Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2023, 08:55 AM   #361
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
As someone who has several of both, I am inclined to agree.

1 dog is more work than 3 cats. 3 cats are way more rewarding than 1 dog.
The biggest difference is that for cats, you can leave all day. For a dog, you have to come home and let them out every 3-6 hours.
With that many animals scampering around your house, does your home kinda stink?
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 09:11 AM   #362
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Dogs are the best. I have a border collie. We do agility and sheep herding. Cross country skiing. Hiking. Walks. He comes basically everywhere and is an amazing companion.

I’m allergic to cats so never had one but also never understood why you’d want one.
Border collie is an amazing dog. They are the #1 brightest dog https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Intelligence_of_Dogs They are practically a human friend.

But the fine print is that they require tons of activity, and most people don't have space and/or are lazy. They also shed like a mother ####er. And eat like a mother ####er. And #### like a mother ####er. Lots of maintenence around those mother ####ers.

But they are my favorite dog. Shetland is a close 2nd.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2023, 09:11 AM   #363
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
I like other people's dogs, but would never have one myself. I find them gross to have around the house. Just not my thing. Hearing stories of cleaning up dog diarrhea or dog puke does not sound fun to me at all, and is not worth the tradeoff of the good things of having a dog IMO.
I'm in the same boat. Better to own a friend with a dog rather than owning a dog.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 09:12 AM   #364
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

The time and resource commitments of having a dog is another big negative to me. Even something as simple as going to a Flames game after work is just hassles, as often I've seen people drive from downtown back to their house to let their dog out, and then drive back into downtown for the game. That sounds like such a pain.

And don't get me started on dog hotels during vacations. $70 a night for a dog hotel? That could pay for a chunk of your hotel stay.

And this is before vet bills. Pets just seem like a time and money pit to me. At least with kids, they eventually become self sufficient, and won't poop on your carpet.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 09:12 AM   #365
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I realize what I'm about to say will be so foreign to some people they'll think I'm trolling, but since I've actually done this on three occasions that I can think of off the top of my head, it is genuine. If you wouldn't do it again on owning both a cat and a dog, and the dog makes life a little harder to enjoy, why don't you just surrender them to the SPCA? They could be out of your life an hour from now and you'll never have to look back.
Oh this is about to get real fun.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 09:28 AM   #366
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
Oh this is about to get real fun.
Everyone is used to his animals are disposable mentality.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 09:33 AM   #367
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Everyone is used to his animals are disposable mentality.
Not disposable, but if they're actively taking away from your life versus giving you something that enriches your life, you need to make the practical choice.

It would be one thing if we were all vegetarians or something, but, I mean, I ate a burger on Sunday night and I had a salad with ham on it for supper yesterday. There was pork in the stew we made on Saturday. Had milk on my Shreddies this morning. Hardboiled eggs in my lunch today. The shoes I'm wearing are leather. We're fataing brutal to animals in our culture. Handing off a couple animals to the SPCA where they could potentially be re-homed (but admittedly, probably won't be) is hardly anything to get worked up about or feel bad about unless you don't eat meat or use animal products. Otherwise...glass houses and such.
Old 01-31-2023, 09:34 AM   #368
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Cats are 100 times better in every measurable way, no debate needed, end thread.
You need a cat dog like a Shiba Inu!
Old 01-31-2023, 09:45 AM   #369
Scornfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
why don't you just surrender them to the SPCA?
The SPCA doesn't exist to bail people out of their poor life planning, it's a non profit dedicated to rescuing and rehabilitating animals who are in abusive situations. It's LITERALLY the "Society for the PREVENTION OF CRUELTY TO ANIMALS", #### every single one of the clowns who comes in to surrender "because my girlfriend doesn't like him sleeping on our bed" or other similar bull#### reasons, I'd beat the #### out of every single one of them on sight if it wouldn't get me banned from volunteering. Should all be on a ####ing public registry and banned from owning animals for the rest of their lives
Scornfire is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scornfire For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2023, 09:53 AM   #370
Dentoman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Border collie is an amazing dog. They are the #1 brightest dog https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Intelligence_of_Dogs They are practically a human friend.

But the fine print is that they require tons of activity, and most people don't have space and/or are lazy. They also shed like a mother ####er. And eat like a mother ####er. And #### like a mother ####er. Lots of maintenence around those mother ####ers.

But they are my favorite dog. Shetland is a close 2nd.
From the link .... no issue with a border collie at number one but Australian Shepherd at 42 is just wrong, lol
You can get working dogs that have a low work drive. You just have to find the right breeder who will match the pups personality/drive/activity to your family situation. I have an Australian shepherd who is just as happy to sleep all day as she is to run all day. Never destructive. Can be left alone for 6-8 hours with no issues. Just a great dog .... but it definitely took some training to get there which is often overlooked (any dog requires training, however).
The herding/protective instinct is both a blessing and a curse however. You need to be knowledgeable on the training required for a herding dog for sure.
Dentoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 09:54 AM   #371
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scornfire View Post
The SPCA doesn't exist to bail people out of their poor life planning, it's a non profit dedicated to rescuing and rehabilitating animals who are in abusive situations. It's LITERALLY the "Society for the PREVENTION OF CRUELTY TO ANIMALS", #### every single one of the clowns who comes in to surrender "because my girlfriend doesn't like him sleeping on our bed" or other similar bull#### reasons, I'd beat the #### out of every single one of them on sight if it wouldn't get me banned from volunteering. Should all be on a ####ing public registry and banned from owning animals for the rest of their lives
Good lord, settle yourself down.

I think you have totally misunderstood the breadth of service the SPCA provides. This is straight from their site:
Quote:
We know that surrendering a pet is a heartbreaking decision that is not chosen lightly. Our caring animal admissions staff will support you and your pet throughout the surrender by explaining the process, collecting vital information for future adopters, and respecting your right to confidentiality. We will ask for information about you and your pet during the surrender process, including identification.
It's not like they only help animals who are victims of cruelty. They help people do their best to surrender their pet if they can no longer care for it or if they're no longer willing to care for it.

If you are in a new human relationship with a woman and she doesn't want to share her bed with a dog, it's totally reasonable of her and may require a re-homing. You don't prioritize a dog over the woman you love. Did you mean to write that? What an odd perspective.

Again, relaaxxxx.
Old 01-31-2023, 10:05 AM   #372
Scornfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Good lord, settle yourself down.

I think you have totally misunderstood the breadth of service the SPCA provides. This is straight from their site:

It's not like they only help animals who are victims of cruelty. They help people do their best to surrender their pet if they can no longer care for it or if they're no longer willing to care for it.

If you are in a new human relationship with a woman and she doesn't want to share her bed with a dog, it's totally reasonable of her and may require a re-homing. You don't prioritize a dog over the woman you love. Did you mean to write that? What an odd perspective.

Again, relaaxxxx.
Not being ABLE to care for an animal is not synonymous with getting tired/annoyed with it you absolute wad
Old 01-31-2023, 10:10 AM   #373
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Not being ABLE to care for an animal is not synonymous with getting tired/annoyed with it you absolute wad
Boy you sure like to yell, eh?

It's not up to you to gatekeep what constitutes a good enough reason to surrender an animal. If they are negatively affecting your life, that's enough IMO. You require a higher threshold of discomfort before it would trigger a surrender? Okay, you do you. I won't yell at you lol.

If you had a rat problem in your house, would you think twice about eliminating it? Of course not...animals can be nuisances - even highly intelligent ones.

At least recognize you've just been socialized to like dogs more than other animals, but there is nothing objective other than that to elevate them beyond other animals you'd happily kill to keep their filth out of your house.
Old 01-31-2023, 10:11 AM   #374
Scornfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Boy you sure like to yell, eh?

It's not up to you to gatekeep what constitutes a good enough reason to surrender an animal. If they are negatively affecting your life, that's enough IMO. You require a higher threshold of discomfort before it would trigger a surrender? Okay, you do you. I won't yell at you lol.

If you had a rat problem in your house, would you think twice about eliminating it? Of course not...animals can be nuisances - even highly intelligent ones.

At least recognize you've just been socialized to like dogs more than other animals, but there is nothing objective other than that to elevate them beyond other animals you'd happily kill to keep their filth out of your house.
If you bring them into your home of your own accord and make that commitment, be it rat or dog, you can earnestly go eat a brick if you think throwing them away for any old reason is just fine and dandy.
Old 01-31-2023, 10:13 AM   #375
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
If you bring them into your home of your own accord and make that commitment, be it rat or dog, you can earnestly go eat a brick if you think throwing them away for any old reason is just fine and dandy.
Agreed, throwing them away would be terrible.
Old 01-31-2023, 10:17 AM   #376
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If you are in a new human relationship with a woman and she doesn't want to share her bed with a dog, it's totally reasonable of her and may require a re-homing. You don't prioritize a dog over the woman you love. Did you mean to write that? What an odd perspective
Been in that situation, ditched the girl kept the dog
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2023, 10:29 AM   #377
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I realize what I'm about to say will be so foreign to some people they'll think I'm trolling, but since I've actually done this on three occasions that I can think of off the top of my head, it is genuine. If you wouldn't do it again on owning both a cat and a dog, and the dog makes life a little harder to enjoy, why don't you just surrender them to the SPCA? They could be out of your life an hour from now and you'll never have to look back.
Oh I know. So the cat in particular is an issue. Some idiot (in this conversation!) gave it to my daughter for her 5th birthday. There was an "opportunity" for it to go live on a farm a few years ago and I couldn't do it. I know that cat wouldn't survive and frankly it would be a death sentence. So, unless it's immortal, I will wait it out.

The dog, well I love that little guy. I'm not looking forward to the day he eventually passes, because I'm going to be shattered!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2023, 10:51 AM   #378
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Once I get, but how does it take you three times to realize that you don't like animals and are being a dick by getting one.
Bonded is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bonded For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2023, 10:54 AM   #379
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Wouldn't get to the point of love. I wouldn't rehome my dog for a new relationship. The only one that would do it for me is if a newborn was seriously allergic to a dog.
Bonded is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 11:18 AM   #380
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
That's dumb.
Dogs are masters at judging character that's why you hate them.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote