Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2024, 12:28 PM   #341
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Open AI recently showed off it's AI video generator. Pretty incredible, considering where we were with images a year ago.

https://openai.com/sora?video=big-sur

What caught my eye was the behavior of the waves. It's not perfect though, as you can watch as it effortlessly duplicates the cat's left paw.

https://openai.com/sora?video=cat-on-bed

The octopus movements look very natural, but the floppy legged crab gives it away.

https://openai.com/sora?video=big-su...topus-and-crab

But damn, humanity is in real trouble. We won't be able to trust anything anymore, and that starts just in time for the next US election cycle.

Last edited by Fuzz; 02-16-2024 at 12:35 PM.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2024, 12:42 PM   #342
Leeman4Gilmour
First Line Centre

Exp:

That is blowing my mind. It can't be too long (if it hasn't been done already) that you'll be able to upload your favourite book and watch it moments later.
Leeman4Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 12:57 PM   #343
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah it's been like 12 hours since it broke and there are already so many amazing videos created by people.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 01:01 PM   #344
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Absolutely great Louis Menand's article in the New Yorker Magazine about the future of copyright in light of AI advancement. The lawyers are going to make a LOT of money. I loved his questions around AI-generated voices signing modern song material.
Quote:
...People loved the A.I.-generated version of Johnny Cash singing a Taylor Swift song, which was posted online last year by a person in Texas named Dustin Ballard. But who owns it? Could Taylor Swift sue? Probably not, since it’s a cover. Does the Cash estate have an ownership claim? Not necessarily, since you can’t copyright a style or a voice. Dustin Ballard? He neither composed nor performed the song. No one? Does it belong to all the world?
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...gu-book-review
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainYooh For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2024, 04:16 PM   #345
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Open AI recently showed off it's AI video generator. Pretty incredible, considering where we were with images a year ago.

What caught my eye was the behavior of the waves. It's not perfect though, as you can watch as it effortlessly duplicates the cat's left paw.

The octopus movements look very natural, but the floppy legged crab gives it away.

But damn, humanity is in real trouble. We won't be able to trust anything anymore, and that starts just in time for the next US election cycle.

The human’s arms are pretty wonky too, not to mention their facial expression.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 06:43 PM   #346
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Those 2 are probably some of the worst examples they have, there is a lot more on their research page with mind blowing videos. My personal favourite is #3 (the UFO one) in my opinion is an absolute masterpiece, this one in particular has many cinematographers freaking out on reddit as it can easily pass for commercial work.

I've been working with AI video generators for months and been part of several betas, Stable Diffusion Video, Pika Labs, Runway were the 3 big ones and considering where it started they were pretty decent but limited to 4 seconds at best, and you'd have to stitch them up in a video editing software like Davinci Resolve to be useable. Open AI just came and blew out everyone on the same day that Google announces Gemini 1.5 with 1 million tokens

I mean, text to video wasn't even a thing last year at this time, this video is how we started 10 months ago (Chinese company trained a text to video concept using shutterstock footage, I still remember using it and being wow'd)

No one, and I mean absolutely no one from the AI community thought we were going to see Sora's quality for another 1-2 years. And OpenAI, which did not have a text to video model out at all, pulls this out of their ass.

Last edited by Firebot; 02-16-2024 at 06:52 PM.
Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Firebot For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2024, 07:09 PM   #347
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

On a bad side of AI, Calgary Farmer's market has caused quite a bit of controversy recently by running a new campaign with AI generated images and introducing it on Instagram. Their website and market has been redesigned with these images, which are pretty poor quality considering where AI image generation is these days (several of the animals have 3 fingers for example)

https://www.calgaryfarmersmarket.ca/

They released a statement on Instagram a few days ago defending its use as the outrage grew. Problem was, their statement was clearly AI generated. Chatgpt has a few tendencies and quirks where it loves to use certain words to the point of obsession. Words like Whimsical, testament, symphony, I hope this e-mail finds you well and their response has several of these words multiple times.

I think AI use is inevitable, but when bad AI is done, it sticks out like a sore thumb. The reality is, even as companies like OpenAI / Microsoft, Google, Meta take measures to align their models to society, embed hidden watermarks in AI generated images and videos, all of these can be circumvented, perhaps not today, but tomorrow these will. We saw the epic OpenAI mutiny over alignment a few months ago, with Sam Altman and Microsoft winning the tug of war.

The future is interesting.

Last edited by Firebot; 02-16-2024 at 07:11 PM.
Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 10:00 AM   #348
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

I joking said to my friend chat that it wouldn't be more than 5 years before we had tools where couples could upload to a secure app nude videos and pictures of themselves, and, have AI create hardcore high quality xxx videos featuring themselves. Like titanic? redo it with you and your significant other instead of Kate and Leo, and, splice in hardcore sex.

Now the only thing ridiculous about that is the 5 year time line.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 10:07 AM   #349
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
I joking said to my friend chat that it wouldn't be more than 5 years before we had tools where couples could upload to a secure app nude videos and pictures of themselves, and, have AI create hardcore high quality xxx videos featuring themselves. Like titanic? redo it with you and your significant other instead of Kate and Leo, and, splice in hardcore sex.

Now the only thing ridiculous about that is the 5 year time line.
Umm sign me up!!

Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 12:06 PM   #350
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1758334859175498182
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 01:04 PM   #351
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Anyone want to build something like Heritage Park, but with a modern hospital and start a commune with me?
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2024, 01:18 PM   #352
ThisIsAnOutrage
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Probably. But there's a small chance that anything digital becomes so.unreliable, so untrustworthy, that people will revert to getting news from more reliable sources than the interent. Back to the days of sleuth investigative journalism, live interviews, and in person accountability.
Old 02-17-2024, 02:25 PM   #353
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Guy gets some money back after the Air Canada chatbot told a guy the incorrect information about bereavement airfare rates and policies. The Civil Resolution Tribunal ruled that Air Canada's argument that it can't be held responsible for its own chatbot didn't fly.

https://gizmodo.com/air-canada-chatb...und-1851263670

Of course the "fix" will be to put a disclaimer "Sorry this useless tool on our website can give false information, don't trust it."
Old 02-17-2024, 03:16 PM   #354
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Guy gets some money back after the Air Canada chatbot told a guy the incorrect information about bereavement airfare rates and policies. The Civil Resolution Tribunal ruled that Air Canada's argument that it can't be held responsible for its own chatbot didn't fly.

https://gizmodo.com/air-canada-chatb...und-1851263670

Of course the "fix" will be to put a disclaimer "Sorry this useless tool on our website can give false information, don't trust it."
It’s too bad this doesn’t apply to meatbots as well. I’ve been lied to so many times by customer service people who just make #### up to get you off the line, with zero accountability.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2024, 03:42 PM   #355
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
It’s too bad this doesn’t apply to meatbots as well. I’ve been lied to so many times by customer service people who just make #### up to get you off the line, with zero accountability.
Its incredible how pervasive it is. We need stronger consumer rights.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 05:03 PM   #356
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

I was writing some C code for image matching and used ChatGPT to help write some of the functions to do case conversion. In some cases writes whole functions. I finalized my program and executed it and got great results. But some 40 hours in, it occurred to me to check my work and I had ChatGPT within about 30 minutes produce everything I did in 40 hours.

So it gave me a checksum to validate my work was correct, it needed to be told precisely how to do it, which wasn't to painful, but the prompt cannot be saved for future use.

Last edited by calgarywinning; 02-17-2024 at 08:40 PM.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 10:40 AM   #357
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
I foresee an upcoming battle between the "no AI used" and "no animals harmed" camps.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 10:44 AM   #358
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
Anyone want to build something like Heritage Park, but with a modern hospital and start a commune with me?
Might as well just start with Heritage Park and Rockyview since they're already close. Eat the rich in Eagle Ridge and we'll have extra land and an available water supply.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to D as in David For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2024, 04:55 PM   #359
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
Might as well just start with Heritage Park and Rockyview since they're already close. Eat the rich in Eagle Ridge and we'll have extra land and an available water supply.
We've found our mayor.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 06:42 PM   #360
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1759266687105265708
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
they will overtake us