Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2010, 11:22 PM   #341
Superfraggle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Rotten View Post
I'm curious about that also. If Irving keeps playing as he is, it will be hard to keep him down.

Although I don't know who would be a good trading partner for the Flames regarding Kipper (Tampa?), maybe it will be Karlsson and Irving next year as the Flames goalies. Or, can they get a forward prospect equal to Irving's ability as a goalie?
Kipper will not be moved in favour of a Karlsson/Irving combo for next year. Irving has never played an NHL game and Karlsson is a rookie this year with a grand total of 6 games played. Not to take anything away from either player, but there is no reason to consider either as a replacement for Kipper any time soon. Not to mention that Kiprusoff would have to waive his no-movement clause.
Superfraggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 12:41 AM   #342
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was just perusing through our prospect stats and noticed our 4th round pick from 08, Nick Larson, has as many points half way through this year as he had all of last year playing for Notre Dame.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=113270

He's a big kid, listed at 6'2" and 202 lbs.

Quote:
Larson is a classic power forward who plays a hard game. He’s a very intense player who finishes his checks and goes to the net hard as well. For a player of his size and stature, he has good feet and can move really well. He’s a good player who adds size and an edge to any roster. He has matured immensely on ice, which has helped him read the game and make better decisions. On the physical side of things, Larson needs to continue to grow into his frame.
Probably sill a couple years before he goes pro? (Assuming he finishes school)
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 01:17 PM   #343
Johnny Rotten
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
I was just perusing through our prospect stats and noticed our 4th round pick from 08, Nick Larson, has as many points half way through this year as he had all of last year playing for Notre Dame.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=113270

He's a big kid, listed at 6'2" and 202 lbs.
Probably sill a couple years before he goes pro? (Assuming he finishes school)
I remember Tod Button saying on the day they drafted him that he (Larson) was kind of a "wide-bodied player" (or words to that effect). He was kind of comparing him with Franzen and Holmstrom (The Wings had just won the Cup, and so I'm assuming Button thought of the Wings duo as a logical comparison.).

Even if he turns out close to either of those guys the Flames are laughing. But I'm not holding my breath.
Johnny Rotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 04:36 PM   #344
BloodFetish
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrodieFan View Post
Getting news about Abby is impossible here. Any talk about Playfair moving back up to NHL level at all?
Maybe this will help...

Abbotsford Heat newsletter sign-up form
BloodFetish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 09:28 PM   #345
BigBrodieFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodFetish View Post
Thank you soo much!!
BigBrodieFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 05:37 AM   #346
kekkone
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Few comments on John Ramage from The United States of Hockey blog.

"JOHN RAMAGE – D – Ramage is the only defenseman returning from last year’s team. He was last seen sending a pass to John Carlson that led to Carlson’s overtime winner against Canada. I think last year’s success has given Ramage a quiet confidence that will be a huge boost to his game this year. He’s the definition of a blue collar player. He will do everything you ask of him and keep his game awfully simple. He’s not going to put up a ton of points, but he is going to give you some leadership and great character on the back end. Additionally, Ramage will hit. He’s going to battle every time out and that’s all you can ask for. If he plays his steady game, he’s going to be a big help to his goaltender. He’s having a great start to his sophomore year at Wisconsin, contributing eight points in 20 games."

"As I mentioned in my earlier post, John Ramage, is likely a lock to make the team. His game-winning assist (yes, I said it) was part of the lore of last year’s team and he did a great job throughout the tournament. He was part of a Wisconsin team that went all the way to the NCAA Division I national championship game and he’s a product of the National Team Development Program. He’s going to be a quiet leader for this group."
Old 12-19-2010, 09:14 AM   #347
Johnny Rotten
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfraggle View Post
Kipper will not be moved in favour of a Karlsson/Irving combo for next year. Irving has never played an NHL game and Karlsson is a rookie this year with a grand total of 6 games played. Not to take anything away from either player, but there is no reason to consider either as a replacement for Kipper any time soon. Not to mention that Kiprusoff would have to waive his no-movement clause.
You're probably right; to go with goalies who've played such few N.H.L games would be an iffy proposition. But I wonder if it's time for the Flames to "roll the dice" with their goalies(I'm thinking of the Price/Halak situation that was once in Montreal.).... IF Kipper would move waive his no-movement clause. I mean, they're languishing with Kipper right now.

Maybe get a veteran goalie with a low salary/term back and hope to catch "lightning in a bottle" with one of their young goalies as the starter.

Too many ifs right now and I can think of only Tampa as being a team that needs a goalie that could be a possible trading partner. Probably wrong about that too...

Regardless, if they were ever to trade Kipper, they need a heck of a return and not just a veteran goalie with a low term and salary.
Johnny Rotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 12:51 AM   #348
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only way that the Flames will trade Kipper away is if they go into a rebuild mode. Kipper deserves a chance just as much as Iggy, IMO, from a 'thank you' standpoint from this organization to Iggy and Kipper, as well as from a rebuilding standpoint as Kipper would definitely garner a decent package, and his departure of course enhances the pick that year that Irving moves up. I am also HOPEFUL that Karlsson gets better, and allows Irving to step in as a backup or as part of a Tandem. I like Karlsson's attitude, and with the exception of that Colorado game, he is stable back there. Just really needs to work on his composure in shootouts/penalty shots (amongst other things, of course).

With that being said, IF the Flames go through a rebuilding mode, you often do not want to expose your 'future star' goalie to it, as it can play with their confidence issues too much. However, since Irving is doing exceptional this year, on the youngest team in the NHL (and therefore, the more mistake-prone team - sheer guess at this point though), then it is nice to see how he has already had a confidence issue, and managed go get past it admirably.

However, I think he could use another solid season in the minors to help with his all-round game. He is definitely starting to look like a possibility, and that is nice. Last year most of us were wondering if the Flames should even retain him, and give someone else the opportunity.

All in all, it really looks like the Flames are having some good prospects in the system now. Erixon, Brodie, Irving, Nemisz, Wahl, Pelech, Seabrook, Howse, Ramage, Reinhart looking like they will at least be very good support players, if not better - Negrin if he manages to get past his bad luck with injuries (and Pelech somewhat as well). Backlund on the Flames already.

If the Flames do rebuild, I would say we are more than halfway there in terms of young prospects with good upsides. Anything can happen in the NHL, and chances are at least a few of these names won't go far, but perhaps a few will even exceed expectations as well. I am getting more and more optimistic about our prospect pool every week, and it is really nice to see Abbotsford being able to work through adversity and challenge for the division lead. A winning mentality on the farm can help transition a winning mentality on the parent club.

I really do not want to turn this into a Sutter thread at all, but this is the reason why I am still 'pro' Sutter. It SEEMS like he is finally getting on the right track with his drafting, and I would THINK that the future of the Flames will be a successful one. Night and day between the last 3 drafts, compared to the last 15+ drafts, I would say. Nothing outside of Backlund is 'proven' yet, but even naysayers can at least see that it SEEMS to be much better, and thanks to him and KK, we have the Heat that we can take our time developing our strong prospect group now.

How is MacMillan (Sp?) doing? I haven't heard much about him. Was hoping this move would get his career back on track.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2010, 01:12 AM   #349
jeremywilhelm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
The only way that the Flames will trade Kipper away is if they go into a rebuild mode. Kipper deserves a chance just as much as Iggy, IMO, from a 'thank you' standpoint from this organization to Iggy and Kipper, as well as from a rebuilding standpoint as Kipper would definitely garner a decent package, and his departure of course enhances the pick that year that Irving moves up. I am also HOPEFUL that Karlsson gets better, and allows Irving to step in as a backup or as part of a Tandem. I like Karlsson's attitude, and with the exception of that Colorado game, he is stable back there. Just really needs to work on his composure in shootouts/penalty shots (amongst other things, of course).

With that being said, IF the Flames go through a rebuilding mode, you often do not want to expose your 'future star' goalie to it, as it can play with their confidence issues too much. However, since Irving is doing exceptional this year, on the youngest team in the NHL (and therefore, the more mistake-prone team - sheer guess at this point though), then it is nice to see how he has already had a confidence issue, and managed go get past it admirably.

However, I think he could use another solid season in the minors to help with his all-round game. He is definitely starting to look like a possibility, and that is nice. Last year most of us were wondering if the Flames should even retain him, and give someone else the opportunity.

All in all, it really looks like the Flames are having some good prospects in the system now. Erixon, Brodie, Irving, Nemisz, Wahl, Pelech, Seabrook, Howse, Ramage, Reinhart looking like they will at least be very good support players, if not better - Negrin if he manages to get past his bad luck with injuries (and Pelech somewhat as well). Backlund on the Flames already.

If the Flames do rebuild, I would say we are more than halfway there in terms of young prospects with good upsides. Anything can happen in the NHL, and chances are at least a few of these names won't go far, but perhaps a few will even exceed expectations as well. I am getting more and more optimistic about our prospect pool every week, and it is really nice to see Abbotsford being able to work through adversity and challenge for the division lead. A winning mentality on the farm can help transition a winning mentality on the parent club.

I really do not want to turn this into a Sutter thread at all, but this is the reason why I am still 'pro' Sutter. It SEEMS like he is finally getting on the right track with his drafting, and I would THINK that the future of the Flames will be a successful one. Night and day between the last 3 drafts, compared to the last 15+ drafts, I would say. Nothing outside of Backlund is 'proven' yet, but even naysayers can at least see that it SEEMS to be much better, and thanks to him and KK, we have the Heat that we can take our time developing our strong prospect group now.

