Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2024, 10:37 PM   #361
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

The Sora stuff is so impressive and sexy, but it’s the Google announcement of high token numbers and accuracy that will make a much larger impact imo. Once we crack the low content limit and accuracy issues, things will get pretty intense. And that’s not even accounting for the coming swarm of agents.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 11:57 PM   #362
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

More Sora

Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2024, 10:05 PM   #363
jerichozo
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I thought the stuff AI "created" was derivative and stupid, until a work colleague asked it to make a script about our office and he was cackling about how funny it was. After that I had no faith left in humanity anymore.
jerichozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 10:46 AM   #364
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichozo View Post
I thought the stuff AI "created" was derivative and stupid, until a work colleague asked it to make a script about our office and he was cackling about how funny it was. After that I had no faith left in humanity anymore.
The reason it's often derivative and stupid is because it's usually being generated by derivative and stupid people. It's often said that AI generated images have a "look," but a quick sweep through a large collection of random MidJourney images, and you'll see when people get creative, many of the outputs would never be recognized as AI at all.
Old 02-20-2024, 01:57 PM   #365
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1759176596030968254
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2024, 12:20 AM   #366
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

https://torontosun.com/news/world/go...ccurate-images

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1760682999736414479

This is some interesting AI.

Ok. It made me laugh a bit. I have had a couple beers.

Have a great weekend everyone, hope you are all well!!
Old 02-24-2024, 01:32 AM   #367
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Podcasts are killing radio
AI will edge out any stock graphic/art providers

At least one day I'll have the last laugh over shutterstock.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2024, 08:08 AM   #368
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorfever View Post
https://torontosun.com/news/world/go...ccurate-images

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1760682999736414479

This is some interesting AI.

Ok. It made me laugh a bit. I have had a couple beers.

Have a great weekend everyone, hope you are all well!!
I'm really looking forward to the day when the word woke goes out of style for stupid people. Can we speed it up somehow?
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2024, 09:01 AM   #369
Leeman4Gilmour
First Line Centre

Exp:

https://humanaigc.github.io/emote-portrait-alive/

EMO - Portrait Alive. Taking images and generating videos. Advancement curve is getting close to vertical on this stuff
Leeman4Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Leeman4Gilmour For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2024, 12:57 PM   #370
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeman4Gilmour View Post
https://humanaigc.github.io/emote-portrait-alive/

EMO - Portrait Alive. Taking images and generating videos. Advancement curve is getting close to vertical on this stuff
Joaquin Phoenix doing the Ledger joker on that page is a bit of a trip.
Old 03-01-2024, 01:31 PM   #371
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think that AI will save live theatre.
Folks will crave watching real people perform.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 11:19 AM   #372
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
I think that AI will save live theatre.
Folks will crave watching real people perform.
I actually wonder how far this effect will travel, because I think you're right. In a world where human expression is made more rare, it should become more valuable.

Then again, it could be like CGI in movies. Comparatively we're in the 90s of CGI... Jurassic Park was amazing but for the most part it ruins things when not done well. Nowadays most CGI blends into the background and you don't even notice. Perhaps we get to a point where the line between a novel written by an AI and a person becomes so faint we can't tell the difference?
Old 03-04-2024, 12:00 PM   #373
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
Perhaps we get to a point where the line between a novel written by an AI and a person becomes so faint we can't tell the difference?
We could be there now. There's a ton of ghostwritten crap books on the market that people lap up because they enjoy them, not because they are great works of art. The majority of people would be hard-pressed to define what makes a great novel outside of their personal preferences. Apart from any obvious grammatical errors or glaring structure and plot issues, I'm confident AI could write credible novels today. At least Harlequin romances and the like.

Ever notice how many books by James Patterson there are in an airport kiosk at any one time? He writes the outline then has an army of ghost-writers who may as well be AI.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 01:00 PM   #374
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
We could be there now. There's a ton of ghostwritten crap books on the market that people lap up because they enjoy them, not because they are great works of art. The majority of people would be hard-pressed to define what makes a great novel outside of their personal preferences. Apart from any obvious grammatical errors or glaring structure and plot issues, I'm confident AI could write credible novels today. At least Harlequin romances and the like.

Ever notice how many books by James Patterson there are in an airport kiosk at any one time? He writes the outline then has an army of ghost-writers who may as well be AI.
I think there was an article talking about scripted TV suggesting about 6% had signs of AI in 2022. Soap Opera type television could easily be written by AI with no detectable loss in quality.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2024, 01:01 PM   #375
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Asked Chat GPT to go over a job description and conduct a mock interview with me in a 'turn by turn' style and then provide feedback.

The feedback was pretty bland, but the questions were surprisingly on point.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Torture For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2024, 04:28 PM   #376
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post

I'd say we're at a point where we could fool a lot of people, but maybe not quite to where it could produce something likely to catch on. Fluff that Patterson or Dan Brown churn out get scoffed at by literary folks, but there's no denying people are drawn to them. I haven't seen anything from AI on that level yet, but I expect it soon.

Dealing with high volumes of text still trips it up, but what Google recently announced shows incredible text amounts and very low errors. Once we can get to a point where it can hold a couple novels worth of material in memory and work off it, we should see some enormously interesting things.
Old 03-04-2024, 05:02 PM   #377
wireframe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
Asked Chat GPT to go over a job description and conduct a mock interview with me in a 'turn by turn' style and then provide feedback.

The feedback was pretty bland, but the questions were surprisingly on point.
This is more of an indictment of the corporate interview process than anything. If every company is asking the same boring questions and candidates are preparing for those questions, what's the point of this exercise? It certainly doesn't tell you if they'd be good at the job or not.

This is my view with most of these chat bot applications. They're great at making easier the stuff that you shouldn't have to do in the first place. A shortcut through the bureaucracy. In a few years you'll have the hr department using chatGPT to compose an email based on bullet points and all the employees using chatGPT to summarize the email into bulletpoints to read. Crappy, high tech game of telephone.

Last edited by wireframe; 03-04-2024 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Formatting
wireframe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wireframe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2024, 09:04 AM   #378
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

My buddy had an interesting use case when he was prepping for an interview. He read the website as much as he could, but he's also dyslexic, so he more scanned it. By putting in several of the webpages and having chat analyze them, he was able to use the voice feature to have it speak back to him some key takeaways that he definitely missed.

Many seem to be missing that one extra step that helps 10x the process. Instead of "help me prep for an interview at a wholesale distributor", it needs to be "help me prep for an interview at _this_ wholesale distributor."
Old 03-11-2024, 12:19 AM   #379
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Photo agencies are refusing to publish a portrait of Kate Middleton with her children over concerns it was manipulated

https://www.businessinsider.com/kate...ication-2024-3

There's either some bad Photoshop done to this photo or it's A.I. generated. There are theories that Kate's poor health is being covered up, and this doesn't help.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C4U_IqTN...dvMXpoemQ5eQ==
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 05:27 AM   #380
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

And it begins. This was predicated years ago that ai generated photos/videos would change the world as we knew it, as society would lose the ability to know what's real or not.

We're officially stepping into that world as we speak.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
they will overtake us