Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2022, 08:37 AM   #341
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_in_Canada View Post
Outside of preseason has Tanev worn a A this season?
Now that you mention it no, I don't believe he has. Looked through a handful of game photo galleries, home and away, November December Jan and Feb, and he's not wearing it in any of them.

Sutter probably forgot.

Last edited by FormerPresJamesTaylor; 02-22-2022 at 08:40 AM.
FormerPresJamesTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 08:42 AM   #342
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I always assumed that the Flames didn't name a captain this season because they had a handshake agreement with Gio at the time of the Kraken draft that after this season the Flames would offer him a contract to play out his last year(s) with the Flames.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 08:43 AM   #343
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wouldn't name a captain now. Its already the one of the most over-rated aspects of a team by the fans, but the team is rolling, why shake things up.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2022, 08:47 AM   #344
The Fisher Account
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I always assumed that the Flames didn't name a captain this season because they had a handshake agreement with Gio at the time of the Kraken draft that after this season the Flames would offer him a contract to play out his last year(s) with the Flames.
Fans need to let go of this dream and just let Gio end his career someplace else.

As this season has shown, we don't need him to be successful. Time to move on.
The Fisher Account is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 08:50 AM   #345
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisher Account View Post
Can we just give it to Chucky now, so that we have a designee who can lift the Cup in June?
Last time the Flames won the Cup, they had three captains who all lifted it simultaneously. Hopefully two of them don't have to do it in pajamas this time.
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sidney Crosby's Hat For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2022, 08:51 AM   #346
The Fisher Account
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney Crosby's Hat View Post
Last time the Flames won the Cup, they had three captains who all lifted it simultaneously. Hopefully two of them don't have to do it in pajamas this time.
Yeah the Stanley Cup handoff in their underwear is not the classiest Cup raising of all time LOL
The Fisher Account is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 08:53 AM   #347
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Fans need to let go of this dream and just let Gio end his career someplace else.

Even if Gio comes back he shouldn't walk back as captain.
FormerPresJamesTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FormerPresJamesTaylor For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2022, 08:53 AM   #348
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I don't want Gio either back but I have the feeling he's going to be back in a Flames jersey again. Treliving and Darryl love veteran defensemen and I assume they think he has gas in the tank. I just hope it's not at the trade deadline with assets going the other way.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2022, 08:54 AM   #349
PugnaciousIntern
First Line Centre

Exp:

As far as leadership and stability is concerned, I get the impression that Sutter himself is fulfilling many of the captain roles. Certainly more that any other coach in recent memory. He wanted a significant mentality change in the team, and unfortunately moving on from Gio as the guiding star was a necessary part of that. I imagine that continuing on without a captain is part of his pruning/reshaping process. Finally, along the lines of the pressers when Gio came back to Calgary, all the players commented on how they are working ‘by committee’. Almost as if they all feel a greater individual responsibility now

Edit: GullFoss already said the same thing that I’m thinking, on the last page, much more succinctly

Last edited by PugnaciousIntern; 02-22-2022 at 09:08 AM.
PugnaciousIntern is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PugnaciousIntern For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2022, 09:33 AM   #350
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Tkachuk signs long term, he will be the Captain.

Johnny has never worn a letter so that means either he doesn't want it or he doesn't have leadership qualities and that's OK.

Backs will raise the Cup as the longest tenured Flame, and who has worn an A for a long time. Anyone's guess who he'll pass it to - could be Monahan as the 2nd longest tenured, or it could be a long line of Swedes just passing it to each other.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 09:35 AM   #351
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
While I am never a “best player has to be captain” guy I also think your captain should at least be able to be a regular player.

I kinda figured at the time that the real captain was Hunter, but they didn’t want to admit that an enforcer was captain and they didn’t want to disrespect Lanny, so they had them both plus Peplinski, who was a Flames lifer and a few games senior to Hunter as far as Flames history went. But it goes to show, I guess, how unimportant an actual captain is.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 09:38 AM   #352
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post

Johnny has never worn a letter so that means either he doesn't want it or he doesn't have leadership qualities and that's OK.

Backs will raise the Cup as the longest tenured Flame, and who has worn an A for a long time. Anyone's guess who he'll pass it to - could be Monahan as the 2nd longest tenured, or it could be a long line of Swedes just passing it to each other.
I wouldn’t have said so prior to this year, but maybe. Chucky has matured a lot this year (Sutter influence).

Tanev is a possibility. I actually think Rasmus may be a leader as well.
Old 02-22-2022, 09:42 AM   #353
the-rasta-masta
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
What was the deal with that? I know Hunter and Peplinski didn't play Game 6, but shouldn't they have been in suits? Or put on their full gear at least?
the-rasta-masta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 09:47 AM   #354
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-rasta-masta View Post
What was the deal with that? I know Hunter and Peplinski didn't play Game 6, but shouldn't they have been in suits? Or put on their full gear at least?
They were visionaries and leaders. They saw an issue where players not playing in the game weren't in uniform for the cup celebration. They knew that they had to make changes and they knew that simply putting on gear wouldn't be as impactful. So they got into their underwear and went out to show the world how ridiculous they looked. People took notice and decided to NOT be like those two guys. By and large it worked.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 09:51 AM   #355
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-rasta-masta View Post
Apparently they were working out? That’s the line in this story. But I tend to think it was because they wanted a red flaming C shirt for the pic. Fun fact - Joel Otto isn’t in that pic because he went to the room for some reason.

https://calgarysun.com/sports/hockey...up-win-in-1989

I didn’t know that Loob had already decided to go back to Sweden before the win.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2022, 10:43 AM   #356
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just want Phillips to be captain for one day.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2022, 10:47 AM   #357
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
I wouldn't name a captain now. Its already the one of the most over-rated aspects of a team by the fans, but the team is rolling, why shake things up.
Yup.

Why have guys that were quietly bidding for it question why they weren't picked as you're heading into an important playoff run.

For a team that needs to win by committee, it might even play to their advantage for no one to wear the C.

They're all one twenty-thirds of the C.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 10:48 AM   #358
mennoknight
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
They were visionaries and leaders. They saw an issue where players not playing in the game weren't in uniform for the cup celebration. They knew that they had to make changes and they knew that simply putting on gear wouldn't be as impactful. So they got into their underwear and went out to show the world how ridiculous they looked. People took notice and decided to NOT be like those two guys. By and large it worked.
"Tim Hunter...visionary" is not a combination of words I expected to read when I woke up today
Old 02-22-2022, 10:50 AM   #359
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post

I think it's just cause Johnny is traditionally a quiet guy in the room. He's not one to be leading ceremonies, giving pep talks to a room full of guys and being in front of the camera more than he needs to.

And like you said, that's okay. If he wants to lead on the ice, all the more power to him. I'd be happy to give him an A after his extension.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 11:15 AM   #360
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gio would be a cheap replacement on the bottom pairing @ $1m.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote