Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2012, 10:14 PM   #341
Gundo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Had some Alley Burger today still pretty damn good..... And can't beat those duck fat fries.
Gundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:58 PM   #342
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swayze11 View Post
I am amazed there are very little mentions of Burger Inn. Best burger I have ever had.
I have fond memories of the Burger Inn that was on Bow Trail - circa about 10 years ago.

Last year went to the Burger Inn in Mission... one of the worst experiences I've ever had. Patty was bland, obviously from a box of frozen pre-made crap, bun was stale, toppings sparse, fries over done and the pop flat.

Not to mention the state of the restaurant looked like it hadn't been cleaned or even maintained in about 5 years.

Maybe it was an off day... but I'm not going back - not with so many other awesome options out there (mainly 5 Guys, deerfoot meadows).
llama64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:09 PM   #343
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Hitchin Post a foothills favourite

http://www.westernwheel.com/article/...307139945/0/js

I mentioned this previously.

So sad that they took down all the trees and eating areas when they did the round about.

Food is still good, but it's not the same.......
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2012, 01:26 PM   #344
aaronck
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama64 View Post
I have fond memories of the Burger Inn that was on Bow Trail - circa about 10 years ago.

Last year went to the Burger Inn in Mission... one of the worst experiences I've ever had. Patty was bland, obviously from a box of frozen pre-made crap, bun was stale, toppings sparse, fries over done and the pop flat.

Not to mention the state of the restaurant looked like it hadn't been cleaned or even maintained in about 5 years.

Maybe it was an off day... but I'm not going back - not with so many other awesome options out there (mainly 5 Guys, deerfoot meadows).
I used to go to the one in the Brick Plaza all the time, It was mostly staffed by the owner I think, we just called him "Happy Guy" because he was always in a great mood. I've stopped going for some reason, I think I should pop by, they were very good burgers. I still have a burger card in my wallet!
aaronck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:51 PM   #345
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama64 View Post

I used to go there a few times. Then I got served a burger that was bright pink in the middle.

As someone who had a brother nearly die from E-Coli, that was enough to turn me off. Not worth the months of re-coup for their average fair.

Like others said, way better options now in town. They were the best a long time ago, the market has just grown past.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 02:01 PM   #346
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronck View Post
I used to go to the one in the Brick Plaza all the time, It was mostly staffed by the owner I think, we just called him "Happy Guy" because he was always in a great mood. I've stopped going for some reason, I think I should pop by, they were very good burgers. I still have a burger card in my wallet!
Used to drop by there about once a month when I lived in the London Towers with an ex-gf.

The fries were awesome, if soggy. The burgers were so simple, yet so good.

For some reason, I liked Tommy Burger. Too bad it shut down- but every time I went there, I left having enjoyed my food. Has anything new gone in that location?
Old 05-10-2012, 08:33 PM   #347
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDVAN View Post
Used to drop by there about once a month when I lived in the London Towers with an ex-gf.

The fries were awesome, if soggy. The burgers were so simple, yet so good.

For some reason, I liked Tommy Burger. Too bad it shut down- but every time I went there, I left having enjoyed my food. Has anything new gone in that location?
Nope. Sign's still up.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:36 PM   #348
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tried out Clive Burger today.

The place had great atmosphere, and staff was nice and friendly. Tattooed fedora hipster customer quotient was pretty high, but you get over it.

The burgers come as advertised....basic ingredients, but good ones. The first thought that popped into my head as a I took the first bite was "high-end Harveys".....not really sure why. I thought it was really good though....not holy-#### awesome, but a solid 8.

I liked the fries too. They were more floppy/soggy than most, but I prefer them that way myself. They came with what I can only imagine was the "Clive Sauce'. Whatever it was, it was tangy, and I really liked it.

Pricey place, so I'm not sure I'll be going too often, but since it's only a couple of blocks way I'm sure I will make it back sooner or later.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 04:41 PM   #349
Notorious Honey Badger
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

On eat st today on Food network (right now actually) they're highlighting alley burger.

It looks pretty intense lol
Notorious Honey Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 04:56 PM   #350
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I just heard about Clive Burger the other day, where is it exactly? On 17th by Melrose?
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:36 PM   #351
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yep, by Melrose.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2012, 09:06 PM   #352
Bane
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I checked out Smashburger this afternoon, and quality wise I would say it is on par with 5 Guys. I tried the mushroom swiss burger with the haystack onions on the side. The burger was tasty, but a wee bit on the salty side (not enough to make it unpalatable though). I rate it a solid 8/10.

The onions were a great side, and the selections of sides in general were far better than 5 Guys. The service and decor were also superior to 5 Guys.

Smashburger was doing brisk business today in the mid afternoon, but the line up moved fairly quick.
Bane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:38 AM   #353
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Our new review at Burgerquest.ca is up. This week we look at CB's.
http://www.burgerquest.ca/1/post/201...drive-inn.html

Our review of Smash will go up early next week. We are also taking a lot of the input you guys have provided and re-designing the site, hopefully it will be up in a month.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2012, 11:59 AM   #354
darockwilder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The last time I was at CB's was probably 3-4 years ago. I went around 7 or so and was sitting at one of the picnic tables when someone who had just gone through the drive through went back through it a second time and started yelling at the person inside. The patron then THREW the hamburger through the window at the employee and drove off like the a-hole he likely is. The lights were immediately turned off and the Closed sign went up and I'm sitting there like Forrest Gump. Good times.
darockwilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:29 PM   #355
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

I knew this was going to happen. CB's weak link is their burgers, which is unfortunate because they're a burger joint. But I still find myself going there from time to time for the fries, which are way better than they should be considering they're just Superfries, and the owner, who is a hoot. I also like getting a slush, which is extra refreshing on a hot day.

I do wish someone could convince them to improve the burgers, but they're always busy so there really isn't an incentive. Anyway, I'm sure I'll be having at least one Master cheese combo this summer and enjoying it as much as anything you can get at the "high-end" joints.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:43 PM   #356
dancingoyster
Backup Goalie

Exp:

2 places come to mind.

That place in Cross Iron Mills (not in the food fair -Southside burger?) Expensive as hell, but was awesome. Just had one of thier cbaiscs (bacon Chedder - was very impressed.

The socond one is on Ogden road in a ####ty litte building kind of near the rail yard. Don't know what its called, but the laoded doube burger (Mushrooms bacon and everything was really good.
dancingoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:04 PM   #357
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancingoyster View Post
2 places come to mind.

That place in Cross Iron Mills (not in the food fair -Southside burger?) Expensive as hell, but was awesome. Just had one of thier cbaiscs (bacon Chedder - was very impressed.

The socond one is on Ogden road in a ####ty litte building kind of near the rail yard. Don't know what its called, but the laoded doube burger (Mushrooms bacon and everything was really good.
Is that one on Ogden Road Sunny's?

We are planning on hitting South Street soon. We want to tackle some of the new joints first including Clive and then we'll get on South Street, Burger Inn, etc.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:15 PM   #358
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Was out on Sunday and very disappointed to see Tommy's Burger Bar closed down.

Anyone know how long that's been?
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:39 PM   #359
dhc-2
Farm Team Player

Exp:

I don't know exactly how long, but probably upwards of 4 months. Happened quite suddenly, no idea why. I just assume not enough business. Burgers and food were great, but I never saw the place more than 1/3 full, and that was at lunch time.
It almost seemed like they couldn't decide if they wanted to be a burger joint or an upscale pub.
And probably having the tried & tested Burger Inn just across the parking lot didn't help matters.
dhc-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:48 PM   #360
aaronck
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daradon View Post
Was out on Sunday and very disappointed to see Tommy's Burger Bar closed down.

Anyone know how long that's been?
Early this year I think. I think they got new owners who cheaped out on the product, they did at one point make decent food, but it seemed to go downhill then closed down. Lucky Burger Inn is really close
aaronck is online now   Reply With Quote