Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2024, 09:19 AM   #3561
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Must have been in the director's cut.
Old 03-13-2024, 09:25 AM   #3562
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Must have been in the director's cut.
I'm still laughing. I wish that line had been in the film. That'd be a worth a full extra point on my 'out of ten' review.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 10:16 PM   #3563
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

I finally got caught up on Discovery and Strange New Worlds. It was hard getting into Lower Decks, but glad I stuck it out. But I'll having issues with Prodigy. After four episodes, I just can't continue. Tone and look is off for me. And I'm a Voyager fan. Is it worth sticking around for?
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 10:41 PM   #3564
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW99 View Post
I finally got caught up on Discovery and Strange New Worlds. It was hard getting into Lower Decks, but glad I stuck it out. But I'll having issues with Prodigy. After four episodes, I just can't continue. Tone and look is off for me. And I'm a Voyager fan. Is it worth sticking around for?
You caught up on Discovery and you're concerned about Prodigy?

It is aimed at a much lower age demographic, which can make it tough.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2024, 10:55 PM   #3565
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watched VI The Undiscovered Country and thought it was fantastic. Very much about the cold war, this one felt like a political thriller/mystery that kept you guessing until the end. It was bitter sweet as this is the last movie with the original crew (I think) but it was a hell of a send off. My ranking of the first 6 films goes: 4, 2, 6, 3, 5, 1.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 07:29 AM   #3566
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did you watch the director’s cut where West would have gotten away with it if it weren’t for that meddling crew?
Old 03-14-2024, 12:31 PM   #3567
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW99 View Post

No, the characters (especially the main guy) are irritating as hell.
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to craigwd For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2024, 12:41 PM   #3568
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Did you watch the director’s cut where West would have gotten away with it if it weren’t for that meddling crew?

What I don't understand is why he needed a mask. I know he was bad at faces, but an approximation would have been good enough.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 04:10 PM   #3569
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Y'all have inspired me to rewatch the original six films. I haven't seen The Motion Picture in, hell, ~30 years.

(I knew I subscribed to Paramount+ for a reason!)
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sr. Mints For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2024, 04:26 PM   #3570
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
Y'all have inspired me to rewatch the original six films. I haven't seen The Motion Picture in, hell, ~30 years.

(I knew I subscribed to Paramount+ for a reason!)
"V'Ger Sends their Regards!"

Old 03-14-2024, 04:27 PM   #3571
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
What I don't understand is why he needed a mask. I know he was bad at faces, but an approximation would have been good enough.

Why did he need a mask? he was a changling

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 04:28 PM   #3572
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

I didn't like The Motion Picture when I was a kid, but now in retrospect I can see what they were trying to do with it. It's not something I'd go out of my way to watch again, but as much as I still like to joke it's "The Slow-Motion Picture", it's a fine movie.

That the real-life Voyager 1 has been sending gobbledy#### back to NASA since last November is cause for concern for this "carbon unit infesting the creator's planet"...

Last edited by timun; 03-14-2024 at 04:36 PM.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 04:33 PM   #3573
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
"V'Ger Sends their Regards!"

It's fuzzy, but I look forward to the Borg origin rabbit hole. Depending on if you're on team The Return or team Destiny Trilogy, I guess. Then there was that episode of Enterprise that muddles things . . .
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sr. Mints For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2024, 05:28 PM   #3574
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Haha yup that's the one I watched, I'm not sure what the difference between the two is but I normally just choose the one that's longer lol
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 05:48 PM   #3575
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
I didn't like The Motion Picture when I was a kid, but now in retrospect I can see what they were trying to do with it. It's not something I'd go out of my way to watch again, but as much as I still like to joke it's "The Slow-Motion Picture", it's a fine movie.

That the real-life Voyager 1 has been sending gobbledy#### back to NASA since last November is cause for concern for this "carbon unit infesting the creator's planet"...
Honest to God...the most interesting part of TMP is watching the Behind the Scenes parts. Where they interview the people involved in production.

The process of making that film was apparently a gigantic clusterfata as are most things Star Trek and it was so rushed that the film in the cans being used at the Premiere were still wet from editing because the clause they struck with the studios was so heavily punitive it was insane.

Star Trek is so beautiful. Its like this beautiful but horrible monster that lurches from one problem through to the next but somehow always manages to make it through.

Like a comedy of errors that somehow turns into something amazing.

Its like their internal motto was something like: "F' it! We'll figure it out!!"

Old 03-14-2024, 09:15 PM   #3576
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like TMP. Purdy ship, gigantic expansion of the ST universe, good Spock character growth. I don't find it nearly as slow moving as when I was younger.
Old 03-15-2024, 12:34 PM   #3577
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think the thing that really made it feel so slow for me was that I had already seen The Wrath of Khan, The Search for Spock and The Voyage Home before seeing The Motion Picture, and although I understood the context of TMP being the first time there was new live-action Star Trek content in a decade, I didn't really appreciate that context.

Why did the fly-by scene revealing the refit Enterprise last so long? Because it was the first time it had been seen in a decade, and it looked spectacular, and the filmmakers wanted to lovingly show it off.

Why did the fly-by entering V'ger's interior take so long, and mostly consist of back-and-forth shots of the special effects contrasted with the bridge crew, mouths agape? Because it was trying to establish scale that I didn't understand and appreciate watching a VHS copy on a 19" CRT TV at home. It was meant to be seen on a big screen. I couldn't tell that this:

Was supposed to be like THIS:

Spoiler!

... so that I could see the teeny, tiny little Enterprise flying by!
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 01:37 PM   #3578
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

I could've used another hour or two of seeing the refit.
Old 03-15-2024, 01:42 PM   #3579
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
I think the thing that really made it feel so slow for me was that I had already seen The Wrath of Khan, The Search for Spock and The Voyage Home before seeing The Motion Picture, and although I understood the context of TMP being the first time there was new live-action Star Trek content in a decade, I didn't really appreciate that context.

Why did the fly-by scene revealing the refit Enterprise last so long? Because it was the first time it had been seen in a decade, and it looked spectacular, and the filmmakers wanted to lovingly show it off.

Why did the fly-by entering V'ger's interior take so long, and mostly consist of back-and-forth shots of the special effects contrasted with the bridge crew, mouths agape? Because it was trying to establish scale that I didn't understand and appreciate watching a VHS copy on a 19" CRT TV at home. It was meant to be seen on a big screen. I couldn't tell that this:

Was supposed to be like THIS:

Spoiler!

... so that I could see the teeny, tiny little Enterprise flying by!
It was also the best scene in the entire film.

Whatever else you want to say about TMP that Enterprise was gorgeous.

Old 03-16-2024, 07:52 AM   #3580
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I liked TMP, I thought it was a beautifully shot movie for the time. But it was a very cold film. There was none of the humor and closeness of the crew that we were so used to coming after years of no Star Trek.

It was a Star Trek story that Gene Roddenberry always wanted to tell with no malicious enemy and a intellectual mystery to solve.

It was a shame that he was pushed to the side after this, but he kept pushing the same time travel story where the last scene was always going to be Spock standing on a grassy knoll with a rifle ensuring the death of Kennedy.

Eventually that lead to Roddenberry being pushed aside to an advisor role where nobody listened to his advice.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote