Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2024, 10:05 PM   #3601
TOfan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Talking about spending 2nd, or any round pick on players like Jeannot is crazy talk!

The path to success for this team is through the draft. Be patient. That's how you get the Brayden Point, Jason Robertson, Nikita Kucherov, and Johnny Gaudreau's of the league - you need to make the picks.

Tanner !@#$ing Jeannot?
For each guy you listed, how many other picks never play a single game let alone turn into stars? 30? 50?
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 10:15 PM   #3602
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
For each guy you listed, how many other picks never play a single game let alone turn into stars? 30? 50?
Better go spend picks on 3rd and 4th liners because they are better than the majority of draft picks. The Flames aren’t in a position to be spending a 2nd on a third line UFA.
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 10:17 PM   #3603
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
Plenty, but that's not the point.

You need to find stars. To find stars, you need picks. Not every pick will be a star, but every Jeannot will be a Jeannot. Giving away picks for inconsequential depth players is not a good way to build a good team.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2024, 10:25 PM   #3604
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
Rempe shouldn’t be playing hockey. He is embarrassing out there, trying to injure people. It’s actually wild the Rangers have him and Trouba that play the game the wrong way.

Lucic hardly wanted to fight or do anything, I don’t think it makes a difference.

Of the 4 teams left only the Rangers are employing a goon.
Lucic didn't have to fight, because he had no dance partners, because he was....a deterrent.

Rangers have Rempe, Anaheim has Ross Johnston, Utah has Liam O'Brien, Toronto has Ryan Reaves, NJ has MacDermid, Philly has Nick Delauriers, Florida has Jonah Gadjovich, Carolina has Brendan Lemieux, Islanders have Matt Martin, Nashville has Mike McCarron, Ottawa has Zack MacEwen, Tampa has Austin Watson, SJ has Givani Smith...

You have to be able to push back with something.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2024, 10:39 PM   #3605
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
Lucic didn't have to fight, because he had no dance partners, because he was....a deterrent.

Rangers have Rempe, Anaheim has Ross Johnston, Utah has Liam O'Brien, Toronto has Ryan Reaves, NJ has MacDermid, Philly has Nick Delauriers, Florida has Jonah Gadjovich, Carolina has Brendan Lemieux, Islanders have Matt Martin, Nashville has Mike McCarron, Ottawa has Zack MacEwen, Tampa has Austin Watson, SJ has Givani Smith...

Those that don't get it....never will.
Old 05-27-2024, 10:41 PM   #3606
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Those guys mostly suck and play 5-6 minutes and cost their teams games by being meat heads.

If we don’t ice them, other teams won’t play them. If they do they won’t be on the ice much because they can’t take regular shifts.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 10:50 PM   #3607
Redrum
First Line Centre

Exp:

I agree with not spending higher picks, especially sat this point. But the team definitely needs quite a bit more toughness.
Redrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 10:55 PM   #3608
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Those guys mostly suck and play 5-6 minutes and cost their teams games by being meat heads.

If we don’t ice them, other teams won’t play them. If they do they won’t be on the ice much because they can’t take regular shifts.
Of course those guys suck and play low minutes- my post was in response to your posts that deterrents aren't used anymore, and that the only team that uses a goon was the NYR. You just proved my point.

Those guys are in the lineup regardless of whether or not the opposing team has a "meathead". Most of the guys on that list played the majority of their teams' games, and played fairly regular minutes.
Old 05-27-2024, 10:56 PM   #3609
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Rempe shouldn’t be playing hockey. He is embarrassing out there, trying to injure people. It’s actually wild the Rangers have him and Trouba that play the game the wrong way.

Lucic hardly wanted to fight or do anything, I don’t think it makes a difference.

Of the 4 teams left only the Rangers are employing a goon.

Looch had his moments but they didn’t include engaging with the provincial rivals

It would be wrong to say where he was most physical

Too soon?
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2024, 11:06 PM   #3610
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
I agree with not spending higher picks, especially sat this point. But the team definitely needs quite a bit more toughness.
Thank you, I agree- although I very impressed by how the team stuck together this year, and protected each other. I was worried about life without Looch.
Old 05-27-2024, 11:20 PM   #3611
Mightyfire89
And I Don't Care...

Exp:

Toughness doesn’t really play these days. What this team needs is high end skill. That takes time and relying on having as many draft picks as possible going into each draft and then drafting wisely…and having a lot of luck. Whether anyone wants to admit it or not, sports teams being good is mostly about luck.
Old 05-27-2024, 11:28 PM   #3612
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyfire89 View Post
Toughness doesn’t really play these days. What this team needs is high end skill. That takes time and relying on having as many draft picks as possible going into each draft and then drafting wisely…and having a lot of luck. Whether anyone wants to admit it or not, sports teams being good is mostly about luck.
As long as hockey is a contact sport, size and toughness will be a part of the game-like it or not. Most GM’s agree with me, just look at every TDL, and watch which players rise and fall in the draft.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2024, 11:43 PM   #3613
Mightyfire89
And I Don't Care...

Exp:

Quote:
As long as hockey is a contact sport, size and toughness will be a part of the game-like it or not. Most GM’s agree with me, just look at every TDL, and watch which players rise and fall in the draft.
I think “team toughness” can be a thing for sure. A level of checking and hard hitting and fighting through checks and so forth is good. You don’t want a team of all wuss type players, but skill rules all these days I think. The days of Rempe type players being relevant is mostly gone. In my opinion.
Old 05-28-2024, 02:05 AM   #3614
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyfire89 View Post
I think “team toughness” can be a thing for sure. A level of checking and hard hitting and fighting through checks and so forth is good. You don’t want a team of all wuss type players, but skill rules all these days I think. The days of Rempe type players being relevant is mostly gone. In my opinion.
I agree that the traditional "enforcer", that being a player who fights and does nothing else, is a thing of the past. These days, the players who provide your team with toughness and physicality must also be able to play a semi-regular shift and contribute in some way.
Old 05-28-2024, 02:10 AM   #3615
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I agree that the traditional "enforcer", that being a player who fights and does nothing else, is a thing of the past. These days, the players who provide your team with toughness and physicality must also be able to play a semi-regular shift and contribute in some way.
That's a part of the reason I wouldn't mind a guy like Trouba coming here with a sweetner. If the Flames can't win, then big hits and team toughness are the next best thing.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 03:14 AM   #3616
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

You need toughness in the playoffs but you need speed and skill to get there, get the speed and skill first and fill out the roster when you're a playoff team.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 05:56 AM   #3617
TOfan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Plenty, but that's not the point.

You need to find stars. To find stars, you need picks. Not every pick will be a star, but every Jeannot will be a Jeannot. Giving away picks for inconsequential depth players is not a good way to build a good team.
Every single year ‘inconsequential’ guys like Jeannot help teams win the cup.

I agree that this isn’t the type of move I would like to see the Flames make, but if they did, I would understand it.
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 06:29 AM   #3618
Royle9
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

3 of the 4 teams in the SC playoffs currently have no active goon.
Team toughness is a thing, Florida is the best case to prove this and funny enough 2 of those top team toughness guys were drafted by the Flames.

It doesn’t hurt to have a tougher guy around to play 13th forward and maybe draw in from time to time, but you don’t give up assets for him. Reaves was a liability all year for Toronto and cost them 2 big goals in the playoffs, he was completely irrelevant.
Rempe hasn’t played much for NYR and he’s taken 2 terrible penalties thus far, Floridas game has pretty much rendered him a pointless roster spot because they just ignore him and don’t engage.

Your tough guy should either be able to put up 25-30 pts (Liam O) or he should cost you almost nothing and eat popcorn until you need to send a message or protect your young guys against rivals who like to take cheap shots (EDM fake tough guys)

Lucic failed to do it the last few years.

So would take Jeannot? Sure as a 13th forward, but I wouldn’t be giving up picks nor would I be paying him a fat salary as these days you need your money locked up in skilled guys who are going to be playing 82 games.

Last edited by Royle9; 05-28-2024 at 06:52 AM.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Royle9 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2024, 07:00 AM   #3619
aaronkarlpatton
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Sandman, in your opinion who is the toughest player at the draft this year?

Sent from my SM-G990W2 using Tapatalk
aaronkarlpatton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 07:16 AM   #3620
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
They need everything. Toughness can be acquired a lot easier than elite talent. No point being tough if you have no elite talent.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hackey For This Useful Post:

Tags
e=ng , edmonton is no good