How is MacMillan (Sp?) doing? I haven't heard much about him. Was hoping this move would get his career back on track.
Macmillan plays third/fourth line on the farm. He has a long way to go before he will ever be called up or given a shot.
jeremywilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeremywilhelm For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2010, 06:41 PM   #350
Beerfest
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

WHL prospects

Ryan Howse - 32 games played - 23 goals - 16 assists - 17 PIM - -6 - Forward
Spencer Bennett - 37 games played - 12 goals - 9 assists - 26 PIM - +5 - Forward
Max Reinhart - 36 games played - 18 goals - 15 assists - 22 PIM - +14 - Forward
Joey Leach - 36 games played - 4 goals - 14 assists - 40 PIM - +14 - Defense
Patrick Holland - 36 games played - 11 goals - 15 assists - 8 PIM - +2 - Forward
Michael Ferland - 21 games played - 5 goals - 14 assists - 42 PIM - 0 - Forward

NCAA Prospects

John Ramage - 20 games played - 1 goal, 7 assists - 26 PIM - Defense
Bill Arnold - 16 games played - 3 goals - 3 assists - 24 PIM - Forward
Nick Larson - 18 games played - 6 goals - 5 assists - 24 PIM - Forward
C.J. Severyn - 17 games played - 4 goals - 4 assists - 14 PIM - Forward
Aaron Marvin - 17 games played - 4 goals - 5 assists - 8 PIM - Forward

I dont think we have Jordan Fulton's rights anymore, hes playing in the ECHL..anyone know?

European Prospects

Tim Erixon - SEL - 30 games played - 3 goals - 12 assists - 28 PIM - -4 - Defense
Henrik Bjorklund - http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=7101 - Forward
Joni Ortio - http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=16050 - Goalie

Abbotsford Heat stats (AHL)
http://www.abbotsfordheat.com/SportS...8&SPSID=593485

Utah Grizzlies stats (ECHL)
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/csl.php?tid=4001
Hugo Carpentier and Jean-Philippe Lamoureux have played some games with them this year.

Last edited by Beerfest; 12-24-2010 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Fixing Leach's assist total.
Beerfest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Beerfest For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2010, 07:24 PM   #351
flamesrule14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfest View Post
I dont think we have Jordan Fulton's rights anymore, hes playing in the ECHL..anyone know?
No longer a Flames prospect. Had to sign him by last Aug.15. He's a free agent.
flamesrule14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flamesrule14 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2010, 09:51 AM   #352
hixxes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

John Ramage has been named captain of the American National Jr Team.

http://www.tsn.ca/world_jrs/story/?id=346779
To be shot down in Flames!

hixxes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to hixxes For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2010, 05:26 PM   #353
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not the most impressive stats from our NCAA prospects. I suppose they're not snipers though, most of them are grinders or two-way forwards.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 06:32 PM   #354
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre "Monster" McGuire View Post
Not the most impressive stats from our NCAA prospects. I suppose they're not snipers though, most of them are grinders or two-way forwards.
Well, if they want a couple UFA college prospects with decent skill and stats, there is Chay Genoway, Calle Ridderwall, and Mark Zengerle who've all had a decent year offensively thus far.

Genoway's a D-man, where Ridderwall and Zengerle are forwards.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2010, 07:24 PM   #355
Ziggy Lidstrom
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
Well, if they want a couple UFA college prospects with decent skill and stats, there is Chay Genoway, Calle Ridderwall, and Mark Zengerle who've all had a decent year offensively thus far.

Genoway's a D-man, where Ridderwall and Zengerle are forwards.
Ridderwall plays with Larson if I'm not mistaken. His bio and stats look good. He is a senior but has been undrafted. I think that is due to his size, but now according to hockeydb he's listed at 6' 193.

His other teammate Anders Lee is an Isles pick, but he was a 7th. He would have been a good pick, since he has good skills, stats and size. He coulda been a steal for us, but I digress.

Yet I agree with the premise of an added flames presence in NCAA hockey, by signing FA's and scouting the NATDP the USHL and the NCAA. think of all the college players that badger bob targeted during the 80's: Suter, Mullen, Nieuwy, Stern, Otto...
Old 12-24-2010, 11:20 PM   #356
koop
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
There is one thing you can say about Sutter, and I mean this as a compliment,he can draft and develop character, 3rd, 4th liners and defensive defencemen.
Pardy and Prust are the only two guys who are full time NHLers that fit that description...... that's pretty poor when compared to the rest of the league.
koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 08:41 AM   #357
Weiser Wonder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Regardless of Sutter's past record, Ramage looks like a great pick. Strong with the puck, mobile, and a character guy, the new defensive defensemen prototype in the NHL.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:29 AM   #358
kekkone
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

WHL offers free streams for next tree days. LINK. I hope that works in Europe too.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:30 AM   #359
Patrick
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weiser Wonder View Post
Regardless of Sutter's past record, Ramage looks like a great pick. Strong with the puck, mobile, and a character guy, the new defensive defensemen prototype in the NHL.
Flames have 3 very strong future D IMO.

Erixon, Brodie and Ramage.
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 07:29 AM   #360
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I remember at the draft all the complaining about how Sutter drafted Reinhart and Ramage. Those picks are looking like great picks now.

On a serious note.. I hear Pepper's son is going to be available soon. I wonder if he is any good?
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote