Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2023, 03:21 PM   #3541
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Twitter is working great and keeps getting better. Looking forward to new features especially the monetizing option.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 03:30 PM   #3542
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Twitter is working great and keeps getting better. Looking forward to new features especially the monetizing option.

Looking forward? Did they already roll back their monetization feature? Lol.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 03:58 PM   #3543
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
Looking forward?
Is there a super far left alternative you prefer? I'm sure there is and it's very popular but I only see Tweets embedded on this site.
Old 06-20-2023, 04:11 PM   #3544
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Weird nerd meme here?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2023, 06:51 PM   #3545
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Is there a super far left alternative you prefer? I'm sure there is and it's very popular but I only see Tweets embedded on this site.

I guess you don't have the follower count to utilize the monetization feature they launched two months ago that you're looking forward to?
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 07:53 PM   #3546
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
I guess you don't have the follower count to utilize the monetization feature they launched two months ago that you're looking forward to?
Don't know, I'm not looking to monetize myself. But it will help the platform grow and become a viable alternative to Youtube which is badly needed.
Old 06-20-2023, 08:12 PM   #3547
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Because Twitter, as it is poised now and in the foreseeable future, is any serious competition to Youtube.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2023, 08:47 PM   #3548
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Don't know, I'm not looking to monetize myself. But it will help the platform grow and become a viable alternative to Youtube which is badly needed.
Lol. To YouTube. I hope Oreo cookies become an alternative to Phillips head screwdrivers.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Barnes For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2023, 08:57 PM   #3549
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

I can appreciate the consistency of someone who can come up with one of the dumbest possible takes on almost any topic, have it immediately corrected, and then respond by suggesting people who correct him are leftists, almost every time.

Let’s face it, Twitter is going down the tubes YO
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2023, 10:16 PM   #3550
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why would you be looking forward to a monetization feature you have no plan of taking advantage of it? Like do people watch regular Youtube and get really get excited about watching ads?
Old 06-20-2023, 10:31 PM   #3551
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I can appreciate the consistency of someone who can come up with one of the dumbest possible takes on almost any topic, have it immediately corrected, and then respond by suggesting people who correct him are leftists, almost every time.

The lack of self-awareness from these types is always hilarious. We're not making fun of you because you're on the right and we're on the left. We're making fun of you because you just said something so profoundly stupid that it left us with no other options.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2023, 10:31 PM   #3552
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post

Quoted for future use.
Old 06-20-2023, 10:43 PM   #3553
wireframe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
without context, I don't know if that's useful information. Your new guy seems to indicate that's sufficient.
how many were there before Musk fired everyone? What's the minimum needed to keep the thing running properly? how many are too busy working on whatever Musks whims are and are not doing their actual job?

too many questions.
Typo. I meant to say 25 percent of the engineering staff. 75 percent have been laid off and the remaining 25 percent are keeping the app running fine.
wireframe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wireframe For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2023, 10:46 PM   #3554
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Twitter a viable alternative to YouTube? What logic is this? TikTok is the undisputed king of the video format at the moment, and even YouTube is following their example with YouTube shorts. Twitter and Elon are trying to be a bastion of 'free speech' in a microblogging format (and failing miserably at it).

Then you have everything from Twitch to Vimeo to Dailymotion, and everything in between as actual, legitimate alternatives.

An alternative to YouTube is badly needed and Twitter trying to be that is some serious mental gymnastics on the verge of tripe.

Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 10:51 PM   #3555
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Twitter a viable alternative to YouTube? What logic is this? TikTok is the undisputed king of the video format at the moment, and even YouTube is following their example with YouTube shorts. Twitter and Elon are trying to be a bastion of 'free speech' in a microblogging format (and failing miserably at it).

Then you have everything from Twitch to Vimeo to Dailymotion, and everything in between as actual, legitimate alternatives.

An alternative to YouTube is badly needed and Twitter trying to be that is some serious mental gymnastics on the verge of tripe.

HAHA, you're not well. Twitter is the 4th most visited site on the web Vimeo and Dailymotion are irrelevant. Google is #1 YT #2.
Old 06-20-2023, 10:54 PM   #3556
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

In what world is Twitter trying to be the next YouTube?

These are two entirely different platforms.

Please, indulge us.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 11:05 PM   #3557
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Being the 4th most-visited site doesn’t mean it’s a good candidate for a video streaming service. For all of it’s warts, YT is pretty good and I don’t see Twitter encroaching in that space at all, unless Elon can buy Twitch or Tiktok and fold them into Twitter.

Twitcher? Twittok?
Old 06-20-2023, 11:07 PM   #3558
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Being the 4th most-visited site doesn’t mean it’s a good candidate for a video streaming service. For all of it’s warts, YT is pretty good and I don’t see Twitter encroaching in that space at all, unless Elon can buy Twitch or Tiktok and fold them into Twitter.

Twitcher? Twittok?
Flush.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 11:14 PM   #3559
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Rumble is the closest to YouTube in terms of direct competition isn't it? I mean it's a fraction the size, but it's growing. Mind you not sure if it's growing because of broad general growth, or because it's the best place for info on how every sudden death is caused by the COIVD vaccines...
Old 06-20-2023, 11:17 PM   #3560
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Being the 4th most-visited site doesn’t mean it’s a good candidate for a video streaming service.
Of course it does. You have the eyeballs that like to visit and people like video as part of their social media.

Dumb comment is dumb, and will age poorly. Twitter video is already growing rapidly.