Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2011, 03:37 PM   #341
Cain
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

And I'd be the opposite...

I find that people tend to overstate how often they are camped relentlessly. It happens, but for me it is pretty darn rare in my experience. On the flipside, back when I was leveling WoW the first time everyone complained about STV. Again, either I am weird or something but I freaking loved loved loved STV. I stopped leveling completely for awhile and just ganked people my own level range, and was ganked in turn. So many fun times there.

I don't see why you'd even consider a PVE realm, but I guess people play for different reasons. I only play these games for the PVP anyway, so world PVP is ideal. Sadly, most MMOs don't really offer great world pvp anymore so I lose no matter what. However, given the fond memories I have regarding world pvp, I don't know why you wouldn't give it a chance!

Ganking people after duels outside shattrath (and having a horde of their angry friends chase after you), ganking in STV, ganking people trying to do daily quests....oh, how I miss you. Also when people try to gank you and you kill them anyway and keep going about what you were doing before - there is no better feeling in an MMO imo.

(if you are not familiar with mmo terminology, gank = kill, usually unwarranted....That is how I use it anyway, I dont' mean I travel around in huge groups making fights exceedingly unfair etc.)

Last edited by Cain; 12-17-2011 at 03:41 PM.
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cain For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2011, 03:51 PM   #342
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

agreed, when i did play WoW long ago it was on a PvP server and that's one of the things that kept me going for so long. having a massive army of Alliance people suddenly appear in a low level Horde area and taking over the town sucked a bit for my leveling, but it was worth it to see the epic battle occur when word spread and an equally large Horde army came marching in to wipe them out. and managing to kill some douchnozzel hunter 7 levels above me who tried to gank me was incredibly rewarding. hopefully i can find some of those same kind of experiences in TOR
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 04:44 PM   #343
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If I pre-order TOR now, do I get in right away or no?
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 07:57 PM   #344
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
And I'd be the opposite...

I find that people tend to overstate how often they are camped relentlessly.

It's all dependent on the times you play. Right after an expansion? Gonna get camped if you go to a high traffic area (EG. Azjol-Nerub in WotLK). Expansion been out a while? Free and clear.

Places like STV were bad because of the raid being there. It just stayed bad because people were bitter and wanted others to suffer as they suffered.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 08:44 PM   #345
Cain
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
It's all dependent on the times you play. Right after an expansion? Gonna get camped if you go to a high traffic area (EG. Azjol-Nerub in WotLK). Expansion been out a while? Free and clear.

Places like STV were bad because of the raid being there. It just stayed bad because people were bitter and wanted others to suffer as they suffered.
Yea, I've been through high pop times and low pop....WOTLK was released, and a friend and I killed over 1000 death knights as they came into the outlands for the first time. Most fun I've ever had because of the mass carnage we caused, including making people logon their high level guys to fight back (to no avail).

Still overstated how often people corpse camp. It happens, it will happen to you, you will do it in turn, but it is hardly a everyday thing. I actually like the tension as you approach an opposing faction and wonder if they will be friendly or take it upon themselves to attack you. Just a world of possibilities (fun ones) are opened up to you on a pvp server that are not allowed on a pve one.

Anyway, you will decide what is for you! Just was trying to balance the negative spin on pvp servers! I love them, and would play nothing else...give it a shot!
Old 12-17-2011, 09:07 PM   #346
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
but it is hardly a everyday thing. !
Original WoW players will disagree. People that joined Vanilla near the drop of TBC would disagree. But that was entirely caused by players having nothing better to do. ToR could possibly have the same happen, but you could just load a new instance of the area I assume.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 12-17-2011, 09:30 PM   #347
Cain
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
Original WoW players will disagree. People that joined Vanilla near the drop of TBC would disagree. But that was entirely caused by players having nothing better to do. ToR could possibly have the same happen, but you could just load a new instance of the area I assume.
Well I was a vanilla, not just near TBC guy and my experience differed! Oh well, that happens I guess.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:35 PM   #348
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Well I was a vanilla, not just near TBC guy and my experience differed! Oh well, that happens I guess.
Depends the server too, I guess. I had an absolutely loathesome time leveling up in late Vanilla on Ner'Zhul.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 12-17-2011, 11:09 PM   #349
flamesfan6
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Justin 3 View Post
If I pre-order TOR now, do I get in right away or no?
i pre-ordered this morning and am playing now
flamesfan6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 06:48 AM   #350
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Still overstated how often people corpse camp. It happens, it will happen to you, you will do it in turn, but it is hardly a everyday thing. I actually like the tension as you approach an opposing faction and wonder if they will be friendly or take it upon themselves to attack you. Just a world of possibilities (fun ones) are opened up to you on a pvp server that are not allowed on a pve one.
We'll have to agree to disagree on what constitutes fun, then.

The thing I have been wondering though...I'm almost lvl 21 in TOR, and I haven't even seen a single member of the filthy Republic yet. Granted, I'm mostly just working on my class quest, but I thought I'd be seeing the Republic folks more frequently than "never" so far.
WhiteTiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 02:43 PM   #351
Matty81
Franchise Player

Exp:

New PC build happening Christmas morning and this will be the first game I try. I never played WoW although I did do one online massive multiplayer for a few months called silkroad years ago as my only reference point.

What do people recommend is the best way to pick a server?

Can't wait to try the new PC and video card out on this!
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 07:02 PM   #352
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty81 View Post
The 20 posts immediately above yours (#330 ~ #350) deal pretty much with this exact topic.

The basic essence is "Go with your friends". Or, if you have none playing, pick a server that suits your style (PvE, PvP, PvE-RP, PvP-RP). If you don't want to do that...pick one with a name you like. Beyond that, it doesn't really matter.
WhiteTiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 05:38 AM   #353
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty81 View Post
New PC build happening Christmas morning and this will be the first game I try. I never played WoW although I did do one online massive multiplayer for a few months called silkroad years ago as my only reference point.

Can't wait to try the new PC and video card out on this!
If you have no friends playing on a server already then log on during peak times 6-9pm and pick the server that doesn't have the hour que. These ques suck but just like Rift they will work themselves out in a couple weeks.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:51 AM   #354
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

As I have no idea how MMO's work in regards to servers, if I create my guy in one server and my friend created a guy in another, can I join his server with my guy or no?
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 10:03 AM   #355
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Justin 3 View Post
As I have no idea how MMO's work in regards to servers, if I create my guy in one server and my friend created a guy in another, can I join his server with my guy or no?
No, you cannot.

World of Warcraft offers a server transfer service, which costs $25. I'm not sure this functionality has been implemented for SWTOR yet.
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 10:06 AM   #356
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

Also, this game is amazing.

Spent a good part of the weekend playing, and was able to get a lvl 21 Gunslinger, a 14 vanguard and a 12 commando. Love the non-jedi classes.

One recommendation I have for new players (especially ones that are not very familiar with how MMO's work), would be to take Slicing as one of your three crew skills. I know that as a new player, the temptation to make your own gear is unbelievable, but you'll only go broke if you try to keep up a crafting skill and a mission skill with your leveling. Slicing evens it out because it's basically a credit-printing skill, which means you always have something to fall back on.
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 10:37 AM   #357
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Actually in warcraft you can do dungeons with friends cross server now but of course not what justin was speaking of. I took up artifacing, archaeology, and treasure hunting am I screwed? I've played many an mmo but never read into trade skills at all with SWTOR. also neat how your companion does all the work while you play pretty f'ing awesome if you ask me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regorium View Post
No, you cannot.

World of Warcraft offers a server transfer service, which costs $25. I'm not sure this functionality has been implemented for SWTOR yet.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 10:53 AM   #358
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I'm probably not going to get the game now til the Christmas season winds down in Mid Janurary, then I'll join up.

I'll probably jump into one of the servers that the players are listing on this thread and get my evil villian butt killed 7 ways from sunset.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 01:05 PM   #359
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Urge to buy rising...I think I will have to wait till after christmas. Between flames games, NFL, Batman AC, and regular TV I think my wife would kill me if I threw this game into the mix...unless I get her to join...
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 01:08 PM   #360
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Urge to buy rising...I think I will have to wait till after christmas. Between flames games, NFL, Batman AC, and regular TV I think my wife would kill me if I threw this game into the mix...unless I get her to join...
Must . . . . resist . . . . obvious joke

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post: