Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2011, 09:09 AM   #341
BagoPucks
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
does anyone have any experience with Hancook Icebear tires? the pre-owned car i just bought came with them on it and it looks like they've been used year round. i'm guessing they're an all-weather tires like the Nokian WR's? i had the Nokians on my old car and they were great in the snow, just wondering if the Hancooks are equivalent or if i'm going to notice a big difference
Hancook Icebear is a winter/wet tire. I have used them for 1 year and I dont mind them. I drove a lot of rural roads, unploughed roads and highways in the winter and they seem to handle them just fine. Mind you I am using them an on Assymetric AWD car. The noise factor is a considerable point, I am used to it because my all seasons are low profile z-rated tires that are a little louder than usual so it does not bother me as much.
However it is a little concerning that the previous owner used them year round, you might want to look into the graining and wear on the tire.
BagoPucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:17 AM   #342
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Costco doesn't do free tire on rim swaps anymore. Any other place that does here in Calgary?
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:20 AM   #343
Jackpot_Smooth
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BagoPucks View Post
Hancook Icebear is a winter/wet tire. I have used them for 1 year and I dont mind them. I drove a lot of rural roads, unploughed roads and highways in the winter and they seem to handle them just fine. Mind you I am using them an on Assymetric AWD car. The noise factor is a considerable point, I am used to it because my all seasons are low profile z-rated tires that are a little louder than usual so it does not bother me as much.
However it is a little concerning that the previous owner used them year round, you might want to look into the graining and wear on the tire.
Did you mean "symetrical" AWD and that you drive a subaru?
Jackpot_Smooth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jackpot_Smooth For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2011, 09:37 AM   #344
BagoPucks
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackpot_Smooth View Post
Did you mean "symetrical" AWD and that you drive a subaru?
yes subaru. I was trying to proof read the post but I gave up and just posted it.
BagoPucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:39 AM   #345
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord700 View Post
Costco doesn't do free tire on rim swaps anymore. Any other place that does here in Calgary?
No, typically a business exists to make money.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2011, 09:42 AM   #346
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Kal-Tire will do tire and wheel swaps for free if you bought the tires from them
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:51 AM   #347
username
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
does anyone have any experience with Hancook Icebear tires? the pre-owned car i just bought came with them on it and it looks like they've been used year round. i'm guessing they're an all-weather tires like the Nokian WR's? i had the Nokians on my old car and they were great in the snow, just wondering if the Hancooks are equivalent or if i'm going to notice a big difference
I don't have any experience with them but I do value what consumer reports has to say about tires. They actually have the Hancook Icebear tire rated the worst of all their tested winter tires (yes it's a winter tire).

If they've been using that tire year round and it's the worst rated winter tire on consumer reports then you might want to think about replacing them......at least that's what I would do mind you I spend a lot of time on the highways in the winter going snowboarding.
username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:51 AM   #348
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Kal-Tire will also bend you over and charge you $500 more for the tires than anyone else*

*bitter customer experience based on 235/40R18 tires. Not all customers will recieve $1600 winter tire quotes from Kal. Bitter customer was also told his punctured tire was not suitable for repair and he would need to buy 4 new ones as the 2 month old tires had worn enough that for his AWD vehicle the tread difference would be too great. A $14 Canadian tire self repair kit ended up being the answer instead of their suggestion I spend $1400 for a new set of summers... again.
Bill Bumface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:31 AM   #349
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkrogan View Post
Kal-Tire will also bend you over and charge you $500 more for the tires than anyone else*

*bitter customer experience based on 235/40R18 tires. Not all customers will recieve $1600 winter tire quotes from Kal. Bitter customer was also told his punctured tire was not suitable for repair and he would need to buy 4 new ones as the 2 month old tires had worn enough that for his AWD vehicle the tread difference would be too great. A $14 Canadian tire self repair kit ended up being the answer instead of their suggestion I spend $1400 for a new set of summers... again.
I bought a car this spring that needs the same specs as yours. What did you end up with for Winters? Any place/tires you recommend?
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:24 PM   #350
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Noob question (as this paper-pushing mouse jockey prepares to do another changeover in my garage this weekend):

On my new (new to me) vehicle, each rim has one of those lug nut locks. I have the "key" piece for it that attaches onto my torque wrench bit. If I was to ditch the locks all together (I don't foresee someone stealing factory Mazda rims from a Mazda5, and particularly not my winter steel wheels), would I just replace the lock with a lug nut that matches the rest?

Any reason to keep the locks on (other than the potential of theft)? I guess I am just scared that I'll misplace the key part and I'll have to pay out of my nose for one.

This is my first experience with these locks, so please excuse my ignorance and let me thank you in advance for your help.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:26 PM   #351
burnin_vernon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Has anyone ever used the Goodyear Silent Armors? I am about to get a set of 4 for my truck and with Fountain Tires 25% of sale, it's an installed price of $1000.
burnin_vernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:37 PM   #352
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If you purchased your tires from them they do, at least they did last year.
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:50 PM   #353
Jackpot_Smooth
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
Noob question (as this paper-pushing mouse jockey prepares to do another changeover in my garage this weekend):

On my new (new to me) vehicle, each rim has one of those lug nut locks. I have the "key" piece for it that attaches onto my torque wrench bit. If I was to ditch the locks all together (I don't foresee someone stealing factory Mazda rims from a Mazda5, and particularly not my winter steel wheels), would I just replace the lock with a lug nut that matches the rest?

Any reason to keep the locks on (other than the potential of theft)? I guess I am just scared that I'll misplace the key part and I'll have to pay out of my nose for one.

This is my first experience with these locks, so please excuse my ignorance and let me thank you in advance for your help.
If you're not worried about theft then just go buy 4 lugs and forget the lock ones. If you are worried about losing the key though, while difficult, it is possible to remove them without the key.
Jackpot_Smooth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jackpot_Smooth For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2011, 03:35 PM   #354
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I bought a set of Blizzaks off of tirerack.com last month. Can't wait to put them on - I had Blizzaks a long time ago on a different vehicle and they were unstoppable. They're replacing some Goodyear Nordics that are kinda meh.
What was the size, cost and delivery charge? Thanks.
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 03:47 PM   #355
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan View Post
What was the size, cost and delivery charge? Thanks.
$667 for tires including delivery/fees/everything. Size was 215 65R16.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 03:49 PM   #356
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

My winter tires are mounted on their own rims. When I get them installed on my car do I need to get them balanced every time? Same goes for in the spring when I put my summers back on.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 03:49 PM   #357
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

So you guys who are buying the tires online: do you just take them into a tire shop for mounting on the rims? What do shops charge just for mounting?
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 03:52 PM   #358
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
So you guys who are buying the tires online: do you just take them into a tire shop for mounting on the rims? What do shops charge just for mounting?
That's what I do. I can't remember how much it is...maybe $100ish?
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2011, 04:03 PM   #359
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I would sure like to know how some of you are saving when buying tires online. After I factor in shipping (sites that don't charge shipping have higher prices on the tire), mounting and balancing, there is simply no way I can save versus buying locally.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post
My winter tires are mounted on their own rims. When I get them installed on my car do I need to get them balanced every time? Same goes for in the spring when I put my summers back on.
If they stay on the same wheels, there is no reason to keep balancing them each time you put them on the car.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2011, 04:07 PM   #360
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Had them on a Mazda 6 Wagon, which is quite low to the ground and often suffered on the side streets during the first year I had the vehicle without winters. Next winter I got the Hankooks and thought they were fantastic. No more getting stuck on non-plowed side streets, great on the highway, and great on the prairie snow covered roads heading out to relatives for Christmas. Thumbs up from me.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote