Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2022, 09:38 AM   #361
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
hence the waiver
Right, because there would be no public outrage when CBC showed an old lady with a broken sewer line under her trailer and the city response is "she signed a waiver.".

This thread is literally proof that sympathy trumps legal rights for many people.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2022, 09:48 AM   #362
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
Right, because there would be no public outrage when CBC showed an old lady with a broken sewer line under her trailer and the city response is "she signed a waiver.".

This thread is literally proof that sympathy trumps legal rights for many people.
Yup. It would have been a gongshow death spiral of pit of tax payer money on non-mobile "mobile" homes.

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...lmighty-dollar

“You don’t understand, that was like a civil war; They didn’t use machine guns, they used machines.”

She said her Midfield trailer should have been “home for life,"

He says his current home is “no different” from the one torn down by the city in Midfield, adding the current market value of his new trailer is $110,000 — a far cry from the $10,000 he was given by the city a year ago.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 09:50 AM   #363
OptimalTates
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post

And as they are now nearing the marketing stage imagine the salespitch.

"This is prime location looking over a golf course, right next to 16th Ave and on the Nose Hill Creek bike and pedestrian pathway for you to construct a mixed-use complex that could house any number of retail or commercial shops with foot and vehicle traffic in the inner-city..."

"Sounds like a dream"

"....all you have to do is sign here and you'll attach your name to the eviction of a couple dozen low-income retirees and we'll bring in the riot police to beat them out of their homes as quickly as possible"
OptimalTates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 09:53 AM   #364
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

personally, i am a little surprised that the re-development of the area has taken this long.

are there not some properties in the area that would be on a ridge? granted the view from the ridge is not as "nice" as other areas. And the area is close to downtown - but maybe that no longer holds the sway it used to.
Old 05-09-2022, 09:54 AM   #365
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't wait until they build so I can purchase a luxury unit with unobstructed views of Deerfoot.
Old 05-09-2022, 09:56 AM   #366
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
hence the waiver
“City Bullies Poor People Into Signing Waiver for Housing with Decrepit Utilities”.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 09:56 AM   #367
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimalTates View Post
And as they are now nearing the marketing stage imagine the salespitch.

"This is prime location looking over a golf course, right next to 16th Ave and on the Nose Hill Creek bike and pedestrian pathway for you to construct a mixed-use complex that could house any number of retail or commercial shops with foot and vehicle traffic in the inner-city..."

"Sounds like a dream"

"....all you have to do is sign here and you'll attach your name to the eviction of a couple dozen low-income retirees and we'll bring in the riot police to beat them out of their homes as quickly as possible"
Oh I think you could sell tickets to that. Set up tables and serve drinks.

Dinner and a show!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 09:58 AM   #368
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
I can't wait until they build so I can purchase a luxury unit with unobstructed views of Deerfoot.
You can sit on your patio and do some plane spotting as well.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 10:05 AM   #369
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
You can sit on your patio and do some plane spotting as well.
That's a potential draw to the area!
Lubicon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 10:06 AM   #370
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
That's a potential draw to the area!
Also it's only a 5 minute drive to the popular resort town of Airdrie.
Old 05-09-2022, 10:24 AM   #371
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Also it's only a 5 minute drive to the popular resort town of Airdrie.
You can go to the Boston Pizza or the Mr. Mike's!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2022, 10:26 AM   #372
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

If you like vinyl siding and neck tattoos, I don't see how it gets better than Airdrie.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2022, 10:39 AM   #373
OptimalTates
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
personally, i am a little surprised that the re-development of the area has taken this long.

are there not some properties in the area that would be on a ridge? granted the view from the ridge is not as "nice" as other areas. And the area is close to downtown - but maybe that no longer holds the sway it used to.
I think that maybe a year or so was added due to public engagement as they held open houses, surveys, and the like to set their guiding principles around their development plans. That's probably something that a true private developer would have avoided or at least condensed.

But otherwise, despite seemingly being on schedule even with any COVID delays, I think they ran into some of the same issues many developers would have.

After more advanced preliminary engineering, they had to alter plans due to the slope stability. If you ever go on the pathway to the south of it on the hill is the development but immediately north the slope had a pretty good mud-slide (probably a better term there but not sure what) in the last couple years that resulted in some plastic fencing and some warning signs put up.

They ran into issues with the concept plan incorporating the feedback they received from the engagement due to the draft redevelopment plans calling for higher density (similar to the DQ in the area) and then just random issues with things like fire response and transit access that required the the concept plan to be altered. Again, I assume this wouldn't be completely different than a private developer.

But they got the concept plan approved and are now should be getting into the stage where they are planning and constructing the required infrastructure (streets, sidewalks, etc.) and should hopefully be able to market and construct as planned in 2023.

Does seem like a long time from the 2018 evictions, but this wasn't like bulldozing a house and putting in a new infill. It was closer to designing and planning for a new community
Old 05-09-2022, 11:15 AM   #374
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I can't tell if you're joking or not, but you actually can't. The City has chosen to build townhouses as the most "luxury" type of housing on this development (which is the lots that overlook Deerfoot), along with many low/mid-rise condos and other building types designed to be affordable - especially on such a prime piece of land.

It could easily have been turned into a luxury subdivision with a number of high value mansions in inner city, but the city chose to develop a more accessible inner city community which I think is a commendable route.
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 12:07 PM   #375
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
If you like vinyl siding and neck tattoos, I don't see how it gets better than Airdrie.
If you like neck tattoo's Red Deer is the place to be!!!
Old 05-09-2022, 12:13 PM   #376
Krovikan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post

I don't mind this one TBH, it's unfortunate the project was not finished.
I agree, every time I drive by it I wish it was finished, stupid anti-art Karens.
Krovikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 12:20 PM   #377
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krovikan View Post
I agree, every time I drive by it I wish it was finished, stupid anti-art Karens.
Those are finished. They just didn’t do the earthwork to make Hummucks which wouldn’t have really added anything. It was alsways planned to look like leftover piles.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 12:21 PM   #378
OptimalTates
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krovikan View Post
Those are finished.
Old 05-09-2022, 12:24 PM   #379
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

They were supposed to put a matching set on the north side that never happened, so it's technically only half finished. As far as art goes, it's a pretty weak effort.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 12:26 PM   #380
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Bowfort towers are gorgeous, close second to the Big Blue Ring. Earthworks may have vaulted them to first place.
puckedoff is online now   Reply With Quote