Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2024, 12:22 PM   #341
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would take Iginla over Yakemchuk. He looks like an interesting prospect as he's got a booming shot but he's a big kid that's one of the oldest players in the draft and you wonder if playing against men will nullify some of the advantages he had in junior. I just think Iginla is seems like more of a sure thing to translate to the NHL.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2024, 12:24 PM   #342
SnipeShow
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Tij would be a great addition even with some of the extra pressure that comes with his family name.

Does anyone honestly think St Louis would've been pissed to grab either tkachuk brother just because their dad played there? Unlikely I would think. If anything it's just one more benefit since these kids grew up with an elite pro already showing them how it's done and what it takes to be successful.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
SnipeShow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SnipeShow For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2024, 12:41 PM   #343
BrownDrake
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I doubt Iginla is in the top 10 of any of the flames scouts let alone a majority. It only takes 1 or 2 of the teams in front of us to go off the board a bit and you may see someone fall to you that is in your consensus top 7 or 8. Scouts aren't using nostalgia or pedigree when ranking these prospects as they are marked in the future based on their lists. Don't see it for many reasons and man is this board ever gonna erupt when we take a d-man. His great play has worked himself into the middle of the first round so if the flames get him its because they packages some other picks or made a trade that allows them to pick him in the 12 to 17 range.
BrownDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BrownDrake For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2024, 12:48 PM   #344
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownDrake View Post
I doubt Iginla is in the top 10 of any of the flames scouts let alone a majority. It only takes 1 or 2 of the teams in front of us to go off the board a bit and you may see someone fall to you that is in your consensus top 7 or 8. Scouts aren't using nostalgia or pedigree when ranking these prospects as they are marked in the future based on their lists. Don't see it for many reasons and man is this board ever gonna erupt when we take a d-man. His great play has worked himself into the middle of the first round so if the flames get him its because they packages some other picks or made a trade that allows them to pick him in the 12 to 17 range.
They could trade 29OA plus 80OA to get to 12 I suppose. They still have the Vegas 3rd.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 12:54 PM   #345
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Jersey sales are pretty irrelevant. And many people would simply bring back their old Iggy jerseys LOL.

Ticket sales matter, but a winning team matters most to ticket sales. So pick the best player.
I like your point on people donning their old Iggy jerseys.

But pretty sure someone on here ages ago had some scoop about a consulting/market research report the team commissioned to get an idea of Iggy's value to the team which included jersey sales as part of the analysis of if/when to trade him away.

Am I remembering correctly?
Old 04-23-2024, 12:56 PM   #346
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejays View Post
I’m going to take the contrarian approach and say not to draft Iggy Jr. simply because the pressure on him to live up to dad’s name will be immense. I just want them to draft the BPA at the spot they’re in.
If he is there at 9 I think there is a good chance he is the BPA
Old 04-23-2024, 01:01 PM   #347
BrownDrake
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
They could trade 29OA plus 80OA to get to 12 I suppose. They still have the Vegas 3rd.

Adding a second or third round pick hasn't typically moved someone in the first round much more than 5 to 6 spots, maybe someone will correct me but based on history the 29th and 80th maybe moves us to 23-25?? Hopefully the Canucks really suck and that 29th ends up maybe 24th, or is that even possible???

I hope they find someway to grab Tij just don't think there is much of a chance at 9th overall.
BrownDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BrownDrake For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2024, 01:14 PM   #348
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Many on CP continually underestimate what it takes to aquire top half of the first round picks, and especially top 10.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 01:20 PM   #349
Tbull8
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think our best chance is to add to a markstrom deal in order to get jersey's pick. Idk if i'd be ok with the Van pick but maybe Marky 50% + one of our 2nds for 10th and a B prospect?
Tbull8 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tbull8 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2024, 01:27 PM   #350
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Many on CP continually underestimate what it takes to aquire top half of the first round picks, and especially top 10.
We're talking a 10-14 pick. But I just posited what the Flames could potentially give. They have an extra 1st and 3rd. I guess they have an extra 2nd as well. But is this how they want to use it?
Old 04-23-2024, 01:28 PM   #351
HitterD
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownDrake View Post
Adding a second or third round pick hasn't typically moved someone in the first round much more than 5 to 6 spots, maybe someone will correct me but based on history the 29th and 80th maybe moves us to 23-25?? Hopefully the Canucks really suck and that 29th ends up maybe 24th, or is that even possible???

I hope they find someway to grab Tij just don't think there is much of a chance at 9th overall.
https://puckpedia.com/pickvalue

I use this site for pick value comparisons, i'm not sure how accurate it is but it is fun if nothing else.
HitterD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HitterD For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2024, 01:31 PM   #352
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbull8 View Post
I think our best chance is to add to a markstrom deal in order to get jersey's pick. Idk if i'd be ok with the Van pick but maybe Marky 50% + one of our 2nds for 10th and a B prospect?
I don't think 10OA was what NJ had in mind when they were talking picks back then.
Old 04-23-2024, 01:33 PM   #353
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Like a bunch of other flames fans, I would love for the flames to draft Tij. I think he’s going to have a fantastic U-18 tournament and turn even more heads. Which, unfortunate for fans like me, likely means he ends up getting picked by some other team before the flames get their chance.
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 01:43 PM   #354
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemit14 View Post
Like a bunch of other flames fans, I would love for the flames to draft Tij. I think he’s going to have a fantastic U-18 tournament and turn even more heads. Which, unfortunate for fans like me, likely means he ends up getting picked by some other team before the flames get their chance.
Simple, we win #2OA in the lottery and take him with that pick.

I'm just rooting for one of the forwards because they're more exciting to me than defenseman. Which probably means we're picking a D.
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 01:48 PM   #355
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icon View Post
Simple, we win #2OA in the lottery and take him with that pick.

I'm just rooting for one of the forwards because they're more exciting to me than defenseman. Which probably means we're picking a D.
It has been a long time since the Flames have had a true #1 defenseman
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 01:52 PM   #356
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
It has been a long time since the Flames have had a true #1 defenseman
Fair.

We can just convince Makar to come home...
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Icon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2024, 01:58 PM   #357
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

Quote:

Here's someone who did a trade-value chart for NHL picks similar to what they have for NFL picks. You can dig into their methodology yourself if you want, but for the purpose of this discussion, 29+80 = 151.8 + 22.07 = 173.87 which is the 26th pick. So a realistic expectation of trading those two picks is to move up 3-4 spots in the draft.

To get to 12th (324.46 points) the Flames would need to do something like 24+42+55 (The Canucks pick + Flames 2nd + Dallas 2nd if both the Canucks and Dallas have bad playoffs, I don't even know if that Dallas pick can be 55th, can it?)

This calculator: https://puckpedia.com/pickvalue gives lower values for later picks and indicates that a late 1st and two 2nds don't equal the 12th overall pick, so the idea of packaging picks together to get two top-12 picks is not a reality. We'd need to include players / prospects to get to the value needed.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to driveway For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2024, 01:59 PM   #358
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icon View Post
Fair.

We can just convince Makar to come home...
It is all a part of the plan!

Just don't ask me whose plan.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 02:05 PM   #359
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I don't think 29 + 80 = 12.

My memory might be falling me but I think typically late teens is worth something in the 30s + 50s. You're looking a lot higher than late teens on the return, and a lot lower than 50 on the second piece, where the primary 29 is not all that different than 30.

I think 29+41+60 would be closer to the ball park for 12, and I still think most teams would say no, unless they just aren't that high on the draft in general.

I wonder if you could look at every draft pick trade ever made and come up with a pick value curve, like every successive pick loses ~3% or 4% value over the prior.

*I haven't don't the math on old picks myself, but 4% lost value feels right, in some of the scenarios it would give you this vs 1 OA;
12 = 64%
29+41+60 = 60%
19 = 48%
32+52=42%
29+80= 36%

As I look at the formula it's probably imperfect, because the rate of change in values is probably nowhere near constant, obviously you would never trade 1 for 17+19.

edit *Driveway, beat me to it, I guess someone on the internet has already done far better math than me. that should always be the first assumption.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 02:38 PM   #360
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

2020 draft, where Rangers traded us to move up 3 spots (22 + 71 overall) for 19 and Capitals 2 spots (24 + 79 overall) for 22.

To get a sniff at around the 10-12 from the 29 spot would be 29, 2 seconds and thirst fourth
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMike For This Useful Post: