Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2019, 06:59 AM   #341
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
Gotta wonder what people are thinking right?

Costco gas at Deerfoot Meadows has at LEAST a 10 - 15 min lineup almost always. A block or two away, you can zoom into Co-op's gas bar for a penny more a litre, not get out of the car and be in and out of there in 5 minutes paying a whopping 30-50 cents more a tank than Costco. PLUS, if I'm not mistaken, if you're a member (I'm not) you get a nickle or something back per litre into your membership share equity!
The masses have an irrational sensitivity towards gasoline prices. Most people wouldn't think of waiting in line for 20+ minutes to save a dollar for anything but when it comes to gasoline prices people will drive to a gas station out of their way and wait in line to save a totally insignificant amount of money.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2019, 07:00 AM   #342
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

well go figure, at the local esso in mackenzie towne i believe that gas was something like $1.15 last thrusday, then went up to $1.18 on friday, then $1.23 for Saturday and sunday and then it appears to be back down to $1.18 this morning
Old 04-01-2019, 07:37 AM   #343
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
Co-op is now 8 cents per litre (was 6 cents). I don’t have a lot of share equity, so I get about 50% of that towards equity, and 50% as cash back each year. Still - 4 cents into my pocket (eventually) is better than any other loyalty program I believe.
I might be wrong on this but of that 8 cents isn’t part of that instant savings? So the posted price is $1.15 instead of the $1.18 it would have been had there not been an instant savings?
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 08:13 AM   #344
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
I might be wrong on this but of that 8 cents isn’t part of that instant savings? So the posted price is $1.15 instead of the $1.18 it would have been had there not been an instant savings?
Don't remember now whether it's $0.06 or $0.08, but essentially, I get back half that as a yearly rebate cheque. The other half goes to their equity fund, which I have no idea whether it really gives me any benefit. I'd rather they give me back the whole $0.08, but what are you gonna do?

It's kind of nice to track how many litres you've used throughout the year too. And no stupid wait times like at Costco, plus there seems to be COOP gas stations everywhere around the city. That in itself is already a big plus vs. going to Costco.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 08:14 AM   #345
billybob123
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
Still - 4 cents into my pocket (eventually) is better than any other loyalty program I believe.
Superstore with a PC Mastercard is 7 cents equivalent in grocery points. It's still my go-to. Superstore gas is now Mobil (owned by Imperial I think?) and you get 3 cents equivalent back from stand-alone Esso now as well with the PC mastercard. Co-op is good too.

I also noticed the Costco discount is weak now as well. I was in Hawaii last year and their discount was $1 per gallon, so essentially 25 cents a litre. That's worth the wait on a 50 L tankful. Not so much on the 1 cent per litre!
billybob123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 08:34 AM   #346
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob123 View Post
Superstore with a PC Mastercard is 7 cents equivalent in grocery points. It's still my go-to. Superstore gas is now Mobil (owned by Imperial I think?) and you get 3 cents equivalent back from stand-alone Esso now as well with the PC mastercard. Co-op is good too.

I also noticed the Costco discount is weak now as well. I was in Hawaii last year and their discount was $1 per gallon, so essentially 25 cents a litre. That's worth the wait on a 50 L tankful. Not so much on the 1 cent per litre!
Mobil is essentially Esso.
Old 04-01-2019, 08:36 AM   #347
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
The other half goes to their equity fund, which I have no idea whether it really gives me any benefit. I'd rather they give me back the whole $0.08, but what are you gonna do?
It actually goes into your own equity in Co-op. And as your equity goes up, so does your percentage. Currently I have around $1800 in equity, and I now get 85-90% of my rebate back. You can cash in your equity when you turn 65, or if you move out of the Calgary market. So you do get that money back eventually.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2019, 07:28 AM   #348
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Gas in b.c. today $1.64/liter. Horgan says he’s monitoring it, whatever that means.
Old 04-05-2019, 07:30 AM   #349
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
Gas in b.c. today $1.64/liter. Horgan says he’s monitoring it, whatever that means.
Good.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2019, 07:40 AM   #350
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

All of BC has the same gas price? Neat.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2019, 07:44 AM   #351
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gasbuddy map shows a couple stations in Vancouver. Most of the rest of the province is in the 1.40's. I assume this is temporary shortage due to the seasonal fuel switchover? Oil prices have been going up, but not that much.
Old 04-05-2019, 08:23 AM   #352
Leondros
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...cord-1.5085405

Quote:
Horgan says his government will monitor prices at the pumps over the summer after they reached the benchmark record of almost $1.64 a litre Thursday in Metro Vancouver, but he also suggested provincial taxes aren't the only factor affecting prices.

He says he can't explain a 12 cent a litre increase and perhaps the industry should invest more in refineries and the federal government should invest more in supply.
Ya, lets just invest more in the industry and supply guys...
Leondros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 09:14 AM   #353
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Didn’t b.c. have three refineries but they’re now down to two because they let the third one close? I think it was a shell refinery but might be mistaken.

Horgan should ask himself why nobody from the private sector wants to invest in a refinery. Who would be funding the new 10 billion dollar refinery that Horgan would build?
Old 04-05-2019, 09:16 AM   #354
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leondros View Post
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...cord-1.5085405

Ya, lets just invest more in the industry and supply guys...
LOL did he really say that?
Old 04-05-2019, 09:37 AM   #355
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Gasbuddy map shows a couple stations in Vancouver. Most of the rest of the province is in the 1.40's. I assume this is temporary shortage due to the seasonal fuel switchover? Oil prices have been going up, but not that much.

In Vancouver $0.17 per litre is added at the pump for Translink taxes. As a person who buys most of his gas in Vancouver, that number could go to $0.50 and it wouldn't bother me. I think the more measures the province and city take to curb the amount of driving, the better. I thought removing the tolls from the Fraser Bridge was stupid for a number of reasons. The biggest was that it put more cars on the road. By giving Vancouver better, and safer options, such as transit and cycling infrastructure, it will reduce the amount of cars on the road. By making it punitive for drivers to buy gas, while offsetting public transit costs, you'd also force people out of their cars and into transit, which is beneficial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2019, 09:40 AM   #356
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
The masses have an irrational sensitivity towards gasoline prices. Most people wouldn't think of waiting in line for 20+ minutes to save a dollar for anything but when it comes to gasoline prices people will drive to a gas station out of their way and wait in line to save a totally insignificant amount of money.
Between Timmy's drive-thru lineups to gas, car wash, or quick lube places, I think I have WAY less patience than your average person does when it comes to just sitting in your car in a lineup. If there's more than maybe 1 or 2 cars in a Timmy's drive-thru, I'm going inside. More than 1 or 2 cars for any of the latter things I mentioned, I'll say forget it, we'll try another time. I don't know how people do it.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 09:41 AM   #357
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
In Vancouver $0.17 per litre is added at the pump for Translink taxes. As a person who buys most of his gas in Vancouver, that number could go to $0.50 and it wouldn't bother me. I think the more measures the province and city take to curb the amount of driving, the better. I thought removing the tolls from the Fraser Bridge was stupid for a number of reasons. The biggest was that it put more cars on the road. By giving Vancouver better, and safer options, such as transit and cycling infrastructure, it will reduce the amount of cars on the road. By making it punitive for drivers to buy gas, while offsetting public transit costs, you'd also force people out of their cars and into transit, which is beneficial.
Last time I was there I was amazed just how bad traffic was. Vancouver definitely needs fewer vehicles. People like to complain about Calgary traffic and bike lanes ruining everything, but traffic here is a dream compared to Vancouver roads.
Old 04-05-2019, 09:47 AM   #358
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
Or into more efficient vehicles. SUVs everywhere is the worst. People should be in cars ffs.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2019, 09:49 AM   #359
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Between Timmy's drive-thru lineups to gas, car wash, or quick lube places, I think I have WAY less patience than your average person does when it comes to just sitting in your car in a lineup. If there's more than maybe 1 or 2 cars in a Timmy's drive-thru, I'm going inside. More than 1 or 2 cars for any of the latter things I mentioned, I'll say forget it, we'll try another time. I don't know how people do it.
I love chilling in my car. I'm the guy that will go to the drive-thru then sit in my car to eat in the parking lot. Listen to my music, perfect climate, play on my phone. I don't get people that will sit in a hard plastic chair in a crappy Wendy's versus in their car.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2019, 10:58 AM   #360
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I love chilling in my car. I'm the guy that will go to the drive-thru then sit in my car to eat in the parking lot. Listen to my music, perfect climate, play on my phone. I don't get people that will sit in a hard plastic chair in a crappy Wendy's versus in their car.
I'm the opposite, mostly because I don't want the fast food odour to linger in my car.
snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to snootchiebootchies For This Useful Post: