Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2016, 12:02 PM   #3681
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
It's when you start to think your opinion is more valid than real NHL scouts
Opinions are not ''''valid''' or '''invalid''' one way or the other. They are opinions. Learn to accept that people on a fan message board are going to have opinions that aren't rote memorization of Bob McKenzie's List.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 12:03 PM   #3682
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames need a shoot first guy. I have my preferences and those preferences go against that idea of the Flames needing a sniper but I really think a guy like Nylander who has a killer shot gets a bump on the BPA list regardless of the concerns of softeness or will to compete. And I thin that's why a guy like Brown gets bumped down a bit because he is a playmaker first. I said before I could definitely see a guy like Gauthier getting a big bump up the Flames list because he is about the next best pure goalscorer in the draft outside of the top 4-5.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2016, 12:09 PM   #3683
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Lol, good point. Luckily our GM has a scouting background so if he overrules our scouts it will be with a wealth of expertise and experience behind him.
Treliving has a scouting background? I was under the impression he was an administrative guy.

Treliving played in the minors (ECHL for the most part) until '95, then founded and ran the WPHL in '96. He oversaw the merger of the WPHL with the CHL in 2001, and was commissioner of the CHL until he left to join the Coyote's staff in 2003. As AGM with the Coyotes his primary responsibility was the operation of the AHL affiliate, the San Antonio Rampage. He maintained that role until he joined the Flames.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2016, 12:13 PM   #3684
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Treliving has a scouting background? I was under the impression he was an administrative guy.

Treliving played in the minors (ECHL for the most part) until '95, then founded and ran the WPHL in '96. He oversaw the merger of the WPHL with the CHL in 2001, and was commissioner of the CHL until he left to join the Coyote's staff in 2003. As AGM with the Coyotes his primary responsibility was the operation of the AHL affiliate, the San Antonio Rampage. He maintained that role until he joined the Flames.
He ran the draft for the Yotes unless I'm mistaken.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 12:21 PM   #3685
Angelino
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just wondering if Logan Brown has played wing before. Have not watched him much, but was thinking if he could line up on the right side of Monahan and Gaudreau one day if the Flames drafted him.

Angelino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 12:21 PM   #3686
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Opinions are not ''''valid''' or '''invalid''' one way or the other. They are opinions. Learn to accept that people on a fan message board are going to have opinions that aren't rote memorization of Bob McKenzie's List.
What's with the crazy quotes?
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 12:24 PM   #3687
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Quote:
Treliving called his apprenticeship in Phoenix “very fortunate,” noting that because they had a “small shop,” he got the opportunity to be involved in every part of the operation – negotiating player contracts, working with the minor-league team, pro and amateur scouting.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...ticle18300124/
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2016, 01:55 PM   #3688
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelino View Post
Just wondering if Logan Brown has played wing before. Have not watched him much, but was thinking if he could line up on the right side of Monahan and Gaudreau one day if the Flames drafted him.
He's a left shot so it's probably not ideal. If you took him and wanted him to be a winger, he'd be better on Bennett's left side. I suspect Bennett would be more likely to end up on Brown's left in that scenario. That's assuming, of course, that you see Brown as a worthy #6 pick.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rick M. For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2016, 02:12 PM   #3689
mdubz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I know the Stars game will be front and centre for most people tonight but in case you want to see a wealth of prospects for the draft tonight we have London vs Niagara game 4 on SN360 at 5pm. London is going for the sweep of the OHL Finals and the Memorial Cup berth. Games 5 and 6 should they be required will also be shown on SN360. Chance to see:

#7 Matt Tkachuk (ranked 2nd in NA by CSS)
#4 Olli Juolevi (ranked 5th in NA by CSS)
#49 Max Jones (ranked 14th in NA by CSS)
#98 Victor Mete (ranked 74th in NA by CSS)
#63 Cliff Pu (ranked 75th in NA by CSS)
Is his last name actually pronounced "poo"?
mdubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 02:27 PM   #3690
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting that the THN list, which is a consensus list of about 15 GM's, scouts and peronnel guys, has the usual top 5, but Juolevi at 6, followed by Nylander, Sergachev and Chychrun. Then McLeod, Jost, Keller, Jones, Brown. So... I think that means a dman will go early and that Button had Brown going high because he thinks his brother takes him at 6 (or some other inside info about VAN perhaps)...

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 02:32 PM   #3691
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

When is the THN draft issue available on newstands?
albertGQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 03:16 PM   #3692
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertGQ View Post
When is the THN draft issue available on newstands?
Mine came in the mail today, so should be right away.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VladtheImpaler For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2016, 03:47 PM   #3693
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
Interesting that the THN list, which is a consensus list of about 15 GM's, scouts and peronnel guys, has the usual top 5, but Juolevi at 6, followed by Nylander, Sergachev and Chychrun. Then McLeod, Jost, Keller, Jones, Brown. So... I think that means a dman will go early and that Button had Brown going high because he thinks his brother takes him at 6 (or some other inside info about VAN perhaps)...
Or it could be that only Craig Button thinks that high of Brown.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 03:48 PM   #3694
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubz View Post
Is his last name actually pronounced "poo"?
I believe so. From the highlights I've seen of London games the crowd actually starts to yell "Poooooo" if he has a breakaway.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2016, 03:50 PM   #3695
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I believe so. From the highlights I've seen of London games the crowd actually starts to yell "Poooooo" if he has a breakaway.
If he coughs up the puck do they yell "Oh poooooo"?
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 03:56 PM   #3696
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Or it could be that only Craig Button thinks that high of Brown.
I don't think that's the case. Chiarelli bought him up unprompted when talking about players in consideration in the range they're picking. Benning has said some pretty complimentary things. Neither GM has said a word on Nylander yet. Kind of suggests Brown is in that elite grouping of forwards with Tkachuk and Dubois for some or most teams.

I think Brown drops on the consensus lists because there's a wide variance in where he's ranked. He's seen as in the elite grouping by some GMs and scouts (top 6-8) and then not even in the top 12 for others. So his average falls because of that. But big centres pretty much never fall on draft day. I'd expect someone to take Brown high or to trade up to take Brown high. It's very hard to find big, skilled centres if you don't draft them (much like top 3 d-men and 1st line powerforwards).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2016, 04:01 PM   #3697
Point Blank
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I don't think that's the case. Chiarelli bought him up unprompted when talking about players in consideration in the range they're picking. Benning has said some pretty complimentary things. Neither GM has said a word on Nylander yet. Kind of suggests Brown is in that elite grouping of forwards with Tkachuk and Dubois for some or most teams.

I think Brown drops on the consensus lists because there's a wide variance in where he's ranked. He's seen as in the elite grouping by some GMs and scouts (top 6-8) and then not even in the top 12 for others. So his average falls because of that. But big centres pretty much never fall on draft day. I'd expect someone to take Brown high or to trade up to take Brown high. It's very hard to find big, skilled centres if you don't draft them (much like top 3 d-men and 1st line powerforwards).
You think they're being honest and not leaving certain info out? Benning seems to be pretty candid, I dunno about Chia, but I also recall Burke talking about lying tons prior to the draft and how he might draft Nick Ritchie.
Originally Posted by Hockey Fan #751 View Post
The Oilers won't finish 14th in the West forever.

Eventually a couple of expansion teams will be added which will nestle the Oilers into 16th.
Point Blank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 04:06 PM   #3698
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Emphasis on "working with... Pro and amateur scouting." Doesn't mean he did it, means he worked with them. Treliving works with guys that manage the ice plant, doesn't mean that Treliving knows how to make ice in the Saddledome. Treliving is a good manager and part of that is listening to his subject matter experts to inform his opinion and guide his decision making process. He has scouts to make the calls on talent. I seriously doubt he is making those calls himself.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 04:14 PM   #3699
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Emphasis on "working with... Pro and amateur scouting." Doesn't mean he did it, means he worked with them. Treliving works with guys that manage the ice plant, doesn't mean that Treliving knows how to make ice in the Saddledome. Treliving is a good manager and part of that is listening to his subject matter experts to inform his opinion and guide his decision making process. He has scouts to make the calls on talent. I seriously doubt he is making those calls himself.
Burke and Treliving have definitely both scouted players for this years draft. I know Sureloss had some info on that earlier this spring
Old 05-11-2016, 04:17 PM   #3700
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Point Blank View Post
You think they're being honest and not leaving certain info out? Benning seems to be pretty candid, I dunno about Chia, but I also recall Burke talking about lying tons prior to the draft and how he might draft Nick Ritchie.
I don't think that was lying, I think had we drafted a few spots lower that Nick Ritchie may have been our pick. Once we got into that elite top 4 grouping it was obvious Ritchie was no longer going to be the pick.

Tags
2016 nhl draft , nhl draft , nhl entry draft