was 18 I had the same mentality, and in my work force I had a lot of sway over my much older co workers. Saying that I don't necessarily want to trade for Brady.
My point was allowing him to be a leader without bringing in his brother. That would add a whole other dynamic to it. Positive or negative is all speculation. But I’m comfortable with the Tkachuk situation we currently have.
Old 06-20-2018, 12:01 PM   #375
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol, some people scold at Hamilton for Ma. Stone but are all for Hamilton for B. Tkachuk+.
Old 06-20-2018, 12:04 PM   #376
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Incorrect. An unsigned College draft pick can become a UFA on August 15 following the completion of his senior year.
Thanks. I think it is fair to reiterate this essential point:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
...The only way Brady Tkachuk makes it from college to unrestricted free agency is if he is drafted by the Oilers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2018, 12:29 PM   #377
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Anyone listening to 960 right now? Kerr & Boomer discussing trade possibilities this weekend, spitballing, but Boomer saying he has heard the Flames covet Brady Tkachuk (not a surprise) but then they hint at Dougie moving to obtain the draft pick that could get Brady.

Obviously pure speculation, but not sure I'd like that.
Hamilton is a top 2 Dman on any team for probably the next 10 years, Tkachuk by all accounts/stats/scouting is a 2nd line power forward at best. anyone who thinks he has the vision, hockey IQ and creativity of his brother hasn't watched him enough.

Beyond stupid to trade Hamilton for Brady Tkachuk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2018, 12:33 PM   #378
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
Lol, some people scold at Hamilton for Ma. Stone but are all for Hamilton for B. Tkachuk+.
Hamilton + Bennett

For

Stone + 4th overall

?
Old 06-20-2018, 12:40 PM   #379
flamesgod
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

What about going all out with Ottawa. Try and land Karlsson and Stone.
To Cgy: Karlsson, Stone
To Ott: Hamilton, Frolik, Fox, Eat Bread, Gillies. Something along those lines. I feel like Hamilton holds more value than Stone. But obviously need to give up a fair bit to get Karlsson on top of that.
Then I’d look to move Brodie in a package for picks prospects, or a young forward.
Old 06-20-2018, 12:46 PM   #380
Royle9
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesgod View Post
What about going all out with Ottawa. Try and land Karlsson and Stone.
To Cgy: Karlsson, Stone
To Ott: Hamilton, Frolik, Fox, Eat Bread, Gillies. Something along those lines. I feel like Hamilton holds more value than Stone. But obviously need to give up a fair bit to get Karlsson on top of that.
Then I’d look to move Brodie in a package for picks prospects, or a young forward.
Would be fun to see, but I'm not sure we're giving up enough with just what's listed above. Would probably have to include next years 1st as we're getting the better players hands down.

Karlsson > Hamilton = debatable but most GM's would probably agree
Stone > Frolik
The rest are unproven assets at this point.
Closed Thread