Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2022, 01:53 PM   #341
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hate bumping old threads but I just walked past the site and 4 years after kicking people from their homes no development just the remnants of empty pads,junk and dirt piles.

Hope Nenshi and the City are happy with this eyesore
Snuffleupagus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 02:24 PM   #342
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

But think of all of the Tornadoes that have never hit us as a direct result!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2022, 02:30 PM   #343
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Hate bumping old threads but I just walked past the site and 4 years after kicking people from their homes no development just the remnants of empty pads,junk and dirt piles.

I don't even remember what the plan was for this site. It seems like it would be a great place for a low income, transitional housing project since our city needs it and affordable housing is major news now across Canada. The only thing that site lacks is easy access to the LRT but at least it has access for some of those major BRT routes.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 02:59 PM   #344
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hope Nenshi and the City are happy with this eyesore [/QUOTE]

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 03:14 PM   #345
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

As was stated multiple times to anyone who would listen, it was never about evicting poor people so the land could be quickly redeveloped.

The utility services to the park were poorly designed and poorly built and were in drastic need of repairs. Unfortunately, because of how the park was built, those repairs couldn't be done with the homes in place, and despite the name "mobile home", they couldn't be safely moved without essentially destroying them.

It will be redeveloped, and should be pretty nice when it's done, but there's no rush to do it: https://www.calgary.ca/realestate/MidfieldHeights.html

According to that timeline, the site servicing construction is set to begin this year, and new development will begin next year.
Old 05-08-2022, 05:05 PM   #346
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
As was stated multiple times to anyone who would listen, it was never about evicting poor people so the land could be quickly redeveloped.

The utility services to the park were poorly designed and poorly built and were in drastic need of repairs. Unfortunately, because of how the park was built, those repairs couldn't be done with the homes in place, and despite the name "mobile home", they couldn't be safely moved without essentially destroying them.

It will be redeveloped, and should be pretty nice when it's done, but there's no rush to do it: https://www.calgary.ca/realestate/MidfieldHeights.html

According to that timeline, the site servicing construction is set to begin this year, and new development will begin next year.
As one without a dog in the fight I read this as it was about evicting poor people that were happy with their crappy utilities for no good reason at all years before they actually needed to be moved
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 06:02 PM   #347
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
As one without a dog in the fight I read this as it was about evicting poor people that were happy with their crappy utilities for no good reason at all years before they actually needed to be moved
I’m gonna take a leap here and assume an additional 4 years of daily use with the associated wear & tear was one of the factors that went into the decision.

Kinda like when they closed the old zoo bridge to traffic before the new one was completed because they found additional structural defects.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 06:52 PM   #348
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post

What was there before was definitely more of an eyesore than what it is now.

What's planned will be a huge revitalization of that spot. Frankly, the city could gentrify that even more than they are planning, but they are building some nice "missing middle" types of housing on a very desirable plot of land.
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 10:25 PM   #349
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regular_John View Post
I’m gonna take a leap here and assume an additional 4 years of daily use with the associated wear & tear was one of the factors that went into the decision.

Kinda like when they closed the old zoo bridge to traffic before the new one was completed because they found additional structural defects.
And if failure would mean people falling dreadfully to their death I would agree, if it just means you ask them to sign a waiver and they accept that they may lose plumbing at some point in the future why not let them stay as long as possible?
Old 05-08-2022, 11:16 PM   #350
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
And if failure would mean people falling dreadfully to their death I would agree, if it just means you ask them to sign a waiver and they accept that they may lose plumbing at some point in the future why not let them stay as long as possible?
The 100% chance that a resident would be on the news complaining that they pay rent and the city should be fixing their plumbing when it break?
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2022, 12:13 AM   #351
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
The 100% chance that a resident would be on the news complaining that they pay rent and the city should be fixing their plumbing when it break?
hence the waiver
Old 05-09-2022, 06:01 AM   #352
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
When should they have been moved?
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 06:46 AM   #353
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
They did stay as long as possible...
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 06:54 AM   #354
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some armchair sanitation engineering going on here...

AFC, what do you expect happens when sewage lines fail?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2022, 08:18 AM   #355
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
hence the waiver
Considering that the city had a bullet proof legal contract, gave them years of notice, as well as a settlement payout that was not even required, and they still have people like you and others in this thread jumping all over them...

What do you think a waiver will do in terms of public opinion when the inevitable CBC article comes out?
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Regorium For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2022, 08:55 AM   #356
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Also, There has been work going on at the site, not so much right now, but they are probably still waiting for ground to completely thaw coming out of the winter.
Old 05-09-2022, 09:00 AM   #357
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Some armchair sanitation engineering going on here...

AFC, what do you expect happens when sewage lines fail?
Sickness and disease typically.
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 09:06 AM   #358
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Sitting here today, what's the problem, exactly? Are all these residents huddled underneath a bridge somewhere burning trash in barrels to keep warm? If so, yeah, something needs to be done. My guess is they're scattered around renting apartments, basement suites or trailers elsewhere going about their lives in basically the exact same way they were before. Any evidence to the contrary?
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 09:30 AM   #359
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
[/QUOTE]

I don't mind this one TBH, it's unfortunate the project was not finished.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2022, 09:36 AM   #360
OptimalTates
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Someone already said it, but it did seem that they allowed it for as long as possible.

I use to run through that area on that dreaded 16th ave hill climb and the place hasn't been completely idle. There's been construction equipment and crews there working periodically for years, presumably removing the old infrastructure and doing engineering work for the proposed development plan. That plan was approved last year by City Council, and believe right on the intended schedule.

And with the housing market as it is, it seems like it may end up being absolutely ideal timeline to have this place hitting the market when it will be. Well maybe if anything a year or two late. But if they had people living on the land still, even with bad plumbing not being an issue, they would only be getting into the eviction process that we saw took years to do.
OptimalTates is offline   Reply With Quote