Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2022, 03:11 PM   #3741
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
It was definitely a buy options when it dropped. Its a hard decision as even if it has good fundamentals, market thoughts could cause swings on a stock like this. Even now I don't know whether it will go up or down once they start an ad based stream and crack down on sharing.

maybe as for next like a netflix stock, it is all the tech stock that is knocked down and has better valuations, I hate to say it, but a stock like Meta could be something to look at even though nobody really likes them now (maybe because no one likes them).
Even if I agreed, I just couldn't do it. But I think they have a lot more pain to roll through. Where is the upside? The Metaverse is not going to be a thing, so new products are questionable for revenue.

The youths have no interest in it, growth has really slowed(and does anyone really believe 3.84 billion people are monthly active users? Half the Earth's population? Sounds suspicious. So growth is out.

It seems they've maximized advertising dollars, so not much there...I just don't know where an upside is.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 03:58 PM   #3742
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Even if I agreed, I just couldn't do it. But I think they have a lot more pain to roll through. Where is the upside? The Metaverse is not going to be a thing, so new products are questionable for revenue.

The youths have no interest in it, growth has really slowed(and does anyone really believe 3.84 billion people are monthly active users? Half the Earth's population? Sounds suspicious. So growth is out.

It seems they've maximized advertising dollars, so not much there...I just don't know where an upside is.
I mean, I don't own them but there are 3 really obvious levers they could pull to increase profits.

1) stop spending on metaverse. That would lower expenses massively and the market is giving them 0 credit for it working.

2) monetize Instagram

3) monetize whatsapp
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2022, 04:38 PM   #3743
Tiger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
I mean, I don't own them but there are 3 really obvious levers they could pull to increase profits.

1) stop spending on metaverse. That would lower expenses massively and the market is giving them 0 credit for it working.

2) monetize Instagram

3) monetize whatsapp
Even just cutting headcount would increase profit margins
Old 10-24-2022, 04:48 PM   #3744
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
Even just cutting headcount would increase profit margins
Ya, they just announced that a month ago

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-restructuring

The stock jumped a bit on the news, but is back down. Cutting the metaverse? That might actually move it a bit. I don't even know how you spend $100 billion on what is essentially a piece of software(they already have the hardware). That's a lot of developers.
Old 10-24-2022, 08:00 PM   #3745
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you're craving large cap tech, MSFT looks better to me. Their cloud offerings are hot and should only grow when IPO's come back. Dynamics is a great small cap offering.

Netflix at today's price makes much more sense than Meta too IMO. I just don't see anything with Meta that screams long term value and not going to buy based on hope they radically change their plans.

But honestly I still want to know what is next for Fuzz after nailing Netflix timing. This time I want to know as you're doing it, not six months later.

As for me, I added some UNH this month. Seems like it will ride out this uncertainty fairly well with a little dividend kicker.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 06:38 AM   #3746
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well next time I plan on throwing some money away, I'll let you know and you can join in. And I don't think I nailed the timing. I would have been better waiting for it to drop more, which it did.
Old 10-26-2022, 02:56 PM   #3747
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Definitely not a great day for Meta. Missed earnings, and currently down 12%+ after hours.

Instead of wasting billions on the metaverse, it would probably be a better use of money lobbying the US government to ban TikTok.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2022, 03:21 PM   #3748
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

AMZN is tanking ~15% in after hours dragging down other stocks with it. Can someone explain why a current TWTR shareholder would sell today? Don't we simply get the buyout price? Or is selling a move to defer taxes?
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 04:19 PM   #3749
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

The FAANGs are definitely having a rough time right now. Good thing at least Apple had ok, if not necessarily great, earnings today, otherwise it would be even worse. Even so, I wonder if this will be the catalyst for that final move down...these stocks are in pretty much everyone's portfolios and a huge part of the index.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 04:26 PM   #3750
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
AMZN is tanking ~15% in after hours dragging down other stocks with it. Can someone explain why a current TWTR shareholder would sell today? Don't we simply get the buyout price? Or is selling a move to defer taxes?
I'm not sure how it works, maybe there is a delay for when the sale goes through? You take a small haircut on the price, but get your money now.
Old 10-27-2022, 04:59 PM   #3751
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It was down 20+ right after they announced.

Will be interesting to see what they open at tomorrow.

I don't own any tech outside of index ETFs, but a good friend has made a ton of cash playing options before earnings.
Old 10-27-2022, 05:10 PM   #3752
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The majority of Twitter shares are in the hands of merger arbs right now, many of whom are sitting on huge profits. These are funds that try and earn low volatility, low correlation-to-the-market returns. In a year where the averages are down big one big win has the potential to make your year, and make fund raising next year easy. Locking that in just in case Elon does something insane in the next couple of days makes sense for that constituency.
Old 10-27-2022, 06:15 PM   #3753
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
I don't own any tech outside of index ETFs, but a good friend has made a ton of cash playing options before earnings.
That's over my head I'd be very poor if I tried it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
The majority of Twitter shares are in the hands of merger arbs right now, many of whom are sitting on huge profits. These are funds that try and earn low volatility, low correlation-to-the-market returns. In a year where the averages are down big one big win has the potential to make your year, and make fund raising next year easy. Locking that in just in case Elon does something insane in the next couple of days makes sense for that constituency.
The insane thing was buying Twitter don't think anything crazy will happen now. I made ~35% can't complain.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 07:38 PM   #3754
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's over my head I'd be very poor if I tried it.

The insane thing was buying Twitter don't think anything crazy will happen now. I made ~35% can't complain.
I agree. I was just trying to explain the thinking behind those who are likely selling in size.

Making the last little bit will make no difference to a fund's results (the big jump from when the transaction was in doubt makes their whole year), whereas a deal break would wreck the whole year for an arb fund.
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2022, 07:48 PM   #3755
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

You also get cash instantly if you sold Twitter today, whereas it can take up to a few weeks to get paid after trading is halted. So even if the deal was 100% guaranteed to go through, giving up 10-20 cents of share price to get your money now can make sense if you have somewhere else to deploy your cash in the interim.
opendoor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 08:54 PM   #3756
CASe333
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
AMZN is tanking ~15% in after hours dragging down other stocks with it.
I'm curious if anyone can explain how AMZN drops from $110.96 at closing immediately down to $92 after hours?

I have a basic understanding of how stock trading works. Is it normal for such a huge swing after hours? I guess I just don't even know how its possible for this huge of a swing to happen in 5min of trading let alone after hours.
CASe333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 09:07 PM   #3757
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASe333 View Post
I'm curious if anyone can explain how AMZN drops from $110.96 at closing immediately down to $92 after hours?

I have a basic understanding of how stock trading works. Is it normal for such a huge swing after hours? I guess I just don't even know how its possible for this huge of a swing to happen in 5min of trading let alone after hours.
Well I wouldn’t say it’s normal for a company of that size to decline that much. But, they reported earnings after the bell and provided guidance that they were expecting a slowdown, so the after hours trade wasn’t kind to them. Sometimes the moves pre/post market are exaggerated or non-indicative of the opening hours. There are less trades and lower volumes, so it takes less to move things.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2022, 09:10 PM   #3758
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
You also get cash instantly if you sold Twitter today, whereas it can take up to a few weeks to get paid after trading is halted. So even if the deal was 100% guaranteed to go through, giving up 10-20 cents of share price to get your money now can make sense if you have somewhere else to deploy your cash in the interim.
That timeframe isn't likely to be the case for the majority of arb investors who would have quality prime brokerage. Retail investors, sure.
Old 10-27-2022, 09:21 PM   #3759
CASe333
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Well I wouldn’t say it’s normal for a company of that size to decline that much. But, they reported earnings after the bell and provided guidance that they were expecting a slowdown, so the after hours trade wasn’t kind to them. Sometimes the moves pre/post market are exaggerated or non-indicative of the opening hours. There are less trades and lower volumes, so it takes less to move things.
So they provided a report saying they weren't meeting earnings and immediately there was a sell-off within 5min. But why did it almost immediately drop to the low? I'm looking at after hr trades and price dropped almost immediately. Why wouldn't it drop more incrementally with time? Even a volatile stock like TSLA doesn't move like this.
CASe333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 09:39 PM   #3760
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASe333 View Post
So they provided a report saying they weren't meeting earnings and immediately there was a sell-off within 5min. But why did it almost immediately drop to the low? I'm looking at after hr trades and price dropped almost immediately. Why wouldn't it drop more incrementally with time? Even a volatile stock like TSLA doesn't move like this.
It’s because the sellers cut their asks quickly to get out of the shares. If they really want out, they can do that or sell at market and get the shares sold. Depending on your system, you can see the trades lined up, so you can make sure to get an order filled by cutting the price. It will bottom though, because buyers will come in and take shares at a particular price that they think is a good deal.

Basically, you’re seeing the price discovery mechanism happen in real time and it happens fast.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post: