Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2024, 03:56 PM   #3561
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post
Watching the memorial cup, I still don’t see the draw for Dickinson.
Of all the D available I’d much rather almost all of them outside of giant.
His game is very pedestrian, more of a reliable 2 way game almost like a Hanifin light at this point.

I’d still rank them:

Levshunov
Parekh
Buium
Yakemchuk
Dickinson
Silayev
Hanifin was a 5th overall selection in the McJesus draft and he holds his own when it comes to a re draft.
Old 05-25-2024, 04:22 PM   #3562
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
It’s safe to say we’re getting a game-changing player at 9th OA this season. With that said, here is my top 9 based on preference:

Celebrini
Demidov
Buium
Catton
Levshunov
Dickinson
Parekh
Iginla
Silayev
There’s always guys that go in the top ten every year that don’t amount to anything though. As much as that list of nine looks really strong, history shows that a few of those guys aren’t going to be the right pick. Can’t predict though, but I do know the Flames will be the one to get the bust.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2024, 05:23 PM   #3563
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
It’s safe to say we’re getting a game-changing player at 9th OA this season. With that said, here is my top 9 based on preference:

Celebrini
Demidov
Buium
Catton
Levshunov
Dickinson
Parekh
Iginla
Silayev
There is nothing safe about that statement.

Probably 3 game changers, 3 that will be decent and 3 that will disappoint greatly.

That’s just the usual odds. Look at previous drafts, I am likely being very optimistic.

And that is probably optimistic.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2024, 05:26 PM   #3564
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Hanifin was a 5th overall selection in the McJesus draft and he holds his own when it comes to a re draft.
Hanifin is greatly underrated around here.

Vegas obviously didn’t.

He is a very good defenseman and is paid like the #2 dman he is.

One of the safer UFA (to be) signings there was, due to his age.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2024, 06:12 PM   #3565
Royle9
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Oh I don’t think Hanifin is bad, don’t get me wrong.
But Dickinson isn’t even at Hanifin’s level when he got drafted.

I think Dickinson will be lucky to be a Hanifin comparable.

I just don’t see him overly strong at anything, more of a mediocre at everything guy.. which isn’t bad but I think far from what I’d want at least.

His offense isn’t game breaking like Buium or Parekh.
He doesn’t have the speed and silky skating like Levshunov.
His defensive game isn’t as strong as Silayev.
He doesn’t play an in your face game like Yakemchuk, not hard on bodies.

Nothing stands out, which for me isn’t the kind of pick you want to swing for the fences with when there’s so much more talent available.

I will gladly eat crow if he turns into something more special, but I just don’t see it.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Royle9 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2024, 06:56 PM   #3566
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I just don’t see him overly strong at anything, more of a mediocre at everything guy.. which isn’t bad but I think far from what I’d want at least.

Nothing stands out, which for me isn’t the kind of pick you want to swing for the fences with when there’s so much more talent available.

I will gladly eat crow if he turns into something more special, but I just don’t see it.
Yet he seems so highly rated.

I guess time will tell.
Old 05-25-2024, 07:34 PM   #3567
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Im kind of with you on your take. Not his quality of play but more about what he's competing against at pick 9. I suspect he'll be gone regardless come pick 9, and I wouldn't take him over any forward projected to be in the Flames window save maybe Eiserman.
Old 05-25-2024, 07:37 PM   #3568
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

As for my preferences as we get closer to the draft.

Based on what the rankings have loosely put around the Flames I'm 100 percent all about Lindstrom, followed by Helenius and then Catton, and then any of the D men, then Iggy JR.

God it's gonna be a good draft day.

I'm kind of hoping Conroy can snag another top 15 pick. Walking out with a Center and a Defenseman and maybe another player would be the kind of fresh approach we're hoping for.
Old 05-25-2024, 07:46 PM   #3569
Royle9
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Yet he seems so highly rated.

I guess time will tell.
It will, but it happens every year, guys highly rated that never turn out.
I'm not going to list them all but "recent" D men selected early who didn't pan out.

Broberg
Juolevi
Fleury
Murray
Reinhart
Old 05-25-2024, 08:18 PM   #3570
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think that Dickinson’s accomplishments have been lost in a draft that includes game-changing defensemen with supernatural numbers. Dickinson’s numbers (70 points in 68 games) are elite for a first-time draft eligible- there aren’t many top defensemen in the league that have reached numbers like his, just try to find one. Morgan Reilly, Aaron Ekblad, Josh Morrisey, Alex Pietrangelo- none of them put up numbers like Dickinson. I’ve compared him to Pietrangelo in the past, but he’ll put up more offense than AP while providing a steady defensive presence. In any other year, everyone would be in awe of him, he’s elite.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2024, 08:24 PM   #3571
Fan69
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
I think that Dickinson’s accomplishments have been lost in a draft that includes game-changing defensemen with supernatural numbers. Dickinson’s numbers (70 points in 68 games) are elite for a first-time draft eligible- there aren’t many top defensemen in the league that have reached numbers like his, just try to find one. Morgan Reilly, Aaron Ekblad, Josh Morrisey, Alex Pietrangelo- none of them put up numbers like Dickinson. I’ve compared him to Pietrangelo in the past, but he’ll put up more offense than AP while providing a steady defensive presence. In any other year, everyone would be in awe of him, he’s elite.
He looks pedestrian because he makes it look easy at this level.
Fan69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2024, 08:46 PM   #3572
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan69 View Post
He looks pedestrian because he makes it look easy at this level.
Well said. He’s a top-tier two-way defenseman who’s beautiful to watch. So smooth.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2024, 08:52 PM   #3573
Fan69
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Well said. He’s a top-tier two-way defenseman who’s beautiful to watch. So smooth.
This draft is a defensive smorgasbord.
Old 05-25-2024, 09:37 PM   #3574
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Dickinson is slightly overrated IMO, he'll be a good all-around defenseman in the NHL but not likely a #1, I think he'll be the 3rd or 4th Dman taken, then again I'm always skeptical on players playing on stacked teams as well
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2024, 07:02 AM   #3575
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Sounds like a solid pick. All situation +20min/night Dmen are worth their weight in gold. Would Hieskanen fit as a comparable as well?

If the Flames get Dickinson at 9, hard to be fussed about that, I think.
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TOfan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2024, 07:48 AM   #3576
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He is the best dman I have ever seen live at the OHL level and I have been watching the OHL live for the past 9 years since I moved to Ontario.
Aarongavey is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Aarongavey For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2024, 07:49 AM   #3577
Royle9
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Dickinson is slightly overrated IMO, he'll be a good all-around defenseman in the NHL but not likely a #1, I think he'll be the 3rd or 4th Dman taken, then again I'm always skeptical on players playing on stacked teams as well
I think so too.

Levshunov, Buium and Parekh all go before him I think.
Both Parekh and Buium have put up generational numbers never seen in their leagues respectively and that needs to be held in comparison to Dickinson numbers as well.

But the eye test is what’s set them apart for me, when you watch these other 3 they stand out and can carry the play game to game and it’s very noticeable.

Time will tell and this is why I love hearing different opinions on here, yours is definitely not ignored Sandman, I just view these 3 as better options.
Old 05-26-2024, 08:17 AM   #3578
Fan69
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I think so too.

Levshunov, Buium and Parekh all go before him I think.
Both Parekh and Buium have put up generational numbers never seen in their leagues respectively and that needs to be held in comparison to Dickinson numbers as well.

But the eye test is what’s set them apart for me, when you watch these other 3 they stand out and can carry the play game to game and it’s very noticeable.

Time will tell and this is why I love hearing different opinions on here, yours is definitely not ignored Sandman, I just view these 3 as better options.

I think thats why this draft is so interesting. Not often we see multiple players at the same position putting up the kind of numbers we are seeing with this draft class. As far as defencemen go anway.

The top ten or twelve are like a choose your own adventure. Not sure their is a bad choice but lots of personal preference.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fan69 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2024, 08:19 AM   #3579
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
It took him a long time

Still he is a softy who often choked on big games

I hope the Flames don’t end up with another Hanifin
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 08:57 AM   #3580
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan05 View Post
It took him a long time

Still he is a softy who often choked on big games

I hope the Flames don’t end up with another Hanifin
Pretty unfair post in my mind.

If you don't like the player, state it. But "softy" and "choke" are just ugly.

Noah Hanifin is a very good hockey player. He doesn't lead with physicality, but was certainly never a liability from avoiding it.

Some people just don't see it ... looking for/at different things I guess.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:

Tags
2024 nhl draft , nhl draft